www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.dwt - DWT is official ?

reply Flaze07 <christianseiji.cs gmail.com> writes:
hi...so is this group forum about the SWT D bindings ? (I am just 
surprised that it is...in the ecosystem if it is what I think it 
is)
Jul 12
next sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2017-07-12 12:10, Flaze07 wrote:
 hi...so is this group forum about the SWT D bindings ? (I am just 
 surprised that it is...in the ecosystem if it is what I think it is)
Technically DWT [1] is a port of SWT to D, not bindings. No Java code is involved. [1] http://github.com/d-widget-toolkit/dwt -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jul 12
parent reply Flaze07 <christianseiji.cs gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 11:18:21 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2017-07-12 12:10, Flaze07 wrote:
 hi...so is this group forum about the SWT D bindings ? (I am 
 just surprised that it is...in the ecosystem if it is what I 
 think it is)
Technically DWT [1] is a port of SWT to D, not bindings. No Java code is involved. [1] http://github.com/d-widget-toolkit/dwt
I see... so...is it official ??
Jul 12
next sibling parent JamesD <none mail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 12:36:34 UTC, Flaze07 wrote:
 On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 11:18:21 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
 wrote:
 On 2017-07-12 12:10, Flaze07 wrote:
 hi...so is this group forum about the SWT D bindings ? (I am 
 just surprised that it is...in the ecosystem if it is what I 
 think it is)
Technically DWT [1] is a port of SWT to D, not bindings. No Java code is involved. [1] http://github.com/d-widget-toolkit/dwt
I see... so...is it official ??
The beauty of the D language is that there really isn't any "official" packages, other than the language and runtime library. The key advantages of DWT are; 1. Extensive API and examples from SWT that can be searched with your Browser 2. Statically linked (don't need an external DLL) 3. Easy to learn and use Here are the various GUIs for the D language: https://wiki.dlang.org/GUI_Libraries The choice of a GUI really depends on what your requirements are and how you intend to use it.
Jul 13
prev sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2017-07-12 14:36, Flaze07 wrote:

 I see...
 so...is it official ??
Not sure what you mean with "official". The forum or the library? -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jul 13
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2017-07-13 21:45, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

 Not sure what you mean with "official". The forum or the library?
The forum is the official DWT forum. At one point it was announced that DWT would be the official GUI library for D. In practice nothing change. It's not considered the official GUI library anymore. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jul 13
prev sibling parent User <u u.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 10:10:53 UTC, Flaze07 wrote:
 hi...so is this group forum about the SWT D bindings ? (I am 
 just surprised that it is...in the ecosystem if it is what I 
 think it is)
No, D does not have a official gui lib. The dlang core community is still small and hardly funded, it's mostly still a design-by-volunteers language. Therefore it's impossible to maintain any significantly sized lib in phobos. Especially when majority of the D users are web based programmers and there is no common consensus about which gui lib to pick. The main focus is to improve safety, before that out used to be parallelism and concurrency, even before that it used to be speed, ufcs, duck typing etc. Point is that gui libs or any major libs will almost never be official, unless it's web related. Also, nowadays it's fashionable to design-your-own-lang so every major company has their own language now, it seems less and less likely that D will be sponsored by any major company. Therefore although the language seems to be evolving fast, quality tools and libs are evolving excruciatingly slowly.
Jul 31