www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - DConf 2017 Hotel - book now!

reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml

Last year, some people booked late and it was full and they had to stay at 
another hotel.
Mar 01
next sibling parent reply Nicholas Wilson <iamthewilsonator hotmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 02:24:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml

 Last year, some people booked late and it was full and they had 
 to stay at another hotel.
Thanks for the heads up. Any idea when the speaker list will be published?
Mar 01
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 3/1/2017 6:49 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
 Any idea when the speaker list will be published?
I hope soon.
Mar 01
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Chris <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 02:24:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml

 Last year, some people booked late and it was full and they had 
 to stay at another hotel.
Maybe someone could post a description of how to get there from the airport. I remember last year there was a detailed description with pictures etc. And beware of Berlin taxi drivers, you might get fleeced. Make sure they have a taxometer and that the taxi license is on display. If in doubt, get out!
Mar 02
next sibling parent reply Nemanja Boric <4burgos gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 09:33:42 UTC, Chris wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 02:24:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml

 Last year, some people booked late and it was full and they 
 had to stay at another hotel.
Maybe someone could post a description of how to get there from the airport. I remember last year there was a detailed description with pictures etc. And beware of Berlin taxi drivers, you might get fleeced. Make sure they have a taxometer and that the taxi license is on display. If in doubt, get out!
Yeah, I believe the pictures are still on the last year's topic. Nothing major has changed regarding transport. As far as Taxi goes, see the TXL airport plan here: http://www.berlin-airport.de/de/_dokumente/reisende/lageplaene-sxf-txl/2016-12-27-txl-terminals-de-en.pdf There are two Taxi stations, on the southeast of terminal A, and just in front of terminal C. Usually there's a lot of Taxis there, and in my experience they are all legal. Anywhere else on the airport, you can bet they are dodgy (see http://www.bz-berlin.de/artikel-archiv/die-gierigen-taxifahrer-vom-flughafen-tegel) This all stands for airport Tegel, I have no experiences with Schönefeld.
Mar 02
parent reply Chris <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 10:08:33 UTC, Nemanja Boric wrote:
 Yeah, I believe the pictures are still on the last year's 
 topic. Nothing major has changed regarding transport.

 As far as Taxi goes, see the TXL airport plan here: 
 http://www.berlin-airport.de/de/_dokumente/reisende/lageplaene-sxf-txl/2016-12-27-txl-terminals-de-en.pdf

 There are two Taxi stations, on the southeast of terminal A, 
 and just in front of terminal C. Usually there's a lot of Taxis 
 there, and in my experience they are all legal. Anywhere else 
 on the airport, you can bet they are dodgy (see 
 http://www.bz-berlin.de/artikel-archiv/die-gierigen-taxifahrer-vom-flughafen-tegel)

 This all stands for airport Tegel, I have no experiences with 
 Schönefeld.
The article says that the dodgy fellas wait at gates that are not designated taxi areas (e.g. gates A12-A13, while taxis can only pick up passengers at A6-A9). So stick to the map. "Flughafen Tegel, Innenring. Zwischen den Gates A12 und A13 warten drei Fahrer vor ihren Autos – verbotenerweise. Denn die offiziellen Halteplätze befinden sich vor den Flugsteigen A6 bis A9. Die Männer quatschen, lachen, lauern – und sind ständig über Handy verbunden, um sich auszutauschen, wo welche Maschinen landen."
Mar 02
next sibling parent reply Chris <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
Here's some good advice:

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k7931137-Got_ripped_off_by_taxi_driver_at_Berlin_Airport-Berlin.html
Mar 02
parent reply Jack Stouffer <jack jackstouffer.com> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 12:05:32 UTC, Chris wrote:
 Here's some good advice:

 https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k7931137-Got_ripped_off_by_taxi_driver_at_Berlin_Airport-Berlin.html
No Ubers in Berlin?
Mar 02
parent reply Chris <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 14:43:28 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 12:05:32 UTC, Chris wrote:
 Here's some good advice:

 https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k7931137-Got_ripped_off_by_taxi_driver_at_Berlin_Airport-Berlin.html
No Ubers in Berlin?
I don't know how trustworthy Uber is in Berlin. Anyone?
Mar 02
parent Nemanja Boric <4burgos gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 15:32:35 UTC, Chris wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 14:43:28 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 12:05:32 UTC, Chris wrote:
 Here's some good advice:

 https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k7931137-Got_ripped_off_by_taxi_driver_at_Berlin_Airport-Berlin.html
No Ubers in Berlin?
I don't know how trustworthy Uber is in Berlin. Anyone?
I only saw Uber signs on Taxi vehicles, so I think they are just a Taxi company here (IIRC it was made illegal in Germany).
Mar 02
prev sibling parent Nemanja Boric <4burgos gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 11:37:17 UTC, Chris wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 10:08:33 UTC, Nemanja Boric wrote:
 [...]
The article says that the dodgy fellas wait at gates that are not designated taxi areas (e.g. gates A12-A13, while taxis can only pick up passengers at A6-A9). So stick to the map. "Flughafen Tegel, Innenring. Zwischen den Gates A12 und A13 warten drei Fahrer vor ihren Autos – verbotenerweise. Denn die offiziellen Halteplätze befinden sich vor den Flugsteigen A6 bis A9. Die Männer quatschen, lachen, lauern – und sind ständig über Handy verbunden, um sich auszutauschen, wo welche Maschinen landen."
Exactly.
Mar 02
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On 3/2/17 4:33 AM, Chris wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 02:24:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml

 Last year, some people booked late and it was full and they had to
 stay at another hotel.
Maybe someone could post a description of how to get there from the airport. I remember last year there was a detailed description with pictures etc. And beware of Berlin taxi drivers, you might get fleeced. Make sure they have a taxometer and that the taxi license is on display. If in doubt, get out!
I used the bus + train, it was quite easy. Don't remember the exact stops, but I just used google maps to tell me the info. I recommend before you arrive, to go into google maps on your mobile device, and store the Berlin map as an offline area, especially if you do not have coverage. Also, you can pre-plan your trip if you know when your plane will arrive and figure out what the bus/train schedule is. For those not used to the transportation system there, you buy your ticket, and then validate it. If you don't validate your ticket, it doesn't count. I was thrown off that nobody really ever checked my tickets, but I guess you get into trouble if you don't have a validated ticket. The bus terminal had machines that allowed you to buy the ticket with cash or credit card I believe, and the same machines validate your ticket as well. -Steve
Mar 02
next sibling parent reply Chris <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 14:44:17 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:
 On 3/2/17 4:33 AM, Chris wrote:
 [...]
I used the bus + train, it was quite easy. Don't remember the exact stops, but I just used google maps to tell me the info. [...]
Maybe someone can put all this info on the http://dconf.org/2017/index.html page somewhere "How to get there" or something.
Mar 02
parent reply Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 15:09:16 UTC, Chris wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 14:44:17 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
 wrote:
 On 3/2/17 4:33 AM, Chris wrote:
 [...]
I used the bus + train, it was quite easy. Don't remember the exact stops, but I just used google maps to tell me the info. [...]
Maybe someone can put all this info on the http://dconf.org/2017/index.html page somewhere "How to get there" or something.
It's already there, isn't it? -> http://dconf.org/2017/venue.html Otherwise please send a PR to improve: https://github.com/dlang/dconf.org
Mar 02
parent Chris <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 18:21:31 UTC, Seb wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 15:09:16 UTC, Chris wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 14:44:17 UTC, Steven 
 Schveighoffer wrote:
 On 3/2/17 4:33 AM, Chris wrote:
 [...]
I used the bus + train, it was quite easy. Don't remember the exact stops, but I just used google maps to tell me the info. [...]
Maybe someone can put all this info on the http://dconf.org/2017/index.html page somewhere "How to get there" or something.
It's already there, isn't it? -> http://dconf.org/2017/venue.html Otherwise please send a PR to improve: https://github.com/dlang/dconf.org
No it isn't. It just says where it takes place (google maps). That's not quite the same.
Mar 03
prev sibling next sibling parent Nemanja Boric <4burgos gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 14:44:17 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:
 On 3/2/17 4:33 AM, Chris wrote:
 [...]
I used the bus + train, it was quite easy. Don't remember the exact stops, but I just used google maps to tell me the info. I recommend before you arrive, to go into google maps on your mobile device, and store the Berlin map as an offline area, especially if you do not have coverage. Also, you can pre-plan your trip if you know when your plane will arrive and figure out what the bus/train schedule is. For those not used to the transportation system there, you buy your ticket, and then validate it. If you don't validate your ticket, it doesn't count. I was thrown off that nobody really ever checked my tickets, but I guess you get into trouble if you don't have a validated ticket.
60EUR trouble ;-) Last years thread: Directions to Ibis Hotel in Berlin from Tegel Airport http://forum.dlang.org/thread/nfi108$2b02$1 digitalmars.com
Mar 02
prev sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 3/2/2017 6:44 AM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
 The bus terminal had machines that allowed you to buy the ticket with cash or
 credit card I believe, and the same machines validate your ticket as well.
Last year I used those machines to buy a 3 day pass to the transit system, I think it was lost in the menus under "Tourist Fahrkarte" or something like that. It was well worth it. Don't worry about timetables on the bus/subway. They run constantly.
Mar 02
parent Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 19:43:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 3/2/2017 6:44 AM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
 The bus terminal had machines that allowed you to buy the 
 ticket with cash or
 credit card I believe, and the same machines validate your 
 ticket as well.
Last year I used those machines to buy a 3 day pass to the transit system, I think it was lost in the menus under "Tourist Fahrkarte" or something like that. It was well worth it. Don't worry about timetables on the bus/subway. They run constantly.
Yep going from Tegel is about 2-3€ with the bus/subway. In case you don't plan to move much around, there's the "4-Fahrten Karte" (four rides): http://www.s-bahn-berlin.de/aboundtickets/4-fahrten-karte.htm From Tegel you will need tariff zones "AB" whereas for Schöneberg you will need all three tariff zones "ABC".
Mar 02
prev sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 3/2/2017 1:33 AM, Chris wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 02:24:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml

 Last year, some people booked late and it was full and they had to stay at
 another hotel.
Maybe someone could post a description of how to get there from the airport. I remember last year there was a detailed description with pictures etc. And beware of Berlin taxi drivers, you might get fleeced. Make sure they have a taxometer and that the taxi license is on display. If in doubt, get out!
I used these notes last year. They got me to the hotel: --------------------------------------------- http://www.ibis.com http://ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml ibis Berlin Neukoelln Tel : (+49)30/6850080 Jahnstrasse 13 - 12347 BERLIN GPS :N 52 27' 40.11'' E 13 26' 40.00'' Tegel Airport to Hotel: Bus 109 to Jakob-Kaiser-Platz Subway U 7 in the direction of Rudow to Grenzallee Cross the street at the traffic light and turn left. The next street on the right is Jahnstraße. On the left side you will find our hotel.
Mar 02
parent Mario =?UTF-8?B?S3LDtnBsaW4=?= <linkrope github.com> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 19:39:55 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 Tegel Airport to Hotel:
 Bus 109 to Jakob-Kaiser-Platz
 Subway U 7 in the direction of Rudow to Grenzallee
 Cross the street at the traffic light and turn left. The next 
 street on the right is Jahnstraße.
 On the left side you will find our hotel.
Bus X9 also takes you from Tegel Airport to Jakob-Kaiser-Platz. The goodies: - the X9 bus stop is (a few yards) closer to the exit of Tegel Airport - Jakob-Kaiser-Platz is the first stop of the X9
Mar 03
prev sibling next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 03/01/2017 09:24 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
 http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml

 Last year, some people booked late and it was full and they had to stay
 at another hotel.
Thanks Walter. Note: if you want to bunk/offer bunk to a friend, you may want to book the 2 twin beds option (same price as the queen bed). -- Andrei
Mar 02
prev sibling parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 02:24:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml

 Last year, some people booked late and it was full and they had 
 to stay at another hotel.
Aaand it's sold out. 2 months before the conference. Wow :)
Mar 04
parent reply Bastiaan Veelo <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
On Saturday, 4 March 2017 at 20:08:39 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 02:24:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml

 Last year, some people booked late and it was full and they 
 had to stay at another hotel.
Aaand it's sold out. 2 months before the conference. Wow :)
I just booked Erlanger Hof. It too is filling up fast.
Mar 14
parent reply Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On 3/14/17 12:39 PM, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
 On Saturday, 4 March 2017 at 20:08:39 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 02:24:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml

 Last year, some people booked late and it was full and they had to
 stay at another hotel.
Aaand it's sold out. 2 months before the conference. Wow :)
I just booked Erlanger Hof. It too is filling up fast.
That was booked when I tried. Anyone else staying at the Hotel Ludwig Van Beethoven (just booked that one)? -Steve
Mar 16
parent Laeeth Isharc <laeethnospam nospam.laeeth.com> writes:
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 at 19:35:31 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:
 On 3/14/17 12:39 PM, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
 On Saturday, 4 March 2017 at 20:08:39 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
 wrote:
 On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 02:24:50 UTC, Walter Bright 
 wrote:
 http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5694-ibis-berlin-neukoelln/index.shtml

 Last year, some people booked late and it was full and they 
 had to
 stay at another hotel.
Aaand it's sold out. 2 months before the conference. Wow :)
I just booked Erlanger Hof. It too is filling up fast.
That was booked when I tried. Anyone else staying at the Hotel Ludwig Van Beethoven (just booked that one)? -Steve
I'm there too. Laeeth.
Mar 20