www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.bugs - [patch] updated reserved version list

reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message


1) fixes http://svn.kuehne.cn/dstress/nocompile/command_line_version_16.d

2) adds the identifiers "Unix", "darwin" and "IA64" (used by gdc-0.8)

3) adds "D_InlineAsm" (it's a compiler feature)

Thomas

--- ./109/dmd/src/dmd/debcond.c	2004-11-03 15:44:36.000000000 +0100
+++ ./109X/dmd/src/dmd/debcond.c	2004-12-07 18:17:18.375980136 +0100
   -112,11 +112,13   
 {
     static char* reserved[] =
     {
-	"DigitalMars", "X86", "AMD64",
+	"DigitalMars", 
+	"X86", "AMD64", "IA64",
 	"Windows", "Win32", "Win64",
-	"linux",
+	"Unix", "linux", "darwin"
 	"LittleEndian", "BigEndian",
-	"none",
+	"D_InlineAsm",
+	"none", "all"
     };
 
     for (unsigned i = 0; i < sizeof(reserved) / sizeof(reserved[0]); i++)


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.9.13 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFBteg33w+/yD4P9tIRAp5sAKCXy+xy1pYyPV35PYB2twdf8vyxxACfcXwv
5o4QW0nZgJHpqZUJCy2GckM=
=qSD6
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Dec 07 2004
next sibling parent Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Thomas Kuehne schrieb am Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:24:24 +0100:
 3) adds "D_InlineAsm" (it's a compiler feature)

arg.. please remove this line, it's already taken care of Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.9.13 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQFBtel63w+/yD4P9tIRAt/iAJ9Y9xk/F7WsuLkmsrM3PhnFYLewVQCfRML1 gFX6us7Zd5BfRc0URJKGksM= =IhtX -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Dec 07 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Thomas Kuehne wrote:
<snip>
 2) adds the identifiers "Unix", "darwin" and "IA64" (used by gdc-0.8)

Did anyone particular decide "darwin" should be in lowercase? FTM, does anyone have any idea why "linux" is lowercase, unlike the others? Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Dec 07 2004
next sibling parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message

Stewart Gordon schrieb am Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:58:32 +0000:
 Thomas Kuehne wrote:
<snip>
 2) adds the identifiers "Unix", "darwin" and "IA64" (used by gdc-0.8)

Did anyone particular decide "darwin" should be in lowercase? FTM, does anyone have any idea why "linux" is lowercase, unlike the others?

Please, the lower case versus capital case issue for Linux has been beaten to death for ages now. I think David Friedman was the first to use "darwin" for MacOS. http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/gdc-1g.tar.bz2 Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.9.13 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQFBtfZY3w+/yD4P9tIRAj/lAJ0UICV5ftHjiwb7AsfaO8C+10USQgCbBMjs DVha0vqQ2+1uCmwNWsbef8k= =LNtO -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Dec 07 2004
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Thomas Kuehne wrote:

Did anyone particular decide "darwin" should be in lowercase?


Walter.
 FTM, does anyone have any idea why "linux" is lowercase, unlike the others?

Please, the lower case versus capital case issue for Linux has been beaten to death for ages now.

That doesn't make it stink less, though ? Most newcomers notice the smell, even if you get used to it after a while in here. Think it had some obscure compiler reason...
 I think David Friedman was the first to use "darwin" for MacOS.

Since the `uname` is Darwin, I think it's just a "side effect" ? (although David Friedman did a lot of Mac OS X porting efforts) The `uname` for Linux is : Linux, which makes the D version "linux". And since the `arch` is ppc, let's call it "PPC" ? :-P It's like logic. In reverse. But "Windows" and "linux" it is. --anders
Dec 07 2004
parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:59:22 +0100, Anders F Björklund <afb algonet.se>  
wrote:
 Thomas Kuehne wrote:

 Did anyone particular decide "darwin" should be in lowercase?


Walter.
 FTM, does anyone have any idea why "linux" is lowercase, unlike the  
 others?

beaten to death for ages now.

That doesn't make it stink less, though ? Most newcomers notice the smell, even if you get used to it after a while in here. Think it had some obscure compiler reason...

