www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - Beta D 2.075.1

reply Martin Nowak <code+news.digitalmars dawg.eu> writes:
First beta for the 2.075.1 point release.

This version resolves a few regressions and bugs in the 2.075.0
release.

This release does not ship with the dman tool due to an unresolved
issue. Let us know whether and how you use that tool, so we can evaluate
whether it's worth fixing.

http://dlang.org/download.html#dmd_beta
http://dlang.org/changelog/2.075.1.html

Please report any bugs at https://issues.dlang.org

-Martin
Aug 08
parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 08:41:15 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 This release does not ship with the dman tool due to an 
 unresolved issue.
What's the problem with dman?
Aug 08
parent reply Daniel Kozak via Digitalmars-d-announce writes:
https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17731

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Vladimir Panteleev via
Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce puremagic.com> wrote:

 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 08:41:15 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:

 This release does not ship with the dman tool due to an unresolved issue.
What's the problem with dman?
Aug 08
parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 14:57:58 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
 https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17731
Thanks. I've submitted a fix.
Aug 08
parent reply Martin Nowak <code dawg.eu> writes:
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 15:45:45 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 14:57:58 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
 https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17731
Thanks. I've submitted a fix.
Thanks, considering https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17569 I'd still say we should evaluate whether we want to continue maintaining and shipping a tool with unclear usefulness and userbase.
Aug 08
next sibling parent Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 20:32:34 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 15:45:45 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
 wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 14:57:58 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
 https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17731
Thanks. I've submitted a fix.
Thanks, considering https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17569 I'd still say we should evaluate whether we want to continue maintaining and shipping a tool with unclear usefulness and userbase.
How about putting dman on DUB instead then? Acquiring the d-man.json could be tricky, but if not done already, we could build it by default on dlang.org and then simply fetch it in the preBuildSteps
Aug 09
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ulrich =?UTF-8?B?S8O8dHRsZXI=?= <kuettler gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 20:32:34 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 Thanks, considering 
 https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17569 I'd still say we 
 should evaluate whether we want to continue maintaining and 
 shipping a tool with unclear usefulness and userbase.
dman is awesome! I did not use it because I did not know!
Aug 09
parent reply Martin Nowak <code dawg.eu> writes:
On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 at 15:35:12 UTC, Ulrich K├╝ttler wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 20:32:34 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 Thanks, considering 
 https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17569 I'd still say 
 we should evaluate whether we want to continue maintaining and 
 shipping a tool with unclear usefulness and userbase.
dman is awesome! I did not use it because I did not know!
I guessed that would happen, doesn't resolve the name conflicts though. Does it provide enough value over the website search? Try dman 2.074.0, opens http://dlang.org/changelog/2.019.html#2.074.0. Also not a good replacement for DCD like docs-in-IDE integration. What about dman as dub package? For sure we could upload d.tag/d-tags.json to the website. While I personally find the tool nice, I never ended up using it much, because it requires you to know what you're searching for. No fuzzy search, no overview, etc. So in the end the search bar works much better for me.
Aug 10
next sibling parent Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 10 August 2017 at 17:24:41 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 Try dman 2.074.0, opens 
 http://dlang.org/changelog/2.019.html#2.074.0.
That would be a bug. It extends to the generated CHM's index as well, so we should fix it.
 So in the end the search bar works much better for me.
If dman doesn't find the exact thing you're looking for, it falls back to a Google search, which is what the website search uses as well.
Aug 10
prev sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/10/2017 10:24 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:
 Does it provide enough value over the website search?
I use it all the time, because it gets me where I want to go from the command line. Opening a browser, browsing to dlang.org, clickety-clicking around takes much longer. Worse, the site search rarely gets me where I want to go.
 While I personally find the tool nice, I never ended up using it much, because 
 it requires you to know what you're searching for.
It could use all of the runtime library functions added to the index, instead of just a smattering.
Aug 10
parent reply Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 10 August 2017 at 20:15:12 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 It could use all of the runtime library functions added to the 
 index, instead of just a smattering.
This should be the case as of a few years. Is there anything missing specifically that you can point out?
Aug 10
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/10/2017 6:03 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
 On Thursday, 10 August 2017 at 20:15:12 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 It could use all of the runtime library functions added to the index, instead 
 of just a smattering.
This should be the case as of a few years. Is there anything missing specifically that you can point out?
No. Guess I haven't been keeping up!
Aug 10
prev sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/8/2017 1:32 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 15:45:45 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 14:57:58 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
 https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17731
Thanks. I've submitted a fix.
Thanks, considering https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17569 I'd still say we should evaluate whether we want to continue maintaining and shipping a tool with unclear usefulness and userbase.
Just rename it to dmanual.
Aug 10
parent aberba <karabutawotld gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 10 August 2017 at 20:18:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 8/8/2017 1:32 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 15:45:45 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
 wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 14:57:58 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
 https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17731
Thanks. I've submitted a fix.
Thanks, considering https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17569 I'd still say we should evaluate whether we want to continue maintaining and shipping a tool with unclear usefulness and userbase.
Just rename it to dmanual.
I've been wondering what dman was. I though it literally D Man. dmanual is the obvious name it should have.
Aug 11