www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.debugger - issues solved

reply Cristian Vlasceanu <cristian zero-bugs.com> writes:
Hi All
I am forced into retracting what I have said a few days ago:
"I have already email Walter about this issue and as he is slow as usual 
in addressing Linux back-end issues [...]"

Mea culpa.

Walter was very responsive (just to spite me? :)) and after a few nights 
of email exchanges and hacking that went well after 2AM, we found that:

1) the DW_AT_comp_dir piece of DWARF debug info, which gives the build 
path of a translation unit was being output correctly by the DMD compiler;

2) however, because it was in the DW_FORM_strp (offset to a string) 
form, rather than a plain DW_FORM_string, the linkers on some systems 
took the liberty to mess with it (see 
http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2002-04/msg00144.html:

"Some linkers (including the GNU linker) can remove duplicate strings 
from an executable's .debug_str section, and adjust DW_FORM_strp 
references to point to the remaining unique copies.")

3) The resolution was to use DW_FORM_string, and everything works 
correctly now.


Also, we have agreed upon the debug formats for dynamic D arrays and 
associative arrays.

I have implemented support for the former in ZeroBUGS, and it will go 
out soon.

After I get the new builds out, I will start looking into debugger 
support for associative arrays (although I cannot promise to deliver 
anything in the very near future, due to expecting a new family addition 
any minute now).

cheers,
    Cristian Vlasceanu (http://www.zerobugs.org)
Apr 06 2007
next sibling parent BCS <BCS pathlink.com> writes:
Cristian Vlasceanu wrote:
 Hi All
 I am forced into retracting what I have said a few days ago:
 "I have already email Walter about this issue and as he is slow as usual 
 in addressing Linux back-end issues [...]"
 
 Mea culpa.
 

That (the above) is one of the reasons I like D.
 Walter was very responsive (just to spite me? :)) and after a few nights 
 of email exchanges and hacking that went well after 2AM, we found that:
 
 1) the DW_AT_comp_dir piece of DWARF debug info, which gives the build 
 path of a translation unit was being output correctly by the DMD compiler;
 
 2) however, because it was in the DW_FORM_strp (offset to a string) 
 form, rather than a plain DW_FORM_string, the linkers on some systems 
 took the liberty to mess with it (see 
 http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2002-04/msg00144.html:
 
 "Some linkers (including the GNU linker) can remove duplicate strings 
 from an executable's .debug_str section, and adjust DW_FORM_strp 
 references to point to the remaining unique copies.")
 
 3) The resolution was to use DW_FORM_string, and everything works 
 correctly now.
 

Sweet
 
 Also, we have agreed upon the debug formats for dynamic D arrays and 
 associative arrays.
 

Again
 I have implemented support for the former in ZeroBUGS, and it will go 
 out soon.

I assume that DMD 1.011 will generate said new debug stuff??
 After I get the new builds out, I will start looking into debugger 
 support for associative arrays (although I cannot promise to deliver 
 anything in the very near future, due to expecting a new family addition 
 any minute now).
 

congrats x2!
 cheers,
    Cristian Vlasceanu (http://www.zerobugs.org)

Apr 06 2007
prev sibling parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Cristian Vlasceanu wrote:
 
 After I get the new builds out, I will start looking into debugger 
 support for associative arrays (although I cannot promise to deliver 
 anything in the very near future, due to expecting a new family addition 
 any minute now).
 
 cheers,
    Cristian Vlasceanu (http://www.zerobugs.org)

sounds nice but .. no windows? :'(
Apr 07 2007
parent reply Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:

 
 
 Cristian Vlasceanu wrote:
 
 After I get the new builds out, I will start looking into debugger
 support for associative arrays (although I cannot promise to deliver
 anything in the very near future, due to expecting a new family addition
 any minute now).
 
 cheers,
    Cristian Vlasceanu (http://www.zerobugs.org)

sounds nice but .. no windows? :'(

AFAIK ddbg is for Windows? -- Lars Ivar Igesund blog at http://larsivi.net DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi Dancing the Tango
Apr 07 2007
next sibling parent reply Jascha Wetzel <"[firstname]" mainia.de> writes:
the upcoming Ddbg release takes advantage of the DMD 1.011 debugging
features.

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
 Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 
 Cristian Vlasceanu wrote:
 After I get the new builds out, I will start looking into debugger
 support for associative arrays (although I cannot promise to deliver
 anything in the very near future, due to expecting a new family addition
 any minute now).

 cheers,
    Cristian Vlasceanu (http://www.zerobugs.org)


AFAIK ddbg is for Windows?

Apr 07 2007
parent reply BCS <ao pathlink.com> writes:
Reply to Jascha,

 the upcoming Ddbg release takes advantage of the DMD 1.011 debugging
 features.

wow, people around here ate totally amazing they get support for new features working before the new features are working! Did Walter push out some private alpha versions of 1.011?
Apr 07 2007
parent Frits van Bommel <fvbommel REMwOVExCAPSs.nl> writes:
BCS wrote:
 Reply to Jascha,
 
 the upcoming Ddbg release takes advantage of the DMD 1.011 debugging
 features.

wow, people around here ate totally amazing they get support for new features working before the new features are working! Did Walter push out some private alpha versions of 1.011?

I don't think he'd have to. If the format of the debugging info DMD will output is specified, the debugger can be made to parse it without needing to have access to a compiler that actually outputs it...
Apr 08 2007
prev sibling parent Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
 Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 
 Cristian Vlasceanu wrote:
 After I get the new builds out, I will start looking into debugger
 support for associative arrays (although I cannot promise to deliver
 anything in the very near future, due to expecting a new family addition
 any minute now).

 cheers,
    Cristian Vlasceanu (http://www.zerobugs.org)


AFAIK ddbg is for Windows?

I know, I already use it! but the more the better! :P
Apr 07 2007