IIRC it's a copying of the C compilers "habits". The idea being people are used to it. IMHO they should be case insensitive, after all when are you ever going to want "Abc" or "ABC" or "abc" to mean different things!? Regan
Dec 07 2004
parent reply =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Regan Heath wrote:

 IMHO they should be case insensitive, after all when are you ever going 
 to  want "Abc" or "ABC" or "abc" to mean different things!?

Ehrm, D is a case *sensitive* language ? Which is a good thing I think, if nothing else to keep people from writing "Pascal"... I'll settle for the "alternative" spelling, just because I'm a little consistency freak. --anders
Dec 07 2004
parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:33:49 +0100, Anders F Björklund <afb algonet.se>  
wrote:
 Regan Heath wrote:

 IMHO they should be case insensitive, after all when are you ever going  
 to  want "Abc" or "ABC" or "abc" to mean different things!?

Ehrm, D is a case *sensitive* language ?

I know. That and every other reason I've heard for the current situation doesn't impress me in the slightest.
 Which is a good thing I think, if nothing
 else to keep people from writing "Pascal"...

 I'll settle for the "alternative" spelling,
 just because I'm a little consistency freak.

I would not mind if it were simply consistent i.e. always lowercase or always capitalised first letter, but the current situation is not consistent. IMO adding alternatives will only confuse matters. Regan
Dec 07 2004
parent reply J C Calvarese<jcc7 cox.net> writes:
In article <opsinzx8ol23k2f5 ally>, Regan Heath says...
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:33:49 +0100, Anders F Björklund <afb algonet.se>  
wrote:
 Regan Heath wrote:

 IMHO they should be case insensitive, after all when are you ever going  
 to  want "Abc" or "ABC" or "abc" to mean different things!?

Ehrm, D is a case *sensitive* language ?

I know. That and every other reason I've heard for the current situation doesn't impress me in the slightest.
 Which is a good thing I think, if nothing
 else to keep people from writing "Pascal"...

 I'll settle for the "alternative" spelling,
 just because I'm a little consistency freak.

I would not mind if it were simply consistent i.e. always lowercase or always capitalised first letter, but the current situation is not consistent. IMO adding alternatives will only confuse matters. Regan

I think last time this subject came up I wrote that we should use all lowercase across the board: version(windows) version(linux) version(posix) version(darwin) We're not at 1.0 yet, but it does seem a little late to be fixing this. But the current system is woefully inconsistent as is clearly demonstrated by this thread, so I think we need to consider adopting a consistent convention that can last. jcc7
Dec 07 2004
parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 05:42:14 +0000 (UTC), J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net>  
wrote:
 In article <opsinzx8ol23k2f5 ally>, Regan Heath says...
 On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:33:49 +0100, Anders F Björklund <afb algonet.se>
 wrote:
 Regan Heath wrote:

 IMHO they should be case insensitive, after all when are you ever  
 going
 to  want "Abc" or "ABC" or "abc" to mean different things!?

Ehrm, D is a case *sensitive* language ?

I know. That and every other reason I've heard for the current situation doesn't impress me in the slightest.
 Which is a good thing I think, if nothing
 else to keep people from writing "Pascal"...

 I'll settle for the "alternative" spelling,
 just because I'm a little consistency freak.

I would not mind if it were simply consistent i.e. always lowercase or always capitalised first letter, but the current situation is not consistent. IMO adding alternatives will only confuse matters. Regan

I think last time this subject came up I wrote that we should use all lowercase across the board: version(windows) version(linux) version(posix) version(darwin) We're not at 1.0 yet, but it does seem a little late to be fixing this.

It's never too late. Find and replace will handle this change easily.
 But the
 current system is woefully inconsistent as is clearly demonstrated by  
 this
 thread, so I think we need to consider adopting a consistent convention  
 that can
 last.

