www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - DVM - D Version Manager 0.4.3

reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
I just released a new version of DVM, 0.4.3. The biggest news for this 
release is that both 32 and 64bit libraries are supported 
simultaneously. Now DVM will just copy the platform specific directory 
without messing with the directory structure.

This release fixes a critical bug that made it not possible to install 
new compilers.

Also building using Dub is supported. I'm going to wait a bit to add to 
code.dlang.org because Dub head is required.

For pre-compiled binaries and changelog (or below) see: 
https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm/releases/tag/v0.4.3

For those not familiar with DVM:

DVM allows you to easily download and install D compilers and manage 
different versions of the compilers.

Changelog:

Version 0.4.3
   New/Changed Features
    * Add support for Dub
    * Since issue 23 has been fixed this means that now both 32 and 
64bit libraries are supported simultaneously

   Bugs Fixed
    * Fix issue "unexpected redirect for method GET"
    * Issue 23: Leave DMD directory structure as-is

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
Sep 02 2014
next sibling parent reply "eles" <eles215 gzk.dot> writes:
On Tuesday, 2 September 2014 at 19:46:32 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
wrote:
 I just released a new version of DVM, 0.4.3. The biggest news 
 for this release is that both 32 and 64bit libraries are 
 supported simultaneously. Now DVM will just copy the platform 
 specific directory without messing with the directory structure.

 This release fixes a critical bug that made it not possible to 
 install new compilers.

 Also building using Dub is supported. I'm going to wait a bit 
 to add to code.dlang.org because Dub head is required.

 For pre-compiled binaries and changelog (or below) see: 
 https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm/releases/tag/v0.4.3

 For those not familiar with DVM:

 DVM allows you to easily download and install D compilers and 
 manage different versions of the compilers.

 Changelog:

 Version 0.4.3
   New/Changed Features
    * Add support for Dub
    * Since issue 23 has been fixed this means that now both 32 
 and 64bit libraries are supported simultaneously

   Bugs Fixed
    * Fix issue "unexpected redirect for method GET"
    * Issue 23: Leave DMD directory structure as-is
Thank you. I see that you provide packages for Debian (albeit they are BIN files). Would it be a huge effort to add DVM to this repository of D?: http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/ That would indeed make install even easier.
Sep 02 2014
next sibling parent "eles" <eles215 gzk.dot> writes:
On Tuesday, 2 September 2014 at 20:05:21 UTC, eles wrote:
 On Tuesday, 2 September 2014 at 19:46:32 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
 wrote:
 That would indeed make install even easier.
And, especially, updates.
Sep 02 2014
prev sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 02/09/14 22:05, eles wrote:

 Thank you. I see that you provide packages for Debian (albeit they are
 BIN files). Would it be a huge effort to add DVM to this repository of D?:
I have no idea. Linux is not my main platform. I only chose Debian because it's a stable/old system with a high chance of being binary compatible with other distributions. Perhaps you would like to contact the maintainer of that repository? -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 02 2014
next sibling parent reply Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce writes:
El 03/09/14 a les 08:10, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce ha escrit:
 I only chose Debian because it's a stable/old system with a high chance of
being binary compatible with other distributions.
On Debian 7.6 64-bit I got this error: ---- $ dvm dvm: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by dvm) ---- "libc6" on Debian 7.6 (stable) is v2.13. On Debian testing: ---- $ dvm install 2.065.0 Fetching: http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.0.zip [========================================>] 50581/49347 KB Installing: dmd-2.065.0 An unknown error occurred: tango.core.Exception.IOException /home/doob/development/d/tango/tango/c re/Exception.d(59): /home/jordi/.dvm/bin/dmd-2.065.0 :: No such file or directory ... ---- After manually created this directory and properly install dmd 2.065.0: ---- $ dvm use 2.065.0 $ dmd bash: dmd: command not found ---- What I'm doing wrong? Regards, -- Jordi Sayol
Sep 04 2014
next sibling parent reply Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
On 9/4/2014 3:50 PM, Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
 On Debian testing:

 ----
 $ dvm install 2.065.0
 Fetching: http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.0.zip
 [========================================>] 50581/49347 KB

 Installing: dmd-2.065.0
 An unknown error occurred:
 tango.core.Exception.IOException /home/doob/development/d/tango/tango/c
re/Exception.d(59): /home/jordi/.dvm/bin/dmd-2.065.0 :: No such file or
directory
 ...
 ----

