www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - Hiring D programmers (with cryptography and blockchain knowledge are

reply Vitor Rozsas <vcatao bol.com.br> writes:
* First of all, does Dlang.org have it's own website for hiring D 
programmers or offering D programming services? If not, it should!

Hello!
I need a project, and I want it done with D (please note that it 
will be open-sourced, but I'll pay for the first functioning 
version).
It is supposed to be useful for users of the project AND for 
learners of D (so lots of comments in the source code are 
actually encouraged!).

It's a social media. More specifically, an incensurable social 
media; all it's posts will be stored in a blockchain, and this 
will be copied and distributed through the world. I had the idea 
after seeing that many political posts were being removed from 
Facebook and Twitter. They are controlling people's opinions and 
I don't like it. People should be free to say whatever they want, 
this is freedom of speech.

What has to be done by now should be the "blockchain" server of 
this social media.

The server should be somewhat easy, afterall... it should receive 
posts that are signed by the user, and store the post (with 
signature) if the signature corresponds to post's message and 
public key of the user.
Posts should have an id (so they can be sent upon request of that 
single post) and should be stored very orderly and organized 
according to poster (so they can be sent all at a time upon 
request of all posts posted by that user).
The server should send posts along with the posts' signatures so 
the client can verify them as well.

When the client sends a request to create an account, it should 
create the key-pair (either RSA 4096 or EC 512) and send the 
public key to the servers.

The user should be able to send or edit their data at anytime 
(names, nickname, email, phone, other social media, profile 
picture upto 2 MB, etc.).

Only the user should be able to delete his/her posts through a 
signed message to all servers.


So... basically, it's a Bitcoin, but instead of transactions, the 
blockchain should store posts and profiles. :) And it should have 
some additional features (the typical things of social media - 
profile picture, some optional information about the user, etc.).
And obviously, it is supposed to be written in D, instead of C++ 
like the Bitcoin.
I also think that this blockchain shouldn't be downloaded by the 
client like the Bitcoin does. Only the servers need it. Clients 
will download only the posts that it needs (and requests).

I think this will be a great project for teaching the D language; 
it has everything: internet conexion (sockets), cryptography, 
"databases" (it's not SQL, or Mongo, but it's a database 
anyway...).
And in the future, it will have a website (for teaching vibe.d) 
and a graphical client (for teaching dlangui - at least, I plan 
to use dlangui).
Jul 11
next sibling parent reply Vitor Rozsas <vcatao bol.com.br> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:40:16 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 * First of all, does Dlang.org have it's own website for hiring 
 D programmers or offering D programming services? If not, it 
 should!

 [...]
If you have any price proposal, please tell me. * I will not participate directly in the project. I still didn't learn D enough to aventurate in a big project like this one...
Jul 11
parent reply Vitor Rozsas <vcatao bol.com.br> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:55:45 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:40:16 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 * First of all, does Dlang.org have it's own website for 
 hiring D programmers or offering D programming services? If 
 not, it should!

