www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - Logo for D

reply karabuta <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
How do you see it?

http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png

Many variants are on the way.
Jan 16
next sibling parent reply anonymous <anonymous example.com> writes:
On 16.01.2016 18:55, karabuta wrote:
 How do you see it?

 http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png

 Many variants are on the way.
Do you intend to propose this for the official logo? If so, be aware that the logo is a delicate matter. There have been various proposals to change it from the current one, and all have been rejected. It's Walter himself who is rather strictly against any changes. I have been pushing for this variant: https://gist.github.com/aG0aep6G/0803ec5ae49f6afb0196 You see it's very, very similar to the current one. To the point that you could say it's really the same logo. Yet, it was the one part of the red-top-bar redesign that didn't fly with the powers that be. I haven't given up yet, though. By the way, I'm not sure if this is announcement material. If you're looking for feedback, I think the General group would have been a better fit.
Jan 16
parent reply karabuta <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 18:15:06 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On 16.01.2016 18:55, karabuta wrote:
 [...]
Do you intend to propose this for the official logo? If so, be aware that the logo is a delicate matter. There have been various proposals to change it from the current one, and all have been rejected. It's Walter himself who is rather strictly against any changes. [...]
Nope. Just playing around. Why did they reject yours by the way?
Jan 16
parent reply anonymous <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 18:56:36 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 Nope. Just playing around. Why did they reject yours by the way?
It's not been rejected outright. More like put on ice. Or maybe I'm just not getting the hints :) Andrei said: "Can we defer any changes to the logo so we don't get sidetracked in this? Just scale the existing logo to fit and defer any changes to it to later." -- http://forum.dlang.org/post/n591ec$aqv$1 digitalmars.com
Jan 16
parent reply Karabuta <Karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 20:13:07 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 It's not been rejected outright. More like put on ice. Or maybe 
 I'm just not getting the hints :)

 Andrei said: "Can we defer any changes to the logo so we don't 
 get sidetracked in this? Just scale the existing logo to fit 
 and defer any changes to it to later."
 -- http://forum.dlang.org/post/n591ec$aqv$1 digitalmars.com
Ohh! A great design is better seen by a designer. "Iron with steal, steel with gold, gold with diamond". Always room for improvement.
Jan 17
parent anonymous <anonymous example.com> writes:
On 17.01.2016 18:55, Karabuta wrote:
 Ohh! A great design is better seen by a designer. "Iron with steal,
 steel with gold, gold with diamond". Always room for improvement.
I don't understand.
Jan 17
prev sibling next sibling parent Dylan Allbee <dylan linux.com> writes:
On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 17:55:13 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 How do you see it?

 http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png

 Many variants are on the way.
In all honesty I like the current one better. The binary background feels gimmicky.
Jan 16
prev sibling next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2016-01-16 18:55, karabuta wrote:
 How do you see it?

 http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png

 Many variants are on the way.
I think any new logo should have a base form, with only two colors, black and white. This allows for further variations without loosing the identity and recognizability. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jan 16
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Guillaume Piolat <contact gam3sfrommars.fr> writes:
On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 17:55:13 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 How do you see it?

 http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png

 Many variants are on the way.
The current logo is very good and there is value in keeping it. Now if it didn't have this extremely 90s-looking borders, it would be even better.
Jan 18
next sibling parent reply Adrian Matoga <dlang.spam matoga.info> writes:
On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 10:28:48 UTC, Guillaume Piolat 
wrote:
 On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 17:55:13 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 How do you see it?

 http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png

 Many variants are on the way.
The current logo is very good and there is value in keeping it. Now if it didn't have this extremely 90s-looking borders, it would be even better.
+1 Also, change just for the sake of change is just bad strategy.
Jan 18
parent karabuta <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 10:37:42 UTC, Adrian Matoga wrote:
 On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 10:28:48 UTC, Guillaume Piolat 
 wrote:
 On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 17:55:13 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 How do you see it?

