www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - The Cross Plattform DWT

reply Frank Benoit <keinfarbton googlemail.com> writes:
Dear D community

We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
- DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
- DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux

Both projects will be a manual port of the SWT 3.3 with tango compatibility.

Status DWT-Linux:
Completed:
	dnd, custom, widgets, events,
	graphics, accessibitly, printing, layout
Missing:
	browser, program

First helloworld example running
Size with debug info/strip/upx: 4,8 MB/1,8 MB/0,5 MB

Help is welcome:
All ported code is pretty untested. Examples are needed.
The official SWT examples should be ported to show the functionality of 
the widgets.
They can serve as a test and also as programming examples.

Frank
Jan 19 2008
next sibling parent Marcin Kuszczak <aarti_please_no spam_interia.pl> writes:
Frank Benoit wrote:

 Dear D community
 
 We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
 - DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
 - DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux
 
 Both projects will be a manual port of the SWT 3.3 with tango
 compatibility.
 
 Status DWT-Linux:
 Completed:
 dnd, custom, widgets, events,
 graphics, accessibitly, printing, layout
 Missing:
 browser, program
 
 First helloworld example running
 Size with debug info/strip/upx: 4,8 MB/1,8 MB/0,5 MB
 
 Help is welcome:
 All ported code is pretty untested. Examples are needed.
 The official SWT examples should be ported to show the functionality of
 the widgets.
 They can serve as a test and also as programming examples.
 
 Frank

Wow! I am pretty impressed! I was waiting for quite a long time for a good GUI toolkit for D: my requirements were: a. cross platform b. native look and feel c. native D implementation and now I hope that this time the dream will come true... :-) Keep up the good work! -- Regards Marcin Kuszczak (Aarti_pl) ------------------------------------- Ask me why I believe in Jesus - http://www.zapytajmnie.com (en/pl) Doost (port of few Boost libraries) - http://www.dsource.org/projects/doost/ -------------------------------------
Jan 19 2008
prev sibling next sibling parent reply torhu <no spam.invalid> writes:
Frank Benoit wrote:
 Dear D community
 
 We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
 - DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
 - DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux

Great, I've been waiting for this!
 
 Both projects will be a manual port of the SWT 3.3 with tango compatibility.

Well, let's hope tangobos can do the trick, with the help of some version (Tango) statements. Do you know anything about compatibility with the original DWT?
Jan 19 2008
parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
torhu wrote:

 Frank Benoit wrote:
 Dear D community
 
 We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
 - DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
 - DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux

Great, I've been waiting for this!
 
 Both projects will be a manual port of the SWT 3.3 with tango
 compatibility.

Well, let's hope tangobos can do the trick, with the help of some version (Tango) statements.

This might be possible, but we haven't got that far yet. :)
 
 Do you know anything about compatibility with the original DWT?

The original dwt was based on swt 3.02 (and win32 only). The new versions for linux and win32 are being ported from swt 3.3. So, as far as compatibility is concerned, these should be as compatible as the 3.02 and 3.3 versions of swt will be. Strings in original dwt were char[] instead of Java "String"... this is the same in the new dwt ports. Furthermore, we are adding the option of a dynamic loader system similar to Gtkd. This may simplify some things... but for now it will be optional. In summary, as far as I can tell, they old and new should look and feel much the same, but I guess proof of this will only be evident when dwt based software is rebuilt with new the dwt. I particularly look forward to seeing poseidon ported to both dwt-win and dwt-linux. Perhaps that will be the ultimate test. :) Incidentally, the win32 port of dwt to 3.3 has just begun... the dwt-linux port is much further along. -JJR
Jan 19 2008
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Eric Suen" <eric.suen.tech gmail.com> writes:
Hi,

 One if my application is base on DWT, I will try to using
your version if I got time.

this is DWT version: http://www.agpad.com/
and this is Java one: http://www.spket.com/

Regards

Eric

"Frank Benoit" <keinfarbton googlemail.com>
 Dear D community

 We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
 - DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
 - DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux

 Both projects will be a manual port of the SWT 3.3 with tango compatibility.

