www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Bug fix week

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
We've had a tremendous infusion of talent and energy in Phobos, and 
lately work has picked up in unprecedented ways, both in terms of new 
features and bug fixes. I can't say how happy I am about that!

At the end of this starting week, on Friday May 28, TDPL will be out on 
trucks to bookstores.

Let's make this week a bug fixing week for both dmd and Phobos, and 
issue a release on Monday. We're going public!


Andrei
May 23 2010
next sibling parent reply Don <nospam nospam.com> writes:
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 We've had a tremendous infusion of talent and energy in Phobos, and 
 lately work has picked up in unprecedented ways, both in terms of new 
 features and bug fixes. I can't say how happy I am about that!
 
 At the end of this starting week, on Friday May 28, TDPL will be out on 
 trucks to bookstores.
 
 Let's make this week a bug fixing week for both dmd and Phobos, and 
 issue a release on Monday. We're going public!
 
 
 Andrei

IMHO, one of the most important bugs to fix is actually a spec bug: 4056 Template instantiation with bare parameter not documented The foo!int syntax as a shortcut for foo!(int) isn't documented anywhere in the spec!! This is an embarrassing omission and should be fixed ASAP. Anyone could submit a patch with suggested wording for this one.
May 24 2010
next sibling parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 05/24/2010 09:08 AM, Don wrote:
 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 We've had a tremendous infusion of talent and energy in Phobos, and
 lately work has picked up in unprecedented ways, both in terms of new
 features and bug fixes. I can't say how happy I am about that!

 At the end of this starting week, on Friday May 28, TDPL will be out
 on trucks to bookstores.

 Let's make this week a bug fixing week for both dmd and Phobos, and
 issue a release on Monday. We're going public!


 Andrei

IMHO, one of the most important bugs to fix is actually a spec bug: 4056 Template instantiation with bare parameter not documented The foo!int syntax as a shortcut for foo!(int) isn't documented anywhere in the spec!! This is an embarrassing omission and should be fixed ASAP. Anyone could submit a patch with suggested wording for this one.

I agree that's bad, but somewhat ironically it's not as bad for TDPL's timeline. The syntax _is_ documented in TDPL. Andrei
May 24 2010
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2010-05-24 16.17, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 05/24/2010 09:08 AM, Don wrote:
 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 We've had a tremendous infusion of talent and energy in Phobos, and
 lately work has picked up in unprecedented ways, both in terms of new
 features and bug fixes. I can't say how happy I am about that!

 At the end of this starting week, on Friday May 28, TDPL will be out
 on trucks to bookstores.

 Let's make this week a bug fixing week for both dmd and Phobos, and
 issue a release on Monday. We're going public!


 Andrei

IMHO, one of the most important bugs to fix is actually a spec bug: 4056 Template instantiation with bare parameter not documented The foo!int syntax as a shortcut for foo!(int) isn't documented anywhere in the spec!! This is an embarrassing omission and should be fixed ASAP. Anyone could submit a patch with suggested wording for this one.

I agree that's bad, but somewhat ironically it's not as bad for TDPL's timeline. The syntax _is_ documented in TDPL. Andrei

I would say that's even worse, let me explain. In D if you run into a problem/bug with the compiler you never now where the problem is. * Is it the spec that is correct and the compiler doesn't follow the spec? * Is it the spec that is incorrect and the compiler behaves correctly? * Perhaps the spec is correct and the compiler follows the spec but a feature is not implemented correctly? * Perhaps the spec is correct but the compiler doesn't implement the feature yet. Now when TDPL comes into the picture there is yet another layer to all this. Now you can have the behavior when TDPL is correct but the compiler and the spec is incorrect or any other combination of the now three parties. -- /Jacob Carlborg
May 25 2010
prev sibling next sibling parent reply dennis luehring <dl.soluz gmx.net> writes:
Am 24.05.2010 16:08, schrieb Don:
 4056 Template instantiation with bare parameter not documented

why don't remove this feature? it isn't syntactic sugar just an "alternative" syntax (how many other alternative syntaxes needed?)
May 24 2010
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 05/24/2010 11:53 AM, dennis luehring wrote:
 Am 24.05.2010 16:08, schrieb Don:
  > 4056 Template instantiation with bare parameter not documented

 why don't remove this feature? it isn't syntactic sugar just an
 "alternative" syntax (how many other alternative syntaxes needed?)

FWIW I swear by it. Andrei
May 24 2010
next sibling parent bearophile <bearophileHUGS lycos.com> writes:
Adam Ruppe:
 I was opposed to it in the beginning as being unnecessary, but
 it is really nice now that I use it.

This is true for me too. Bye, bearophile
May 24 2010
prev sibling parent Pelle <pelle.mansson gmail.com> writes:
On 05/24/2010 07:04 PM, Adam Ruppe wrote:
 On 5/24/10, Andrei Alexandrescu<SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org>  wrote:
 FWIW I swear by it.

Me too. I was opposed to it in the beginning as being unnecessary, but it is really nice now that I use it. auto a = to!int(whatever); Just flows really nicely. to!(int)(whatever) isn't quite the same.

map!foo(data); So awesome.
May 24 2010
prev sibling next sibling parent Adam Ruppe <destructionator gmail.com> writes:
On 5/24/10, Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:
 FWIW I swear by it.