 After manually created this directory and properly install dmd 2.065.0:

 ----
 $ dvm use 2.065.0
 $ dmd
 bash: dmd: command not found
 ----

 What I'm doing wrong?
dvm install dvm
Sep 04 2014
parent reply Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce writes:
El 04/09/14 a les 22:17, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce ha escrit:
 What I'm doing wrong?
dvm install dvm
On Debian testing (mate desktop) without ~/.dvm dir, dmd still not found: ---- $ dvm install dvm $ dvm install 2.065.0 Fetching: http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.0.zip [========================================>] 50581/49347 KB Installing: dmd-2.065.0 $ dvm use 2.065.0 $ dmd bash: dmd: command not found ---- BTW Is there a reason to mandatory copy dvm to ~/.dvm/bin directory? -- Jordi Sayol
Sep 04 2014
next sibling parent reply Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
On 9/4/2014 4:51 PM, Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
 El 04/09/14 a les 22:17, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce ha escrit:
 What I'm doing wrong?
dvm install dvm
On Debian testing (mate desktop) without ~/.dvm dir, dmd still not found: ---- $ dvm install dvm $ dvm install 2.065.0 Fetching: http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.0.zip [========================================>] 50581/49347 KB Installing: dmd-2.065.0 $ dvm use 2.065.0 $ dmd bash: dmd: command not found ---- BTW Is there a reason to mandatory copy dvm to ~/.dvm/bin directory?
Hmm, may wanna check your .bashrc. Unless it's changed since last time I looked, the Posix versions of dvm work by adding code to .bashrc which set up "dmd" as an alias. Then again, I'm not sure that should matter if you're manually running "dvm use ...". Are you maybe not using bash?
Sep 04 2014
next sibling parent reply Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce writes:
El 05/09/14 a les 00:30, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce ha escrit:
 On 9/4/2014 4:51 PM, Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
 El 04/09/14 a les 22:17, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce ha escrit:
 What I'm doing wrong?
dvm install dvm
On Debian testing (mate desktop) without ~/.dvm dir, dmd still not found: ---- $ dvm install dvm $ dvm install 2.065.0 Fetching: http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.0.zip [========================================>] 50581/49347 KB Installing: dmd-2.065.0 $ dvm use 2.065.0 $ dmd bash: dmd: command not found ---- BTW Is there a reason to mandatory copy dvm to ~/.dvm/bin directory?
Hmm, may wanna check your .bashrc. Unless it's changed since last time I looked, the Posix versions of dvm work by adding code to .bashrc which set up "dmd" as an alias. Then again, I'm not sure that should matter if you're manually running "dvm use ...". Are you maybe not using bash?
GNU bash, version 4.3.24(1)-release (i586-pc-linux-gnu) -- Jordi Sayol
Sep 04 2014
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 05/09/14 01:02, Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:

 GNU bash, version 4.3.24(1)-release (i586-pc-linux-gnu)
You can validate the installation by running: $ type dvm | head -n 1 It should print "dvm is a function". If it doesn't, dvm is not installed correctly. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 04 2014
prev sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 05/09/14 00:30, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

 Then again, I'm not sure that should matter if you're manually running
 "dvm use ...".
Yes it will matter. It's the DVM bash function that makes everything work with the PATH variable. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 04 2014
prev sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 04/09/14 22:51, Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:

 On Debian testing (mate desktop) without ~/.dvm dir, dmd still not found:
 ----
 $ dvm install dvm
 $ dvm install 2.065.0
 Fetching: http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.0.zip
 [========================================>] 50581/49347 KB

 Installing: dmd-2.065.0
 $ dvm use 2.065.0
 $ dmd
 bash: dmd: command not found
 ----

