www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - dmd 1.075 and 2.060 release

reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip
Aug 02 2012
next sibling parent reply "bearophile" <bearophileHUGS lycos.com> writes:
Walter Bright:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

And there is the first step of this change too: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=6652 Bye, bearophile
Aug 02 2012
next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/2/2012 12:40 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:
 Nice update, but broke Derelict2 :-(

 Regression: delegates with default arguments are broken (worked in 2.059)


 void foo(void delegate(int x = 0) fun)
 {
      fun(); // Error: expected 1 function arguments, not 0
 }

Known issue, it's an inevitable result (it never worked right anyway): http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=8454 P.S. You might want to monitor the beta releases.
Aug 02 2012
next sibling parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/2/2012 12:42 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
 http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=8454

corrected url: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=3866
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling parent Mike Parker <aldacron gmail.com> writes:
On 8/3/2012 4:50 AM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
 On 8/2/12, Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> wrote:
 Known issue, it's an inevitable result (it never worked right anyway):

 http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=8454

 P.S. You might want to monitor the beta releases.

I've posted about that exact Derelict case in Issue 3866 during the betas, but nobody replied. But a library solution could be made if one wants to use an inner alias. Maybe we even have one in Phobos? Something like: void foo(void delegate(string s, bool isTrue) dg) { alias DefVal!(dg, true) deg; // use deg as if it were dg() with default for 'isTrue' } Not the most readable code.. but it's similar to curry (except backwards) I guess.

It's a trivial fix, anyway. I fixed it in Derelict 3 some time ago. Didn't think about Derelict 2.
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?UTF-8?B?QWxleCBSw7hubmUgUGV0ZXJzZW4=?= <alex lycus.org> writes:
On 02-08-2012 21:40, Peter Alexander wrote:
 Nice update, but broke Derelict2 :-(

 Regression: delegates with default arguments are broken (worked in 2.059)


 void foo(void delegate(int x = 0) fun)
 {
      fun(); // Error: expected 1 function arguments, not 0
 }

I think it was decided that this was not a regression, if memory serves. I believe the reasoning was that default parameters on delegates just don't make sense in the general case, so it wasn't worth fixing. I could be wrong. I can't seem to find the relevant bug. Anyone? -- Alex Rønne Petersen alex lycus.org http://lycus.org
Aug 02 2012
parent =?UTF-8?B?QWxleCBSw7hubmUgUGV0ZXJzZW4=?= <alex lycus.org> writes:
On 02-08-2012 21:44, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
 On 02-08-2012 21:40, Peter Alexander wrote:
 Nice update, but broke Derelict2 :-(

 Regression: delegates with default arguments are broken (worked in 2.059)


 void foo(void delegate(int x = 0) fun)
 {
      fun(); // Error: expected 1 function arguments, not 0
 }

I think it was decided that this was not a regression, if memory serves. I believe the reasoning was that default parameters on delegates just don't make sense in the general case, so it wasn't worth fixing. I could be wrong. I can't seem to find the relevant bug. Anyone?

Oh, Walter already replied with the relevant URL. :) -- Alex Rønne Petersen alex lycus.org http://lycus.org
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Timon Gehr <timon.gehr gmx.ch> writes:
On 08/02/2012 09:28 PM, bearophile wrote:
 Walter Bright:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

And there is the first step of this change too: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=6652 Bye, bearophile

Which is the wrong thing to do. 'ref' means that the range itself can be changed, not the order that it is iterated in. If this flexibilty is required, a plain 'for' loop suffices.
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling parent Mike Parker <aldacron gmail.com> writes:
On 8/3/2012 4:40 AM, Peter Alexander wrote:
 Nice update, but broke Derelict2 :-(

 Regression: delegates with default arguments are broken (worked in 2.059)


 void foo(void delegate(int x = 0) fun)
 {
      fun(); // Error: expected 1 function arguments, not 0
 }

I've committed the fix Derelict2.
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Peter Alexander" <peter.alexander.au gmail.com> writes:
Nice update, but broke Derelict2 :-(

Regression: delegates with default arguments are broken (worked 
in 2.059)


void foo(void delegate(int x = 0) fun)
{
	fun(); // Error: expected 1 function arguments, not 0
}
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Alex_R=F8nne_Petersen?= <alex lycus.org> writes:
On 02-08-2012 21:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Changelog is not updated? -- Alex Rnne Petersen alex lycus.org http://lycus.org
Aug 02 2012
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Alex_R=F8nne_Petersen?= <alex lycus.org> writes:
On 02-08-2012 21:48, Alex Rnne Petersen wrote:
 On 02-08-2012 21:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Changelog is not updated?

