www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - [dlang.org] new forum design - preview

reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
Jan 12
next sibling parent Jason Jeffory <JasonJeffory doodle.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
Cool, looks nice!
Jan 12
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Suliman <evermind live.ru> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
I dislike it :( old one is better. Probably you need make content up to 100% of windows size and make forum part bigger. Also it's look like as css was missing. Same issue have vibed.org after switching to light template.
Jan 12
next sibling parent Paolo Invernizzi <paolo.invernizzi no.address> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:44:31 UTC, Suliman wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
I dislike it :( old one is better. Probably you need make content up to 100% of windows size and make forum part bigger.
+1, Please... /P
Jan 13
prev sibling parent reply Dmitry <dmitry indiedev.ru> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:44:31 UTC, Suliman wrote:
 I dislike it :( old one is better.
+1
 Probably you need make content up to 100% of windows size and 
 make forum part bigger.
+1 And «Roboto Slab» is very difficult to read for me :`(
Jan 13
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 01/13/2016 09:42 AM, Dmitry wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:44:31 UTC, Suliman wrote:
 I dislike it :( old one is better.
+1
 Probably you need make content up to 100% of windows size and make
 forum part bigger.
+1 And «Roboto Slab» is very difficult to read for me :`(
Could you please post a screenshot and also your particulars (OS, browser)? Thx! -- Andrei
Jan 13
parent reply Dmitry <dmitry indiedev.ru> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 14:51:12 UTC, Andrei 
Alexandrescu wrote:
 Could you please post a screenshot and also your particulars 
 (OS, browser)? Thx! -- Andrei
I don't meant that this is a technical problem. Problem is for peoples, who knows English not very good. That font has many small parts (serifs) and some chars is very narrow. For example, «r» has very small tail (? sorry, my English is bad, I mean top part which looks like «^») and it some similar with «i», «t» is narrow and little simialr with «l», etc, + space between characters is very small. Therefore I need read it very slow. Of course, after some time I will read it more fast, but currently no. Here can be different solutions - maybe add one-two themes with different fonts, or I can just use external css (as example, via browser's plugins) for redefine the font. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78963719/D/forum/dlang.png Windows 7 x64, Opera/Chrome/Firefox
Jan 13
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 01/13/2016 11:38 AM, Dmitry wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 14:51:12 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Could you please post a screenshot and also your particulars (OS,
 browser)? Thx! -- Andrei
I don't meant that this is a technical problem. Problem is for peoples, who knows English not very good. That font has many small parts (serifs) and some chars is very narrow. For example, «r» has very small tail (? sorry, my English is bad, I mean top part which looks like «^») and it some similar with «i», «t» is narrow and little simialr with «l», etc, + space between characters is very small. Therefore I need read it very slow. Of course, after some time I will read it more fast, but currently no. Here can be different solutions - maybe add one-two themes with different fonts, or I can just use external css (as example, via browser's plugins) for redefine the font. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78963719/D/forum/dlang.png Windows 7 x64, Opera/Chrome/Firefox
This is an interesting point. Vladimir, what do you think? Thx! -- Andrei
Jan 13
parent reply Saurabh Das <saurabh.das gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 16:40:20 UTC, Andrei 
Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 01/13/2016 11:38 AM, Dmitry wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 14:51:12 UTC, Andrei 
 Alexandrescu wrote:
 Could you please post a screenshot and also your particulars 
 (OS,
 browser)? Thx! -- Andrei
I don't meant that this is a technical problem. Problem is for peoples, who knows English not very good. That font has many small parts (serifs) and some chars is very narrow. For example, «r» has very small tail (? sorry, my English is bad, I mean top part which looks like «^») and it some similar with «i», «t» is narrow and little simialr with «l», etc, + space between characters is very small. Therefore I need read it very slow. Of course, after some time I will read it more fast, but currently no. Here can be different solutions - maybe add one-two themes with different fonts, or I can just use external css (as example, via browser's plugins) for redefine the font. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78963719/D/forum/dlang.png Windows 7 x64, Opera/Chrome/Firefox
This is an interesting point. Vladimir, what do you think? Thx! -- Andrei
+1 for Sans-serif fonts! I find them much easier to read too :) (anonymous has assured me that this font will grow on me though). The page is too white. The style looks good on the main website, but on the forum makes it difficult to read. Would prefer the dropdowns in the headers to toggle automatically on mouseover (with a click for mobile ofcourse). I like that the headers will be consistent across the website now.
Jan 13
parent reply anonymous <anonymous example.com> writes:
On 13.01.2016 18:13, Saurabh Das wrote:
 +1 for Sans-serif fonts! I find them much easier to read too :)
 (anonymous has assured me that this font will grow on me though).
I only said it grew on me :)
 The page is too white. The style looks good on the main website, but on
 the forum makes it difficult to read.
Does that mean it's bad for reading longer text? We shouldn't use white background for large parts of the main site either then.
Jan 15
parent Saurabh Das <saurabh.das gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 20:33:32 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On 13.01.2016 18:13, Saurabh Das wrote:
 +1 for Sans-serif fonts! I find them much easier to read too :)
 (anonymous has assured me that this font will grow on me 
 though).
I only said it grew on me :)
 The page is too white. The style looks good on the main 
 website, but on
 the forum makes it difficult to read.
Does that mean it's bad for reading longer text? We shouldn't use white background for large parts of the main site either then.
I just saw the beta forum on my mobile for the first time and its actually looking very good. Have there been some changes? It's easily readable now. I'll check it on PC later in the day. I also noticed that the content of posts of the forum are in a different font than the restof the website. I prefer the font used for the contents - much neater IMO. It wasn't the white BG that was difficult to read, it was the grey regions where the text didn't stand out. SD
Jan 15
prev sibling next sibling parent Sebastiaan Koppe <mail skoppe.eu> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
I like the fact that the header is consistent with the other design. It could use less white though. Although I understand that you just copied that from the other design. +1 for keeping monospaced fonts for posts.
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Meta <jared771 gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
My only complaint is that it does not utilize the horizontal space available, unlike the current design. Otherwise it nicely matches the front page redesign.
Jan 13
parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 09:22:54 UTC, Meta wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
My only complaint is that it does not utilize the horizontal space available, unlike the current design. Otherwise it nicely matches the front page redesign.
The navigation sidebar has been made narrower. How does it look now? We can make it a bit narrower still by removing the redundant "About this forum" link. I don't think that 100%-width is great, as above certain line length readability suffers. There is also the navigation toggle for horizontal-split.
Jan 13
next sibling parent reply Meta <jared771 gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 02:56:03 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 09:22:54 UTC, Meta wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
My only complaint is that it does not utilize the horizontal space available, unlike the current design. Otherwise it nicely matches the front page redesign.
The navigation sidebar has been made narrower. How does it look now? We can make it a bit narrower still by removing the redundant "About this forum" link. I don't think that 100%-width is great, as above certain line length readability suffers. There is also the navigation toggle for horizontal-split.
The sidebar's not my problem, it's this: http://imgur.com/8Uf7Ejy There's a good 30% of the screen or more that's not being used, and this is only on a 1920x1080 monitor. 2k and 4k must be far worse.
Jan 13
parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 03:55:23 UTC, Meta wrote:
 On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 02:56:03 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 09:22:54 UTC, Meta wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
My only complaint is that it does not utilize the horizontal space available, unlike the current design. Otherwise it nicely matches the front page redesign.
The navigation sidebar has been made narrower. How does it look now? We can make it a bit narrower still by removing the redundant "About this forum" link. I don't think that 100%-width is great, as above certain line length readability suffers. There is also the navigation toggle for horizontal-split.
The sidebar's not my problem, it's this: http://imgur.com/8Uf7Ejy There's a good 30% of the screen or more that's not being used, and this is only on a 1920x1080 monitor.
Well, I would argue that this is not a problem that needs fixing. There is just no content to fill in that space. Making the posts themselves fill all available horizontal space does not help readability either.
 2k and 4k must be far worse.
Using a browser in a maximized window is pointless on a 4K monitor. Most website simply do not have any content to fill in that space, so you get one of a) stuff on the left and right, and nothing in the middle b) absurdly long lines which are impossible to follow c) fixed-width website designs. I would argue that c) is the best option and is what we're doing here. Here's what forum.dlang.org looks like right now on 4K: http://dump.thecybershadow.net/727e9ee1efefe8b15e72406bea942412/000001B6.png http://dump.thecybershadow.net/860340284b7718ef950033a28badbb22/000001B7.png
Jan 13
parent reply Bastiaan Veelo <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 05:46:55 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 03:55:23 UTC, Meta wrote:
 On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 02:56:03 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 09:22:54 UTC, Meta wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:

 My only complaint is that it does not utilize the horizontal 
 space available, unlike the current design. Otherwise it 
 nicely matches the front page redesign.
The navigation sidebar has been made narrower. How does it look now? We can make it a bit narrower still by removing the redundant "About this forum" link. I don't think that 100%-width is great, as above certain line length readability suffers.
Readability is subjective and depends on the reader. Line length should not be the concern of the designer, but of the user who should have control over line length by adjusting the width of the browser.
 There's a good 30% of the screen or more that's not being 
 used, and this is only on a 1920x1080 monitor.
Well, I would argue that this is not a problem that needs fixing. There is just no content to fill in that space. Making the posts themselves fill all available horizontal space does not help readability either.
I don't agree, I like the width of the old forum better. I have a large monitor and don't read full screen. So my browser is sized comfortably. Nevertheless, the new design wastes space and I'm feeling cramped...
Jan 14
parent reply w0rp <devw0rp gmail.com> writes:
I love this redesign.

Anyone who complains about not taking up the full width of the 
screen is wrong. If lines stretch on eternally, they become 
harder to scan with your eyes. It's a well known effect which has 
been studied and documented. There is some difference of opinion 
on what the maximum should be, but the hard limit seems to be 110 
CPL. 80 CPL or 90 CPL are commonly used. You have to stop 
expanding elements at some point.
Jan 14
next sibling parent deadalnix <deadalnix gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 12:31:51 UTC, w0rp wrote:
 I love this redesign.

 Anyone who complains about not taking up the full width of the 
 screen is wrong. If lines stretch on eternally, they become 
 harder to scan with your eyes. It's a well known effect which 
 has been studied and documented. There is some difference of 
 opinion on what the maximum should be, but the hard limit seems 
 to be 110 CPL. 80 CPL or 90 CPL are commonly used. You have to 
 stop expanding elements at some point.
Yes please !
Jan 14
prev sibling next sibling parent reply tn <no email.com> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 12:31:51 UTC, w0rp wrote:
 I love this redesign.

 Anyone who complains about not taking up the full width of the 
 screen is wrong. If lines stretch on eternally, they become 
 harder to scan with your eyes. It's a well known effect which 
 has been studied and documented. There is some difference of 
 opinion on what the maximum should be, but the hard limit seems 
 to be 110 CPL. 80 CPL or 90 CPL are commonly used. You have to 
 stop expanding elements at some point.
I don't use my browser in full screen mode, but the useless white margins are still there. With the horizontal-split mode the line length of the message is less than 60 characters. Compared to that, I would be happy with 80 or 90 you suggest. Besides, especially the margin that is on the left side of the navigation bar looks ugly, like it was rendered improperly.
Jan 14
parent reply anonymous <anonymous example.com> writes:
On 14.01.2016 16:29, tn wrote:
 I don't use my browser in full screen mode, but the useless white
 margins are still there. With the horizontal-split mode the line length
 of the message is less than 60 characters. Compared to that, I would be
 happy with 80 or 90 you suggest.
This is an issue with the horizontal split mode, right? In the other modes you should get more than 80 characters on a line. I agree that horizontal split looks quite cramped right now, unless you hide the navigation.
 Besides, especially the margin that is on the left side of the
 navigation bar looks ugly, like it was rendered improperly.
Would a border help? http://i.imgur.com/XoPddxr.png Or how about making the whole area gray? http://i.imgur.com/AXrmKU4.png
Jan 14
next sibling parent reply ddddddd <ddd ddd.com> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 19:46:33 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On 14.01.2016 16:29, tn wrote:
 I don't use my browser in full screen mode, but the useless 
 white
 margins are still there. With the horizontal-split mode the 
 line length
 of the message is less than 60 characters. Compared to that, I 
 would be
 happy with 80 or 90 you suggest.
This is an issue with the horizontal split mode, right? In the other modes you should get more than 80 characters on a line. I agree that horizontal split looks quite cramped right now, unless you hide the navigation.
 Besides, especially the margin that is on the left side of the
 navigation bar looks ugly, like it was rendered improperly.
Would a border help? http://i.imgur.com/XoPddxr.png Or how about making the whole area gray? http://i.imgur.com/AXrmKU4.png
Cant you do a max-width on the container holding the main page? I agree it should be an entire 2k display but my laptop the sidebar could easily push the edge of the window.
Jan 14
parent anonymous <anonymous example.com> writes:
On 14.01.2016 22:58, ddddddd wrote:
 Cant you do a max-width on the container holding the main page? I agree
 it should
I guess there should be a "not" in here?
 be an entire 2k display but my laptop the sidebar could easily
 push the edge of the window.
The container has a max-width. There's still a padding to the left of the subnav so that the grey box is aligned with the D logo above.
Jan 15
prev sibling next sibling parent reply tsbockman <thomas.bockman gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 19:46:33 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 Would a border help? http://i.imgur.com/XoPddxr.png

