www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - Win64 milestone

reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
D1 now compiles Phobos1 completely, and gets all the way to main() without 
crashing, and shuts down without crashing.

(Why D1 first? Because it's much simpler to port than D2's druntime/phobos.)
Sep 08 2012
next sibling parent Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
Congrats!

On 9/9/12, Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> wrote:
 D1 now compiles Phobos1 completely, and gets all the way to main() without
 crashing, and shuts down without crashing.

 (Why D1 first? Because it's much simpler to port than D2's
 druntime/phobos.)

Sep 08 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-09-09 02:35, Walter Bright wrote:
 D1 now compiles Phobos1 completely, and gets all the way to main()
 without crashing, and shuts down without crashing.

 (Why D1 first? Because it's much simpler to port than D2's
 druntime/phobos.)

Wow, that's amazing :) -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Nicholas Londey" <londey gmail.com> writes:
Nice work. Am very much looking forward to Win64 support in D2. :)
Sep 09 2012
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 9/9/2012 4:40 AM, Nicholas Londey wrote:
 Nice work. Am very much looking forward to Win64 support in D2. :)

So am I!
Sep 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Gary Willoughby <dev kalekold.net> writes:
On 09/09/2012 1:35 am, Walter Bright wrote:
 D1 now compiles Phobos1 completely, and gets all the way to main()
 without crashing, and shuts down without crashing.

 (Why D1 first? Because it's much simpler to port than D2's
 druntime/phobos.)

Awesome!
Sep 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "F i L" <witte2008 gmail.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 D1 now compiles Phobos1 completely, and gets all the way to 
 main() without crashing, and shuts down without crashing.

Nice!
Sep 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Maxim Fomin" <maxim maxim-fomin.ru> writes:
On Sunday, 9 September 2012 at 00:35:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 D1 now compiles Phobos1 completely, and gets all the way to 
 main() without crashing, and shuts down without crashing.

 (Why D1 first? Because it's much simpler to port than D2's 
 druntime/phobos.)

Very good news. Will it compile D2 as well by 2.061?
Sep 09 2012
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 9/9/2012 9:51 AM, Maxim Fomin wrote:
 On Sunday, 9 September 2012 at 00:35:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 D1 now compiles Phobos1 completely, and gets all the way to main() without
 crashing, and shuts down without crashing.

 (Why D1 first? Because it's much simpler to port than D2's druntime/phobos.)

Very good news. Will it compile D2 as well by 2.061?

My goal for 2.061 is at least alpha quality D2 Win64 support.
Sep 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:35:12 -0700
Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> wrote:

 D1 now compiles Phobos1 completely, and gets all the way to main()
 without crashing, and shuts down without crashing.
 
 (Why D1 first? Because it's much simpler to port than D2's
 druntime/phobos.)

Sorry if this was answered in a previous thread, but how does it work with linking and object file formats?
Sep 09 2012
next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 9/9/2012 1:20 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 Sorry if this was answered in a previous thread, but how does it work
 with linking and object file formats?

Dmd Win64 uses MS-Coff and Microsoft's linker and VC's runtime libraries.
Sep 09 2012
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 9/9/2012 1:56 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 Any particular version requirements on MSVC? Or too early to tell?

Beats me. I just bought VC and am making it work with that.
Sep 09 2012
next sibling parent reply Benjamin Thaut <code benjamin-thaut.de> writes:
Am 09.09.2012 23:37, schrieb Walter Bright:
 On 9/9/2012 1:56 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 Any particular version requirements on MSVC? Or too early to tell?

Beats me. I just bought VC and am making it work with that.

Are we going to get propper Dll support? I mean importing data symbols and a dll compatible c-runtime. Kind Regards Benjamin Thaut
Sep 09 2012
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 9/9/2012 10:07 PM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
 Am 09.09.2012 23:37, schrieb Walter Bright:
 On 9/9/2012 1:56 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 Any particular version requirements on MSVC? Or too early to tell?

Beats me. I just bought VC and am making it work with that.

Are we going to get propper Dll support? I mean importing data symbols and a dll compatible c-runtime.

It'll probably work like Win32 DLLs.
Sep 10 2012
parent reply Benjamin Thaut <code benjamin-thaut.de> writes:
Am 10.09.2012 09:07, schrieb Walter Bright:
 On 9/9/2012 10:07 PM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
 Am 09.09.2012 23:37, schrieb Walter Bright:
 On 9/9/2012 1:56 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 Any particular version requirements on MSVC? Or too early to tell?

