www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - D syntax checker for Vim's plugin "Syntastic"

reply "Alfredo Di Napoli" <alfredo.dinapoli gmail.com> writes:
Hello there,

this is my first post here whatsoever :)
My name is Alfredo and I'm a 24-year-old just-graduated computer 
science guy from Rome, Italy. I've been fiddling with D lately, 
and I decided to contribute to the language in the only way I 
could (for now): due to the fact that I'm only a D beginner, my 
skills are not sufficient to contribute to project like Phobos, 
so I've written a bare-bone D syntax checker for Vim's plugin 
Syntastic. It's pretty basic but it does its dirty job. I've 
tested from Command Line Vim and it works ok, conversely on 
MacVim there are some bugs, but I suspect it's a thing related 
more to Syntastic than to my plugin.
Without further ado, this is the link of my Github fork of 
Syntastic:

https://github.com/CharlesStain/syntastic

I'm waiting for my modifications to be merged to the main repo, 
but in the meantime, for the impatient, you can clone and play 
with my repo :)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Alfredo Di Napoli
Jun 08 2012
next sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 8 June 2012 16:48, Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli gmail.com> wrote:
 Hello there,

 this is my first post here whatsoever :)
 My name is Alfredo and I'm a 24-year-old just-graduated computer science guy
 from Rome, Italy. I've been fiddling with D lately, and I decided to
 contribute to the language in the only way I could (for now): due to the
 fact that I'm only a D beginner, my skills are not sufficient to contribute
 to project like Phobos, so I've written a bare-bone D syntax checker for
 Vim's plugin Syntastic. It's pretty basic but it does its dirty job. I've
 tested from Command Line Vim and it works ok, conversely on MacVim there are
 some bugs, but I suspect it's a thing related more to Syntastic than to my
 plugin.
 Without further ado, this is the link of my Github fork of Syntastic:

 https://github.com/CharlesStain/syntastic

 I'm waiting for my modifications to be merged to the main repo, but in the
 meantime, for the impatient, you can clone and play with my repo :)

 Hope this helps!

 Best regards,

 Alfredo Di Napoli

This plugin is biased towards dmd. Please fix. ;~) Just kidding, I'll have to check this out later with my vim set-up. -- Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
Jun 08 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Alfredo Di Napoli" <alfredo.dinapoli gmail.com> writes:
 This plugin is biased towards dmd. Please fix.  ;~)

 Just kidding, I'll have to check this out later with my vim 
 set-up.

Hi :) The choice behind that is that dmd seems (to me) the most stable compiler out there, and the one that can works out of the box. Please tell me if I'm wrong :) Using dmd as primary medium for providing syntax checking, the checker (should) work immediately for everyone :) Regards, A.
Jun 08 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 8 June 2012 17:47, Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli gmail.com> wrote:
 This plugin is biased towards dmd. Please fix. =A0;~)

 Just kidding, I'll have to check this out later with my vim set-up.

Hi :) The choice behind that is that dmd seems (to me) the most stable compiler out there, and the one that can works out of the box. Please tell me if I=

 wrong :)

Before I begin the next paragraph I must admit, being lead developer of an alternate D compiler makes me prejudice towards it. So any views described may not necessarily be that of the overall D community. Your wrong. :o) But really, I will have a play about with it tonight. Could be a new tool to add onto me (ever growing) vim set-up I have. --=20 Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) =3D (c & 0x0f) + '0';
Jun 08 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent bioinfornatics <bioinfornatics fedoraproject.org> writes:
Le vendredi 08 juin 2012 =C3=A0 18:47 +0200, Alfredo Di Napoli a =C3=A9crit=
 :
 This plugin is biased towards dmd. Please fix.  ;~)

 Just kidding, I'll have to check this out later with my vim=20
 set-up.

Hi :) The choice behind that is that dmd seems (to me) the most stable=20 compiler out there, and the one that can works out of the box.=20 Please tell me if I'm wrong :) Using dmd as primary medium for providing syntax checking, the=20 checker (should) work immediately for everyone :) =20 Regards, A. =20 =20

or gdc
Jun 08 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Alfredo Di Napoli" <alfredo.dinapoli gmail.com> writes:
 you are wrong ldc and gdc are really stable many linux distro 
 embed ldc
 or gdc

Ok, I have to admit that "stable" was not the best adjective to use. What I wanted to say, actually, is that dmd comes shipped with D (at least here on Mac OS) so for me it seemed to most logical choice. However, since the role of a compiler in the checker is only semantic (check the syntax and show a bunch of errors) it shouldn't be a problem to have the checker coupled with dmd :) I'll wait for your feedbacks! Regards, A.
Jun 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Alfredo Di Napoli" <alfredo.dinapoli gmail.com> writes:
Just an update: my pull request has been merged and now my D 
syntax checker is officially present in the main syntastic repo:

https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic

Enjoy!

