www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - [OT] LLVM 3.9 released - you can try the release already with LDC!

reply Kai Nacke <kai redstar.de> writes:
Hi all!

LLVM 3.9 has been released! See the release notes here: 
http://www.llvm.org/releases/3.9.0/docs/ReleaseNotes.html
Downloads: http://www.llvm.org/releases/download.html#3.9.0

Also note that LDC is mentioned in the release notes as the only 
external project who is already supporting LLVM 3.9: 
http://www.llvm.org/releases/3.9.0/docs/ReleaseNotes.html#ldc-the-llvm-based-d-compiler
There are still surfacing some problems with LLVM 3.9, but you 
can try for yourself: Just recompile LDC using master or 
ltsmaster branch from GitHub to use this new LLVM release.

This is the 9th time that LDC and D are mentioned in the LLVM 
release notes!

Regards,
Kai
Sep 04 2016
next sibling parent reply Emre Temelkuran <etemelkuran gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 4 September 2016 at 17:18:10 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
 Hi all!

 LLVM 3.9 has been released! See the release notes here: 
 http://www.llvm.org/releases/3.9.0/docs/ReleaseNotes.html
 Downloads: http://www.llvm.org/releases/download.html#3.9.0

 Also note that LDC is mentioned in the release notes as the 
 only external project who is already supporting LLVM 3.9: 
 http://www.llvm.org/releases/3.9.0/docs/ReleaseNotes.html#ldc-the-llvm-based-d-compiler
 There are still surfacing some problems with LLVM 3.9, but you 
 can try for yourself: Just recompile LDC using master or 
 ltsmaster branch from GitHub to use this new LLVM release.

 This is the 9th time that LDC and D are mentioned in the LLVM 
 release notes!

 Regards,
 Kai
K-A-I R-U-L-E-Z K-A-I R-U-L-E-Z K-A-I R-U-L-E-Z
Sep 04 2016
parent Kai Nacke <kai redstar.de> writes:
On Monday, 5 September 2016 at 05:07:25 UTC, Emre Temelkuran 
wrote:
 On Sunday, 4 September 2016 at 17:18:10 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
 Hi all!

 LLVM 3.9 has been released! See the release notes here: 
 http://www.llvm.org/releases/3.9.0/docs/ReleaseNotes.html
 Downloads: http://www.llvm.org/releases/download.html#3.9.0

 Also note that LDC is mentioned in the release notes as the 
 only external project who is already supporting LLVM 3.9: 
 http://www.llvm.org/releases/3.9.0/docs/ReleaseNotes.html#ldc-the-llvm-based-d-compiler
 There are still surfacing some problems with LLVM 3.9, but you 
 can try for yourself: Just recompile LDC using master or 
 ltsmaster branch from GitHub to use this new LLVM release.

 This is the 9th time that LDC and D are mentioned in the LLVM 
 release notes!

 Regards,
 Kai
K-A-I R-U-L-E-Z K-A-I R-U-L-E-Z K-A-I R-U-L-E-Z
Thanks! It is the LDC team which which rulez! I am just trying to advocate LDC and D a bit... Kai
Sep 05 2016
prev sibling parent reply eugene <egordeev18 gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 4 September 2016 at 17:18:10 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
 This is the 9th time that LDC and D are mentioned in the LLVM 
 release notes!
lol, how does it help?)))
Sep 06 2016
parent reply Lodovico Giaretta <lodovico giaretart.net> writes:
On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 at 09:21:06 UTC, eugene wrote:
 On Sunday, 4 September 2016 at 17:18:10 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
 This is the 9th time that LDC and D are mentioned in the LLVM 
 release notes!
lol, how does it help?)))
There are lot of projects using LLVM [1]. The fact that LDC if often cited in the release notes means that it's one of the best. This is free advertisement, as the LLVM release notes are read by PL people that may not know D. The fact that LDC is recognized as one of the most important LLVM projects also means that the LLVM folks will try to help the LDC folks when needed. [1] http://llvm.org/ProjectsWithLLVM/
Sep 06 2016
parent reply eugene <egordeev18 gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 at 09:42:11 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta 
wrote:
 There are lot of projects using LLVM [1]. The fact that LDC if 
 often cited in the release notes means that it's one of the 
 best. This is free advertisement, as the LLVM release notes are 
 read by PL people that may not know D. The fact that LDC is 
 recognized as one of the most important LLVM projects also 
 means that the LLVM folks will try to help the LDC folks when 
 needed.