 [...]
If you have any price proposal, please tell me. * I will not participate directly in the project. I still didn't learn D enough to aventurate in a big project like this one...
People... It just came to mind... it's a very bad idea to make an incensurable social media. It would be a safe heaven for pedophiles, drug traffickers, human traffickers, hitmen and criminals alike. I will create another topic in the forum, but for another project (way easier to be done, by the way - with vibe.d, no blockchain, no big cryptographic use...). It will be a centralized social media (like any other social media - a normal website, with normal apps... and SOME moderation/control). Again: *Some* control. And this control has to be limited by all means. And I may know how... I will post the link to the new project details as a reply here. Please, wait. *I know that a few of you might be saying that I might being blackmailed or even bribed to stop the original project, but no. I really think a 100% uncontrollable social media could be disastrous and dangerous. Some moderation is necessary, even if it is just to stop criminals like the mentioned ones. Sorry if I disappointed you. But still, it will be done completely in D with vibe.d (app MAY BE in D too, if we manage to do them in D - I'm talking about Android; iOS in no way has support to it, officially or not. But I plan to have an app for them). And everything will be opensourced, first functioning version will be paid (same scheme as before).
Jul 12
parent reply Vitor Rozsas <vcatao bol.com.br> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 19:37:01 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:55:45 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:40:16 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 [...]
If you have any price proposal, please tell me. * I will not participate directly in the project. I still didn't learn D enough to aventurate in a big project like this one...
People... It just came to mind... it's a very bad idea to make an incensurable social media. It would be a safe heaven for pedophiles, drug traffickers, human traffickers, hitmen and criminals alike. I will create another topic in the forum, but for another project (way easier to be done, by the way - with vibe.d, no blockchain, no big cryptographic use...). It will be a centralized social media (like any other social media - a normal website, with normal apps... and SOME moderation/control). Again: *Some* control. And this control has to be limited by all means. And I may know how... I will post the link to the new project details as a reply here. Please, wait. *I know that a few of you might be saying that I might being blackmailed or even bribed to stop the original project, but no. I really think a 100% uncontrollable social media could be disastrous and dangerous. Some moderation is necessary, even if it is just to stop criminals like the mentioned ones. Sorry if I disappointed you. But still, it will be done completely in D with vibe.d (app MAY BE in D too, if we manage to do them in D - I'm talking about Android; iOS in no way has support to it, officially or not. But I plan to have an app for them). And everything will be opensourced, first functioning version will be paid (same scheme as before).
People... I seriously don't know what to do... Continue with the decentralized, but very likely to have pedophilic content and users version, or go to a centralized, written in D and open-sourced version? This Gab and this Dreamwidth seem to be proprietary aren't they? I didn't a link for their sources... I want it to be opensource. And written in D. <- Those are very important...
Jul 12
parent reply Vitor Rozsas <vcatao bol.com.br> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 20:04:58 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 19:37:01 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 [...]
People... I seriously don't know what to do... Continue with the decentralized, but very likely to have pedophilic content and users version, or go to a centralized, written in D and open-sourced version? This Gab and this Dreamwidth seem to be proprietary aren't they? I didn't a link for their sources... I want it to be opensource. And written in D. <- Those are very important...
Ah, sorry. I just found one of the sources. :P
Jul 12
parent reply Vitor Rozsas <vcatao bol.com.br> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 20:06:02 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 20:04:58 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 19:37:01 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 [...]
People... I seriously don't know what to do... Continue with the decentralized, but very likely to have pedophilic content and users version, or go to a centralized, written in D and open-sourced version? This Gab and this Dreamwidth seem to be proprietary aren't they? I didn't a link for their sources... I want it to be opensource. And written in D. <- Those are very important...
Ah, sorry. I just found one of the sources. :P
Dreamwidth seems to be Pearl. Again... I need D. I want this language to grow more and more... And the fastest way is to make it famous, known (by creating interesting projects in D). :) So... suggestions... Centralized? Decentralized? I think the centralized wouldn't fit in any country. It would certainly contain pedophile posts... and any sane country would shut down the servers immediately... So... DEcentralized?
Jul 12
parent reply wigy <wigy_opensource_developer yahoo.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 20:11:06 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 So... suggestions... Centralized? Decentralized?

 I think the centralized wouldn't fit in any country. It would 
 certainly contain pedophile posts... and any sane country would 
 shut down the servers immediately...