 BTW Is there a reason to mandatory copy dvm to ~/.dvm/bin directory?
Yes. DVM works like this: * When invoking "dvm" on the command line a bash function is actually called * The bash function will forward to the "dvm" executable located in ~/.dvm/bin * When running "dvm use 2.065.0" the executable it will write a shell script setting up the PATH variable to point to path of the install compiler with the specified version. In this case which will be ~/.dvm/compilers/dmd-2.065.0/linux/bin * When the "dvm" executable has finished running the "dvm" function will source the shell script which modifies the PATH variable in the current session This is the only why I found to propagate environment variables from a child process (dvm) to the parent process (the shell) When running "dvm install dvm", dvm will do the following: * Setup the necessary directory structure in "~/.dvm" * Install the shell script containing [1] the "dvm" bash function to ~/.dvm/scripts * Copy itself to ~/.dvm/bin * Add a couple of lines to .bash_profile or .bashrc that sources the "dvm" script: if [ -s ~/.dvm/scripts/dvm ] ; then . ~/.dvm/scripts/dvm fi I wanted the installation process to be as easy as possible, what's why I wrote an installer in the tool. Yes I know, that's not how most tools work like. But it do require some special setup and most tools don't require. [1] https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm/blob/master/resources/dvm.sh -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 04 2014
prev sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 04/09/14 21:50, Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
 El 03/09/14 a les 08:10, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce ha escrit:
 I only chose Debian because it's a stable/old system with a high chance of
being binary compatible with other distributions.
On Debian 7.6 64-bit I got this error: ---- $ dvm dvm: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by dvm) ---- "libc6" on Debian 7.6 (stable) is v2.13.
Hmm, ok. I'm pretty sure I'm using a vanilla Debian 7 for building the 64bit release. I'm not sure the exact minor version.
 On Debian testing:

 ----
 $ dvm install 2.065.0
 Fetching: http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.0.zip
 [========================================>] 50581/49347 KB

 Installing: dmd-2.065.0
 An unknown error occurred:
 tango.core.Exception.IOException /home/doob/development/d/tango/tango/c
re/Exception.d(59): /home/jordi/.dvm/bin/dmd-2.065.0 :: No such file or
directory
 ...
 ----

 After manually created this directory and properly install dmd 2.065.0:

 ----
 $ dvm use 2.065.0
 $ dmd
 bash: dmd: command not found
 ----

 What I'm doing wrong?
You need to install DVM first: "dvm install dvm". -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 04 2014
prev sibling parent reply Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce writes:
Sorry, i forget to mention that on Debian testing, my desktop is Mate
<http://mate-desktop.org/>

Regards,
-- 
Jordi Sayol
Sep 04 2014
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 04/09/14 21:53, Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
 Sorry, i forget to mention that on Debian testing, my desktop is Mate
<http://mate-desktop.org/>
Actually, I'm using Mate as well. Perhaps that's the issue. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 04 2014
parent reply "Marc =?UTF-8?B?U2Now7x0eiI=?= <schuetzm gmx.net> writes:
On Friday, 5 September 2014 at 06:26:30 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 04/09/14 21:53, Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
 Sorry, i forget to mention that on Debian testing, my desktop 
 is Mate <http://mate-desktop.org/>
Actually, I'm using Mate as well. Perhaps that's the issue.
Unlikely. DVM seems to work really the same as RVM (for Ruby). Similar problems with RVM usually come from problems with the shell profile. Mostly it can be solved by starting a new shell or sourcing the .bash_profile script in your current shell (it's only read at startup): . ~/.bash_profile or . ~/.bashrc
Sep 05 2014
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 05/09/14 10:27, "Marc Sch├╝tz" <schuetzm gmx.net>" wrote:
 On Friday, 5 September 2014 at 06:26:30 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 04/09/14 21:53, Jordi Sayol via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
 Sorry, i forget to mention that on Debian testing, my desktop is Mate
 <http://mate-desktop.org/>
Actually, I'm using Mate as well. Perhaps that's the issue.
Unlikely. DVM seems to work really the same as RVM (for Ruby). Similar problems with RVM usually come from problems with the shell profile. Mostly it can be solved by starting a new shell or sourcing the .bash_profile script in your current shell (it's only read at startup): . ~/.bash_profile or . ~/.bashrc
Yes, it works basically the same as RVM, but it's written in D (mostly) instead of shell script. I was more thinking of the issue with wrong version of Glibc, which is unrelated to the shell. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 05 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
On 9/2/2014 3:46 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 I just released a new version of DVM, 0.4.3.
 [...]
 Version 0.4.3
    New/Changed Features
     * Add support for Dub
     * Since issue 23 has been fixed this means that now both 32 and
 64bit libraries are supported simultaneously

    Bugs Fixed
     * Fix issue "unexpected redirect for method GET"
     * Issue 23: Leave DMD directory structure as-is
Sweet!!! Been looking forward to this.
Sep 02 2014
prev sibling parent reply "Chris" <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Tuesday, 2 September 2014 at 19:46:32 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
wrote:
 I just released a new version of DVM, 0.4.3. The biggest news 
 for this release is that both 32 and 64bit libraries are 
 supported simultaneously. Now DVM will just copy the platform 
 specific directory without messing with the directory structure.