It's updated now, but now the page just seems completely misrendered. -- Alex Rnne Petersen alex lycus.org http://lycus.org
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Paul D. Anderson" <paul.d.removethis.anderson comcast.andthis.net> writes:
On Thursday, 2 August 2012 at 19:19:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

The 1.0 changelog link correctly displays version 1.075, but the 2.0 changelog still displays version 2.059 Paul
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
On 8/2/12, Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> wrote:
 Known issue, it's an inevitable result (it never worked right anyway):

 http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=8454

 P.S. You might want to monitor the beta releases.

I've posted about that exact Derelict case in Issue 3866 during the betas, but nobody replied. But a library solution could be made if one wants to use an inner alias. Maybe we even have one in Phobos? Something like: void foo(void delegate(string s, bool isTrue) dg) { alias DefVal!(dg, true) deg; // use deg as if it were dg() with default for 'isTrue' } Not the most readable code.. but it's similar to curry (except backwards) I guess.
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Alex_R=F8nne_Petersen?= <alex lycus.org> writes:
On 02-08-2012 21:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Unfortunately ran into a couple of regressions (though nothing major). One is here (and is fairly trivial to work around): http://j.mp/MftNLG Another one, which I haven't quite worked out a reduction of, is that the 'result' here is being claimed by DMD to be an undefined identifier: https://github.com/lycus/mci/blob/master/src/mci/vm/code.d#L59 I just commented out the postcondition there for now. Will try to create a useful reduction later today. -- Alex Rnne Petersen alex lycus.org http://lycus.org
Aug 02 2012
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/2/2012 1:08 PM, Alex Rnne Petersen wrote:
 Unfortunately ran into a couple of regressions (though nothing major).

Please join the beta program!
Aug 02 2012
next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Alex_R=F8nne_Petersen?= <alex lycus.org> writes:
On 02-08-2012 23:25, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 8/2/2012 1:08 PM, Alex Rnne Petersen wrote:
 Unfortunately ran into a couple of regressions (though nothing major).

Please join the beta program!

I usually do, but didn't really get the time to try it out this release. -- Alex Rnne Petersen alex lycus.org http://lycus.org
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-08-02 23:25, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 8/2/2012 1:08 PM, Alex Rnne Petersen wrote:
 Unfortunately ran into a couple of regressions (though nothing major).

Please join the beta program!

Perhaps we want to start announcing the betas in the announce newsgroup. We want as many people as possible to try the beta, not hide it. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "dnewbie" <run3 myopera.com> writes:
Memory usage of my program when compiled by dmd2.057, 2.058, 
2.059 & 2.060:
http://postimage.org/image/hqn6l4l8p/

It's a great improvement. Thanks for the new release.
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.olsh gmail.com> writes:
On 02-Aug-12 23:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Yay! And even more great pulls are coming. -- Dmitry Olshansky
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Peter Alexander" <peter.alexander.au gmail.com> writes:
Ok, got another regression. Quite a scary bug.

http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=8497
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Philippe Sigaud <philippe.sigaud gmail.com> writes:
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM, dnewbie <run3 myopera.com> wrote:
 Memory usage of my program when compiled by dmd2.057, 2.058, 2.059 & 2.060:
 http://postimage.org/image/hqn6l4l8p/

 It's a great improvement. Thanks for the new release.

Wow.
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-08-02 21:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

The changelog page is broken. It shows the "$(D_S D Change Log," macro. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 02 2012
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 8/2/12 4:36 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2012-08-02 21:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

The changelog page is broken. It shows the "$(D_S D Change Log," macro.

I think I fixed it. Andrei
Aug 02 2012
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-08-02 22:55, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

 I think I fixed it.

Thanks. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
On 8/2/12, Philippe Sigaud <philippe.sigaud gmail.com> wrote:
 On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM, dnewbie <run3 myopera.com> wrote:
 Memory usage of my program when compiled by dmd2.057, 2.058, 2.059 &
 2.060:
 http://postimage.org/image/hqn6l4l8p/

 It's a great improvement. Thanks for the new release.