 Status DWT-Linux:
 Completed:
 dnd, custom, widgets, events,
 graphics, accessibitly, printing, layout
 Missing:
 browser, program

 First helloworld example running
 Size with debug info/strip/upx: 4,8 MB/1,8 MB/0,5 MB

 Help is welcome:
 All ported code is pretty untested. Examples are needed.
 The official SWT examples should be ported to show the functionality of the 
 widgets.
 They can serve as a test and also as programming examples.

 Frank 

Jan 19 2008
parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Eric Suen wrote:

 Hi,
 
  One if my application is base on DWT, I will try to using
 your version if I got time.
 
 this is DWT version: http://www.agpad.com/
 and this is Java one: http://www.spket.com/
 
 Regards
 
 Eric
 

Nice! You'll be using the windows port, then. Hopefully you will need very few changes to get it working. As mentioned earlier, one thing that might be a problem is the use of Tango (the previous version of dwt used Phobos), but perhaps we can work on a solution that makes this easier on you. Maybe Tangobos might have some application here. -JJR
Jan 20 2008
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Bjoern <nanali nospam-wanadoo.fr> writes:
Frank Benoit schrieb:
 Dear D community
 
 We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
 - DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
 - DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux
 The official SWT examples should be ported to show the functionality of 
 the widgets.
 Frank

Just one word : Incredible. Thanks ! Does it make sense, to port the SWT snippets ? this ones : http://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/ I like to suggest to support /groups/ like dwt.group.layout (Tango like) Bjoern
Jan 20 2008
next sibling parent reply Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> writes:
Bjoern wrote:
 Frank Benoit schrieb:
 Dear D community

 We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
 - DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
 - DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux
 The official SWT examples should be ported to show the functionality 
 of the widgets.
 Frank

Just one word : Incredible. Thanks ! Does it make sense, to port the SWT snippets ? this ones : http://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/ I like to suggest to support /groups/ like dwt.group.layout (Tango like) Bjoern

What's the story with DWT-Win? Is it just in planning at this stage? There's not much on the web dsource page. Also why two projects? Won't they share most of the same source code? Just curious. --bb
Jan 20 2008
parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Bill Baxter wrote:

 Bjoern wrote:
 Frank Benoit schrieb:
 Dear D community

 We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
 - DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
 - DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux
 The official SWT examples should be ported to show the functionality
 of the widgets.
 Frank

Just one word : Incredible. Thanks ! Does it make sense, to port the SWT snippets ? this ones : http://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/ I like to suggest to support /groups/ like dwt.group.layout (Tango like) Bjoern

What's the story with DWT-Win? Is it just in planning at this stage? There's not much on the web dsource page. Also why two projects? Won't they share most of the same source code? Just curious. --bb

Yes, the win port has just started; I have not yet committed any ported source... No they don't share much source code (other than perhaps a few highlevel sections). The implementation of widgets on linux uses gtk+/cairo, while the implementation on win32 graphics/system calls. It's quite a bit of work. It would be a mess to integrate both projects into one (using version statements). If anyone is interested in helping please let Frank or me know. DWT-win was announced at the same time so that people understood our intent to support both. We actually both started work on the Linux port first. -JJR
Jan 20 2008
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Frank Benoit <keinfarbton googlemail.com> writes:
Bjoern schrieb:
 Does it make sense, to port the SWT snippets ?
 this ones : http://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/

Sure, that would be great. I you want to start, please talk to me first. So I can prepare the sources in the same way, i did it on the rest. As said in the dwt-linux homepage, in the moment i am working on the examples. this ones: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/examples.php Frank
Jan 20 2008
parent reply doob <doobnet gmail.com> writes:
Frank Benoit wrote:
 Bjoern schrieb:
 Does it make sense, to port the SWT snippets ?
 this ones : http://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/

Sure, that would be great. I you want to start, please talk to me first. So I can prepare the sources in the same way, i did it on the rest. As said in the dwt-linux homepage, in the moment i am working on the examples. this ones: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/examples.php Frank

This is great news and I would be happy to help. I can help testing both the linux and windows version. Any plans on an osx version?
Jan 20 2008
next sibling parent reply Frank Benoit <keinfarbton googlemail.com> writes:
doob schrieb:
 This is great news and I would be happy to help. I can help testing both 
 the linux and windows version. Any plans on an osx version?

