www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.ide - Best IDE

reply "Brandon Ragland" <brags callmemaybe.com> writes:
Just curious who thinks what IDE is best?

I don't think any IDE is perfect, and I've been using Eclipse 
with DDT and have been having a good time with it. However I 
don't particularly like Eclipse much, and was wondering what 
others though?

I don't use Windows myself so I couldn't use VisualD or anything 
like that or try it out.

-Brandon
Jul 29 2015
next sibling parent reply Daniel =?UTF-8?B?S296w6Fr?= <kozzi dlang.cz> writes:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 00:20:11 +0000
"Brandon Ragland" <brags callmemaybe.com> wrote:

 Just curious who thinks what IDE is best?
 
 I don't think any IDE is perfect, and I've been using Eclipse 
 with DDT and have been having a good time with it. However I 
 don't particularly like Eclipse much, and was wondering what 
 others though?
 
 I don't use Windows myself so I couldn't use VisualD or anything 
 like that or try it out.
 
 -Brandon
I really like Jetbrains products (IntellijIDEA, Phpstorm, CLion ...), unfortunatly there is no full support for D in any of them :(. So I use DDT and MonoD, however I am not big fan of eclipse and MonoDevelop neither.
Jul 30 2015
parent reply "Zekereth" <viserion.thrall gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 07:44:12 UTC, Daniel Kozák wrote:
 On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 00:20:11 +0000
 "Brandon Ragland" <brags callmemaybe.com> wrote:

 Just curious who thinks what IDE is best?
 
 I don't think any IDE is perfect, and I've been using Eclipse 
 with DDT and have been having a good time with it. However I 
 don't particularly like Eclipse much, and was wondering what 
 others though?
 
 I don't use Windows myself so I couldn't use VisualD or 
 anything like that or try it out.
 
 -Brandon
I really like Jetbrains products (IntellijIDEA, Phpstorm, CLion ...), unfortunatly there is no full support for D in any of them :(. So I use DDT and MonoD, however I am not big fan of eclipse and MonoDevelop neither.
I was really hopeful about an IntellijIDEA plugin https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage but then he updated the readme with "PLEASE NOTE - This project is not being actively maintained at the moment - I am taking a break - not sure when I will return." There are also two other attempts that are also abandoned.
Aug 02 2015
parent reply "Kingsley" <kingsley.hendrickse gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 2 August 2015 at 20:46:00 UTC, Zekereth wrote:
 On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 07:44:12 UTC, Daniel Kozák wrote:
 On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 00:20:11 +0000
 "Brandon Ragland" <brags callmemaybe.com> wrote:

 Just curious who thinks what IDE is best?
 
 I don't think any IDE is perfect, and I've been using Eclipse 
 with DDT and have been having a good time with it. However I 
 don't particularly like Eclipse much, and was wondering what 
 others though?
 
 I don't use Windows myself so I couldn't use VisualD or 
 anything like that or try it out.
 
 -Brandon
I really like Jetbrains products (IntellijIDEA, Phpstorm, CLion ...), unfortunatly there is no full support for D in any of them :(. So I use DDT and MonoD, however I am not big fan of eclipse and MonoDevelop neither.
I was really hopeful about an IntellijIDEA plugin https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage but then he updated the readme with "PLEASE NOTE - This project is not being actively maintained at the moment - I am taking a break - not sure when I will return." There are also two other attempts that are also abandoned.
If someone will volunteer to help me write the D parser in intellij I will continue with the plugin. The reason the project stalled is because I was using the DDT parser and the way its hooked into intellij caused massive performance problems. I think the only way to have acceptable speed is to implement the D parser in the intellij supported way. Which does not support left recursion. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to convert the current D grammar into the format intellij wants - I have even tried to pay people to help me - but with no success. I love using intellij - but you have to do it their way if you want to create plugins for it - which unfortunately sucks. When I say volunteer to help - I mean contribute hours, weeks and months of sustained effort on a regular and constant basis until the basic parsing is done. Once the grammar is parsable I can add all the other stuff that makes working in intellij awesome.
Aug 07 2015
parent reply Rikki Cattermole <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
On 8/08/2015 7:00 a.m., Kingsley wrote:
 On Sunday, 2 August 2015 at 20:46:00 UTC, Zekereth wrote:
 On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 07:44:12 UTC, Daniel Kozák wrote:
 On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 00:20:11 +0000
 "Brandon Ragland" <brags callmemaybe.com> wrote:

 Just curious who thinks what IDE is best?