Wow.

Might be just a Phobos function which was improved? I'm seeing the exact same memory use for my apps.
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Peter Alexander" <peter.alexander.au gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 2 August 2012 at 20:38:11 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
 On 8/2/12, Philippe Sigaud <philippe.sigaud gmail.com> wrote:
 On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM, dnewbie <run3 myopera.com> 
 wrote:
 Memory usage of my program when compiled by dmd2.057, 2.058, 
 2.059 &
 2.060:
 http://postimage.org/image/hqn6l4l8p/

 It's a great improvement. Thanks for the new release.

Wow.

Might be just a Phobos function which was improved? I'm seeing the exact same memory use for my apps.

More likely it's probably just that a Phobos module was changed to import less.
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Marco Leise <Marco.Leise gmx.de> writes:
Am Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:18:37 -0700
schrieb Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com>:

 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

A new Gentoo ebuild is submitted for review as well. Thanks for the posix.mak changes and zlib update, I could delete quite a bit of my patch. By the way, it would be great if the bash completion script was also available in the .zip distribution. -- Marco
Aug 02 2012
next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/2/2012 1:46 PM, Marco Leise wrote:
 By the way, it would be great if the bash completion script was also available
in the .zip distribution.

Please submit a pull request.
Aug 02 2012
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/2/2012 3:26 PM, Marco Leise wrote:
 Am Thu, 02 Aug 2012 14:54:01 -0700
 schrieb Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com>:

 On 8/2/2012 1:46 PM, Marco Leise wrote:
 By the way, it would be great if the bash completion script was also available
in the .zip distribution.

Please submit a pull request.

I'm not its maintainer. I'd like the person who updates it, to know and/or do the pull request.

The beauty of git is you don't have to be "the maintainer". Anyone can submit pull requests for any project.
Aug 02 2012
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/2/2012 10:47 PM, Marco Leise wrote:
 Am Thu, 02 Aug 2012 19:23:15 -0700 schrieb Walter Bright
 <newshound2 digitalmars.com>:

 The beauty of git is you don't have to be "the maintainer". Anyone can
 submit pull requests for any project.

I did use GitHub fork & pull request before to fix a small bug in Phobos. What I mean is, the person who wrote the bash completion script will not know that the file moved over to GitHub and keep updating whatever is the original source. Don't you know by chance who is responsible for the Ubuntu packages?

Do you mean Jordi Sayol? His scripts are in the 'installer' project on github.
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-08-02 22:46, Marco Leise wrote:

 A new Gentoo ebuild is submitted for review as well. Thanks for the posix.mak
changes and zlib update, I could delete quite a bit of my patch. By the way, it
would be great if the bash completion script was also available in the .zip
distribution.

Is there a bash completion script, where? -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 03 2012
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-08-03 14:47, Jordi Sayol wrote:

 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/blob/master/linux/dmd-completion

 It's based on "d-completion.sh" at https://github.com/Lutger/d_utils

How about that. It should absolutely be bundled with the .zip. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 03 2012
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-08-03 22:27, Jordi Sayol wrote:

 dmd deb and rpm packages include it, but this script do not works out of the
box. bash-completion package must be installed, and the script should be placed
in a specific folder.

Unfortunately those packages don't work on Mac OS X :) . I have the bash completion package installed via macports. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Piotr Szturmaj <bncrbme jadamspam.pl> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

It's nice to see it's getting better and better. Good work!
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Marco Leise <Marco.Leise gmx.de> writes:
Am Thu, 02 Aug 2012 14:54:01 -0700
schrieb Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com>:

 On 8/2/2012 1:46 PM, Marco Leise wrote:
 By the way, it would be great if the bash completion script was also available
in the .zip distribution.

Please submit a pull request.