Agreed. My vote goes to any of the following: 1. all lowercase 2. capitalise first letter 3. all uppercase in that order, I find #3 uglier than #1 and #2. I think #1 is slightly better in that it's slightly less of a pain to type. Regan
Dec 08 2004
parent reply =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Regan Heath wrote:

 Agreed. My vote goes to any of the following:
 
 1. all lowercase
 2. capitalise first letter
 3. all uppercase
 
 in that order, I find #3 uglier than #1 and #2. I think #1 is slightly  
 better in that it's slightly less of a pain to type.

You would probably love Mac OS X then... Paths like /System/Library/Frameworks :) --anders
Dec 08 2004
parent "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:03:05 +0100, Anders F Björklund <afb algonet.se>  
wrote:
 Regan Heath wrote:

 Agreed. My vote goes to any of the following:
  1. all lowercase
 2. capitalise first letter
 3. all uppercase
  in that order, I find #3 uglier than #1 and #2. I think #1 is  
 slightly  better in that it's slightly less of a pain to type.

You would probably love Mac OS X then... Paths like /System/Library/Frameworks :)

I've noticed, specifically /System/Library/StartupItems (I work for a company writing mail server software which runs on as many OS's as we can manage). Regan
Dec 08 2004
prev sibling parent "Simon Buchan" <currently no.where> writes:
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:58:32 +0000, Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com>  
wrote:

 Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 <snip>
 2) adds the identifiers "Unix", "darwin" and "IA64" (used by gdc-0.8)

Did anyone particular decide "darwin" should be in lowercase? FTM, does anyone have any idea why "linux" is lowercase, unlike the others? Stewart.

I suspect it has something to do with Windows being case insensitive and vice-versa (like with almost the SOLE exception of X, everything in linux seems to be lowercase) -- "Unhappy Microsoft customers have a funny way of becoming Linux, Salesforce.com and Oracle customers." - www.microsoft-watch.com: "The Year in Review: Microsoft Opens Up" -- "I plan on at least one critical patch every month, and I haven't been disappointed." - Adam Hansen, manager of security at Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP (Quote from http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1736104,00.asp) -- "It's been a challenge to "reteach or retrain" Web users to pay for content, said Pizey" -Wired website: "The Incredible Shrinking Comic"
Dec 09 2004
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:24:24 +0100, Thomas Kuehne wrote:

 
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1
 NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
 
 
 1) fixes http://svn.kuehne.cn/dstress/nocompile/command_line_version_16.d
 
 2) adds the identifiers "Unix", "darwin" and "IA64" (used by gdc-0.8)
 

So, Unix is being used instead of Posix still?
Dec 07 2004
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
John Reimer wrote:

2) adds the identifiers "Unix", "darwin" and "IA64" (used by gdc-0.8)

So, Unix is being used instead of Posix still?

AFAIK, the DMD compiler only defines "linux" ? "Unix" is being used by the GDC compiler (now) Should there be some kind of new directive, then "Posix" would be a good standard name... I think it's a little like : Windows / Win32 ? ("operating system" vs. "application interface) Or something... Just HAVING a collective name for e.g. Linux, Mac OS X and FreeBSD would be a start. --anders
Dec 07 2004
parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:16:55 +0100, Anders F Björklund wrote:

 John Reimer wrote:
 
2) adds the identifiers "Unix", "darwin" and "IA64" (used by gdc-0.8)

So, Unix is being used instead of Posix still?

AFAIK, the DMD compiler only defines "linux" ? "Unix" is being used by the GDC compiler (now)

Okay, then I wonder why it uses "Unix"? Why carry gdc's use of "Unix" back to dmd? I assume it's to maintain compatibility between the two compiler systems. Shouldn't this be discussed first before it's presumed to be the right thing to do?
 Should there be some kind of new directive,
 then "Posix" would be a good standard name...
 

I agree.
 I think it's a little like : Windows / Win32 ?
 ("operating system" vs. "application interface)

I see what you are saying. But I don't think "Unix" fits into this picture correctly. "FreeBSD", "Linux", "Darwin", "AIX" -> "Posix" do fit.
 Or something... Just HAVING a collective name for e.g. Linux, Mac OS X
 and FreeBSD would be a start.