 Or how about making the whole area gray? 
 http://i.imgur.com/AXrmKU4.png
Either of those would be an improvement.
Jan 14
parent anonymous <anonymous example.com> writes:
On 14.01.2016 23:03, tsbockman wrote:
 On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 19:46:33 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 Would a border help? http://i.imgur.com/XoPddxr.png

 Or how about making the whole area gray? http://i.imgur.com/AXrmKU4.png
Either of those would be an improvement.
I went with the border. It's easier to implement and less likely to be controversial. http://beta.forum.dlang.org does not show it yet. I guess Vladimir needs to push a button for that.
Jan 15
prev sibling parent tn <no email.com> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 19:46:33 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On 14.01.2016 16:29, tn wrote:
 I don't use my browser in full screen mode, but the useless 
 white
 margins are still there. With the horizontal-split mode the 
 line length
 of the message is less than 60 characters. Compared to that, I 
 would be
 happy with 80 or 90 you suggest.
This is an issue with the horizontal split mode, right? In the other modes you should get more than 80 characters on a line.
Yes.
 Besides, especially the margin that is on the left side of the
 navigation bar looks ugly, like it was rendered improperly.
Would a border help? http://i.imgur.com/XoPddxr.png Or how about making the whole area gray? http://i.imgur.com/AXrmKU4.png
As tsbockman said, both look definitely better.
Jan 15
prev sibling parent Dmitry <dmitry indiedev.ru> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 12:31:51 UTC, w0rp wrote:
 Anyone who complains about not taking up the full width of the 
 screen is wrong. If lines stretch on eternally, they become 
 harder to scan with your eyes. It's a well known effect which 
 has been studied and documented. There is some difference of 
 opinion on what the maximum should be, but the hard limit seems 
 to be 110 CPL. 80 CPL or 90 CPL are commonly used. You have to 
 stop expanding elements at some point.
At any moment user can reduce the window, if want. I want read full headers and posts, not "Re: D extensions to python, inline in..." "[Bug 119] GDC needs friendlier com..." "[Issue 14699] ICE: segfaults on array..." "[D-runtime] [D-Programming-Langu..." etc
Jan 14
prev sibling parent Brad Anderson <eco gnuk.net> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 02:56:03 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 09:22:54 UTC, Meta wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
My only complaint is that it does not utilize the horizontal space available, unlike the current design. Otherwise it nicely matches the front page redesign.
The navigation sidebar has been made narrower. How does it look now? We can make it a bit narrower still by removing the redundant "About this forum" link. I don't think that 100%-width is great, as above certain line length readability suffers. There is also the navigation toggle for horizontal-split.
This is much better now. It's still not good if the navigation is shown in horizontal-split but if you hide it looks good. Perhaps default to hiding navigation for horizontal-split.
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent wobbles <grogan.colin gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
I like it, it looks very well and I like how it mirrors the front pages design. As others have said, maybe utilizing more horizontal space would make it better. All in all though, great work!
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Marc =?UTF-8?B?U2Now7x0eg==?= <schuetzm gmx.net> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
It's much too white for my taste; the old version is more easy on the eyes. And there's a white margin left of the menu bar.
Jan 13
parent Bubbasaur <bubba gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 10:02:47 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
It's much too white for my taste; the old version is more easy on the eyes.
Yes, I see this problem with "quoted" text, where the light-gray text and white background is really a bit hard to distinguish. Maybe using a strong gray color with ITALIC fonts would be better. Bubba.
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Bubbasaur <bubba gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
Awesome, much better in style and space usage. May I suggest one thing? Could you put the page numbers on top instead of bottom? Because this is a common style in many pages, I think It would be nice if it was right bellow of (Log in,Settings,help), because currently, if I want to go to page 50, I need to scroll down 5 times. And talking about this, why not using a dropdown with page numbers? Bubba.
Jan 13
next sibling parent Zoadian <no no.no> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 13:41:00 UTC, Bubbasaur wrote:

 May I suggest one thing? Could you put the page numbers on top 
 instead of bottom? Because this is a common style in many 
 pages, I think It would be nice if it was right bellow of (Log 
 in,Settings,help), because currently, if I want to go to page 
 50, I need to scroll down 5 times.
+1
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 13:41:00 UTC, Bubbasaur wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
Awesome, much better in style and space usage. May I suggest one thing? Could you put the page numbers on top instead of bottom?
As soon as anyone comes up with a way to fit it into the design that doesn't look awful. https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/issues/16
Jan 13
next sibling parent Bubbasaur <bubba gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 13:55:36 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 As soon as anyone comes up with a way to fit it into the design 
 that doesn't look awful.

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/issues/16
Well, I don't see any problem here, like I said, right bellow (Log-in,settings,help), text-aligned right, it's what I see in another sites or using a dropdown. Awful is the need to scroll down 'n times if you want to go to a certain page. :) Bubba.
Jan 13
prev sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2016-01-13 14:55, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

 As soon as anyone comes up with a way to fit it into the design that
 doesn't look awful.
I don't think this [1] looks so awful. [1] https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7UtafxGD9vEX0NVYXlyWHhDX3c -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jan 13
parent reply tsbockman <thomas.bockman gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 20:11:07 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
wrote:
 On 2016-01-13 14:55, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

 As soon as anyone comes up with a way to fit it into the 
 design that
 doesn't look awful.
I don't think this [1] looks so awful. [1] https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7UtafxGD9vEX0NVYXlyWHhDX3c
Yes. Please add this; the need to scroll all the way down to find the pager has been annoying me ever since I started reading these forums.
Jan 13
parent reply John Colvin <john.loughran.colvin gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 21:35:15 UTC, tsbockman wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 20:11:07 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
 wrote:
 On 2016-01-13 14:55, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

 As soon as anyone comes up with a way to fit it into the 
 design that
 doesn't look awful.
I don't think this [1] looks so awful. [1] https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7UtafxGD9vEX0NVYXlyWHhDX3c
Yes. Please add this; the need to scroll all the way down to find the pager has been annoying me ever since I started reading these forums.
It's probably the main reason I switched over to using the horizontal-split view, although now I could never give that up.
Jan 14
parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 09:04:25 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 21:35:15 UTC, tsbockman wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 20:11:07 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
 wrote:
 On 2016-01-13 14:55, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

 As soon as anyone comes up with a way to fit it into the 
 design that
 doesn't look awful.
I don't think this [1] looks so awful. [1] https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7UtafxGD9vEX0NVYXlyWHhDX3c
Yes. Please add this; the need to scroll all the way down to find the pager has been annoying me ever since I started reading these forums.
It's probably the main reason I switched over to using the horizontal-split view, although now I could never give that up.
I added a new widget at the top of the basic view mode's post list: http://beta.forum.dlang.org/thread/op.xz6shob04sdys0 nicolass-macbook-pro.local
Jan 15
next sibling parent Ilya Yaroshenko <ilyayaroshenko gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 09:16:15 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 09:04:25 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 21:35:15 UTC, tsbockman wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 20:11:07 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
 wrote:
 [...]
Yes. Please add this; the need to scroll all the way down to find the pager has been annoying me ever since I started reading these forums.
It's probably the main reason I switched over to using the horizontal-split view, although now I could never give that up.
I added a new widget at the top of the basic view mode's post list: http://beta.forum.dlang.org/thread/op.xz6shob04sdys0 nicolass-macbook-pro.local
Thanks!
Jan 15
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2016-01-15 10:16, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

 I added a new widget at the top of the basic view mode's post list:

 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/thread/op.xz6shob04sdys0 nicolass-macbook-pro.local
Why does the text get smaller when width of the window gets smaller (when it gets small enough). -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jan 15
parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 15:25:42 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2016-01-15 10:16, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

 I added a new widget at the top of the basic view mode's post 
 list:

 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/thread/op.xz6shob04sdys0 nicolass-macbook-pro.local
Why does the text get smaller when width of the window gets smaller (when it gets small enough).
To accommodate small screens. Without this the font size on phones and tablets is too large to be useful.
Jan 15
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2016-01-16 04:07, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

 To accommodate small screens. Without this the font size on phones and
 tablets is too large to be useful.
I think it's too small to be useful. I always read in landscape mode because I think the font size is too small. It would be even better if the reader view worked (iPhone). -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jan 16
parent anonymous <anonymous example.com> writes:
On 16.01.2016 14:18, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 I think it's too small to be useful. I always read in landscape mode
 because I think the font size is too small. It would be even better if
 the reader view worked (iPhone).
Looks like I had accidentally made it a bit smaller. Fixed it.
Jan 16
prev sibling parent tsbockman <thomas.bockman gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 09:16:15 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 I added a new widget at the top of the basic view mode's post 
 list:

 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/thread/op.xz6shob04sdys0 nicolass-macbook-pro.local
Cool. I like the "Thread overview" tree thing.
Jan 15
prev sibling parent user123ABCabc <user123ABCabc abc.cd> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 13:41:00 UTC, Bubbasaur wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
Awesome, much better in style and space usage. May I suggest one thing? Could you put the page numbers on top instead of bottom? Because this is a common style in many pages, I think It would be nice if it was right bellow of (Log in,Settings,help), because currently, if I want to go to page 50, I need to scroll down 5 times. And talking about this, why not using a dropdown with page numbers? Bubba.
You can change the page number in the address bar too. http://beta.forum.dlang.org/thread/eubhesirsvtnqowbevdm forum.dlang.org?page=8
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
To clarify, all the forum.dlang.org work so far has been by anonymous / aG0aep6G.
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent deadalnix <deadalnix gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
<3
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent John Colvin <john.loughran.colvin gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
Look pretty, but not using the full width makes it a big thumbs-down from me. I love the horizontal split mode and it doesn't work well in such a narrow space.
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent karabuta <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
Disclaimer: I am a web designer Looks like an old website of the 2010's IMO :) 1. The reddish header background is not inviting. I suggest a dark background colour for the header. 2. Why not a fixed header bar? 3. There are too many border lines in the layout. 4. Your could use the grey colour from the old website which is softer on the eyes. 5. The font, the font, the FONT. The one in the current forum is really good for code though but not for reading. 6. No plans for a code syntax highlighter? The logo is .... why are there some particle-like thing on the logo. can I propose a better one maybe? Anyway, nice work?
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent karabuta <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
The DSFML website has a good selection of colours for the page and header background (but no syntax highlighting though) http://www.dsfml.com/
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Guillaume Piolat <name.lastname gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
I like it better than the old design which, however the information displayed could be cut a bit imho.
 There are 539,207 posts, 84,471 threads, and 1,972 registered 
 users on this forum.
 You have read a total of 1 forum post during your visits.
 Random tip: You can focus a message with j/k and press u to 
 mark it as unread, to remind you to read it later.
I think at least these 3 tips should be at the bottom of the page not the top. Number of threads vs Number of posts: it is signal most active forums, but this information is redundant I feel (number of threads and number of posts are likely proportional). I also feel like it's not necessary to underline non-hovered links, this makes everything underlined.
Jan 13
parent Guillaume Piolat <name.lastname gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 19:18:57 UTC, Guillaume Piolat 
wrote:
 I also feel like it's not necessary to underline non-hovered 
 links, this makes everything underlined.
With the rules: a { text-decoration: none; } a:hover { text-decoration: underline; } it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/reqSIva.png
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent rumbu <rumbu rumbu.ro> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
1. Roboto Slab is awful for a forum - at least on Windows. Roboto Slab Bold is even bleeding on my screen due to anti-aliasing. Use a sans serif font. 2. Wasted horizontal space 3. Wasted space on the left side navigation bar. A big + for the simple fact that finally the upper-left corner D points to dlang.org, not to forum.dlang.org.