Me too. I was opposed to it in the beginning as being unnecessary, but it is really nice now that I use it. auto a = to!int(whatever); Just flows really nicely. to!(int)(whatever) isn't quite the same.
May 24 2010
prev sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Don wrote:
<snip>
 IMHO, one of the most important bugs to fix is actually a spec bug:
 
 4056 Template instantiation with bare parameter not documented

Why single out that one? This is the one that needs fixing most of all: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=677 Stewart.
May 27 2010
parent Don <nospam nospam.com> writes:
Stewart Gordon wrote:
 Don wrote:
 <snip>
 IMHO, one of the most important bugs to fix is actually a spec bug:

 4056 Template instantiation with bare parameter not documented

Why single out that one?

Because it's a feature that is used in almost every non-trivial D2 program, and the spec gives no hint that it even exists. Without it, you can't even make sense of many of the Phobos docs. It's an absolute disaster for anyone taking a first look at the language -- something which we expect to happen frequently in the next few weeks.
May 27 2010
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Masahiro Nakagawa" <repeatedly gmail.com> writes:
On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:50:14 +0900, Andrei Alexandrescu
<SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 We've had a tremendous infusion of talent and energy in Phobos, and  
 lately work has picked up in unprecedented ways, both in terms of new  
 features and bug fixes. I can't say how happy I am about that!

 At the end of this starting week, on Friday May 28, TDPL will be out on  
 trucks to bookstores.

 Let's make this week a bug fixing week for both dmd and Phobos, and  
 issue a release on Monday. We're going public!


 Andrei

I think we need improvement of DDoc. Current DDoc doesn't keep up with D Spec(e.g. ignore attribute, pure, etc...).
May 26 2010
next sibling parent Brad Roberts <braddr slice-2.puremagic.com> writes:
On Thu, 27 May 2010, Masahiro Nakagawa wrote:

 On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:50:14 +0900, Andrei Alexandrescu
 <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:
 
 We've had a tremendous infusion of talent and energy in Phobos, and lately
 work has picked up in unprecedented ways, both in terms of new features and
 bug fixes. I can't say how happy I am about that!
 
 At the end of this starting week, on Friday May 28, TDPL will be out on
 trucks to bookstores.
 
 Let's make this week a bug fixing week for both dmd and Phobos, and issue a
 release on Monday. We're going public!
 
 
 Andrei

I think we need improvement of DDoc. Current DDoc doesn't keep up with D Spec(e.g. ignore attribute, pure, etc...).

Fixes are generated at the rate Walter plus several other volunteers generate them. Care to add yourself to that set of volunteers? The source is fully available.. Bugzilla has a lot of issues to choose your favorite(s) from... Later, Brad
May 26 2010
prev sibling parent reply Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeiros+spam com.gmail> writes:
On 26/05/2010 21:14, Masahiro Nakagawa wrote:
 On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:50:14 +0900, Andrei Alexandrescu
 <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:
 
 We've had a tremendous infusion of talent and energy in Phobos, and 
 lately work has picked up in unprecedented ways, both in terms of new 
 features and bug fixes. I can't say how happy I am about that!

 At the end of this starting week, on Friday May 28, TDPL will be out 
 on trucks to bookstores.

 Let's make this week a bug fixing week for both dmd and Phobos, and 
 issue a release on Monday. We're going public!


 Andrei

I think we need improvement of DDoc. Current DDoc doesn't keep up with D Spec(e.g. ignore attribute, pure, etc...).

I very much agree with this. -- Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
May 28 2010
parent SHOO <zan77137 nifty.com> writes:
Bruno Medeiros さんは書きました:
 On 26/05/2010 21:14, Masahiro Nakagawa wrote:
 On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:50:14 +0900, Andrei Alexandrescu
 <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 We've had a tremendous infusion of talent and energy in Phobos, and 
 lately work has picked up in unprecedented ways, both in terms of new 
 features and bug fixes. I can't say how happy I am about that!

 At the end of this starting week, on Friday May 28, TDPL will be out 
 on trucks to bookstores.

 Let's make this week a bug fixing week for both dmd and Phobos, and 
 issue a release on Monday. We're going public!


 Andrei

Current DDoc doesn't keep up with D Spec(e.g. ignore attribute, pure, etc...).

I very much agree with this.

I agree too. DDoc really lacks details of D2's key features. And those features are not used even in Phobos. Therefore, the features that does not understand how to use. In particular, I paid attention to shared, but I could not have any good idea. Please make key features clear, and describe documentation. Otherwise, no one will bring even one problem up. I let Phobos support safe, and I enumerated some problems last time. See also: http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/phobos/2010-May/000488.html Following this, shared, Range, pure, nothrow, etc... should be used in fact, too, and should be evaluated.
May 28 2010
prev sibling parent "Masahiro Nakagawa" <repeatedly gmail.com> writes:
On Thu, 27 May 2010 05:47:50 +0900, Brad Roberts  
<braddr slice-2.puremagic.com> wrote:

 On Thu, 27 May 2010, Masahiro Nakagawa wrote:

 On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:50:14 +0900, Andrei Alexandrescu
 <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 We've had a tremendous infusion of talent and energy in Phobos, and  

 work has picked up in unprecedented ways, both in terms of new  

 bug fixes. I can't say how happy I am about that!

 At the end of this starting week, on Friday May 28, TDPL will be out  

 trucks to bookstores.

 Let's make this week a bug fixing week for both dmd and Phobos, and  

 release on Monday. We're going public!


 Andrei

I think we need improvement of DDoc. Current DDoc doesn't keep up with D Spec(e.g. ignore attribute, pure, etc...).

Fixes are generated at the rate Walter plus several other volunteers generate them. Care to add yourself to that set of volunteers? The source is fully available.. Bugzilla has a lot of issues to choose your favorite(s) from... Later, Brad

Yes. I would like to fix dmd bugs. But, I don't understand dmd internal now :( Give me a more time.
May 26 2010