I agree. Unix is too broad /and/ ambiguous a term to be used in a any specific naming scheme; and API-based names should be used if a more broad scheme is necesary. It almost looks like gdc's naming methods should be changed then. I apologize for getting repetitive about this; I just see no strict organization or methodology to where the version schemes going. :-( Later, John
Dec 07 2004
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
John Reimer wrote:

 Okay, then I wonder why it uses "Unix"?

David Friedman would know for sure, but the README says:
 Supported Systems
 
     * GCC 3.3.x, 3.4.x
     * Linux (tested on Red Hat 7.2, 8)
     * Mac OS X 10.3.x
     * FreeBSD 5.2.1
     * Cygwin
 
 Similar versions should work and other Unix platforms may work.  Although
 the compiler will probably work on most 32-bit architectures, the D runtime
 library will still need to be updated to support them.

Which does mention the "Unix platforms" that later show up in the patched code for Phobos as: "version(Unix)" Such as it is being used in std.system:
     // Operating system family
     enum Family
     {
 	Win32 = 1,	// Microsoft 32 bit Windows systems
 	linux,		// all linux systems
 	Unix,           // all other
 	}
 
     version (Win32)
     {
 	Family family = Family.Win32;
     }
     else version (linux)
     {
 	Family family = Family.linux;
     }
     else version (Unix)
     {
       Family family = Family.Unix;
     }
     else
     {
 	static assert(0);
     }

You can download the gdc distribution and check yourself. http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/gdc-0.8.tar.bz2
 Why carry gdc's use of "Unix" back to dmd? 

Probably since it's in use in the patched code already, but it's probably not that hard to search/replace... ?
I think it's a little like : Windows / Win32 ?
("operating system" vs. "application interface)

I see what you are saying. But I don't think "Unix" fits into this picture correctly. "FreeBSD", "Linux", "Darwin", "AIX" -> "Posix" do fit.

No argument there. "version (Posix)" would work nice I think ? And I wouldn't cry if "Linux" and "Darwin" were added too, in addition to the current "linux" and "darwin" versions... As for architectures, the offical list is missing PPC and PPC64, but I have already reported that shortcoming here. It is also missing "GNU", as the "compiler vendor" for GDC... (although I'm not sure if GDC is an official project just yet) With official, I mean: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/version.html --anders
Dec 07 2004
parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Anders F Bj=C3=B6rklund schrieb am Dienstag, 7. Dezember 2004 21:00:
I think it's a little like : Windows / Win32 ?
("operating system" vs. "application interface)

I see what you are saying. But I don't think "Unix" fits into this picture correctly. "FreeBSD", "Linux", "Darwin", "AIX" -> "Posix" d=


 fit.

No argument there. "version (Posix)" would work nice I think ? =20 And I wouldn't cry if "Linux" and "Darwin" were added too, in addition to the current "linux" and "darwin" versions...

The attached patch: 1) adds "Posix" for Linux platfroms 2) replaces "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" with "Posix", "Linux" and "dar= win" 3) enables "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" in the deprecated mode (dmd -d)= Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.9.13 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQFBtt2O3w+/yD4P9tIRAtdsAKDMVaXNHD/qGfHHCLsi+LXIIwFk6gCfVhD4 vdwwoUnsE/VmCI4SCt6ssms=3D =3D6cT2 -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Dec 08 2004
next sibling parent =?UTF-8?B?QW5kZXJzIEYgQmrDtnJrbHVuZA==?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Thomas Kuehne wrote:

 The attached patch:
 1) adds "Posix" for Linux platfroms
 2) replaces "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" with "Posix", "Linux" and "Darwin"
 3) enables "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" in the deprecated mode (dmd -d)

Sounds good! Let's see if it catches on (i.e. what Walter thinks) I'm pretty sure that the lowercase "linux" will remain, :( for compatibility with some old C compiler or what it was. At least it seemed that way, last time this was discussed - in the context of the usage of version(Linux) in std/loader.d (there's also a long d.D thread called "versioning other OS") But whether it is offically deprecated or not, I like the new ones. --anders
Dec 08 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
Thanks Thomas!