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent NVolcz <niklas.volcz gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
1. When on my laptop I would prefer to have not have the sidebar due to waste of screen space. 2. I prefer the black theme.
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent Puming <zhaopuming gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
My 2 cents: 1. The left side bar is too wide. The content pane should be wider. 2. The "Group" column is too wide. 3. The "Last Post" column is too narrow. This column is what we actually want to read, so it should be given highest priority, one should be able to read the whole title without mouse hover. Also its background color should not be grey. 4. Font
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent JohnCK <j j.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
I think that top bar where is written "Forum" with down arrow should be position = fixed in favor of good browsing. JohnCK.
Jan 13
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Zardoz <luis.panadero gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
I like the new layout, but I like the actual color scheme.
Jan 14
parent Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 22:40:36 UTC, Zardoz wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
I like the new layout, but I like the actual color scheme.
Any chance you could make a mock-up of what that could look like?
Jan 15
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Tofu Ninja <emmons0 purdue.edu> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
Not an improvement at all, hurts my eyes.
Jan 14
parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 05:52:51 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
Not an improvement at all, hurts my eyes.
Unfortunately this form of criticism is not actionable. What would be more helpful (least to most): - A specific list of things that can be improved - What can be done to improve things - A mock-up image of how you would improve things - A pull request to improve things
Jan 14
next sibling parent reply Tofu Ninja <emmons0 purdue.edu> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 05:56:37 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 05:52:51 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
Not an improvement at all, hurts my eyes.
Unfortunately this form of criticism is not actionable. What would be more helpful (least to most): - A specific list of things that can be improved - What can be done to improve things - A mock-up image of how you would improve things - A pull request to improve things
Why do people want to change the way the forums look? I quite like them the way they are now, soft on the eyes, fairly good layout. The forums main disadvantage is features, no code highlight, no formatting, no embedding content like images or videos into posts, ect. Also voting on posts/threads could be very useful to see what people agree with and what they dont. Right now we just have people replying with "+1". This could be exceptionally helpful for help/opinion request threads, the best answer would be upvoted, shit answers down voted.
Jan 14
parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 06:12:23 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
 On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 05:56:37 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
 wrote:
 On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 05:52:51 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
 On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
Not an improvement at all, hurts my eyes.
Unfortunately this form of criticism is not actionable. What would be more helpful (least to most): - A specific list of things that can be improved - What can be done to improve things - A mock-up image of how you would improve things - A pull request to improve things
Why do people want to change the way the forums look? I quite like them the way they are now, soft on the eyes, fairly good layout.
To match the new dlang.org design. I'm guessing you've missed the other threads?
 The forums main disadvantage is features, no code highlight, no 
 formatting, no embedding content like images or videos into 
 posts, ect. Also voting on posts/threads could be very useful 
 to see what people agree with and what they dont. Right now we 
 just have people replying with "+1". This could be 
 exceptionally helpful for help/opinion request threads, the 
 best answer would be upvoted, shit answers down voted.
These issues have been previously discussed many times. (The conclusion summary is that since the same content needs to be available via multiple media - mailing lists / NNTP - content has to be restricted to the lowest common denominator, these features are controversial as the add bloat and noise, and we seem to be doing just fine without them). Now is not the time to discuss them, because the current effort is on the dlang.org redesign. I'm sorry, but so far you still haven't provided any useful criticism.
Jan 14
parent reply Tofu Ninja <emmons0 purdue.edu> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 06:20:13 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 To match the new dlang.org design. I'm guessing you've missed 
 the other threads?
Oh we doing that again... seems like we want a website re-skin every 6 months or so.
 These issues have been previously discussed many times. (The 
 conclusion summary is that since the same content needs to be 
 available via multiple media - mailing lists / NNTP - content 
 has to be restricted to the lowest common denominator, these 
 features are controversial as the add bloat and noise, and we 
 seem to be doing just fine without them). Now is not the time 
 to discuss them, because the current effort is on the dlang.org 
 redesign.

