www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - dmd 1.067 and 2.052 release

reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's brand new.)


http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip
Feb 18 2011
next sibling parent "Lars T. Kyllingstad" <public kyllingen.NOSPAMnet> writes:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:18:55 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's
 brand new.)
 
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

64-bit compiler, new date/time module AND a bunch of bug fixes -- is it christmas already? :) Fantastic work, guys! -Lars
Feb 18 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Bernard Helyer <b.helyer gmail.com> writes:
64 bit Linux support, std.date is gone, alternative linker...

...so what are you guys doing for the end of the world?
Feb 18 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Russel Winder <russel russel.org.uk> writes:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 02:18 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's bran=

Damn, now I have to go and fix the SCons D tool (which currently forces 32-bit on any platform) instead of just being able to grumble about lack of 64-bit support! Great stuff. Thanks.
=20
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip
=20
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

--=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n= et 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel russel.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder
Feb 18 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Gour <gour atmarama.net> writes:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:25:39 +0000
Russel Winder <russel russel.org.uk> wrote:

 Damn, now I have to go and fix the SCons D tool (which currently
 forces 32-bit on any platform) instead of just being able to grumble
 about lack of 64-bit support!

What about waf/cmake? Are they ready for 64bit D? Sincerely, Gour --=20 =E2=80=9CIn the material world, conceptions of good and bad are all mental speculations=E2=80=A6=E2=80=9D (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu) http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: CDBF17CA
Feb 18 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Bernard Helyer <b.helyer gmail.com> writes:
Had to roll back to 2.051, hit this:

http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2962

Bug with SDC. If you're _really_ short of test cases, you can mine 
through SDC's 12000 odd lines of code. *g*

https://github.com/bhelyer/SDC
Feb 18 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply bearophile <bearophileHUGS lycos.com> writes:
Walter:

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

2.052 32-bit version seems to work. Online I don't see the info about the new xorshift: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/phobos/std_random.html And I suggest to add to that std_random page a note that explains when and why use xorshift instead of the other rnd generators. Bye, bearophile
Feb 18 2011
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 2/18/11 6:10 AM, bearophile wrote:
 Walter:

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

2.052 32-bit version seems to work. Online I don't see the info about the new xorshift: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/phobos/std_random.html And I suggest to add to that std_random page a note that explains when and why use xorshift instead of the other rnd generators. Bye, bearophile

Also there are a bunch of bugs I fixed but didn't have the time to put in the changelog. Will "hot patch" the changelog when I get a chance. Andrei
Feb 18 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Russel Winder <russel russel.org.uk> writes:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 12:30 +0100, Gour wrote:
 On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:25:39 +0000
 Russel Winder <russel russel.org.uk> wrote:
=20
 Damn, now I have to go and fix the SCons D tool (which currently
 forces 32-bit on any platform) instead of just being able to grumble
 about lack of 64-bit support!

What about waf/cmake? Are they ready for 64bit D?

I have not used Waf for a D project, just for C++ and LaTeX ones, so I am not sure the state of play there. Someone, definitely not me (*), will have to contact Thomas Nagy to ask who to contact to get D tool development. I try and avoid using CMake, so have no idea what the state of play there is. (*) Thomas has banned me from the Waf Google group so I am not able to monitor or contribute to the Waf eco-system. Which is irritating as I really quite like Waf. --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n= et 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel russel.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder
Feb 18 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Gour <gour atmarama.net> writes:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:15:48 +0000
Russel Winder <russel russel.org.uk> wrote:

 I have not used Waf for a D project, just for C++ and LaTeX ones, so I
 am not sure the state of play there. =20

Do you use SCons for D projects?
 Someone, definitely not me (*), will have to contact Thomas Nagy to
 ask who to contact to get D tool development.

Being busy with other things I put my waf-list subscription into web-only mode.
 I try and avoid using CMake, so have no idea what the state of play
 there is.

OK.
 (*) Thomas has banned me from the Waf Google group so I am not able to
 monitor or contribute to the Waf eco-system.  Which is irritating as I
 really quite like Waf.