No plans for OSX for now. Doing this means to do the whole port again, because OSX will use the native widget from OSX and so its implementation is very different from the gtk/win. But, if you want to start this, you are welcome. I can assist with some swt specific knowledge and experience how to do the porting efficient.
Jan 20 2008
parent reply doob <doobnet gmail.com> writes:
Frank Benoit wrote:
 doob schrieb:
 This is great news and I would be happy to help. I can help testing 
 both the linux and windows version. Any plans on an osx version?

No plans for OSX for now. Doing this means to do the whole port again, because OSX will use the native widget from OSX and so its implementation is very different from the gtk/win. But, if you want to start this, you are welcome. I can assist with some swt specific knowledge and experience how to do the porting efficient.

I thought it was quite a big different between win and gtk and that it also would about be that to osx.
Jan 21 2008
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
doob wrote:

 Frank Benoit wrote:
 doob schrieb:
 This is great news and I would be happy to help. I can help testing 
 both the linux and windows version. Any plans on an osx version?

No plans for OSX for now. Doing this means to do the whole port again, because OSX will use the native widget from OSX and so its implementation is very different from the gtk/win. But, if you want to start this, you are welcome. I can assist with some swt specific knowledge and experience how to do the porting efficient.

I thought it was quite a big different between win and gtk and that it also would about be that to osx.

One of the problems when doing native Mac OS X support for the other two SWT ports (DWT/3.0 and Tioport/3.2) was interfacing with the system headers for either of Carbon or Cocoa frameworks. First was converting the headers to D (either all of it, or just "extern" the snippets needed) and second was shipping this API conversion in some format that doesn't violate Apple copyrights. For SWT this is solved by a) using C so they can link directly to the system headers by #include and b) getting Apple consent. DWT would probably also have to solve both issues for Mac OS X ? wxD works around this problem by using C++ to access the system headers, and by not needing to ship any GUI system API interfaces. And besides, it just uses the wxWidgets libraries to handle that... --anders PS. Same goes for the Code::Blocks support, which also uses C++. (i.e. instead of porting C::B over to D, it just extends it using C++ and the Squirrel scripting language for D support) Like http://wxd.sourceforge.net/wxd-codeblocks-wizard.png
Feb 21 2008
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Anders F Bj÷rklund wrote:
 doob wrote:
 
 Frank Benoit wrote:
 doob schrieb:
 This is great news and I would be happy to help. I can help testing 
 both the linux and windows version. Any plans on an osx version?

No plans for OSX for now. Doing this means to do the whole port again, because OSX will use the native widget from OSX and so its implementation is very different from the gtk/win. But, if you want to start this, you are welcome. I can assist with some swt specific knowledge and experience how to do the porting efficient.

I thought it was quite a big different between win and gtk and that it also would about be that to osx.

One of the problems when doing native Mac OS X support for the other two SWT ports (DWT/3.0 and Tioport/3.2) was interfacing with the system headers for either of Carbon or Cocoa frameworks. First was converting the headers to D (either all of it, or just "extern" the snippets needed) and second was shipping this API conversion in some format that doesn't violate Apple copyrights. For SWT this is solved by a) using C so they can link directly to the system headers by #include and b) getting Apple consent. DWT would probably also have to solve both issues for Mac OS X ?

The SWT team needed Apple consent to use the C system headers? :( -JJR
Feb 21 2008
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
John Reimer wrote:

 The SWT team needed Apple consent to use the C system headers? :(

No, but to reproduce the Carbon API (although in a Java form) " Copyright ę 2004 Apple Computer, Inc. This text and the following notice must be retained and reproduced in their entirety with all redistributions of this project: IMPORTANT NOTICE: This project, which consists of certain Java bindings, includes or otherwise makes references to application programming interfaces (APIs) that are owned by Apple Computer, Inc., including but not limited to certain Apple Carbon APIs. While you may use, copy, modify and redistribute this Java bindings project in accordance with the terms of the Eclipse Public License (EPL) version 1.0, you are not granted any rights under any Apple or third party intellectual property rights (including without limitation, patent, copyright, trademark and trade secret rights) to Apple's Carbon API header files themselves, nor to any underlying implementations of any Apple Carbon APIs or to any functionality that is invoked by calling any of those APIs. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you understand that it is not Apple's intention by way of this project to authorize the reverse engineering of the Java bindings into Apple's original Carbon.h header files." I think you would need a similar note before shipping the Carbon API headers converted from C to D, for instance ? --anders
Feb 21 2008
prev sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doobnet gmail.com> writes:
Anders F Bj÷rklund wrote:
 doob wrote:
 
 Frank Benoit wrote:
 doob schrieb:
 This is great news and I would be happy to help. I can help testing 
 both the linux and windows version. Any plans on an osx version?

No plans for OSX for now. Doing this means to do the whole port again, because OSX will use the native widget from OSX and so its implementation is very different from the gtk/win. But, if you want to start this, you are welcome. I can assist with some swt specific knowledge and experience how to do the porting efficient.

I thought it was quite a big different between win and gtk and that it also would about be that to osx.

One of the problems when doing native Mac OS X support for the other two SWT ports (DWT/3.0 and Tioport/3.2) was interfacing with the system headers for either of Carbon or Cocoa frameworks. First was converting the headers to D (either all of it, or just "extern" the snippets needed) and second was shipping this API conversion in some format that doesn't violate Apple copyrights. For SWT this is solved by a) using C so they can link directly to the system headers by #include and b) getting Apple consent. DWT would probably also have to solve both issues for Mac OS X ? wxD works around this problem by using C++ to access the system headers, and by not needing to ship any GUI system API interfaces. And besides, it just uses the wxWidgets libraries to handle that... --anders PS. Same goes for the Code::Blocks support, which also uses C++. (i.e. instead of porting C::B over to D, it just extends it using C++ and the Squirrel scripting language for D support) Like http://wxd.sourceforge.net/wxd-codeblocks-wizard.png

There's a project that is an objective-c bridge to d, I don't know how well it works. http://michelf.com/projects/d-objc-bridge/
Feb 21 2008
prev sibling next sibling parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
doob wrote:

 Frank Benoit wrote:
 Bjoern schrieb:
 Does it make sense, to port the SWT snippets ?
 this ones : http://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/

Sure, that would be great. I you want to start, please talk to me first. So I can prepare the sources in the same way, i did it on the rest. As said in the dwt-linux homepage, in the moment i am working on the examples. this ones: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/examples.php Frank

This is great news and I would be happy to help. I can help testing both the linux and windows version. Any plans on an osx version?

Yes, any help would be greatly appreciated. Testing, of course, is good... but if you have any expertise (especially on win32)... please let us know. OS X would be great! But it's way more than we can tackle at this point. But, if you (or somebody else) is interested in doing such a port, then Frank should be able to get you started. :) -JJR
Jan 20 2008
parent reply doob <doobnet gmail.com> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 doob wrote:
 
 Frank Benoit wrote:
 Bjoern schrieb:
 Does it make sense, to port the SWT snippets ?
 this ones : http://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/

I you want to start, please talk to me first. So I can prepare the sources in the same way, i did it on the rest. As said in the dwt-linux homepage, in the moment i am working on the examples. this ones: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/examples.php Frank

the linux and windows version. Any plans on an osx version?

Yes, any help would be greatly appreciated. Testing, of course, is good... but if you have any expertise (especially on win32)... please let us know. OS X would be great! But it's way more than we can tackle at this point. But, if you (or somebody else) is interested in doing such a port, then Frank should be able to get you started. :) -JJR

Unfortunately I don't have any expertise. I think the snippets should be quite easy to port. I haven't looked at source code for the examples so I don't know about theme. As mentioned we should probably wait for the SWT Cocoa to be finished before we start to port the osx version. I almost forgot JFace, may I can try to port that. What I know it's only Java and that should be easier, at lease for me.
Jan 21 2008
next sibling parent Frank Benoit <keinfarbton googlemail.com> writes:
doob schrieb:
 I almost forgot JFace, may I can try to port that. What I know it's only 
 Java and that should be easier, at lease for me.