I'm not its maintainer. I'd like the person who updates it, to know and/or do the pull request. -- Marco
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:18:37 Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

The changelog is old. It did not get the changes from issue# 8459, so it still lists isSafe as being changed to check for safe only. - Jonathan M Davis
Aug 02 2012
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 8/2/12 6:46 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
 On Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:18:37 Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

The changelog is old. It did not get the changes from issue# 8459, so it still lists isSafe as being changed to check for safe only. - Jonathan M Davis

A propos, is it about time to give up on changelog and replace it with bugzilla data-range queries? Maintaining the log is a manual time-wasting chore and bugzilla actually formats the data nicer. Thoughts? Destroy changelog starting with 061? Andrei
Aug 02 2012
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 8/2/12 7:15 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
 We need changelog.dd for the new/changes section (which is where the problem
 is in this case), but your suggestion makes sense for the bugzilla section. It
 requires someone doing the work though. I threw together a quick program to
 grab the bugfix list from bugzilla and write it to a file, which is why the
 Phobos bugfix list is as complete as it is, but I have no idea how you'd go
 about automating it in the web page (as assume you'd be looking to do). My
 knowledge of web-related programming is negligible. So, I like the idea, but I
 have no idea who's actually going to implement it.

I was thinking of simply placing a link under "Bugs fixed". Regarding new features, we can continue putting them in changelog or we could describe them in bugzilla as "enhancement". Andrei
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On Thursday, August 02, 2012 19:04:06 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 8/2/12 6:46 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
 On Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:18:37 Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

The changelog is old. It did not get the changes from issue# 8459, so it still lists isSafe as being changed to check for safe only. - Jonathan M Davis

A propos, is it about time to give up on changelog and replace it with bugzilla data-range queries? Maintaining the log is a manual time-wasting chore and bugzilla actually formats the data nicer. Thoughts? Destroy changelog starting with 061?

We need changelog.dd for the new/changes section (which is where the problem is in this case), but your suggestion makes sense for the bugzilla section. It requires someone doing the work though. I threw together a quick program to grab the bugfix list from bugzilla and write it to a file, which is why the Phobos bugfix list is as complete as it is, but I have no idea how you'd go about automating it in the web page (as assume you'd be looking to do). My knowledge of web-related programming is negligible. So, I like the idea, but I have no idea who's actually going to implement it. - Jonathan M Davis
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Marco Leise <Marco.Leise gmx.de> writes:
Am Thu, 02 Aug 2012 19:23:15 -0700
schrieb Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com>:

 The beauty of git is you don't have to be "the maintainer". Anyone can submit 
 pull requests for any project.

I did use GitHub fork & pull request before to fix a small bug in Phobos. What I mean is, the person who wrote the bash completion script will not know that the file moved over to GitHub and keep updating whatever is the original source. Don't you know by chance who is responsible for the Ubuntu packages? -- Marco
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-08-02 21:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Yet another impressive release :) -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 02 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Mike James" <foo bar.com> writes:
"Walter Bright" <newshound2 digitalmars.com> wrote in message 
news:jvejr8$2s31$1 digitalmars.com...
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Oh dear... I've just updated to 2.060 from 2.059 using the Windows Install program. The code that compiled/linked successfully yesterday now comes up with the following errors... OPTLINK (R) for Win32 Release 8.00.12 Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989-2010 All rights reserved. http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/optlink.html Debug\DDS_Table_Generator.obj(DDS_Table_Generator) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D4core6memory2GC6qallocFkkZS4core6memory8BlkInfo_ Debug\DDS_Table_Generator.obj(DDS_Table_Generator) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D4core6memory2GC6extendFPvkkZk Debug\DDS_Table_Generator.obj(DDS_Table_Generator) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D4core5bitop3bsrFNaNbkZi Have some files failed to be updated? Regards, Mike.
Aug 03 2012
next sibling parent reply Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On Friday, August 03, 2012 08:44:59 Mike James wrote:
 "Walter Bright" <newshound2 digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:jvejr8$2s31$1 digitalmars.com...
 
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Oh dear... I've just updated to 2.060 from 2.059 using the Windows Install program. The code that compiled/linked successfully yesterday now comes up with the following errors... OPTLINK (R) for Win32 Release 8.00.12 Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989-2010 All rights reserved. http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/optlink.html Debug\DDS_Table_Generator.obj(DDS_Table_Generator) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D4core6memory2GC6qallocFkkZS4core6memory8BlkInfo_ Debug\DDS_Table_Generator.obj(DDS_Table_Generator) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D4core6memory2GC6extendFPvkkZk Debug\DDS_Table_Generator.obj(DDS_Table_Generator) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D4core5bitop3bsrFNaNbkZi Have some files failed to be updated? Regards, Mike.