I too hope it gains support.

Later,

John

Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1
 
 Anders F Björklund schrieb am Dienstag, 7. Dezember 2004 21:00:
 
I think it's a little like : Windows / Win32 ?
("operating system" vs. "application interface)

I see what you are saying. But I don't think "Unix" fits into this picture correctly. "FreeBSD", "Linux", "Darwin", "AIX" -> "Posix" do fit.

No argument there. "version (Posix)" would work nice I think ? And I wouldn't cry if "Linux" and "Darwin" were added too, in addition to the current "linux" and "darwin" versions...

The attached patch: 1) adds "Posix" for Linux platfroms 2) replaces "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" with "Posix", "Linux" and "darwin" 3) enables "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" in the deprecated mode (dmd -d) Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.9.13 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQFBtt2O3w+/yD4P9tIRAtdsAKDMVaXNHD/qGfHHCLsi+LXIIwFk6gCfVhD4 vdwwoUnsE/VmCI4SCt6ssms= =6cT2 -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message # 1) adds version identifier Posix for Linux systems # 2) declares Unix, linux and darwin as deprecated version identifiers diff -ur org-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/mars.c neu-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/mars.c --- org-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/mars.c 2004-12-01 01:18:22.000000000 +0100 +++ neu-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/mars.c 2004-12-08 11:30:50.513512192 +0100 -192,7 +192,8 VersionCondition::addPredefinedGlobalIdent("Win32"); #endif #if linux - VersionCondition::addPredefinedGlobalIdent("linux"); + VersionCondition::addPredefinedGlobalIdent("Posix"); + VersionCondition::addPredefinedGlobalIdent("Linux"); global.params.isLinux = 1; #endif /* linux */ VersionCondition::addPredefinedGlobalIdent("X86"); diff -ur org-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/parse.c neu-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/parse.c --- org-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/parse.c 2004-12-03 01:19:56.000000000 +0100 +++ neu-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/parse.c 2004-12-08 11:30:50.625495168 +0100 -584,9 +584,27 unsigned level = 1; Identifier *id = NULL; - if (token.value == TOKidentifier) - id = token.ident; - else if (token.value == TOKint32v) + if (token.value == TOKidentifier){ + static char* oldVersion[] = { + "Unix", "linux", "darwin" + }; + + static char* newVersion[] = { + "Posix", "Linux", "Darwin" + }; + + for(size_t i = 0; i < sizeof(oldVersion) / sizeof(oldVersion[0]); i++){ + if(strcmp(oldVersion[i], token.ident->string)==0){ + if(global.params.useDeprecated){ + token.ident->string=newVersion[i]; + }else{ + error("version identifier '%s' is deprecated, use '%s'", oldVersion[i], newVersion[i]); + } + break; + } + } + id = token.ident; + }else if (token.value == TOKint32v) level = (unsigned)token.uns64value; else error("identifier or integer expected, not %s", token.toChars()); -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.9.13 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQFBttuP3w+/yD4P9tIRAkYiAJ9avP0xiowYFU0QRook2g9MLYVvwgCdG8yM ZwjgCIJ4TvLoDfpjSihRgE0= =TM6X -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Dec 08 2004
parent Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
I certainly support this. The current scheme is confusing and no reason 
can possibly be good enough to support it.

Lars Ivar Igesund

John Reimer wrote:
 Thanks Thomas!
 
 I too hope it gains support.
 
 Later,
 
 John
 
 Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1

 Anders F Björklund schrieb am Dienstag, 7. Dezember 2004 21:00:

 I think it's a little like : Windows / Win32 ?
 ("operating system" vs. "application interface)

I see what you are saying. But I don't think "Unix" fits into this picture correctly. "FreeBSD", "Linux", "Darwin", "AIX" -> "Posix" do fit.

No argument there. "version (Posix)" would work nice I think ? And I wouldn't cry if "Linux" and "Darwin" were added too, in addition to the current "linux" and "darwin" versions...