That would really cool. I am very interested in this.
Jan 21 2008
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
doob wrote:

 Yes, any help would be greatly appreciated.  Testing, of course, is 
 good...
 but if you have any expertise (especially on win32)... please let us 
 know.

 OS X would be great!  But it's way more than we can tackle at this 
 point. But, if you (or somebody else) is interested in doing such a 
 port, then
 Frank should be able to get you started. :)

 -JJR

Unfortunately I don't have any expertise. I think the snippets should be quite easy to port. I haven't looked at source code for the examples so I don't know about theme. As mentioned we should probably wait for the SWT Cocoa to be finished before we start to port the osx version. I almost forgot JFace, may I can try to port that. What I know it's only Java and that should be easier, at lease for me.

JFace is something we've had our eye on; so, yes, that would be great! :)
Jan 21 2008
parent reply doob <doobnet gmail.com> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 doob wrote:
 
 Yes, any help would be greatly appreciated.  Testing, of course, is 
 good...
 but if you have any expertise (especially on win32)... please let us 
 know.

 OS X would be great!  But it's way more than we can tackle at this 
 point. But, if you (or somebody else) is interested in doing such a 
 port, then
 Frank should be able to get you started. :)

 -JJR

Unfortunately I don't have any expertise. I think the snippets should be quite easy to port. I haven't looked at source code for the examples so I don't know about theme. As mentioned we should probably wait for the SWT Cocoa to be finished before we start to port the osx version. I almost forgot JFace, may I can try to port that. What I know it's only Java and that should be easier, at lease for me.

JFace is something we've had our eye on; so, yes, that would be great! :)

Then I try with JFace first, would be quite a lot to learn if I tried to port the osx version. I haven't looked at your source code yet so what is it to think about when I do the port, how should I port the data types. I read that you use char[] instead of String, what about boolean? The previous DWT used boolean as an alias to int, is there anything else?
Jan 21 2008
parent Frank Benoit <keinfarbton googlemail.com> writes:
doob schrieb:
 I haven't looked at your source code yet so what is it to think about 
 when I do the port, how should I port the data types. I read that you 
 use char[] instead of String, what about boolean? The previous DWT used 
 boolean as an alias to int, is there anything else?

I prepared the original SWT source like this 1. make an eclipse project and load the sources. 2. switch to flat package view 3. select all packages and do 'organize imports' 4. load all files into gvim 5. remove all tabs with ":bufdo retab", having tabstop=4 6. do some global search replace ":bufdo %s:==:is:g" ":bufdo %s:!=:!is:g" ":bufdo %s:\<boolean\>:bool:g" ":bufdo %s:\<org.eclipse.swt\>:dwt:g" ":bufdo %s:\<SWT\>:DWT:g" ":bufdo %s:\<package\>:module:" ":bufdo %s;\<implements\>;:;" ":bufdo %s;\<extends\>;:;" 7. save all files ":wall" 8. rename all .java to .d Now you have files, that are good for making diffs and merges with your later ported code. Keep those files for later, if you want to merge a newer JFace version, than you can follow the same steps and make a three-way merge The String to char[] replacements should be done interactively. So you can let them be unchanged in javadoc comments. Frank
Jan 21 2008
prev sibling parent reply "Eric Suen" <eric.suen.tech gmail.com> writes:
For OSX, Maybe should waiting for SWT 3.4, because SWT 3.3
is based on Carbon, and SWT 3.4 has Cocoa port

"doob"
 Frank Benoit wrote:
 Bjoern schrieb:
 Does it make sense, to port the SWT snippets ?
 this ones : http://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/

Sure, that would be great. I you want to start, please talk to me first. So I can prepare the sources in the same way, i did it on the rest. As said in the dwt-linux homepage, in the moment i am working on the examples. this ones: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/examples.php Frank

This is great news and I would be happy to help. I can help testing both the linux and windows version. Any plans on an osx version?