I think that that means that you have some old .di files. Uninstall and make sure that everything has been deleted. Then reinstall.
From the sounds of it, the installer needs some improvement though.

- Jonathan M Davis
Aug 03 2012
parent reply "Mike James" <foo bar.com> writes:
"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg gmx.com> wrote in message 
news:mailman.996.1343981351.31962.digitalmars-d-announce puremagic.com...
 On Friday, August 03, 2012 08:44:59 Mike James wrote:
 "Walter Bright" <newshound2 digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:jvejr8$2s31$1 digitalmars.com...

 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Oh dear... I've just updated to 2.060 from 2.059 using the Windows Install program. The code that compiled/linked successfully yesterday now comes up with the following errors... OPTLINK (R) for Win32 Release 8.00.12 Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989-2010 All rights reserved. http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/optlink.html Debug\DDS_Table_Generator.obj(DDS_Table_Generator) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D4core6memory2GC6qallocFkkZS4core6memory8BlkInfo_ Debug\DDS_Table_Generator.obj(DDS_Table_Generator) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D4core6memory2GC6extendFPvkkZk Debug\DDS_Table_Generator.obj(DDS_Table_Generator) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D4core5bitop3bsrFNaNbkZi Have some files failed to be updated? Regards, Mike.

I think that that means that you have some old .di files. Uninstall and make sure that everything has been deleted. Then reinstall.
From the sounds of it, the installer needs some improvement though.

- Jonathan M Davis

Thanks - I did a fresh install and now everythings back to normal :-) Regards, Mike.
Aug 03 2012
next sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-08-03 10:25, Mike James wrote:

 Thanks - I did a fresh install and now everythings back to normal :-)

Just use DVM: https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm No problems, supports multiple installations of DMD. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 03 2012
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-08-05 08:06, 1100110 wrote:

 It hates zsh, and segfaults on 64bit Arch with bash.
 So there are a couple of problems actually...
 I would hunt down the bug, but I've avoided dsss, tango, and d1 far too
 long to stop now.

I'm going to port it to D2. You don't need to find a fix yourself but could you please report the bug(s) anyway: https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 05 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.olsh gmail.com> writes:
On 03-Aug-12 20:57, Philippe Sigaud wrote:
 On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Mike James <foo bar.com> wrote:

 Well, I installed "by hand" on windows, as I did for the previous
 releases and nothing links anymore.
 Then, at home, the same for linux. I did the exact moves/copies I did
 for 2.057, 2.058 and 2.059 and I never had this problem before.

 So now, all my DMD installs are broken :) What was changed in this
 release exactly?

 What Jonathan, what do you mean by old .di files? I never create any .di

If you (like I did) just extract zip over your dmd installation this could lead to unpleasant surprise as some files should be now deleted yet new compiler will happily pick up old ones and get to a link error. Just obliterate your previous installation before setting up new one :) -- Dmitry Olshansky
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling parent Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On Friday, August 03, 2012 18:57:29 Philippe Sigaud wrote:
 On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Mike James <foo bar.com> wrote:
 
 Well, I installed "by hand" on windows, as I did for the previous
 releases and nothing links anymore.
 Then, at home, the same for linux. I did the exact moves/copies I did
 for 2.057, 2.058 and 2.059 and I never had this problem before.
 
 So now, all my DMD installs are broken :) What was changed in this
 release exactly?
 
 What Jonathan, what do you mean by old .di files? I never create any .di

druntime does. There was some shuffling around with that this release. Most of druntime no longer creates .di files anymore but rather just copies over the .d files. I don't know exactly what the deal is with core.memory and core.bitop, but there were issues with them if the imports directory wasn't properly cleaned out (and druntime's makefile's clean target didn't clean it out properly for a bit there), resulting in errors along the lines of what the OP reported. It probably ended up with a .di and .d file next to each other, but I'm not sure. I suspect that the Windows installer fails to remove the old stuff if you don't uninstall first, so you end up with a bad install if you don't uninstall first, but I don't know. - Jonathan M Davis
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Philippe Sigaud <philippe.sigaud gmail.com> writes:
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Mike James <foo bar.com> wrote:

Well, I installed "by hand" on windows, as I did for the previous
releases and nothing links anymore.
Then, at home, the same for linux. I did the exact moves/copies I did
for 2.057, 2.058 and 2.059 and I never had this problem before.