Really? What happened? I've noticed, when suggesting some improvements to Waf , via IRC, that he tend to be (sometimes) a little bit non-flexible, but banning... :-( Sincerely, Gour --=20 =E2=80=9CIn the material world, conceptions of good and bad are all mental speculations=E2=80=A6=E2=80=9D (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu) http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: CDBF17CA
Feb 18 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Russel Winder <russel russel.org.uk> writes:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 14:27 +0100, Gour wrote:
 On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:15:48 +0000
 Russel Winder <russel russel.org.uk> wrote:
=20
 I have not used Waf for a D project, just for C++ and LaTeX ones, so I
 am not sure the state of play there. =20

Do you use SCons for D projects?

Yes and no. My "projects" that have D code are not a collection of source code that gets built into artefacts and possibly installed -- the ideal situation for Waf -- they are collections of programs each of which is compiled and run independently -- a hard problem for Waf, but a sweet spot for SCons.
 Someone, definitely not me (*), will have to contact Thomas Nagy to
 ask who to contact to get D tool development.

Being busy with other things I put my waf-list subscription into web-only mode. =20
 I try and avoid using CMake, so have no idea what the state of play
 there is.

OK. =20
 (*) Thomas has banned me from the Waf Google group so I am not able to
 monitor or contribute to the Waf eco-system.  Which is irritating as I
 really quite like Waf.

Really? =20 What happened?

I think Thomas took exception to me doing a compare and contrast of SCons and Waf and then contributing to the SCons project as well as the Waf project. I surmise that he thinks I am SCons advocate trying to destroy Waf. However as he won't communicate with me via any channel I have tried, I don't actually know why he has banned me. But being banned from a Google group completely excludes you from any access. I had been getting email from the group though, but when I emailed Thomas about something, he cut that off as well. Basically it seems he wants to exclude me from any form of interaction in the Waf community. I keep thinking of "why cut off your finger to spite your nose".
 I've noticed, when suggesting some improvements to Waf , via IRC, that
 he tend to be (sometimes) a little bit non-flexible, but
 banning... :-(

I've given up worrying about it. All the clients I have moved to using Waf just don't bother to contribute back the things they develop for their Waf use as a form of existential protest. Anyway this is really rather off-topic for this list! --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n= et 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel russel.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder
Feb 18 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jesse Phillips <jessekphillips+D gmail.com> writes:
Documentation isn't updated to include std.datetime and core.time.

Walter Bright Wrote:

 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's brand
new.)
 
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

Feb 18 2011
parent Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On Friday, February 18, 2011 11:23:17 Jesse Phillips wrote:
 Documentation isn't updated to include std.datetime and core.time.

The documentation in the zip file looks updated, but what's on www.digitalmars.com definitely hasn't been updated. Other modules, such as std.string, std.array, and std.file which have had definite API changes are the same as 2.051 on the website. www.d-programming-language.org has up-to-date documentation, but it's currently built off of the git version, not the most recent release, so while it may be correct now, it's going to drift - unless Andrei changes what he's doing with it and makes it the last release. But I think that he's still experimenting with the site, so it's still in flux and not really intended to be the place to go to look up info on D yet, I believe. - Jonathan M Davis
Feb 18 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-02-18 11:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's
 brand new.)


 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

It's amazing how each new release fixes more and more bugs. Keep up the good work. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Feb 18 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Don <nospam nospam.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's 
 brand new.)
 
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

Eleven man-months to implement a 64-bit backend is pretty impressive, I reckon. Contratulations, Walter! BTW despite the emphasis on D2, this release has one of the highest number of D1 bugfixes, ever.
Feb 18 2011
parent reply dsimcha <dsimcha yahoo.com> writes:
== Quote from Don (nospam nospam.com)'s article
 Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's
 brand new.)


 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

reckon. Contratulations, Walter! BTW despite the emphasis on D2, this release has one of the highest number of D1 bugfixes, ever.