 http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png

 Many variants are on the way.
The current logo is very good and there is value in keeping it. Now if it didn't have this extremely 90s-looking borders, it would be even better.
+1 Also, change just for the sake of change is just bad strategy.
Do not make assumption on peoples opinion on "the need for change". The word here is not change as in literal "change", it means improvement :) "Iron with steal, steel with gold, gold with diamond". Always room for improvement.
Jan 18
prev sibling parent reply Brad Anderson <eco gnuk.net> writes:
On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 10:28:48 UTC, Guillaume Piolat 
wrote:
 On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 17:55:13 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 How do you see it?

 http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png

 Many variants are on the way.
The current logo is very good and there is value in keeping it. Now if it didn't have this extremely 90s-looking borders, it would be even better.
I've long wished the D and moons were what was considered the logo[1]. The current one has three borders, a drop shadow, and gradients up the wazoo. Anything tacked on beyond the iconic shape should just be done based on context (like using red or white for the logo, a background color, etc.) http://i.imgur.com/RSBLFDJ.png Doesn't it look so much better: http://i.imgur.com/QlrbCou.png
Jan 18
next sibling parent Bastiaan Veelo <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 22:48:52 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
 Doesn't it look so much better: http://i.imgur.com/QlrbCou.png
It does.
Jan 18
prev sibling next sibling parent reply DaveG <noreply inter.net> writes:
On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 22:48:52 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
 On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 10:28:48 UTC, Guillaume Piolat 
 wrote:
 On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 17:55:13 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 How do you see it?

 http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png

 Many variants are on the way.
The current logo is very good and there is value in keeping it. Now if it didn't have this extremely 90s-looking borders, it would be even better.
I've long wished the D and moons were what was considered the logo[1]. The current one has three borders, a drop shadow, and gradients up the wazoo. Anything tacked on beyond the iconic shape should just be done based on context (like using red or white for the logo, a background color, etc.) http://i.imgur.com/RSBLFDJ.png Doesn't it look so much better: http://i.imgur.com/QlrbCou.png
I completely agree. The most recognisable symbols I can think of are characters. An "A" is clearly an "A" regardless of color, shading, or its surroundings. I think a logo should be recognisable in silhouette - this tends to keep it simple, portable, and customisable. This could include an official default color to enhance recognition/association. The default would just be there when there is not a strong reason to use something else, but if you want to incorporate the logo into some other artwork (slides, t-shirts, etc.) you have much greater flexibility. The official logo should just be the D with the moons, not the entire box. The default color seems to have become that red color so the default logo would either be a red D (with moons) or, using negative space, a white D surrounded by red (as shown in the proposed header). There may be a time the shiny stylized box version fits the design, but the new site is certainly the place. The box feels like other design elements that crept into a logo and got stuck there.
Jan 18
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2016-01-19 06:48, DaveG wrote:

 I completely agree. The most recognisable symbols I can think of are
 characters. An "A" is clearly an "A" regardless of color, shading, or
 its surroundings. I think a logo should be recognisable in silhouette -
 this tends to keep it simple, portable, and customisable. This could
 include an official default color to enhance recognition/association.
 The default would just be there when there is not a strong reason to use
 something else, but if you want to incorporate the logo into some other
 artwork (slides, t-shirts, etc.) you have much greater flexibility.

 The official logo should just be the D with the moons, not the entire
 box. The default color seems to have become that red color so the
 default logo would either be a red D (with moons) or, using negative
 space, a white D surrounded by red (as shown in the proposed header).
 There may be a time the shiny stylized box version fits the design, but
 the new site is certainly the place. The box feels like other design
 elements that crept into a logo and got stuck there.
I completely agree. I could even go so far to say that the default should be black and white. It gives more freedom to do customizations and different versions. I have several Apple products and the logo doesn't have the same color on any of them. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jan 18
prev sibling next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2016-01-18 23:48, Brad Anderson wrote:

 http://i.imgur.com/RSBLFDJ.png

 Doesn't it look so much better: http://i.imgur.com/QlrbCou.png
+1. Simple and elegant. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jan 18
prev sibling next sibling parent Zoadian <no no.no> writes:
On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 22:48:52 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
 Doesn't it look so much better: http://i.imgur.com/QlrbCou.png
+1
Jan 19
prev sibling parent reply karabuta <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 22:48:52 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
 On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 10:28:48 UTC, Guillaume Piolat 
 wrote:
 On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 17:55:13 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 I've long wished the D and moons were what was considered the 
 logo[1]. The current one has three borders, a drop shadow, and 
 gradients up the wazoo. Anything tacked on beyond the iconic 
 shape should just be done based on context (like using red or 
 white for the logo, a background color, etc.)