 I'm sorry, but so far you still haven't provided any useful 
 criticism.
My criticism is why are people spending more time redesigning the look of the website again... we haven't even had this one that long. There are better ways to improve the website than re-skinning it. Nothing is really changing, just the colors and layout.
Jan 14
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 1/15/16 1:35 AM, Tofu Ninja wrote:
 My criticism is why are people spending more time redesigning the look
 of the website again... we haven't even had this one that long. There
 are better ways to improve the website than re-skinning it. Nothing is
 really changing, just the colors and layout.
It's a good thing to do now. The latest major change was done a year ago. -- Andrei
Jan 15
prev sibling parent Random D user <no email.com> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 05:56:37 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 - A specific list of things that can be improved
I too like the current soft dark theme of the forum (and website). Would it be possible to have optional dark theme in the forum settings? I wish the main website would have a dark alternative too, because I might have language/phobos docs open all day on my second monitor. The forum theme also has grey text on grey background (almost the same gray) in few places which makes it hard to read. While neutral gray is fine as background for black text in a darker theme, I don't really like its usage as part of visual elements in the current light theme. IMO big neutral gray boxes make the site look really boring (like a rainy day). And even the red seems a bit like sun burnt and used.
Jan 15
prev sibling next sibling parent reply John Colvin <john.loughran.colvin gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
I tried using this a bit and it's ... frustrating. I'll try and describe the thought process of a visit: I load beta.forum.dlang.org, fullscreen, at 1680x1050. All text looks very slightly out-of-focus and the bold text is far too tightly packed. I notice that there are lines of text that are truncated (post titles), despite having loads of whitespace free on the page. This is instantly irritating. I click on a post and it is loaded in horizontal split mode. The right panel of the split view extends significantly lower than the left panel. The navigation column extends down further still. There is some wasted vertical space above the footer and a *lot* wasted below it. In the actual post window, I now have a line length below 60 characters, which is way too small for me, I prefer closer to 80 for reading (also I don't want code to start getting wrapped below 80). Nested quotations in replies end up with very restricted line lengths. I click the "Toggle navigation" button. With a line-length of 82 and less wasted vertical space around the footer, I'm much happier. However, now I've lost the left navigation column and the header bar. A few summary points/suggestions: The horizontal split layout looks horribly cramped in the default view, which is very irritating to look at, given the large white spaces either side of the content. Users can always resize the window to make line lengths smaller, but if you've capped them too low they can't do anything to make them longer. Having the "toggle navigation" button is nice for focus (less clutter, on demand), please keep it, but don't use it as an excuse for the design to be rubbish without it. I like to *option* to hide all the navigation, but I shouldn't have to just to get reasonable line lengths.
Jan 15
parent Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 11:45:53 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
 The right panel of the split view extends significantly lower 
 than the left panel. The navigation column extends down further 
 still.

 There is some wasted vertical space above the footer and a 
 *lot* wasted below it.
Thanks for the feedback, above looks like just a bug though.
Jan 15
prev sibling parent reply Kapps <opantm2+spam gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 at 06:01:41 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 http://beta.forum.dlang.org/

 https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51
The bold fonts, such as unread threads are way too wide, I find it distracting and hard to read. I'm not sold on red links everywhere. It goes against what most sites do with making red links be things that stand out, and it's seriously distracting. I get that it's the theme, but it's just too much red. There's too little usable space. On my 27" 5k iMac, it's a huge amount of white space. The argument is that people don't want to look at huge lines, but generally these high resolution monitors are zoomed in or have DPI scaling. If you're using a 40" 4k monitor, you're probably not having your browser full screen.
Jan 15
next sibling parent Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 06:27:03 UTC, Kapps wrote:
 There's too little usable space. On my 27" 5k iMac, it's a huge 
 amount of white space. The argument is that people don't want 
 to look at huge lines, but generally these high resolution 
 monitors are zoomed in or have DPI scaling. If you're using a 
 40" 4k monitor, you're probably not having your browser full 
 screen.
The maximum page width should be proportional to the text size.
Jan 15
prev sibling parent Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 06:27:03 UTC, Kapps wrote:
 The bold fonts, such as unread threads are way too wide, I find 
 it distracting and hard to read.

 I'm not sold on red links everywhere. It goes against what most 
 sites do with making red links be things that stand out, and 
 it's seriously distracting. I get that it's the theme, but it's 
 just too much red.
Would be great if you could open up your browser's web developer console and mess with the styles (or just grab the source) and post some screenshots of what you think would look better.
Jan 15