www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.debugger - Associative arrays not displayed in debugger

reply Andrew <nobody nowhere.invalid> writes:
I'm not sure if here is the right place for this, but: I'm debugging a
D program using Mago running under Visual D. It doesn't show the
contents of watched associative arrays and I can't figure out how to
make it do so. Google has been unhelpful. 

I can switch to the VS debugger and it will show the internals, but the
view is...highly nonoptimal, to say the least. 

I'm don't know if this is a VD, Mago, or VS problem, and was wondering
if someone here could point me in the right direction. Thanks. 

--

Andrew
Feb 25 2012
next sibling parent reply Aldo Nunez <aldonunez1 gmail.com> writes:
Mago doesn't yet support associative arrays. That's what I'm working on right
now.

So far, I've checked in support for the indexing expression with basic, enum,
pointer, and delegate keys. Next come the "in" expression and struct and array
(including string) keys.
Feb 27 2012
parent reply Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario gmx.de> writes:
On 27.02.2012 16:17, Aldo Nunez wrote:
 Mago doesn't yet support associative arrays. That's what I'm working on right
now.

 So far, I've checked in support for the indexing expression with basic, enum,
 pointer, and delegate keys. Next come the "in" expression and struct and array
 (including string) keys.

Good to see you back :-)
Feb 28 2012
parent Aldo Nunez <aldonunez1 gmail.com> writes:
You bring up a good point in the other post about expanding associative array
(AA) variables. I'll look into the ability to show the elements of an AA as
children when watching such a variable, in addition to looking up specific
elements (indexing and "in").
Feb 28 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario gmx.de> writes:
On 26.02.2012 04:56, Andrew wrote:
 I'm not sure if here is the right place for this, but: I'm debugging a
 D program using Mago running under Visual D. It doesn't show the
 contents of watched associative arrays and I can't figure out how to
 make it do so. Google has been unhelpful.

 I can switch to the VS debugger and it will show the internals, but the
 view is...highly nonoptimal, to say the least.

With the visualizer macros in autoexp.dat, the VS debugger shows an associative array something like this: aarray + [0] <key1, value1> + [1] <key2, value2> + [2] <key3, value3> + [3] <key4, value4> I think this is pretty alright. (See also the tooltip shown here: http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/browser/wiki/debug.png ) If this does not work for you, I expect that the Visual D installer failed to patch autoexp.dat correctly.
Feb 28 2012
parent Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario gmx.de> writes:
I just noticed that a new project still specifies a pre-2.043 D version, 
which had another associative array implementation. You should change 
the D version in the project configuration to "2.043+". I guess I should 
remove that complication completely.

Even if that is set correctly, I agree, it gets a bit messy once you 
want to drill into the keys or values themself. I have now tweaked the 
visualizer to just show key and value.


On 2/29/2012 2:19 AM, Andrew wrote:
 On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:16:47 +0100
 Rainer Schuetze<r.sagitario gmx.de>  wrote:

 On 26.02.2012 04:56, Andrew wrote:
 I'm not sure if here is the right place for this, but: I'm
 debugging a D program using Mago running under Visual D. It doesn't
 show the contents of watched associative arrays and I can't figure
 out how to make it do so. Google has been unhelpful.

 I can switch to the VS debugger and it will show the internals, but
 the view is...highly nonoptimal, to say the least.

With the visualizer macros in autoexp.dat, the VS debugger shows an associative array something like this:

<snip> You're right. On second inspection it seems that it's not the array that's confusing the VS debugger, but its contents. They keys are showing up as garbage. The values are class objects for which I can only see the base type's members, if I expand down far enough to find them. That may be working as designed. I'm mostly familiar with C and python. C didn't have inheritance and I've never done anything complex enough in Python to require a debugger, so I must admit I'm unfamiliar with how debugger watches operate in the presence of inheritance. Given my relative inexperience with D I'm inclined to think the garbage keys indicate a problem with my code rather than a problem with the debugger. :-) Although I'd add that on my end it expands the array into indexed entries; each entry into some implementation details, one of which is "value"; and "value" expands into the actual object. That still strikes me as nonoptimal. array->keys->members_of_key_value would be much nicer. Mago suits me better in all other respects so I'll probably stick with that anyway. -- Andrew

Mar 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Andrew <nobody nowhere.invalid> writes:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:17:49 +0000 (UTC)
Aldo Nunez <aldonunez1 gmail.com> wrote:

 Mago doesn't yet support associative arrays. That's what I'm working
 on right now.

All right. Thank you for responding, and it's good to hear development is still on-going. -- Andrew
Feb 28 2012
prev sibling parent Andrew <nobody nowhere.invalid> writes:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:16:47 +0100
Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario gmx.de> wrote:

 On 26.02.2012 04:56, Andrew wrote:
 I'm not sure if here is the right place for this, but: I'm
 debugging a D program using Mago running under Visual D. It doesn't
 show the contents of watched associative arrays and I can't figure
 out how to make it do so. Google has been unhelpful.

 I can switch to the VS debugger and it will show the internals, but
 the view is...highly nonoptimal, to say the least.

With the visualizer macros in autoexp.dat, the VS debugger shows an associative array something like this:

<snip> You're right. On second inspection it seems that it's not the array that's confusing the VS debugger, but its contents. They keys are showing up as garbage. The values are class objects for which I can only see the base type's members, if I expand down far enough to find them. That may be working as designed. I'm mostly familiar with C and python. C didn't have inheritance and I've never done anything complex enough in Python to require a debugger, so I must admit I'm unfamiliar with how debugger watches operate in the presence of inheritance. Given my relative inexperience with D I'm inclined to think the garbage keys indicate a problem with my code rather than a problem with the debugger. :-) Although I'd add that on my end it expands the array into indexed entries; each entry into some implementation details, one of which is "value"; and "value" expands into the actual object. That still strikes me as nonoptimal. array->keys->members_of_key_value would be much nicer. Mago suits me better in all other respects so I'll probably stick with that anyway. -- Andrew
Feb 28 2012