Jan 20 2008
next sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Eric Suen wrote:
 For OSX, Maybe should waiting for SWT 3.4, because SWT 3.3
 is based on Carbon, and SWT 3.4 has Cocoa port
 

That probably is a good idea. Updating 3.3 to 3.4 for the other ports should be less of an effort than 3.02 to 3.3. -JJR
Jan 20 2008
prev sibling parent doob <doobnet gmail.com> writes:
Eric Suen wrote:
 For OSX, Maybe should waiting for SWT 3.4, because SWT 3.3
 is based on Carbon, and SWT 3.4 has Cocoa port
 
 "doob"
 Frank Benoit wrote:
 Bjoern schrieb:
 Does it make sense, to port the SWT snippets ?
 this ones : http://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/

I you want to start, please talk to me first. So I can prepare the sources in the same way, i did it on the rest. As said in the dwt-linux homepage, in the moment i am working on the examples. this ones: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/examples.php Frank

linux and windows version. Any plans on an osx version?


Jan 21 2008
prev sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Bjoern wrote:

 
 Just one word : Incredible.
 Thanks !
 
 Does it make sense, to port the SWT snippets ?
 this ones : http://www.eclipse.org/swt/snippets/
 
 I like to suggest to support /groups/ like dwt.group.layout (Tango like)
 
 Bjoern

About SWT snippets... I didn't know they existed. :) They look like a pretty comprehensive test of SWT functionality. I agree that they should be ported at some point. Right now, I think it's best to focus on porting the examples first. But anybody that wants to tackle the snippets as well would be most welcome. :) Concerning "groups": as far as I know, that is still experimental in Tango. Doing something similar for dwt is quite possible. At this point, though, we are concentrating on the port only, and don't want to make any fundamental additions or changes to swt. In the future, an option like "group" should be discussed as a possible way to reduce large import lists. We were considering the same thing in GtkD, but it doesn't look like the idea has gained much popularity yet. -JJR
Jan 20 2008
prev sibling next sibling parent reply torhu <no spam.invalid> writes:
Frank Benoit wrote:
 Dear D community
 
 We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
 - DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
 - DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux

A while ago, someone mentioned that he might get his company to port SWT to D. Do you know what happened to that? I guess it didn't happen, or you wouldn't be starting this project.
Jan 20 2008
parent Frank Benoit <keinfarbton googlemail.com> writes:
torhu schrieb:
 A while ago, someone mentioned that he might get his company to port SWT 
 to D.  Do you know what happened to that?  I guess it didn't happen, or 
 you wouldn't be starting this project.

I wrote an email to robby, and also asked in his ng thread ("A couple of thoughts/queries." 8th dec 07) if he received it, but i never got any response.
Jan 20 2008
prev sibling next sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Frank Benoit wrote:

 Dear D community
 
 We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
 - DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
 - DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux
 
 Both projects will be a manual port of the SWT 3.3 with tango
 compatibility.
 
 Status DWT-Linux:
 Completed:
 dnd, custom, widgets, events,
 graphics, accessibitly, printing, layout
 Missing:
 browser, program
 
 First helloworld example running
 Size with debug info/strip/upx: 4,8 MB/1,8 MB/0,5 MB
 
 Help is welcome:
 All ported code is pretty untested. Examples are needed.
 The official SWT examples should be ported to show the functionality of
 the widgets.
 They can serve as a test and also as programming examples.
 
 Frank

Also, for those that haven't checked the link, IRC chat on freenode is available in #DWT. Feel free to check in there to discuss anything about either of these ports. -JJR
Jan 20 2008
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Robert Fraser <fraserofthenight gmail.com> writes:
Frank Benoit wrote:
 Dear D community
 
 We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
 - DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
 - DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux
 
 Both projects will be a manual port of the SWT 3.3 with tango 
 compatibility.
 
 Status DWT-Linux:
 Completed:
     dnd, custom, widgets, events,
     graphics, accessibitly, printing, layout
 Missing:
     browser, program
 
 First helloworld example running
 Size with debug info/strip/upx: 4,8 MB/1,8 MB/0,5 MB
 
 Help is welcome:
 All ported code is pretty untested. Examples are needed.
 The official SWT examples should be ported to show the functionality of 
 the widgets.
 They can serve as a test and also as programming examples.
 