 http://i.imgur.com/RSBLFDJ.png

 Doesn't it look so much better: http://i.imgur.com/QlrbCou.png
Waw!! I never new the thing at the top was a moon when I was doing my version :) Is that a moon on the "D" and Mars below the D? :) I now get it. I agree it should be simple. You cannot embroid the depth and shadow in the current logo.
Jan 20
next sibling parent reply Simen Kjaeraas <simen.kjaras gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 at 14:09:53 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 22:48:52 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
 http://i.imgur.com/RSBLFDJ.png

 Doesn't it look so much better: http://i.imgur.com/QlrbCou.png
Waw!! I never new the thing at the top was a moon when I was doing my version :) Is that a moon on the "D" and Mars below the D? :) I now get it.
Actually, the D is Mars. The other shapes are Phobos and Deimos, Mars' two moons. And of course two important D libraries. -- Simen
Jan 20
parent karabuta <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 at 15:43:16 UTC, Simen Kjaeraas 
wrote:
 On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 at 14:09:53 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 On Monday, 18 January 2016 at 22:48:52 UTC, Brad Anderson 
 wrote:
 http://i.imgur.com/RSBLFDJ.png

 Doesn't it look so much better: http://i.imgur.com/QlrbCou.png
Waw!! I never new the thing at the top was a moon when I was doing my version :) Is that a moon on the "D" and Mars below the D? :) I now get it.
Actually, the D is Mars. The other shapes are Phobos and Deimos, Mars' two moons. And of course two important D libraries. -- Simen
Haha! So that the story :)
Jan 21
prev sibling parent reply Brad Anderson <eco gnuk.net> writes:
On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 at 14:09:53 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 Waw!! I never new the thing at the top was a moon when I was 
 doing my version :) Is that a moon on the "D" and Mars below 
 the D? :) I now get it.

 I agree it should be simple. You cannot embroid the depth and 
 shadow in the current logo.
If I remember correctly the D is Mars and the two circles are Phobos and Deimos.
Jan 20
parent Brad Anderson <eco gnuk.net> writes:
On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 at 18:39:14 UTC, Brad Anderson 
wrote:
 On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 at 14:09:53 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 Waw!! I never new the thing at the top was a moon when I was 
 doing my version :) Is that a moon on the "D" and Mars below 
 the D? :) I now get it.

 I agree it should be simple. You cannot embroid the depth and 
 shadow in the current logo.
If I remember correctly the D is Mars and the two circles are Phobos and Deimos.
Oh, someone already replied with this. Oops.
Jan 20
prev sibling parent reply Marc =?UTF-8?B?U2Now7x0eg==?= <schuetzm gmx.net> writes:
On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 17:55:13 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 How do you see it?

 http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png

 Many variants are on the way.
This URL redirects me to that Google page: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416 No, I'm not going to enable cookies.
Jan 18
parent Chris Wright <dhasenan gmail.com> writes:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 11:01:08 +0000, Marc Sch├╝tz wrote:

 On Saturday, 16 January 2016 at 17:55:13 UTC, karabuta wrote:
 How do you see it?

 http://amazingws.0fees.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dlang2.png

 Many variants are on the way.
This URL redirects me to that Google page: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416 No, I'm not going to enable cookies.
I didn't see a logo either; I just saw a white background and large text telling me to enable javascript. Now I'm getting the impression it would take a solid ten minutes futzing about with RequestPolicy and NoScript to see the logo. This is why I just self-host images.
Jan 18