 I don't think any IDE is perfect, and I've been using Eclipse with
 DDT and have been having a good time with it. However I don't
 particularly like Eclipse much, and was wondering what others though?

 I don't use Windows myself so I couldn't use VisualD or anything
 like that or try it out.

 -Brandon
I really like Jetbrains products (IntellijIDEA, Phpstorm, CLion ...), unfortunatly there is no full support for D in any of them :(. So I use DDT and MonoD, however I am not big fan of eclipse and MonoDevelop neither.
I was really hopeful about an IntellijIDEA plugin https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage but then he updated the readme with "PLEASE NOTE - This project is not being actively maintained at the moment - I am taking a break - not sure when I will return." There are also two other attempts that are also abandoned.
If someone will volunteer to help me write the D parser in intellij I will continue with the plugin. The reason the project stalled is because I was using the DDT parser and the way its hooked into intellij caused massive performance problems. I think the only way to have acceptable speed is to implement the D parser in the intellij supported way. Which does not support left recursion. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to convert the current D grammar into the format intellij wants - I have even tried to pay people to help me - but with no success. I love using intellij - but you have to do it their way if you want to create plugins for it - which unfortunately sucks. When I say volunteer to help - I mean contribute hours, weeks and months of sustained effort on a regular and constant basis until the basic parsing is done. Once the grammar is parsable I can add all the other stuff that makes working in intellij awesome.
Have you reconsidered going my original way of using a D tool to produce the AST? Like DScanner.
Aug 07 2015
parent reply "Kingsley" <kingsley.hendrickse gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 8 August 2015 at 02:57:27 UTC, Rikki Cattermole 
wrote:
 On 8/08/2015 7:00 a.m., Kingsley wrote:
 On Sunday, 2 August 2015 at 20:46:00 UTC, Zekereth wrote:
 [...]
If someone will volunteer to help me write the D parser in intellij I will continue with the plugin. The reason the project stalled is because I was using the DDT parser and the way its hooked into intellij caused massive performance problems. I think the only way to have acceptable speed is to implement the D parser in the intellij supported way. Which does not support left recursion. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to convert the current D grammar into the format intellij wants - I have even tried to pay people to help me - but with no success. I love using intellij - but you have to do it their way if you want to create plugins for it - which unfortunately sucks. When I say volunteer to help - I mean contribute hours, weeks and months of sustained effort on a regular and constant basis until the basic parsing is done. Once the grammar is parsable I can add all the other stuff that makes working in intellij awesome.
Have you reconsidered going my original way of using a D tool to produce the AST? Like DScanner.
yeah but it's integrating an external parser that causes the performance issues - no matter if that parser is written in D or Java or whatever. The only way to not kill the performance is to write the parser using intellij's infrastructure.
Aug 08 2015
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 08/08/15 15:08, Kingsley wrote:

 yeah but it's integrating an external parser that causes the performance
 issues - no matter if that parser is written in D or Java or whatever.
 The only way to not kill the performance is to write the parser using
 intellij's infrastructure.
How integrated is that infrastructure in the parser? Can you use an existing external parser and add the integration on top? -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 09 2015
parent "Kingsley" <kingsley.hendrickse gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 9 August 2015 at 11:03:21 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 08/08/15 15:08, Kingsley wrote:

 yeah but it's integrating an external parser that causes the 
 performance
 issues - no matter if that parser is written in D or Java or 
 whatever.
 The only way to not kill the performance is to write the 
 parser using
 intellij's infrastructure.
How integrated is that infrastructure in the parser? Can you use an existing external parser and add the integration on top?
Unfortunately not - there is no performant way to use an external parser. Even using an external parser is not possible without major hackery - which is the main source of the performance issues.
Aug 11 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent "karabuta" <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 00:20:12 UTC, Brandon Ragland wrote:
 Just curious who thinks what IDE is best?