 So... DEcentralized?
Hi! I do not think the debate you have with yourself is decentralized vs centralized. You are thinking about moderated vs unmoderated. One is a technical structure, the other is a social one. We got used to have moderated channels in media and unmoderated channels in person. Now the problem we are facing is that we use these social media platforms for replacing "in person" communications with friend and family. And the owners of these platforms are still treating it as "media" that they should moderate. But this is not so black-and-white still. When i am talking to my mother-in-law who has different political biases than me, I moderate *myself* not to bring up topics that would just divide us, because I love her enough to tolerate her opinions. What happens is that we have many social circles in which we have different topics and ethical norms. This is in our nature and that is fine. Football fans ventilate their emotions at the game, but they would not use the same language in their workplace. So what I see is that a social media platform should be decentralized to avoid influence from its owner. It should be divided into many communities. And each community should be able to downvote content that is not tolerated in those circles. And downvoted content should be also available by others, it should just take more actions to peek into that and convince yourself that it was indeed something inapt for that community. In the digital world, everything seems to be black and white. But social behaviors are more subtle than that. It is easy to create a total dictatorial system like facebook, and it is also easy to create a total anarchist system like Silk Road. And our goal is to create a system that is similar to in-real-life communication, which is neither completely free, nor completely controlled. You cannot build that system on top of a centralized architecture where a government can just ask for all data including a order to keep that secret. People never trusted their inner thoughts or family conversation onto the government. And they should not.
Jul 12
next sibling parent Joakim <dlang joakim.fea.st> writes:
On Thursday, 13 July 2017 at 05:18:40 UTC, wigy wrote:
 On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 20:11:06 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 [...]
Hi! I do not think the debate you have with yourself is decentralized vs centralized. You are thinking about moderated vs unmoderated. One is a technical structure, the other is a social one. [...]
Great explanation, perfectly done. A decentralized medium like this will one day put facebook, twitter, Uber, etc. out of business.
Jul 13
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Vitor Rozsas <vcatao bol.com.br> writes:
On Thursday, 13 July 2017 at 05:18:40 UTC, wigy wrote:
 On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 20:11:06 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 [...]
Hi! I do not think the debate you have with yourself is decentralized vs centralized. You are thinking about moderated vs unmoderated. One is a technical structure, the other is a social one. [...]
Hmmm... But how would a criminal post be deleted or removed? Even if decentralized, govs could forbid the use of it (specially having a server of this social media), considering that it's database could contain child pornography (undeletable child pornography - really bad). But it doesn't matter, I have other projects to invest my money on D. I will post the links soon.
Jul 13
parent reply rikki cattermole <rikki cattermole.co.nz> writes:
On 14/07/2017 1:41 AM, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 Hmmm... But how would a criminal post be deleted or removed?
 Even if decentralized, govs could forbid the use of it (specially having 
 a server of this social media), considering that it's database could 
 contain child pornography (undeletable child pornography - really bad).
 
 But it doesn't matter, I have other projects to invest my money on D.
 
 I will post the links soon.
Anyway its just silly to go for removal of servers. The overhead is far too great. Our compression algo's can't back it up. You'll be talking terabytes just to store a few 'websites' soon enough. Nah, anyway decentralized != anonymous. Even in Tor there are servers. What we need isn't a decentralized http replacement. What we need is a decentralized dns with some form of filters available.
Jul 13
parent reply Vitor Rozsas <vcatao bol.com.br> writes:
On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 04:47:24 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
 On 14/07/2017 1:41 AM, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 Hmmm... But how would a criminal post be deleted or removed?
 Even if decentralized, govs could forbid the use of it 
 (specially having a server of this social media), considering 
 that it's database could contain child pornography 
 (undeletable child pornography - really bad).
 
 But it doesn't matter, I have other projects to invest my 
 money on D.
 