 Frank

Awesome. Now time to get porting the rest of Eclipse over for a pure-D Descent ;-).
Jan 20 2008
parent reply Ary Borenszweig <ary esperanto.org.ar> writes:
Robert Fraser escribiˇ:
 Awesome. Now time to get porting the rest of Eclipse over for a pure-D 
 Descent ;-).

Heh. Same thought here, although without runtime reflection, hmm...
Jan 20 2008
parent reply Robert Fraser <fraserofthenight gmail.com> writes:
Ary Borenszweig wrote:
 Robert Fraser escribiˇ:
 Awesome. Now time to get porting the rest of Eclipse over for a pure-D 
 Descent ;-).

Heh. Same thought here, although without runtime reflection, hmm...

I was kidding mostly. According to Ohloh, Eclipse is ~10 million LOC and Descent is nearing 700,000. While I'd love to see a D port of Descent at some point, it would be a HUGE amount of work, even if we started with TioPorted sources & debugged from there.
Jan 21 2008
parent Ary Borenszweig <ary esperanto.org.ar> writes:
Robert Fraser escribiˇ:
 Ary Borenszweig wrote:
 Robert Fraser escribiˇ:
 Awesome. Now time to get porting the rest of Eclipse over for a 
 pure-D Descent ;-).

Heh. Same thought here, although without runtime reflection, hmm...

I was kidding mostly. According to Ohloh, Eclipse is ~10 million LOC and Descent is nearing 700,000. While I'd love to see a D port of Descent at some point, it would be a HUGE amount of work, even if we started with TioPorted sources & debugged from there.

Yeah, I know... And I'm sure it won't make any big difference with the Java version, except Expression#getConstantValue would return a pure D object. :-P
Jan 21 2008
prev sibling parent reply BCS <ao pathlink.com> writes:
Reply to Frank,

 Dear D community
 
 We are happy to announce the new dsource projects
 - DWT-Win      http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win
 - DWT-Linux    http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt-linux
 Both projects will be a manual port of the SWT 3.3 with tango
 compatibility.
 
 Status DWT-Linux:
 Completed:
 dnd, custom, widgets, events,
 graphics, accessibitly, printing, layout
 Missing:
 browser, program
 First helloworld example running
 Size with debug info/strip/upx: 4,8 MB/1,8 MB/0,5 MB
 Help is welcome:
 All ported code is pretty untested. Examples are needed.
 The official SWT examples should be ported to show the functionality
 of
 the widgets.
 They can serve as a test and also as programming examples.
 Frank
 

I can't seem to check it out. http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win/ amI missing
Jan 22 2008
next sibling parent Frank Benoit <keinfarbton googlemail.com> writes:
BCS schrieb:
 http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win/ amI missing
 

yes, you missed the hg (mercurial) part :)
Jan 22 2008
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
BCS wrote:

 
 I can't seem to check it out.
 
 http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win/ amI missing
 

Well, first, you need mercurial (hg) to check out the repository. We moved away from svn because mercurial provides excellent support for distributed repository maintenance. Once you have the hg package for win32, you do: hg clone http://hg.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win dwt-win (where dwt-win is the name of the destination directory) You will need to download the hg win32 port from here: http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/WindowsInstall I really don't like the confusing number of choices there are mercurial packages for win32. But take your pick and get it set up by following the instructions on that page. For dwt-win, I should have provided information on the project wiki giving instructions on how to do this. I'll try to add that information soon. Also, be aware that little of the win32 port of dwt has been done yet. So there's not much in the repository at this point, let alone anything working. If you want to lend me a hand, I'd very much appreciate it. -JJR
Jan 22 2008
parent reply BCS <ao pathlink.com> writes:
Reply to John,

 BCS wrote:
 
 I can't seem to check it out.
 
 http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win/ amI missing
 

We moved away from svn because mercurial provides excellent support for distributed repository maintenance.