 I don't think any IDE is perfect, and I've been using Eclipse 
 with DDT and have been having a good time with it. However I 
 don't particularly like Eclipse much, and was wondering what 
 others though?

 I don't use Windows myself so I couldn't use VisualD or 
 anything like that or try it out.

 -Brandon
I personally like it when my code looks beautiful an pretty, so I use Atom text editor on Ubuntu. It can compile D source code using the "script" packages. I looks great for my taste although it is not an IDE, but has most of the functionality I usually need.
Jul 30 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent =?UTF-8?B?IkFuZHLDqSI=?= <spam spambog.com> writes:
On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 00:20:12 UTC, Brandon Ragland wrote:
 Just curious who thinks what IDE is best?

 I don't think any IDE is perfect, and I've been using Eclipse 
 with DDT and have been having a good time with it. However I 
 don't particularly like Eclipse much, and was wondering what 
 others though?

 I don't use Windows myself so I couldn't use VisualD or 
 anything like that or try it out.

 -Brandon
I use QtCreator for my daily C++ stuff and I really got used to it because it has a very good code editor, project management and version control integration. If you learn all its shortcuts you don't need to leave your fingers from the keyboard anymore. And there is a D plugin using DCD for code completion: https://github.com/Groterik/qtcreator-dlangeditor And this plugin (by the same author) enables DUB project integration: https://github.com/Groterik/qtcreator-dubmanager. I am using both plugins with QtCreator on a D project and I am very satisfied with that solution.. Cheers, André
Aug 05 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent "Dave Akers" <dave dazoe.net> writes:
On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 00:20:12 UTC, Brandon Ragland wrote:
 Just curious who thinks what IDE is best?

 I don't think any IDE is perfect, and I've been using Eclipse 
 with DDT and have been having a good time with it. However I 
 don't particularly like Eclipse much, and was wondering what 
 others though?

 I don't use Windows myself so I couldn't use VisualD or 
 anything like that or try it out.

 -Brandon
I bounce back and forth from windows to linux. What I use is sublime text, it's a very versatile cross-platform IDE. It has support for third party plugins, and very customize-able build system (even though I normally just use it to call build.sh / build.bat). the out-put of the build system can be configured to open the file and jump to the line number when you double click on a warning or error. Links- http://sublimetext.com/3 https://github.com/yazd/DKit -- Package/plugin for sublime https://github.com/Hackerpilot/DCD -- Auto-complete util used by DKit, has a few bugs but works most of the time. -Dave
Aug 20 2015
prev sibling parent "karabuta" <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 00:20:12 UTC, Brandon Ragland wrote:
 Just curious who thinks what IDE is best?

 I don't think any IDE is perfect, and I've been using Eclipse 
 with DDT and have been having a good time with it. However I 
 don't particularly like Eclipse much, and was wondering what 
 others though?

 I don't use Windows myself so I couldn't use VisualD or 
 anything like that or try it out.

 -Brandon
I use Atom Text Editor on Ubuntu. Atom has a nice syntax coloring functionality as well as many packages you can install to give you more. In fact, packages can be written in Atom to do almost any task(D programming related tasks). Some of the interesting packages I use include: 1. language-d - D support and auto-completion 2. d-struct - Running dub projects, etc. 3. term - using terminal within the editor (great when u want to run code using both dub and manual 4. atom-clang and language-c - support and linting c code with clang installed 5. atom-dlang - also D support, but I use it and language-d 6. tested - code testing, unittest, profiling, mmHH I guess. Any way try it. 7. script - For running D code with Ctrl + Shift + B (Auto detects the programming language and does compilation and linking automatically). Also displays result in the editors' terminal. 8. tool-bar - provides a toolbar in the editor for click and execute (used by some packages to present icons buttons). Required for "tested" package 9. linter-dscanner - works in conjunction with Dscanner (I haven't figured how to get it to work yet. These will also give you some extra convenience: 1. minimap - Gives you side minimap like you find in sublime text editor 2. atom-beautify - code beatification :) I also use "consolas" font which makes my code look like ice cream. There are tones of packages for almost every programming language as well as themes. If you like sublime, I think you will love Atom. Check it out at atom.io. (linux, windows, mac, etc.)
Aug 22 2015