 I will post the links soon.
Anyway its just silly to go for removal of servers. The overhead is far too great. Our compression algo's can't back it up. You'll be talking terabytes just to store a few 'websites' soon enough. Nah, anyway decentralized != anonymous. Even in Tor there are servers. What we need isn't a decentralized http replacement. What we need is a decentralized dns with some form of filters available.
What about a decentralized cryptocurrency (like bitcoin) but instead of the blockchain having transactions recorded on it, it could have something lighter... like a list of coins IDs ("cents", actually) and their owners, like: 1 = Vitor 2 = Vitor 3 = Vitor 4 = Leonard [...] (cents 1, 2, 3 belong to Vitor and cent 4 belong to Leonard, and so on...). A "map" (C++) or associative array (D) with the ID of the cent (key) and owner (value) or opposite, if necessary. Is this even possible? Please consider that I don't know a lot about cryptography. And I have no idea of whether this is feasible with D or with any language at all, so if I'm speaking nonsensic things, just tell me. But I think it would be lighter than store all transactions from the very first one. I just don't know if this is doable; cryptocurrencies have a lot of security measures to avoid transferring money that doesn't exist, money that isn't yours, and so on, to confirm the transaction... Wouldn't it be easier? All the cents should have a first owner though... one that would sell to resellers, or just give away to random people. That way, the blockchain would have a fixed size, forever. Lighter than all that expensive mining stuff (that in my country is impossible - lack of decent machines, pricey electric energy), and the worst part: downloading 100+ GigaBytes because blockchain stores transactions, this database gets bigger and bigger... List of cents is limited; it's fixed. But instead of 18 Million that bitcoin uses, I was thinking of trillions (so the value of the currency is more aligned to fiat currencies that we already know and are used to). So... tell me. Is this possible? *Is this safe*? Is anybody going to be stolen if blockchain stores a map of cent id + owner instead of a bunch of transactions? I know that it would be lighter for CPUs of users and servers as well, and to the disk, that's for sure. Waiting for replies.
Jul 14
parent reply Vitor Rozsas <vcatao bol.com.br> writes:
On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 14:10:29 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 04:47:24 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
 [...]
What about a decentralized cryptocurrency (like bitcoin) but instead of the blockchain having transactions recorded on it, it could have something lighter... like a list of coins IDs ("cents", actually) and their owners, like: [...]
A transaction would simply change the owner of the cents and not create any message in the database. Change the owner by changing the values (owner) of the keys (cents) being transferred.
Jul 14
parent reply rikki cattermole <rikki cattermole.co.nz> writes:
On 14/07/2017 3:17 PM, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 14:10:29 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 04:47:24 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
 [...]
What about a decentralized cryptocurrency (like bitcoin) but instead of the blockchain having transactions recorded on it, it could have something lighter... like a list of coins IDs ("cents", actually) and their owners, like: [...]
A transaction would simply change the owner of the cents and not create any message in the database. Change the owner by changing the values (owner) of the keys (cents) being transferred.
Blockchains work by making the entire history available to be verified and computed against. This is entirely its selling point. So no, a block chain can never be fixed sized. After all, how do you know that X owns the coin and not just some random node trying to corrupt and steal every bodies coins?
Jul 14
parent reply Vitor Rozsas <vcatao bol.com.br> writes:
On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 14:23:49 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
 On 14/07/2017 3:17 PM, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 14:10:29 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 [...]
A transaction would simply change the owner of the cents and not create any message in the database. Change the owner by changing the values (owner) of the keys (cents) being transferred.
Blockchains work by making the entire history available to be verified and computed against. This is entirely its selling point. So no, a block chain can never be fixed sized. After all, how do you know that X owns the coin and not just some random node trying to corrupt and steal every bodies coins?
But it's so expensive... Soon, bitcoin will have a whole terabyte to be downloaded... So, no deal? That's sad.
Jul 14
parent reply Vitor Rozsas <vcatao bol.com.br> writes:
On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 14:37:56 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 14:23:49 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
 On 14/07/2017 3:17 PM, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 14:10:29 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 [...]
A transaction would simply change the owner of the cents and not create any message in the database. Change the owner by changing the values (owner) of the keys (cents) being transferred.
Blockchains work by making the entire history available to be verified and computed against. This is entirely its selling point. So no, a block chain can never be fixed sized. After all, how do you know that X owns the coin and not just some random node trying to corrupt and steal every bodies coins?
But it's so expensive... Soon, bitcoin will have a whole terabyte to be downloaded... So, no deal? That's sad.
I was thinking of doing something big... An operating system? With everything that a user could desire of? Big projects are necessary, for D to get more... known (and therefore, more used). A phone OS (ARM)? I heard that DMD will accept ARM very soon. While that doesn't happen, there are other compilers for ARM... So a phone OS could be interesting. A phone OS written in D. There are kernels done in D already. But I don't think they are as complete as Linux's for example.
Jul 14
parent reply rikki cattermole <rikki cattermole.co.nz> writes:
On 14/07/2017 4:01 PM, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 14:37:56 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 14:23:49 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
 On 14/07/2017 3:17 PM, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 14:10:29 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 [...]
A transaction would simply change the owner of the cents and not create any message in the database. Change the owner by changing the values (owner) of the keys (cents) being transferred.
Blockchains work by making the entire history available to be verified and computed against. This is entirely its selling point. So no, a block chain can never be fixed sized. After all, how do you know that X owns the coin and not just some random node trying to corrupt and steal every bodies coins?
But it's so expensive... Soon, bitcoin will have a whole terabyte to be downloaded... So, no deal? That's sad.
I was thinking of doing something big... An operating system? With everything that a user could desire of? Big projects are necessary, for D to get more... known (and therefore, more used). A phone OS (ARM)? I heard that DMD will accept ARM very soon. While that doesn't happen, there are other compilers for ARM... So a phone OS could be interesting. A phone OS written in D. There are kernels done in D already. But I don't think they are as complete as Linux's for example.
Scale your dreams back a bit. If you want to put money into anything here is my list: 1. Get shared libraries 100% working, with clear articles on how to use it, on every platform. 2. std.experimental.color, it seems Manu is stalled 3. std.experimental.image, ok ok, this one is mine but its about time we get the damn interfaces standardized in Phobos! 4. GUI widget rendering library, GUI widget != GUI toolkit (think just rendering a single control), basically handles rendering + accessibility. These are not big projects, but they would go a long way to getting any thing really "cool". Keep in mind, money talks. Getting the right people available to work on a project full time for a few months would really speed a lot of this stuff up. There is also other stuff like a bidi library, font rasterizer and other more useful infrastructure projects that actually has a chance of being completed. Depending on how far you want to go, my list alone is a few years worth of work for a 3-5 people team.
Jul 14
parent reply Martin Tschierschke <mt smartdolphin.de> writes:
On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 15:21:09 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
[...]
 Scale your dreams back a bit.