Since when was it even 11? I thought the first 64 commits weren't until June of last year.
Feb 18 2011
parent reply phobophile <mask crusader.com> writes:
dsimcha Wrote:

 == Quote from Don (nospam nospam.com)'s article
 Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's
 brand new.)


 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

reckon. Contratulations, Walter! BTW despite the emphasis on D2, this release has one of the highest number of D1 bugfixes, ever.

Since when was it even 11? I thought the first 64 commits weren't until June of last year.

The guy has been promising 64 bits since over a year ago. WTF is wrong with you? Not that impressive anymore.
Feb 22 2011
parent Don <nospam nospam.com> writes:
phobophile wrote:
 dsimcha Wrote:
 
 == Quote from Don (nospam nospam.com)'s article
 Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's
 brand new.)


 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

reckon. Contratulations, Walter! BTW despite the emphasis on D2, this release has one of the highest number of D1 bugfixes, ever.

last year.

The guy has been promising 64 bits since over a year ago. WTF is wrong with you? Not that impressive anymore.

The first commit was on 21 June 2010. (All that first commit was, was defining the 64 bit register set -- it was really the very beginning of implementation). So it's 8 months today.
Feb 22 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Graham St Jack <Graham.StJack internode.on.net> writes:
Fantastic news! Well done once again to the whole team.

Now that the 64-bit bugbear is in the bag (along with a big pile of 
bugs), what is next? Is there a list somewhere detailing the planned 
language/toolchain changes that will make it into D2? Are we converging 
on a stable release of the language anytime soon?

In particular, are there any plans to re-examine the tail-const issue in 
light of the compiler patch proposed by Michel Fortin in his post: 
"const(Object)ref is here!" back in December?

Some other issues I assume are still in flux (and can remember) are:
* Tweaks to usability of const/immutable/shared.
* Tweaks to usability of nothrow, pure, etc.
* Rollout of const, nothrow, pure, etc thoughout phobos.
* Fate of the delete keyword.
* Fate of the scope keyword used in object declaration and function 
parameters.
* Meaning of in keyword for function parameters. Is it just const, and 
if so, why not just use const?

I don't have (much) of a personal agenda here - I just want the rough 
edges smoothed off and a stable language.


-- 

Graham St Jack
Feb 20 2011
next sibling parent Daniel Gibson <metalcaedes gmail.com> writes:
Am 21.02.2011 01:51, schrieb Graham St Jack:
 Fantastic news! Well done once again to the whole team.

 Now that the 64-bit bugbear is in the bag (along with a big pile of
 bugs), what is next? Is there a list somewhere detailing the planned
 language/toolchain changes that will make it into D2? Are we converging
 on a stable release of the language anytime soon?

 In particular, are there any plans to re-examine the tail-const issue in
 light of the compiler patch proposed by Michel Fortin in his post:
 "const(Object)ref is here!" back in December?

 Some other issues I assume are still in flux (and can remember) are:
 * Tweaks to usability of const/immutable/shared.
 * Tweaks to usability of nothrow, pure, etc.
 * Rollout of const, nothrow, pure, etc thoughout phobos.
 * Fate of the delete keyword.
 * Fate of the scope keyword used in object declaration and function
 parameters.
 * Meaning of in keyword for function parameters. Is it just const, and
 if so, why not just use const?

 I don't have (much) of a personal agenda here - I just want the rough
 edges smoothed off and a stable language.

If I recall correctly, the next thing to be implemented was support for shared libraries (dmd being able to create create position-independent code ("PIC")). Cheers, - Daniel
Feb 20 2011
prev sibling parent reply Michel Fortin <michel.fortin michelf.com> writes:
On 2011-02-20 20:21:20 -0500, Graham St Jack 
<Graham.StJack internode.on.net> said:

 In particular, are there any plans to re-examine the tail-const issue 
 in light of the compiler patch proposed by Michel Fortin in his post: 
 "const(Object)ref is here!" back in December?