 This release fixes a critical bug that made it not possible to 
 install new compilers.

 Also building using Dub is supported. I'm going to wait a bit 
 to add to code.dlang.org because Dub head is required.

 For pre-compiled binaries and changelog (or below) see: 
 https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm/releases/tag/v0.4.3

 For those not familiar with DVM:

 DVM allows you to easily download and install D compilers and 
 manage different versions of the compilers.

 Changelog:

 Version 0.4.3
   New/Changed Features
    * Add support for Dub
    * Since issue 23 has been fixed this means that now both 32 
 and 64bit libraries are supported simultaneously

   Bugs Fixed
    * Fix issue "unexpected redirect for method GET"
    * Issue 23: Leave DMD directory structure as-is
If I install dmd 2.066 with dvm, it won't overwrite or change anything? I'll soon be moving my code from 2.065 to 2.066, but I want to keep 2.065 around for a while to maintain existing code till the transition is complete. And how do I integrate it with dub?
Sep 03 2014
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 03/09/14 11:08, Chris wrote:

 If I install dmd 2.066 with dvm, it won't overwrite or change anything?
No, the whole idea is to have multiple compilers installed simultaneous.
 I'll soon be moving my code from 2.065 to 2.066, but I want to keep
 2.065 around for a while to maintain existing code till the transition
 is complete.
Yes, that's the whole idea.
 And how do I integrate it with dub?
It doesn't have a direct integration with Dub. But that's the other part of the idea. Just run "dvm use <compiler_version>" to set the version you want to use. When Dub runs DMD it will use the one you chose earlier. It works with any tool invoking DMD in the same session as you run "dvm use". This all works on the command line. If you have some form of IDE chose the location where DVM installs the compilers. On Posix this will be ~/.dvm and on Windows this will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\dvm. Then either pick any of the following: * <path_to_dvm>/bin/dmd-<version> - for a specific compiler version * <path_to_dvm>/bin/dvm-current-dc - the compiler you chose last time with "dvm use <version>" * <path_to_dvm>/bin/dvm-default-dc - the default compiler, set with "dvm use <version> -d" -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 03 2014
parent reply "Chris" <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Wednesday, 3 September 2014 at 13:10:28 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
wrote:
 On 03/09/14 11:08, Chris wrote:

 If I install dmd 2.066 with dvm, it won't overwrite or change 
 anything?
No, the whole idea is to have multiple compilers installed simultaneous.
 I'll soon be moving my code from 2.065 to 2.066, but I want to 
 keep
 2.065 around for a while to maintain existing code till the 
 transition
 is complete.
Yes, that's the whole idea.
 And how do I integrate it with dub?
It doesn't have a direct integration with Dub. But that's the other part of the idea. Just run "dvm use <compiler_version>" to set the version you want to use. When Dub runs DMD it will use the one you chose earlier. It works with any tool invoking DMD in the same session as you run "dvm use".
Thanks. I thought so, I just wanted to be 100% sure it really works this way, before doing anything. Hit-and-miss can cause some serious headaches when dealing with different dmd compilers. Thanks also for the great tool. This will make the transition a lot easier.
 This all works on the command line. If you have some form of 
 IDE chose the location where DVM installs the compilers. On 
 Posix this will be ~/.dvm and on Windows this will be 
 C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\dvm. Then either pick any 
 of the following:

 * <path_to_dvm>/bin/dmd-<version> - for a specific compiler 
 version

 * <path_to_dvm>/bin/dvm-current-dc - the compiler you chose 
 last time with "dvm use <version>"

 * <path_to_dvm>/bin/dvm-default-dc - the default compiler, set 
 with "dvm use <version> -d"
Sep 03 2014
parent reply "Chris" <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Wednesday, 3 September 2014 at 13:18:50 UTC, Chris wrote:
 On Wednesday, 3 September 2014 at 13:10:28 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
 wrote:
 On 03/09/14 11:08, Chris wrote:

 If I install dmd 2.066 with dvm, it won't overwrite or change 
 anything?
No, the whole idea is to have multiple compilers installed simultaneous.
 I'll soon be moving my code from 2.065 to 2.066, but I want 
 to keep
 2.065 around for a while to maintain existing code till the 
 transition
 is complete.
Yes, that's the whole idea.
 And how do I integrate it with dub?
It doesn't have a direct integration with Dub. But that's the other part of the idea. Just run "dvm use <compiler_version>" to set the version you want to use. When Dub runs DMD it will use the one you chose earlier. It works with any tool invoking DMD in the same session as you run "dvm use".
Thanks. I thought so, I just wanted to be 100% sure it really works this way, before doing anything. Hit-and-miss can cause some serious headaches when dealing with different dmd compilers. Thanks also for the great tool. This will make the transition a lot easier.
 This all works on the command line. If you have some form of 
 IDE chose the location where DVM installs the compilers. On 
 Posix this will be ~/.dvm and on Windows this will be 
 C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\dvm. Then either pick any 
 of the following:

 * <path_to_dvm>/bin/dmd-<version> - for a specific compiler 
 version

 * <path_to_dvm>/bin/dvm-current-dc - the compiler you chose 
 last time with "dvm use <version>"

 * <path_to_dvm>/bin/dvm-default-dc - the default compiler, set 
 with "dvm use <version> -d"
Methinks DVM doesn't get it right. 2.065.zip is available here: ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.0.zip (cf. http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ebvumaoniuukgjbowxbz forum.dlang.org) But DVM tries to access it via http: Fetching: http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.zip An unknown error occurred: tango.core.Exception.IOException /home/doob/development/d/tango/tango/c re/Exception.d(59): The resource with URL "http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.zip" could not be found.
Sep 03 2014
next sibling parent reply "Sean Kelly" <sean invisibleduck.org> writes:
On Wednesday, 3 September 2014 at 15:55:47 UTC, Chris wrote:
 Methinks DVM doesn't get it right. 2.065.zip is available here:

 ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.0.zip

 (cf. 
 http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ebvumaoniuukgjbowxbz forum.dlang.org)

 But DVM tries to access it via http:

 Fetching: http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.zip
 An unknown error occurred:
 tango.core.Exception.IOException /home/doob/development/d/tango/tango/c
re/Exception.d(59): 
 The resource with URL 
 "http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.zip" could not be found.
The link for 2.065 on http://dlang.org/changelog.html is broken as well. I don't think this particular issue can be blamed on DVM.
Sep 03 2014
parent reply "Chris" <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Wednesday, 3 September 2014 at 19:02:05 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
 On Wednesday, 3 September 2014 at 15:55:47 UTC, Chris wrote:
 Methinks DVM doesn't get it right. 2.065.zip is available here:

 ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.0.zip

 (cf. 
 http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ebvumaoniuukgjbowxbz forum.dlang.org)

 But DVM tries to access it via http:

 Fetching: http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.zip
 An unknown error occurred:
 tango.core.Exception.IOException /home/doob/development/d/tango/tango/c
re/Exception.d(59): 
 The resource with URL 
 "http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.zip" could not be found.
The link for 2.065 on http://dlang.org/changelog.html is broken as well. I don't think this particular issue can be blamed on DVM.
I know, but I thought maybe DVM tries different addresses, if one is not working. Anyway it should be on dlang.org/changelog.html.
Sep 03 2014
parent reply "Sean Kelly" <sean invisibleduck.org> writes:
On Wednesday, 3 September 2014 at 19:34:26 UTC, Chris wrote:
 I know, but I thought maybe DVM tries different addresses, if 
 one is not working. Anyway it should be on 
 dlang.org/changelog.html.
For what it's worth, if you do "dvm install 2.065.0" it will find it. Not sure if DVM should try alternates or not though.
Sep 03 2014
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 03/09/14 21:58, Sean Kelly wrote:

 For what it's worth, if you do "dvm install 2.065.0" it will find
 it.  Not sure if DVM should try alternates or not though.
I've seen this mistake several times, missing the extra zero at the end. Perhaps adding a special case for that. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 03 2014
parent reply "Chris" <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Thursday, 4 September 2014 at 06:06:04 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
wrote:
 On 03/09/14 21:58, Sean Kelly wrote:

 For what it's worth, if you do "dvm install 2.065.0" it will 
 find
 it.  Not sure if DVM should try alternates or not though.
I've seen this mistake several times, missing the extra zero at the end. Perhaps adding a special case for that.
Weird, I did try the zero at the end (as described on the homepage*), yet I got an error. Maybe I typed a comma instead of a "." without realizing it. However, I'm almost sure I didn't type the zero when installing 2.066 and I got the right version. If you've seen this mistake several times, maybe it would be good to point it out under "Usage". And maybe having/trying more than one mirror would be good too, if it makes sense for DVM. * https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm
Sep 04 2014
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2014-09-04 10:40, Chris wrote:

 Weird, I did try the zero at the end (as described on the homepage*),
 yet I got an error. Maybe I typed a comma instead of a "." without
 realizing it. However, I'm almost sure I didn't type the zero when
 installing 2.066 and I got the right version.
DVM just takes the argument you give it, in this case 2.066. Then it prepends "dmd." and appends ".zip" forming something like this: dmd.2.066.zip Then it prepends "ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/" to that filename. If there is a file matching that name in the Digital Mars FTP it will work. As you can see, there is no file named "dmd.2.066.zip", so you must have used "2.066.0".
 If you've seen this mistake several times, maybe it would be good to
 point it out under "Usage". And maybe having/trying more than one mirror
 would be good too, if it makes sense for DVM.
There is no mirror, as far as I know. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 04 2014
parent reply "Chris" <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Thursday, 4 September 2014 at 18:24:10 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
wrote:
 On 2014-09-04 10:40, Chris wrote:

 Weird, I did try the zero at the end (as described on the 
 homepage*),
 yet I got an error. Maybe I typed a comma instead of a "." 
 without
 realizing it. However, I'm almost sure I didn't type the zero 
 when
 installing 2.066 and I got the right version.
DVM just takes the argument you give it, in this case 2.066. Then it prepends "dmd." and appends ".zip" forming something like this: dmd.2.066.zip Then it prepends "ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/" to that filename. If there is a file matching that name in the Digital Mars FTP it will work. As you can see, there is no file named "dmd.2.066.zip", so you must have used "2.066.0".
Chances are I did, yeah. It's hard to remember later what I typed exactly once the shell is closed. Would there be a way to download the latest version by default, if the user types "install 2.066" or just "install [dmd]"? If there isn't, what could be done on the dmd side of things to facilitate this? DVM is a pretty handy tool, but it still has some rough edges. I think it could one day be part of a D Development Framework (DDF). Please keep it up.
 If you've seen this mistake several times, maybe it would be 
 good to
 point it out under "Usage". And maybe having/trying more than 
 one mirror
 would be good too, if it makes sense for DVM.
There is no mirror, as far as I know.
Sep 05 2014
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 05/09/14 11:32, Chris wrote:

 Chances are I did, yeah. It's hard to remember later what I typed
 exactly once the shell is closed. Would there be a way to download the
 latest version by default, if the user types "install 2.066" or just
 "install [dmd]"?
Just run "dvm install -l" and it will install the latest version.
 If there isn't, what could be done on the dmd side of
 things to facilitate this?
Be consistent with the versioning scheme. But since Andrew has been responsible for the releases and the release process is mostly automated I think this is solved now (hopefully).
 DVM is a pretty handy tool, but it still has
 some rough edges. I think it could one day be part of a D Development
 Framework (DDF). Please keep it up.
Thanks. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 05 2014
prev sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 03/09/14 17:55, Chris wrote:

 Methinks DVM doesn't get it right. 2.065.zip is available here:

 ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.0.zip

 (cf. http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ebvumaoniuukgjbowxbz forum.dlang.org)

 But DVM tries to access it via http:

 Fetching: http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.zip
 An unknown error occurred:
 tango.core.Exception.IOException /home/doob/development/d/tango/tango/core/Exception.d(59):
 The resource with URL "http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.065.zip" could
 not be found.
DVM will try to fetch the exact version you specify. The version, in this particular case, is 2.065.0. Note the extra zero at the end. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Sep 03 2014