Alfredo
Jun 17 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent bioinfornatics <bioinfornatics fedoraproject.org> writes:
Le dimanche 17 juin 2012 =C3=A0 12:43 +0200, Alfredo Di Napoli a =C3=A9crit=
 :
 Just an update: my pull request has been merged and now my D=20
 syntax checker is officially present in the main syntastic repo:
=20
 https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic
=20
 Enjoy!
=20
 Alfredo

does it works now with ldc2 and gdc ?
Jun 17 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Alfredo Di Napoli" <alfredo.dinapoli gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 17 June 2012 at 12:42:57 UTC, bioinfornatics wrote:
 Le dimanche 17 juin 2012 à 12:43 +0200, Alfredo Di Napoli a 
 écrit :
 Just an update: my pull request has been merged and now my D 
 syntax checker is officially present in the main syntastic 
 repo:
 
 https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic
 
 Enjoy!
 
 Alfredo

does it works now with ldc2 and gdc ?

Not yet, but unless you don't have dmd installed, it shouldn't be a problem, because the role of the compiler (dmd or gdc) is only limited to, needless to say, syntax checking. However, you are encouraged to contribute and maybe add the support if you think is crucial for your workflow :) Cheers, Alfredo
Jun 17 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent bioinfornatics <bioinfornatics fedoraproject.org> writes:
Le dimanche 17 juin 2012 =C3=A0 16:09 +0200, Alfredo Di Napoli a =C3=A9crit=
 :
 On Sunday, 17 June 2012 at 12:42:57 UTC, bioinfornatics wrote:
 Le dimanche 17 juin 2012 =C3=A0 12:43 +0200, Alfredo Di Napoli a=20
 =C3=A9crit :
 Just an update: my pull request has been merged and now my D=20
 syntax checker is officially present in the main syntastic=20
 repo:
=20
 https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic
=20
 Enjoy!
=20
 Alfredo

does it works now with ldc2 and gdc ?

Not yet, but unless you don't have dmd installed, it shouldn't be=20 a problem, because the role of the compiler (dmd or gdc) is only=20 limited to, needless to say, syntax checking. However, you are=20 encouraged to contribute and maybe add the support if you think=20 is crucial for your workflow :) =20 Cheers, Alfredo =20 =20

i take a look into d.vim you use onyl two flag: - "-of" at line 84 https://github.com/CharlesStain/syntastic/blob/master/syntax_checkers/d.vim= #L84 - "-c" at line 96=20 https://github.com/CharlesStain/syntastic/blob/master/syntax_checkers/d.vim= #L96 ldc2 use exactly same flag maybe use a var DC (as D compiler) for able to set ldc2 or dmd and replace all dmd call by the var DC
Jun 17 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 17 June 2012 18:33, bioinfornatics <bioinfornatics fedoraproject.org> wr=
ote:
 Le dimanche 17 juin 2012 =E0 16:09 +0200, Alfredo Di Napoli a =E9crit :
 On Sunday, 17 June 2012 at 12:42:57 UTC, bioinfornatics wrote:
 Le dimanche 17 juin 2012 =E0 12:43 +0200, Alfredo Di Napoli a
 =E9crit :
 Just an update: my pull request has been merged and now my D
 syntax checker is officially present in the main syntastic
 repo:

 https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic

 Enjoy!

 Alfredo

does it works now with ldc2 and gdc ?

Not yet, but unless you don't have dmd installed, it shouldn't be a problem, because the role of the compiler (dmd or gdc) is only limited to, needless to say, syntax checking. However, you are encouraged to contribute and maybe add the support if you think is crucial for your workflow :) Cheers, Alfredo

i take a look into d.vim you use onyl two flag: - "-of" at line 84 https://github.com/CharlesStain/syntastic/blob/master/syntax_checkers/d.v=

 - "-c" at line 96
 https://github.com/CharlesStain/syntastic/blob/master/syntax_checkers/d.v=

 ldc2 use exactly same flag
 maybe use a var DC (as D compiler) for able to set ldc2 or dmd and
 replace all dmd call by the var DC

gdmd is able to use -c / -of too (although it adds a llittle bit of overhead ontop of the gdc compiler). Only other thing noting is the error format. gdc's is different to dmd's. --=20 Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) =3D (c & 0x0f) + '0';
Jun 18 2012
prev sibling parent "simendsjo" <simendsjo gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 8 June 2012 at 15:48:35 UTC, Alfredo Di Napoli wrote:
 Hello there,

 this is my first post here whatsoever :)
 My name is Alfredo and I'm a 24-year-old just-graduated 
 computer science guy from Rome, Italy. I've been fiddling with 
 D lately, and I decided to contribute to the language in the 
 only way I could (for now): due to the fact that I'm only a D 
 beginner, my skills are not sufficient to contribute to project 
 like Phobos, so I've written a bare-bone D syntax checker for 
 Vim's plugin Syntastic. It's pretty basic but it does its dirty 
 job. I've tested from Command Line Vim and it works ok, 
 conversely on MacVim there are some bugs, but I suspect it's a 
 thing related more to Syntastic than to my plugin.
 Without further ado, this is the link of my Github fork of 
 Syntastic:

 https://github.com/CharlesStain/syntastic

 I'm waiting for my modifications to be merged to the main repo, 
 but in the meantime, for the impatient, you can clone and play 
 with my repo :)

 Hope this helps!

 Best regards,

 Alfredo Di Napoli

Is anyone using this on windows? I cannot get it to work. I see a window quickly open and close, but no errors are found.
Sep 06 2012