Note that there's now a pull request for that: <https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3> And if someone wants to test it, just download and compile the const-object-ref branch of my dmd fork: <https://github.com/michelf/dmd/tree/const-object-ref> I'm currently waiting for feedback from Walter about this (and possibly others who dare to test it before it's in the mainline) before putting more work on it. -- Michel Fortin michel.fortin michelf.com http://michelf.com/
Feb 20 2011
parent Graham St Jack <Graham.StJack internode.on.net> writes:
On 21/02/11 16:14, Michel Fortin wrote:
 On 2011-02-20 20:21:20 -0500, Graham St Jack 
 <Graham.StJack internode.on.net> said:

 In particular, are there any plans to re-examine the tail-const issue 
 in light of the compiler patch proposed by Michel Fortin in his post: 
 "const(Object)ref is here!" back in December?

Note that there's now a pull request for that: <https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3> And if someone wants to test it, just download and compile the const-object-ref branch of my dmd fork: <https://github.com/michelf/dmd/tree/const-object-ref> I'm currently waiting for feedback from Walter about this (and possibly others who dare to test it before it's in the mainline) before putting more work on it.

your branch and trying it out, but my use cases aren't all that stressful. -- Graham St Jack
Feb 21 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Stephan <spam extrawurst.org> writes:
On 18.02.2011 11:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's
 brand new.)


 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

Nice release in theorie but since i did not get the time to test the beta it seems some regressions made it into the release that rendered my codebase unbuildable... The problem is that i cannot reduce it properly. (win32, dmd 2.052) 1) Without changing anything suddenly i get linker errors. I am building an executable linking in a static lib that contains some methods using std.random.uniform. When i now try to build the executable the linker complains about std.random.uniform not being found. What the heck ? The whole rest of phobos is there and this is missing ?? 2) This one is really weird. After removing all the std.random.uniform crap from above it compiles and links but crashes right in the beginning befor even entering my main method. This just happens in debug builds. Funny thing is that this is not due to some unittest of mine. And correct me if i am wrong but phobos is shipped without unittests either, right ? Any help is welcome. Stephan
Feb 21 2011
next sibling parent reply Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.olsh gmail.com> writes:
On 21.02.2011 11:53, Stephan wrote:
 On 18.02.2011 11:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's
 brand new.)


 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

Nice release in theorie but since i did not get the time to test the beta it seems some regressions made it into the release that rendered my codebase unbuildable... The problem is that i cannot reduce it properly. (win32, dmd 2.052) 1) Without changing anything suddenly i get linker errors. I am building an executable linking in a static lib that contains some methods using std.random.uniform. When i now try to build the executable the linker complains about std.random.uniform not being found. What the heck ? The whole rest of phobos is there and this is missing ??

Having hit similar things earlier, I'll tell you my recipe. I usually rebuild *everything* step by step starting with and including all 3rd party D libraries with new dmd. And making sure nothing from old version sliped on the path. Yes, that's tiresome, especially when you haven't touch those libraries for quite a long time (assuming they are sort of stable).
 2) This one is really weird. After removing all the std.random.uniform 
 crap from above it compiles and links but crashes right in the 
 beginning befor even entering my main method. This just happens in 
 debug builds. Funny thing is that this is not due to some unittest of 
 mine. And correct me if i am wrong but phobos is shipped without 
 unittests either, right ?

 Any help is welcome.
 Stephan

-- Dmitry Olshansky
Feb 21 2011
parent Stephan <spam extrawurst.org> writes:
On 21.02.2011 12:34, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
 On 21.02.2011 11:53, Stephan wrote:
 On 18.02.2011 11:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's
 brand new.)


 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

Nice release in theorie but since i did not get the time to test the beta it seems some regressions made it into the release that rendered my codebase unbuildable... The problem is that i cannot reduce it properly. (win32, dmd 2.052) 1) Without changing anything suddenly i get linker errors. I am building an executable linking in a static lib that contains some methods using std.random.uniform. When i now try to build the executable the linker complains about std.random.uniform not being found. What the heck ? The whole rest of phobos is there and this is missing ??

Having hit similar things earlier, I'll tell you my recipe. I usually rebuild *everything* step by step starting with and including all 3rd party D libraries with new dmd. And making sure nothing from old version sliped on the path. Yes, that's tiresome, especially when you haven't touch those libraries for quite a long time (assuming they are sort of stable).