 For dwt-win, I should have provided information on the project wiki
 giving instructions on how to do this.  I'll try to add that
 information soon.

Ideally, I should be able to tell from the front page or one "oh-duh" click away what downloading it will take. Something like some easy to find verbiage along the line of "Download with /Mercurial/ from...."
 
 Also, be aware that little of the win32 port of dwt has been done yet.
 So there's not much in the repository at this point, let alone
 anything working.  If you want to lend me a hand, I'd very much
 appreciate it.
 
 -JJR
 

Is there any other way to get it? I don't think installing another source control system is going to happen any time soon. tarballs would work for me considering I'm not going to be doing dev (I have enough trouble using GUI API's, I don't even want to think about writing one)
Jan 22 2008
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
BCS wrote:
 Reply to John,
 
 BCS wrote:

 I can't seem to check it out.

 http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt-win/ amI missing

We moved away from svn because mercurial provides excellent support for distributed repository maintenance.

 For dwt-win, I should have provided information on the project wiki
 giving instructions on how to do this.  I'll try to add that
 information soon.

Ideally, I should be able to tell from the front page or one "oh-duh" click away what downloading it will take. Something like some easy to find verbiage along the line of "Download with /Mercurial/ from...."

Yes, I agree. I should have done this.
 Also, be aware that little of the win32 port of dwt has been done yet.
 So there's not much in the repository at this point, let alone
 anything working.  If you want to lend me a hand, I'd very much
 appreciate it.

 -JJR

Is there any other way to get it? I don't think installing another source control system is going to happen any time soon. tarballs would work for me considering I'm not going to be doing dev (I have enough trouble using GUI API's, I don't even want to think about writing one)

At this point, since there is nothing working to "get", I don't think we'll provide a tarball of any sort. But perhaps once things start building properly, we should consider making releases available in an alternative package. This makes sense. We'll need some storage options that, at this point, I don't think mercurial provides, but perhaps the Trac system does. I'll have to investigate the options. -JJR
Jan 22 2008
parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
John Reimer wrote:

 
 
 At this point, since there is nothing working to "get", I don't think 
 we'll provide a tarball of any sort.  But perhaps once things start 
 building properly, we should consider making releases available in an 
 alternative package.  This makes sense.  We'll need some storage options 
 that, at this point, I don't think mercurial provides, but perhaps the 
 Trac system does. I'll have to investigate the options.
 

Let me just clarify here... I'm referring to the dwt-win project (since I know that dwt-linux is working right now). Either way, we should investigate a way of packaging working releases, eventually. -JJR
Jan 22 2008
parent reply BCS <ao pathlink.com> writes:
Reply to John,

 John Reimer wrote:
 
 At this point, since there is nothing working to "get", I don't think
 we'll provide a tarball of any sort.  But perhaps once things start
 building properly, we should consider making releases available in an
 alternative package.  This makes sense.  We'll need some storage
 options that, at this point, I don't think mercurial provides, but
 perhaps the Trac system does. I'll have to investigate the options.
 

(since I know that dwt-linux is working right now). Either way, we should investigate a way of packaging working releases, eventually. -JJR

is there a linux tar-ball?
Jan 22 2008
parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
BCS wrote:
 Reply to John,
 
 John Reimer wrote:

 At this point, since there is nothing working to "get", I don't think
 we'll provide a tarball of any sort.  But perhaps once things start
 building properly, we should consider making releases available in an
 alternative package.  This makes sense.  We'll need some storage
 options that, at this point, I don't think mercurial provides, but
 perhaps the Trac system does. I'll have to investigate the options.

(since I know that dwt-linux is working right now). Either way, we should investigate a way of packaging working releases, eventually. -JJR

is there a linux tar-ball?

No, not yet. :)
Jan 22 2008
prev sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
BCS wrote:

 [...]
 For dwt-win, I should have provided information on the project wiki
 giving instructions on how to do this.  I'll try to add that
 information soon.

Ideally, I should be able to tell from the front page or one "oh-duh" click away what downloading it will take. Something like some easy to find verbiage along the line of "Download with /Mercurial/ from...."

I've updated the dwt-win front page.
Jan 26 2008