www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - Concurrency and parallelism panel

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
Includes discussion on ranges.

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/md9te/concurrency_and_parallelism_panel_at_c_and_beyond/


Andrei
Nov 15 2011
next sibling parent Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
There's also this other video of you guys discussing C++0x which might
be interesting (maybe not relevant to D but anywho):

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/C-and-Beyond-2011-C11-Panel-Scott-Meyers-Andrei-Alexandrescu-and-Herb-Sutter
Nov 16 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Bill Baxter <wbaxter gmail.com> writes:
When Herb gave a talk at NWCPP not long ago about C++0x, Walter's questions
and comments were priceless.
Herb asks "would you expect this [messy-looking but seemingly optimal c++
loop] to be faster, or this [nice clean looking c++0x code that you might
think has lots of overhead]".   Walter raises his hand and says something
like "the c++0x version should definitely be faster".   Herb seems to think
maybe he's just guessing what the punch line is, but Walter follows up with
"Sure, because in the C++0x version you end up using using integer
indexing, which is much easier for the compiler to optimize, while the
'optimal c++' version uses pointers."  That was the right answer.   Could
be me misreading his reaction, but it almost seemed to me like Herb didn't
know why his C++0x code was faster than his C++ code.

Not to put Herb down too much, he did put on a great talk.  He's an
excellent presenter and communicator.

--bb

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com
 wrote:

 There's also this other video of you guys discussing C++0x which might
 be interesting (maybe not relevant to D but anywho):


 http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/C-and-Beyond-2011-C11-Panel-Scott-Meyers-Andrei-Alexandrescu-and-Herb-Sutter

Nov 16 2011
prev sibling parent reply Caligo <iteronvexor gmail.com> writes:
Any new D talks that took place in the last year or so?
Nov 18 2011
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 11/18/11 10:44 PM, Caligo wrote:
 Any new D talks that took place in the last year or so?

I gave a couple of public and private talks (NWCPP/Silicon Valley, Riverbed Software) but they weren't recorded. There are a couple more D-related events next year. One is a summer school in Elba in a star-studded company (after you set me aside): http://laser.inf.ethz.ch/2012/. There is one more event in Seattle early next year that I'm not allowed to make public yet. That doesn't have much to do with D, but as of late I can't get to give a talk on much without being spontaneously asked about D. We're mulling over the possibility of a D conference, but this is ante-preliminary. Andrei
Nov 20 2011
parent Caligo <iteronvexor gmail.com> writes:
On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu <
SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 On 11/18/11 10:44 PM, Caligo wrote:

 Any new D talks that took place in the last year or so?

I gave a couple of public and private talks (NWCPP/Silicon Valley, Riverbed Software) but they weren't recorded. There are a couple more D-related events next year. One is a summer school in Elba in a star-studded company (after you set me aside): http://laser.inf.ethz.ch/2012/**. There is one more event in Seattle early next year that I'm not allowed to make public yet. That doesn't have much to do with D, but as of late I can't get to give a talk on much without being spontaneously asked about D. We're mulling over the possibility of a D conference, but this is ante-preliminary. Andrei

How about audio podcasts?? It might be something more reachable. Recently I discovered Software Engineering Radio, http://www.se-radio.net/ For example, here is Simon Peyton Jones<http://research.microsoft.com/%7Esimonpj/>talking about Haskell. Pretty good stuff: http://www.se-radio.net/?s=Simon+Peyton+Jones&submit=Find Maybe they could do an episode with Walter or you talking about D?
Nov 22 2011