I doubt that. That was the first thing i tried coming from a professional C++ work flow ;)
 2) This one is really weird. After removing all the std.random.uniform
 crap from above it compiles and links but crashes right in the
 beginning befor even entering my main method. This just happens in
 debug builds. Funny thing is that this is not due to some unittest of
 mine. And correct me if i am wrong but phobos is shipped without
 unittests either, right ?

 Any help is welcome.
 Stephan


Feb 21 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Extrawurst <spam extrawurst.org> writes:
On 21.02.2011 09:53, Stephan wrote:
 On 18.02.2011 11:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's
 brand new.)


 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

Nice release in theorie but since i did not get the time to test the beta it seems some regressions made it into the release that rendered my codebase unbuildable... The problem is that i cannot reduce it properly. (win32, dmd 2.052) 1) Without changing anything suddenly i get linker errors. I am building an executable linking in a static lib that contains some methods using std.random.uniform. When i now try to build the executable the linker complains about std.random.uniform not being found. What the heck ? The whole rest of phobos is there and this is missing ??

Turns out the root of all evil are the version (ddoc) blocks in phobos. what a great idea to change method SIGNATURES using them. as soon as one uses those methods and tries to build ddocs out of the own code (using -D) methods get referenced that are not actually in the phobos lib. great idea since the signatures differ ! manifests in this bug btw: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=5642 I wish i had tested the beta before release..
 2) This one is really weird. After removing all the std.random.uniform
 crap from above it compiles and links but crashes right in the beginning
 befor even entering my main method. This just happens in debug builds.
 Funny thing is that this is not due to some unittest of mine. And
 correct me if i am wrong but phobos is shipped without unittests either,
 right ?

I still have no clue what this is about.
 Any help is welcome.
 Stephan

Feb 22 2011
prev sibling parent Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 16:17:39 Extrawurst wrote:
 On 21.02.2011 09:53, Stephan wrote:
 On 18.02.2011 11:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's
 brand new.)
 
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip
 
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

Nice release in theorie but since i did not get the time to test the beta it seems some regressions made it into the release that rendered my codebase unbuildable... The problem is that i cannot reduce it properly. (win32, dmd 2.052) 1) Without changing anything suddenly i get linker errors. I am building an executable linking in a static lib that contains some methods using std.random.uniform. When i now try to build the executable the linker complains about std.random.uniform not being found. What the heck ? The whole rest of phobos is there and this is missing ??

Turns out the root of all evil are the version (ddoc) blocks in phobos. what a great idea to change method SIGNATURES using them. as soon as one uses those methods and tries to build ddocs out of the own code (using -D) methods get referenced that are not actually in the phobos lib. great idea since the signatures differ ! manifests in this bug btw: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=5642 I wish i had tested the beta before release..

You pretty much _have_ to do that in a number of cases. For instance, if a function only exists on Linux or or it only exists on Windows, you have to have a different version block for the documentation. There's no way around that. Now, given that Phobos and druntime are the most likely places to have to worry about that and that many programs don't need to do that sort of thing, Phobos and druntime are going to be changed so that they use a different version identifier for their documentation blocks, so you'll only get the problem if you yourself are forced to have separate documentation blocks. Andrei needs to change the makefiles before the version identifier in the code can be changed, and he didn't do that before the release (we only figured out that we needed it shortly before dmd went into beta, and I believe that Andrei was pretty busy while it was in beta, so he didn't make the change). Regardless, Phobos does it by necessity. Separate blocks for documentation are required in the cases where it uses them. - Jonathan M Davis
Feb 22 2011
prev sibling parent Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeiros+spam com.gmail> writes:
On 18/02/2011 10:18, Walter Bright wrote:
 Now with 64 bit Linux support! (Though expect problems with it, it's
 brand new.)


 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.067.zip

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
 http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.052.zip

Some doc typos: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/statement.html "Error also contains a pointer to the points to the original exception" -- Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
Feb 21 2011