 If you want to put money into anything here is my list:

 1. Get shared libraries 100% working, with clear articles on 
 how to use it, on every platform.
 2. std.experimental.color, it seems Manu is stalled
 3. std.experimental.image, ok ok, this one is mine but its 
 about time we get the damn interfaces standardized in Phobos!
 4. GUI widget rendering library, GUI widget != GUI toolkit 
 (think just rendering a single control), basically handles 
 rendering + accessibility.

 These are not big projects, but they would go a long way to 
 getting any thing really "cool".
 Keep in mind, money talks. Getting the right people available 
 to work on a project full time for a few months would really 
 speed a lot of this stuff up.

 There is also other stuff like a bidi library, font rasterizer 
 and other more useful infrastructure projects that actually has 
 a chance of being completed.

 Depending on how far you want to go, my list alone is a few 
 years worth of work for a 3-5 people team.
What about the following idea: We extend DUB (the website) with a direct link for a paypal donation for every package. If a certain minimum amount is in, the D Foundation organizes the funding of the ongoing development? Regards mt.
Jul 14
parent rikki cattermole <rikki cattermole.co.nz> writes:
On 14/07/2017 7:10 PM, Martin Tschierschke wrote:
 On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 15:21:09 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
 [...]
 Scale your dreams back a bit.

 If you want to put money into anything here is my list:

 1. Get shared libraries 100% working, with clear articles on how to 
 use it, on every platform.
 2. std.experimental.color, it seems Manu is stalled
 3. std.experimental.image, ok ok, this one is mine but its about time 
 we get the damn interfaces standardized in Phobos!
 4. GUI widget rendering library, GUI widget != GUI toolkit (think just 
 rendering a single control), basically handles rendering + accessibility.

 These are not big projects, but they would go a long way to getting 
 any thing really "cool".
 Keep in mind, money talks. Getting the right people available to work 
 on a project full time for a few months would really speed a lot of 
 this stuff up.

 There is also other stuff like a bidi library, font rasterizer and 
 other more useful infrastructure projects that actually has a chance 
 of being completed.