The attached patch: 1) adds "Posix" for Linux platfroms 2) replaces "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" with "Posix", "Linux" and "darwin" 3) enables "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" in the deprecated mode (dmd -d) Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.9.13 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQFBtt2O3w+/yD4P9tIRAtdsAKDMVaXNHD/qGfHHCLsi+LXIIwFk6gCfVhD4 vdwwoUnsE/VmCI4SCt6ssms= =6cT2 -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message # 1) adds version identifier Posix for Linux systems # 2) declares Unix, linux and darwin as deprecated version identifiers diff -ur org-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/mars.c neu-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/mars.c --- org-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/mars.c 2004-12-01 01:18:22.000000000 +0100 +++ neu-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/mars.c 2004-12-08 11:30:50.513512192 +0100 -192,7 +192,8 VersionCondition::addPredefinedGlobalIdent("Win32"); #endif #if linux - VersionCondition::addPredefinedGlobalIdent("linux"); + VersionCondition::addPredefinedGlobalIdent("Posix"); + VersionCondition::addPredefinedGlobalIdent("Linux"); global.params.isLinux = 1; #endif /* linux */ VersionCondition::addPredefinedGlobalIdent("X86"); diff -ur org-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/parse.c neu-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/parse.c --- org-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/parse.c 2004-12-03 01:19:56.000000000 +0100 +++ neu-0.109/dmd/src/dmd/parse.c 2004-12-08 11:30:50.625495168 +0100 -584,9 +584,27 unsigned level = 1; Identifier *id = NULL; - if (token.value == TOKidentifier) - id = token.ident; - else if (token.value == TOKint32v) + if (token.value == TOKidentifier){ + static char* oldVersion[] = { + "Unix", "linux", "darwin" + }; + + static char* newVersion[] = { + "Posix", "Linux", "Darwin" + }; + + for(size_t i = 0; i < sizeof(oldVersion) / sizeof(oldVersion[0]); i++){ + if(strcmp(oldVersion[i], token.ident->string)==0){ + if(global.params.useDeprecated){ + token.ident->string=newVersion[i]; + }else{ + error("version identifier '%s' is deprecated, use '%s'", oldVersion[i], newVersion[i]); + } + break; + } + } + id = token.ident; + }else if (token.value == TOKint32v) level = (unsigned)token.uns64value; else error("identifier or integer expected, not %s", token.toChars()); -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.9.13 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQFBttuP3w+/yD4P9tIRAkYiAJ9avP0xiowYFU0QRook2g9MLYVvwgCdG8yM ZwjgCIJ4TvLoDfpjSihRgE0= =TM6X -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


Dec 08 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:55:07 +0100, Thomas Kuehne  
<thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> wrote:
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1

 Anders F Björklund schrieb am Dienstag, 7. Dezember 2004 21:00:
 I think it's a little like : Windows / Win32 ?
 ("operating system" vs. "application interface)

I see what you are saying. But I don't think "Unix" fits into this picture correctly. "FreeBSD", "Linux", "Darwin", "AIX" -> "Posix" do fit.

No argument there. "version (Posix)" would work nice I think ? And I wouldn't cry if "Linux" and "Darwin" were added too, in addition to the current "linux" and "darwin" versions...

The attached patch: 1) adds "Posix" for Linux platfroms 2) replaces "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" with "Posix", "Linux" and "darwin" 3) enables "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" in the deprecated mode (dmd -d)

Why not "Darwin"? To be consistent. Regan
Dec 08 2004
parent Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message

Regan Heath schrieb am Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:11:18 +1300:
 On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:55:07 +0100, Thomas Kuehne  
<thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> wrote:
 The attached patch:
 1) adds "Posix" for Linux platforms
 2) replaces "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" with "Posix", "Linux" and  
 "darwin"
 3) enables "Unix", "linux" and "darwin" in the deprecated mode (dmd -d)

Why not "Darwin"? To be consistent.

That's a typo ... The actual patch uses "Darwin" *g* Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.9.13 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQFBt3b93w+/yD4P9tIRAol9AKC8I29l0X2uNsA0MSASxJ0ppM+eDQCgg3mV 35RrLfkxHEWQwh7fdf0VVWI= =3t4N -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Dec 08 2004