www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - DConf 2014 Day 2 Talk 7: Tiny, Ubiquitous Machines Powered by D by

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2aoqov/dconf_2014_day_2_talk_7_tiny_ubiquitous_machines/

https://www.facebook.com/dlang.org/posts/884725944874421

https://twitter.com/D_Programming/status/488748669869780992


Andrei
Jul 14 2014
next sibling parent "Dicebot" <public dicebot.lv> writes:
On Monday, 14 July 2014 at 18:17:25 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
 http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2aoqov/dconf_2014_day_2_talk_7_tiny_ubiquitous_machines/

 https://www.facebook.com/dlang.org/posts/884725944874421

 https://twitter.com/D_Programming/status/488748669869780992


 Andrei
http://youtu.be/o5m0m_ZG9e8
Jul 14 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Mike" <none none.com> writes:
On Monday, 14 July 2014 at 18:17:25 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:

I ported my Datasheet-To-Code C# program to D for redemption:  
https://github.com/JinShil/stm32_datasheet_to_d.
Jul 14 2014
parent reply "bearophile" <bearophileHUGS lycos.com> writes:
The talk was nice, and it's the chance I was waiting to ask a 
question to the speaker.

I've read a very nice paper (+ slides) about using some 
specialized but simple type system rules to make less bug-prone 
the bit-twiddling kind of code, "Bit-Level Types for High-Level 
Reasoning" by Ranjit Jhala, Rupak Majumdar:

http://goto.ucsd.edu/~rjhala/papers/bit_level_types_for_high_level_reasoning.html

I'd like to use those ideas in D, they are useful for low-level 
or embedded programming.

The D type system (and D syntax) seem enough to implement most of 
them without changes to the D language (or with small changes, 
but you can't tell before you have tried implementing them with 
the current language).

So are those things a good addition to Phobos for your kind of 
programming? (additions to the language can be discussed later).

Bye,
bearophile
Jul 15 2014
next sibling parent "bearophile" <bearophileHUGS lycos.com> writes:
 So are those things a good addition to Phobos for your kind of 
 programming? (additions to the language can be discussed later).
You can look at the slides for a quicker overview, or you can ask me here for a summary, if necessary. Bye, bearophile
Jul 15 2014
prev sibling parent "Mike" <none none.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 15 July 2014 at 18:47:28 UTC, bearophile wrote:
 The talk was nice, and it's the chance I was waiting to ask a 
 question to the speaker.

 I've read a very nice paper (+ slides) about using some 
 specialized but simple type system rules to make less bug-prone 
 the bit-twiddling kind of code, "Bit-Level Types for High-Level 
 Reasoning" by Ranjit Jhala, Rupak Majumdar:

 http://goto.ucsd.edu/~rjhala/papers/bit_level_types_for_high_level_reasoning.html

 I'd like to use those ideas in D, they are useful for low-level 
 or embedded programming.

 The D type system (and D syntax) seem enough to implement most 
 of them without changes to the D language (or with small 
 changes, but you can't tell before you have tried implementing 
 them with the current language).

 So are those things a good addition to Phobos for your kind of 
 programming? (additions to the language can be discussed later).

 Bye,
 bearophile
You may have to summarize it for me, because in my few minutes of scanning the slides and the PDF, I don't see much difference between what the authors are proposing and what's provided by std.bitmanip. (But the paper is pretty researchy, and its hard to see the forest through the trees). I use absolute indexes in my code rather than bitwitdhs. I do this because my datasheet uses absolute indexes, and it's important for me to be able to cross-reference to my datasheet, at a glance. This is why I didn't use std.bitmanip. My other goal is to enforce mutability and access. I want to make sure I, or my users, know, at compile time, when they are trying to write to a read-only bitfield or otherwise access a bitfield incorrectly. And finally, I want to reduce code size and increase performance. I don't want to do read-modify-write if I don't have to, not just for threading concerns, but because that usually results in more instructions which is detrimental to both code-size and performance. And, for the same reason, I don't want function-call overhead. Anything that helps me achieve these goals is great. D's CTFE, templates, and mixins really came through for me here. My registers are modeled like this (enabled by my mmio.d - https://github.com/JinShil/memory_mapped_io/blob/master/source/mmio.d): final abstract class RCC : Peripheral!(0x00003800) { final abstract class CR : Register!(0x00, Access.Byte_HalfWord_Word) { alias PLLI2SRDY = Bit!(27, Mutability.r); alias PLLI2SON = Bit!(26, Mutability.rw); alias PLLRDY = Bit!(25, Mutability.r); alias PLLON = Bit!(24, Mutability.rw); alias CSSON = Bit!(19, Mutability.rw); alias HSEBYP = Bit!(18, Mutability.rw); alias HSERDY = Bit!(17, Mutability.r); alias HSEON = Bit!(16, Mutability.rw); alias HSICAL = BitField!(15, 8, Mutability.r); alias HSITRIM = BitField!(7, 3, Mutability.rw); alias HSIRDY = Bit!(1, Mutability.r); alias HSION = Bit!(0, Mutability.rw); } } ... and are used like this: if (RCC.CR.HSIRDY) { RCC.CR.HSION = true; while(!RCC.CR.HSIRDY); } This provides me a high-level abstraction to my bit manipulations, named fields, no overhead, and compile-time enforcement of constraints. What in the authors' proposal is different than what is offered by std.bitmanip, and how could I leverage it to achieve the goals stated here? Mike
Jul 16 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Dicebot" <public dicebot.lv> writes:
This is my favorite DConf 2014 talk. I absolutely admire 
dedication Mike has pushed through many annoying issues through 
to the point he has prevailed :) Best proof of concept for D 
usage in embedded barebone world I have seen so far.
Jul 14 2014
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 7/14/2014 12:32 PM, Dicebot wrote:
 This is my favorite DConf 2014 talk. I absolutely admire dedication Mike has
 pushed through many annoying issues through to the point he has prevailed :)
 Best proof of concept for D usage in embedded barebone world I have seen so
far.
Post this on reddit!
Jul 14 2014
prev sibling parent Johannes Pfau <nospam example.com> writes:
Am Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:17:26 -0700
schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org>:

 http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2aoqov/dconf_2014_day_2_talk=
_7_tiny_ubiquitous_machines/
=20
 https://www.facebook.com/dlang.org/posts/884725944874421
=20
 https://twitter.com/D_Programming/status/488748669869780992
=20
=20
 Andrei
Nice talk! I hope we'll see D on quadrocopters and similar devices soon ;-) There are actually some cheap (15-30=E2=82=AC) quadrocopters on ebay with a reprogrammable Cortex M0: http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/309185 (german) http://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/Hack-O-Copter (german) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3D2174365 https://github.com/hackocopter (OSS firmware)
Jul 15 2014