 [1] http://llvm.org/ProjectsWithLLVM/
i dont think counting each time when ldc and d are mentioned in llvm community will help ldc and d to become popular)))
Sep 06 2016
next sibling parent reply =?iso-8859-1?Q?Robert_M._M=FCnch?= <robert.muench saphirion.com> writes:
On 2016-09-06 10:51:16 +0000, eugene said:

 i dont think counting each time when ldc and d are mentioned in llvm 
 community will help ldc and d to become popular)))
And now? -- Robert M. Münch http://www.saphirion.com smarter | better | faster
Sep 07 2016
parent eugene <egordeev18 gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 7 September 2016 at 07:04:15 UTC, Robert M. Münch 
wrote:
 And now?
and now the same i think)))
Sep 07 2016
prev sibling parent reply Kai Nacke <kai redstar.de> writes:
On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 at 10:51:16 UTC, eugene wrote:
 On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 at 09:42:11 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta 
 wrote:
 There are lot of projects using LLVM [1]. The fact that LDC if 
 often cited in the release notes means that it's one of the 
 best. This is free advertisement, as the LLVM release notes 
 are read by PL people that may not know D. The fact that LDC 
 is recognized as one of the most important LLVM projects also 
 means that the LLVM folks will try to help the LDC folks when 
 needed.

 [1] http://llvm.org/ProjectsWithLLVM/
i dont think counting each time when ldc and d are mentioned in llvm community will help ldc and d to become popular)))
News ticker often refer to the LLVM release notes. E.g. the Heise news ticker (http://www.heise.de/) always reports about a new LLVM release. But I never succeded to place a new LDC release into the ticker. It's simply a good way to more people and get some advertising. With every new LDC release I inform LLVM Weekly (http://llvmweekly.org/), too, which is a widely read news letter. From one of these source, news about LDC spread to other sites like phoronix (http://phoronix.com/). Maybe counting of each reference is a bit childish (but fun). The real question is: What do YOU do to advocate D? Regards, Kai
Sep 08 2016
next sibling parent reply eugene <egordeev18 gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 8 September 2016 at 20:46:57 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
 What do YOU do to advocate D?
What i do to advocate D is nothing, as D is not to be advocated but to be useful as a programming language))) My idea is simple: if it is useful then people will use it.)))
Sep 09 2016
parent Rory McGuire via Digitalmars-d-announce writes:
On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 9:31 AM, eugene via Digitalmars-d-announce <
digitalmars-d-announce puremagic.com> wrote:

 On Thursday, 8 September 2016 at 20:46:57 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:

 What do YOU do to advocate D?
What i do to advocate D is nothing, as D is not to be advocated but to be useful as a programming language))) My idea is simple: if it is useful then people will use it.)))
:D if that logic worked there would be no governments. Jokes aside, people do what they know, and are loath to change unless it shows high probability of them being able to survive in their group, or they believe they will be able to survive in another group.
Sep 09 2016
prev sibling parent Rory McGuire via Digitalmars-d-announce writes:
On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Kai Nacke via Digitalmars-d-announce <
digitalmars-d-announce puremagic.com> wrote:

 On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 at 10:51:16 UTC, eugene wrote:

 On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 at 09:42:11 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta wrote:

 There are lot of projects using LLVM [1]. The fact that LDC if often
 cited in the release notes means that it's one of the best. This is free
 advertisement, as the LLVM release notes are read by PL people that may not
 know D. The fact that LDC is recognized as one of the most important LLVM
 projects also means that the LLVM folks will try to help the LDC folks when
 needed.

 [1] http://llvm.org/ProjectsWithLLVM/
i dont think counting each time when ldc and d are mentioned in llvm community will help ldc and d to become popular)))
News ticker often refer to the LLVM release notes. E.g. the Heise news ticker (http://www.heise.de/) always reports about a new LLVM release. But I never succeded to place a new LDC release into the ticker. It's simply a good way to more people and get some advertising. With every new LDC release I inform LLVM Weekly (http://llvmweekly.org/), too, which is a widely read news letter. From one of these source, news about LDC spread to other sites like phoronix (http://phoronix.com/). Maybe counting of each reference is a bit childish (but fun). The real question is:
Its not childish at all, if you could show a chart of visits and downloads vs news announcements its likely there is a correlation. However I think these days most of us that are researching alternatives only do so when necessary, so there is a chance that your work now will only pay off later when someone finds D and wants to check its pedigree.
 What do YOU do to advocate D?

 Regards,
 Kai
Sep 09 2016