 Depending on how far you want to go, my list alone is a few years 
 worth of work for a 3-5 people team.
What about the following idea: We extend DUB (the website) with a direct link for a paypal donation for every package. If a certain minimum amount is in, the D Foundation organizes the funding of the ongoing development? Regards mt.
That is a service, which D Foundation shouldn't be offering. Anyway, they don't have enough money to do that. Somebody needs to come in and foot the bill, otherwise this type of infrastructure code is all on peoples own time and desire.
Jul 14
prev sibling parent aberba <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 13 July 2017 at 05:18:40 UTC, wigy wrote:
 On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 20:11:06 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 So... suggestions... Centralized? Decentralized?

 I think the centralized wouldn't fit in any country. It would 
 certainly contain pedophile posts... and any sane country 
 would shut down the servers immediately...

 So... DEcentralized?
Hi! I do not think the debate you have with yourself is decentralized vs centralized. You are thinking about moderated vs unmoderated. One is a technical structure, the other is a social one. We got used to have moderated channels in media and unmoderated channels in person. Now the problem we are facing is that we use these social media platforms for replacing "in person" communications with friend and family. And the owners of these platforms are still treating it as "media" that they should moderate. But this is not so black-and-white still. When i am talking to my mother-in-law who has different political biases than me, I moderate *myself* not to bring up topics that would just divide us, because I love her enough to tolerate her opinions. What happens is that we have many social circles in which we have different topics and ethical norms. This is in our nature and that is fine. Football fans ventilate their emotions at the game, but they would not use the same language in their workplace. So what I see is that a social media platform should be decentralized to avoid influence from its owner. It should be divided into many communities. And each community should be able to downvote content that is not tolerated in those circles. And downvoted content should be also available by others, it should just take more actions to peek into that and convince yourself that it was indeed something inapt for that community. In the digital world, everything seems to be black and white. But social behaviors are more subtle than that. It is easy to create a total dictatorial system like facebook, and it is also easy to create a total anarchist system like Silk Road. And our goal is to create a system that is similar to in-real-life communication, which is neither completely free, nor completely controlled. You cannot build that system on top of a centralized architecture where a government can just ask for all data including a order to keep that secret. People never trusted their inner thoughts or family conversation onto the government. And they should not.
This answer is brilliant...it comes out of understanding...deep thinking Now...personally I don't think this social media platform potential hype will last. Very soon it will get out of hand. It means Facebook, etc. that doesn't offer any quantifiable needed value will die if they don't innovate out of the social media realm. Presure from governments and users needs will facilitate the death of the social media market. But one thing is certain. Security is becoming a problem. Monies are becoming digital. There is a rising need for securing digital value without sacrificing convenience. Our systems today are not designed for that. Sooner or later those patches we are making to our systems temporary will get exhusted. Its either an innovative use of blockchain-like systems or a secure-from-scratch sandboxing system. Blockchain seem interesting for D.
Jul 14
prev sibling next sibling parent 9il <ilyayaroshenko gmail.com> writes:
Hi Vitor, ping me by email: ilyayaroshenko gmail.com --Ilya
Jul 11
prev sibling next sibling parent Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:40:16 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 * First of all, does Dlang.org have it's own website for hiring 
 D programmers or offering D programming services? If not, it 
 should!
There is https://dlang.org/orgs-using-d.html where companies using D can link to their hiring offers. Please feel free to add your company to this page.
Jul 12
prev sibling next sibling parent Kagamin <spam here.lot> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:40:16 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 The server should be somewhat easy, afterall... it should 
 receive posts that are signed by the user, and store the post 
 (with signature) if the signature corresponds to post's message 
 and public key of the user.
From what I know about bitcoin, block computation is somewhat expensive there. How do you plan to reward the miners?
Jul 12
prev sibling next sibling parent =?UTF-8?B?SXN0dsOhbg==?= <jelszonak gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:40:16 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 * First of all, does Dlang.org have it's own website for hiring 
 D programmers or offering D programming services? If not, it 
 should!

 [...]
Hi Vitor, we're also working on something quite similar already. We were thinking in slightly different technical directions, but we're still in the design phase, so nothing (language, storage, etc) are written in stone. Are you interested in joining forces? If so, please ping my email: jelszonak gmail.com best regards, István
Jul 12
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On 7/12/17 12:40 AM, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 * First of all, does Dlang.org have it's own website for hiring D 
 programmers or offering D programming services? If not, it should!
 