So now, all my DMD installs are broken :) What was changed in this
release exactly?

What Jonathan, what do you mean by old .di files? I never create any .di
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
On 8/3/12, Philippe Sigaud <philippe.sigaud gmail.com> wrote:
 On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Mike James <foo bar.com> wrote:

 Well, I installed "by hand" on windows, as I did for the previous
 releases and nothing links anymore.

Not even a simple void main()? Usually when I upgrade I have to recompile all my dependencies of a project because otherwise it won't link.
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Philippe Sigaud <philippe.sigaud gmail.com> writes:
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Andrej Mitrovic
<andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> wrote:
 On 8/3/12, Philippe Sigaud <philippe.sigaud gmail.com> wrote:
 On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Mike James <foo bar.com> wrote:

 Well, I installed "by hand" on windows, as I did for the previous
 releases and nothing links anymore.

Not even a simple void main()? Usually when I upgrade I have to recompile all my dependencies of a project because otherwise it won't link.

No, not even void main(). And the .deb never worked for me, nor the windows installer, nor dvm (downdload files, but never change the links since 2.057 and never call the correct compiler). Sigh. That'll be a nice evening...
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Philippe Sigaud <philippe.sigaud gmail.com> writes:
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.olsh gmail.com> wrote:

 If you (like I did) just extract zip over your dmd installation this could
 lead to unpleasant surprise as some  files should be now deleted yet new
 compiler will happily pick up old ones and get to a link error.

 Just obliterate your previous installation before setting up new one :)

sudo apt-get obliterate dmd sudo apt-get reinstall-by-hand dmd It worked! I don't remember having to do that before. I'll try that on Windows. A big thanks!
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling parent 1100110 <10equals2 gmail.com> writes:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 07:30:43 -0500, Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> wrote:

 On 2012-08-03 10:25, Mike James wrote:

 Thanks - I did a fresh install and now everythings back to normal :-)

Just use DVM: https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm No problems, supports multiple installations of DMD.

So there are a couple of problems actually... I would hunt down the bug, but I've avoided dsss, tango, and d1 far too long to stop now. -- Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Aug 04 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "F i L" <witte2008 gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 2 August 2012 at 19:19:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Nice! Good to see a std.container get a DList. Also, has something changed with core.simd? It's not showing in the library reference now, but I didn't see anything about a module change in the change log... ?
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On Friday, August 03, 2012 11:00:21 F i L wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 August 2012 at 19:19:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Nice! Good to see a std.container get a DList. Also, has something changed with core.simd? It's not showing in the library reference now, but I didn't see anything about a module change in the change log... ?

It's still there. I have no idea why it doesn't show up in the online docs. You can report it though: http://d.puremagic.com/issues - Jonathan m Davis
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Jordi Sayol <g.sayol yahoo.es> writes:
Al 02/08/12 22:46, En/na Marco Leise ha escrit:
 
 By the way, it would be great if the bash completion script was also available
in the .zip distribution.
 

By now, the bash completion script uses binary zip file (not its structure) to build deb packages, so there is not much sense to include these scripts on the release zip file. Anyway, zip, deb and rpm packages are always released at same time. I know that this is not the standard way to build deb packages, but binaries inside these zip files have been tested. Regards, -- Jordi Sayol
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Leandro Lucarella <luca llucax.com.ar> writes:
Andrei Alexandrescu, el  2 de August a las 19:28 me escribiste:
 On 8/2/12 7:15 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
We need changelog.dd for the new/changes section (which is where the problem
is in this case), but your suggestion makes sense for the bugzilla section. It
requires someone doing the work though. I threw together a quick program to
grab the bugfix list from bugzilla and write it to a file, which is why the
Phobos bugfix list is as complete as it is, but I have no idea how you'd go
about automating it in the web page (as assume you'd be looking to do). My
knowledge of web-related programming is negligible. So, I like the idea, but I
have no idea who's actually going to implement it.

I was thinking of simply placing a link under "Bugs fixed". Regarding new features, we can continue putting them in changelog or we could describe them in bugzilla as "enhancement".