Beats me. I just bought VC and am making it work with that.

Are we going to get propper Dll support? I mean importing data symbols and a dll compatible c-runtime.

It'll probably work like Win32 DLLs.

Hm, a major showstopper for the current DLL support ist, that dmd does not generate code to correctly import data symbols. Kind Regards Benjamin Thaut -- Kind Regards Benjamin Thaut
Sep 10 2012
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 9/10/2012 12:56 AM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
 Hm, a major showstopper for the current DLL support ist, that dmd does not
 generate code to correctly import data symbols.

What is the bugzilla entry for that?
Sep 10 2012
parent Benjamin Thaut <code benjamin-thaut.de> writes:
Am 10.09.2012 10:35, schrieb Walter Bright:
 On 9/10/2012 12:56 AM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
 Hm, a major showstopper for the current DLL support ist, that dmd does
 not
 generate code to correctly import data symbols.

What is the bugzilla entry for that?

Its a pretty old ticket, Rainer Schulze implemented library code that patches the data symbol tables manually to get phobos to work as a DLL but the patch is quite old: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=4071 Look at the dll_patchImportRelocations function in the druntime patch Usually the compiler should generate code to get the correct import address for each data symbol if I understood it correctly. Also there are a lot more issues with dlls, you can't export certain symbols that are needed, for example the module info internal symbols. Rainer fixed this by adding a -exportall switch to dmd. And of course there are the runtime issues with the TLS storage and Module (De)Initialization. -- Kind Regards Benjamin Thaut
Sep 10 2012
prev sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-09-09 23:37, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 9/9/2012 1:56 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 Any particular version requirements on MSVC? Or too early to tell?

Beats me. I just bought VC and am making it work with that.

Since you just bought it, and the latest version seems to be 2012, I would guess on that one. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 09 2012
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 9/9/2012 11:29 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2012-09-09 23:37, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 9/9/2012 1:56 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 Any particular version requirements on MSVC? Or too early to tell?

Beats me. I just bought VC and am making it work with that.

Since you just bought it, and the latest version seems to be 2012, I would guess on that one.

What I have is VS 2010 Professional.
Sep 10 2012
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-09-10 23:11, Walter Bright wrote:

 What I have is VS 2010 Professional.

Oh, you see, guess I was wrong. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 10 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Adam Wilson" <flyboynw gmail.com> writes:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 23:29:53 -0700, Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> wrote:

 On 2012-09-09 23:37, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 9/9/2012 1:56 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 Any particular version requirements on MSVC? Or too early to tell?

Beats me. I just bought VC and am making it work with that.

Since you just bought it, and the latest version seems to be 2012, I would guess on that one.

2012 is only on sale as of Sept 4th. However, I don't see why he would have needed to buy it. You can get the full 2012 compiler for free here: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9810160 If you need DirectX download the Windows SDK here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/hardware/hh852363 -- Adam Wilson IRC: LightBender Project Coordinator The Horizon Project http://www.thehorizonproject.org/
Sep 10 2012
prev sibling parent "Adam Wilson" <flyboynw gmail.com> writes:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:11:36 -0700, Walter Bright  
<newshound2 digitalmars.com> wrote:

 On 9/9/2012 11:29 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2012-09-09 23:37, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 9/9/2012 1:56 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 Any particular version requirements on MSVC? Or too early to tell?

Beats me. I just bought VC and am making it work with that.

Since you just bought it, and the latest version seems to be 2012, I would guess on that one.

What I have is VS 2010 Professional.

If you kept your MSDN license up to date you should have 2012 Pro now too. -- Adam Wilson IRC: LightBender Project Coordinator The Horizon Project http://www.thehorizonproject.org/
Sep 10 2012
prev sibling parent Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 13:35:19 -0700
Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> wrote:

 On 9/9/2012 1:20 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 Sorry if this was answered in a previous thread, but how does it
 work with linking and object file formats?

Dmd Win64 uses MS-Coff and Microsoft's linker and VC's runtime libraries.

Not to disparage optlink (I haven't really had the problems some people have had, at least not in a long time), but: Awesome :) Any particular version requirements on MSVC? Or too early to tell?
Sep 09 2012