www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - D article in Linux Journal

reply Brad Anderson <brad dsource.org> writes:
Ameer Armaly has written a nice article on D for Linux Journal and it appears
in the March 2007 issue.  I'm not sure if it's public on the site for another
month or two, but subscribers can get a look, if they haven't received their
paper copy.

It's quite a long and comprehensive article, spanning 6 pages.  Ameer does a
great job covering a vast language in the alotted space, though, hitting on
highlights for the Java and scripting language crowd, as well as the hard-core
C/C++ readers.


http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue/155

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9307

Thanks, Ameer

BA
Feb 07 2007
next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Brad Anderson" <brad dsource.org> wrote in message 
news:eqcksl$2quq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Ameer Armaly has written a nice article on D for Linux Journal and it 
 appears
 in the March 2007 issue.  I'm not sure if it's public on the site for 
 another
 month or two, but subscribers can get a look, if they haven't received 
 their
 paper copy.

 It's quite a long and comprehensive article, spanning 6 pages.  Ameer does 
 a
 great job covering a vast language in the alotted space, though, hitting 
 on
 highlights for the Java and scripting language crowd, as well as the 
 hard-core
 C/C++ readers.


 http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue/155

 http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9307

 Thanks, Ameer

 BA

OT: Ameer Armaly is a prof in my CS department! I'll have to talk to him. I'll be giving a(n informal) talk about D in a few weeks, so maybe he'll be able to help out. Unfortunately the article's not yet public for non-subscribers.
Feb 07 2007
parent reply Jarrett Billingsley <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:

 OT: Ameer Armaly is a prof in my CS department!  I'll have to talk to him. 
 I'll be giving a(n informal) talk about D in a few weeks, so maybe he'll be 
 able to help out.

Scratch that. I got Ameer confused with a very similar-sounding prof in my department. Nevermind.
Feb 07 2007
parent reply "Ameer Armaly" <ameer_armaly hotmail.com> writes:
"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:eqctcd$5s8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:

 OT: Ameer Armaly is a prof in my CS department!  I'll have to talk to 
 him.
 I'll be giving a(n informal) talk about D in a few weeks, so maybe he'll 
 be
 able to help out.

Scratch that. I got Ameer confused with a very similar-sounding prof in my department. Nevermind.

I wish though.
Feb 07 2007
next sibling parent Brad Anderson <brad dsource.org> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:43:42 -0500, Ameer Armaly wrote:
 
 "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message 
 news:eqctcd$5s8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:

 OT: Ameer Armaly is a prof in my CS department!  I'll have to talk to 
 him.
 I'll be giving a(n informal) talk about D in a few weeks, so maybe he'll 
 be
 able to help out.

my department. Nevermind.

I wish though.

Compiled and /managed/ language D? What does the "managed" mean here? :)

GC
 
 Disappointing that I can't actually read the article.  What a tease you
 are Brad. 

heh, sorry :) I'd post it, but they would cancel my subscription.
Feb 07 2007
prev sibling parent Max Samukha <samukha voliacable.com> writes:
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:06:26 +0000 (UTC), John Reimer
<terminal.node gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:43:42 -0500, Ameer Armaly wrote:

 "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message 
 news:eqctcd$5s8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:

 OT: Ameer Armaly is a prof in my CS department!  I'll have to talk to 
 him.
 I'll be giving a(n informal) talk about D in a few weeks, so maybe he'll 
 be
 able to help out.

Scratch that. I got Ameer confused with a very similar-sounding prof in my department. Nevermind.

I wish though.

Compiled and /managed/ language D? What does the "managed" mean here? :) Disappointing that I can't actually read the article. What a tease you are Brad. -JJR

'Managed' is a term invented by Microsoft that means 'cool'. I'm sure it can be applied to D. D is managed, i.e. cool. Seriously, I know about the only meaning of 'managed programming language' - a language that is compiled into the intermidiate language that can be executed by the common language runtime aka .NET Framework or Mono
Feb 08 2007
prev sibling next sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:43:42 -0500, Ameer Armaly wrote:

 "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message 
 news:eqctcd$5s8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:

 OT: Ameer Armaly is a prof in my CS department!  I'll have to talk to 
 him.
 I'll be giving a(n informal) talk about D in a few weeks, so maybe he'll 
 be
 able to help out.

Scratch that. I got Ameer confused with a very similar-sounding prof in my department. Nevermind.

I wish though.

Compiled and /managed/ language D? What does the "managed" mean here? :) Disappointing that I can't actually read the article. What a tease you are Brad. -JJR
Feb 07 2007
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:
 Ameer Armaly has written a nice article on D for Linux Journal and it appears
 in the March 2007 issue.  I'm not sure if it's public on the site for another
 month or two, but subscribers can get a look, if they haven't received their
 paper copy.
 
 It's quite a long and comprehensive article, spanning 6 pages.  Ameer does a
 great job covering a vast language in the alotted space, though, hitting on
 highlights for the Java and scripting language crowd, as well as the hard-core
 C/C++ readers.
 
 
 http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue/155
 
 http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9307
 
 Thanks, Ameer
 
 BA

Might have to make the trip to B & N for this one <g>
Feb 07 2007
parent Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> writes:
Dave wrote:
 Brad Anderson wrote:
 Ameer Armaly has written a nice article on D for Linux Journal and it 
 appears
 in the March 2007 issue.  I'm not sure if it's public on the site for 
 another
 month or two, but subscribers can get a look, if they haven't received 
 their
 paper copy.

 It's quite a long and comprehensive article, spanning 6 pages.  Ameer 
 does a
 great job covering a vast language in the alotted space, though, 
 hitting on
 highlights for the Java and scripting language crowd, as well as the 
 hard-core
 C/C++ readers.


 http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue/155

 http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9307

 Thanks, Ameer

 BA

Might have to make the trip to B & N for this one <g>

Ooh, yeh -- If this issue sells like hotcakes it might mean more coverage for D in the future. :-) I don't think they carry Linux Journal at my local Tsutaya, but I'll take a look. --bb
Feb 07 2007
prev sibling parent torhu <fake address.dude> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:
 Ameer Armaly has written a nice article on D for Linux Journal and it appears
 in the March 2007 issue.  I'm not sure if it's public on the site for another
 month or two, but subscribers can get a look, if they haven't received their
 paper copy.
 
 It's quite a long and comprehensive article, spanning 6 pages.  Ameer does a
 great job covering a vast language in the alotted space, though, hitting on
 highlights for the Java and scripting language crowd, as well as the hard-core
 C/C++ readers.
 
 
 http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue/155
 
 http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9307
 
 Thanks, Ameer
 
 BA

This artice is available for free now. I bought the magazine too, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
Apr 05 2007