Is always nice to have a more human-oriented changelog, with a nicer format than what bugzilla gives you, but of course you could do that automatically making some script to pull the bug fixed from bugzilla. Then you could edit that output manually if needed, preserving the flexibility of the current approach. -- Leandro Lucarella (AKA luca) http://llucax.com.ar/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------- GPG Key: 5F5A8D05 (F8CD F9A7 BF00 5431 4145 104C 949E BFB6 5F5A 8D05) ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Y Gloria Carrá, Gloria Estephan, Gloria Gaynor y Gloria Trevi. -- Peperino Pómoro
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Jordi Sayol <g.sayol yahoo.es> writes:
Al 03/08/12 14:29, En/na Jacob Carlborg ha escrit:
 On 2012-08-02 22:46, Marco Leise wrote:
 
 A new Gentoo ebuild is submitted for review as well. Thanks for the posix.mak
changes and zlib update, I could delete quite a bit of my patch. By the way, it
would be great if the bash completion script was also available in the .zip
distribution.

Is there a bash completion script, where?

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/blob/master/linux/dmd-completion It's based on "d-completion.sh" at https://github.com/Lutger/d_utils Regards, -- Jordi Sayol
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent deadalnix <deadalnix gmail.com> writes:
Le 02/08/2012 21:18, Walter Bright a crit :
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Champagne !
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "kraybourne" <stdin kraybourne.com> writes:
Awesome!
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Jordi Sayol <g.sayol yahoo.es> writes:
Al 03/08/12 21:22, En/na Jacob Carlborg ha escrit:
 On 2012-08-03 14:47, Jordi Sayol wrote:
 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/blob/master/linux/dmd-completion

 It's based on "d-completion.sh" at https://github.com/Lutger/d_utils

How about that. It should absolutely be bundled with the .zip.

dmd deb and rpm packages include it, but this script do not works out of the box. bash-completion package must be installed, and the script should be placed in a specific folder. -- Jordi Sayol
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Marco Leise <Marco.Leise gmx.de> writes:
Am Fri, 03 Aug 2012 22:27:27 +0200
schrieb Jordi Sayol <g.sayol yahoo.es>:

 Al 03/08/12 21:22, En/na Jacob Carlborg ha escrit:
 On 2012-08-03 14:47, Jordi Sayol wrote:
 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/blob/master/linux/dmd-completion

 It's based on "d-completion.sh" at https://github.com/Lutger/d_utils

How about that. It should absolutely be bundled with the .zip.

dmd deb and rpm packages include it, but this script do not works out of the box. bash-completion package must be installed, and the script should be placed in a specific folder.

Yeah, and the Windows executables don't work out of the box on Linux either; Wine has to be installed. :-] Aside from that the "specific folder" likely depends on the used OS. (Gentoo uses /usr/share/bash-completion/ and symlinks in /etc/bash_completion.d/) But I think it is like "rdmd" and should be in the .zip file as "dmd.bashcomp" or similar, maybe in some sort of "extras" folder with a README, that explains what it is and where to put it. For the package I maintain I kept downloading the .zip and the .dep, just to integrate the bash completion file. It is good to know where I find the latest version from now on! -- Marco
Aug 03 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-08-02 21:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Executable permission are missing for ddemangle, dman and shell. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 04 2012
next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/4/2012 7:23 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 Executable permission are missing for ddemangle, dman and shell.

Which platform?
Aug 05 2012
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-08-05 10:14, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 8/4/2012 7:23 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 Executable permission are missing for ddemangle, dman and shell.

Which platform?

Never mind. It was DVM that didn't add executable permission. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Aug 05 2012
prev sibling parent Jordi Sayol <g.sayol yahoo.es> writes:
Al 05/08/12 10:14, En/na Walter Bright ha escrit:
 On 8/4/2012 7:23 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 Executable permission are missing for ddemangle, dman and shell.

Which platform?

dmd1: freebsd/bin32/shell the rest appear to be correct. -- Jordi Sayol
Aug 05 2012
prev sibling parent "Nicholas Londey" <londey gmail.com> writes:
The link for the OSX installer on the download page seems to be
broken. Just checking you are aware.

On Thursday, 2 August 2012 at 19:19:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 Another big pile of bug fixes. More contributors than ever!

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.075.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 https://github.com/downloads/D-Programming-Language/dmd/dmd.2.060.zip

Aug 08 2012