 Hello!
 I need a project, and I want it done with D (please note that it will be 
 open-sourced, but I'll pay for the first functioning version).
 It is supposed to be useful for users of the project AND for learners of 
 D (so lots of comments in the source code are actually encouraged!).
 
 It's a social media. More specifically, an incensurable social media; 
 all it's posts will be stored in a blockchain, and this will be copied 
 and distributed through the world. I had the idea after seeing that many 
 political posts were being removed from Facebook and Twitter. They are 
 controlling people's opinions and I don't like it. People should be free 
 to say whatever they want, this is freedom of speech.
Have you heard of https://gab.ai ? They are doing something similar (in terms of providing an uncensored platform). -Steve
Jul 12
parent reply Kagamin <spam here.lot> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 11:11:20 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:
 Have you heard of https://gab.ai ? They are doing something 
 similar (in terms of providing an uncensored platform).
Another one is dreamwidth.org, it started as a reaction to tighter control too and has a permissive content policy.
Jul 12
parent reply =?UTF-8?B?SXN0dsOhbg==?= <jelszonak gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 12:12:29 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
 On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 11:11:20 UTC, Steven 
 Schveighoffer wrote:
 Have you heard of https://gab.ai ? They are doing something 
 similar (in terms of providing an uncensored platform).
Another one is dreamwidth.org, it started as a reaction to tighter control too and has a permissive content policy.
These are still centralized services which any time might decide to change to censorship or forced to shut down, then you lose access to your content the same way. Censorship-resistence can only be achieved by decentralized networks (like DHT, blockchain, etc) which have no classic governance/control and make attacks hard.
Jul 12
parent Kagamin <spam here.lot> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 14:27:41 UTC, István wrote:
 These are still centralized services which any time might 
 decide to change to censorship or forced to shut down, then you 
 lose access to your content the same way.
I saw 4 such cases and it was always easier to setup a replica. And those replacements are already made with replication in mind.
Jul 12
prev sibling next sibling parent Mark Fisher <logicfish gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 04:40:16 UTC, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
 So... basically, it's a Bitcoin, but instead of transactions, 
 the blockchain should store posts and profiles. :) And it 
 should have some additional features (the typical things of 
 social media - profile picture, some optional information about 
 the user, etc.).
 And obviously, it is supposed to be written in D, instead of 
 C++ like the Bitcoin.
 I also think that this blockchain shouldn't be downloaded by 
 the client like the Bitcoin does. Only the servers need it. 
 Clients will download only the posts that it needs (and 
 requests).
why not use the actual bitcoin blockchain? there exists a process called "etching" whereby one may store indelible messages.
Jul 13
prev sibling parent Satoshi <satoshi rikarin.org> writes:
Thanks for the interesting idea. I decided to try something 
similar. (just for fun).

Decentralized Social Network (DecNet):
Is a conjunction of facebook, twitter and reddit.

Clients:
Can create their own profiles (private key, public key, address, 
profile file) and share them through the network. Pull other 
profiles by address. Writing posts, replies, open threads, vote, 
etc.
Content like images, videos, etc. cannot be stored in the profile 
file but should be linked through special tags (like html?).
Every client provide their own profile file.

Servers:
Will provide a list of addresses where profile files can be found 
including an address of the owner.
Will backup profile files.

1. Content cannot be in blockchain because of overbloating the 
network. Every profile has their own `file` with all the content 
in it.
2. `Servers` can setup their exchanging limits. Like profile size 
limit (default 40 MB), time to live (3 to 48 hours from last 
profile pull).

More info will be added to the README later.

https://github.com/SatoshiR/DecNet



 People... It just came to mind... it's a very bad idea to make 
 an incensurable social media. It would be a safe heaven for 
 pedophiles, drug traffickers, human traffickers, > hitmen and 
 criminals alike.
It's similar to working as a programmer for a military. You are just a provider who provides the software.
Aug 14