www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - akIDE - IDE in D for D

reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
I've been doin this for some time. Now I feel like I'm ready to release
something. I've set a few pages about it at http://www.lessequal.com/akide. I
will be glad to get some feedback.
May 17 2005
next sibling parent reply Vathix <vathix dprogramming.com> writes:
On Tue, 17 May 2005 07:48:29 -0400, bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com>  
wrote:

 I've been doin this for some time. Now I feel like I'm ready to release
 something. I've set a few pages about it at  
 http://www.lessequal.com/akide. I
 will be glad to get some feedback.

Looks nice, but the download is painfully slow :(
May 17 2005
parent bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <op.sqw4r6m8kcck4r esi>, Vathix says...
Looks nice, but the download is painfully slow :(

Yes I was afraid so. I asked for project at dsource. Hopefully they will give me some space soon...
May 17 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "G.Vidal" <gyvidal wanadoo.fr> writes:
-> "it would run/look slow and ugly like linux."

First, Linux can "look" as you like, linux is NOT a window manager. 
And you can make it looks great. 
Second, slow??? ahahaha.

Third, I can't try your IDE, I don't have windows. But it surely is a
piece of shit.
May 17 2005
next sibling parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <pan.2005.05.17.13.25.35.491712 wanadoo.fr>, G.Vidal says...
-> "it would run/look slow and ugly like linux."

First, Linux can "look" as you like, linux is NOT a window manager. 
And you can make it looks great. 
Second, slow??? ahahaha.

No matter how I make it looks icons are still ugly for me. Start menu or whatever it is called is ugly also. Fonts are ugly also. And I wont waste days to fix all these things... Or weeks ot learn how! I have red hat 6,7 -> Runs VERY SLOW I have suse 9 -> Runs SLOW I have free bsd 4 -> Runs SLOW, little faster that linux I have windows -> Runs TIMES faster that linux Linux is copying files faster. But it is not all I do on my pc... And gcc is times faster on linux but there are enough compilers for windows...
Third, I can't try your IDE, I don't have windows. But it surely is a
piece of shit.

Surely it is. I just wonder why people who like linux take it so personal when someone doesn't?
May 17 2005
next sibling parent "G.Vidal" <gyvidal wanadoo.fr> writes:
Le Tue, 17 May 2005 13:40:05 +0000, bobef a écrit :

 In article <pan.2005.05.17.13.25.35.491712 wanadoo.fr>, G.Vidal says...
-> "it would run/look slow and ugly like linux."

First, Linux can "look" as you like, linux is NOT a window manager. 
And you can make it looks great. 
Second, slow??? ahahaha.

No matter how I make it looks icons are still ugly for me. Start menu or whatever it is called is ugly also. Fonts are ugly also. And I wont waste days to fix all these things... Or weeks ot learn how!

http://www.lynucs.org/ You'll find thousands of screenshots all differents. And don't tell me the 3577 shots of the site are all ugly.
 I have red hat 6,7 -> Runs VERY SLOW
 I have suse 9 -> Runs SLOW
 I have free bsd 4 -> Runs SLOW, little faster that linux
 I have windows -> Runs TIMES faster that linux

It's a problem with _your_ computer, not with the linux kernel. You probably have not standart or unrecognized devices, or badly configured.
 Surely it is. I just wonder why people who like linux take it so personal when
 someone doesn't?

Because.
May 17 2005
prev sibling parent Dejan Lekic <leka entropy.tmok.com> writes:
bobef, i wouldn't dare claim something like that without supporting facts -
have you benchmarked ? Have you some proof?

I am multiplatform developer for years and work with different Windows,
Linux and UNIX (including MacOS) configurations on daily basis and I really
would never say something like You've just said... :)

Maybe You were dreaming about Windows running faster than Linux, or maybe
You were drunk, or maybe You've installed all possible services on RedHat
(which made your machine near to die) ...

-- 
...........
Dejan Lekic
  http://dejan.lekic.org
  
May 17 2005
prev sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"G.Vidal" <gyvidal wanadoo.fr> wrote in message 
news:pan.2005.05.17.13.25.35.491712 wanadoo.fr...

 Third, I can't try your IDE .. But it surely is a
 piece of shit.

Umm, excuse me? Are you eight years old? Someone insults your precious OS and you say that their program is "poop"?
May 18 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
bobef wrote:
 I've been doin this for some time. Now I feel like I'm ready to release
 something. I've set a few pages about it at http://www.lessequal.com/akide. I
 will be glad to get some feedback.
 
 

Nice looking project... but your license is totally bizarre... and would alienate every potential user on this planet in some form or another, including yourself -- see "unwanted users." It will be a challenge for you to gain support with your tendency for hyperbole. Oh... and your Linux comments are indeed unfair... not that it matters much: you do have a right to an opinion, however unsubstantiated they be. -JJR
May 17 2005
parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d6d0vg$34v$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
Nice looking project... but your license is totally bizarre... and would 
alienate every potential user on this planet in some form or another, 
including yourself -- see "unwanted users."

Yes I know :( I will rewrite the license these days. I just wrote some things I don't like and I named people doing them "unwanted users" :) But it is free for anybody you know. I don't want to stop anyone from using it... Exept military of course :)
May 17 2005
next sibling parent reply David Medlock <noone nowhere.com> writes:
bobef wrote:
 In article <d6d0vg$34v$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
 
Nice looking project... but your license is totally bizarre... and would 
alienate every potential user on this planet in some form or another, 
including yourself -- see "unwanted users."

Yes I know :( I will rewrite the license these days. I just wrote some things I don't like and I named people doing them "unwanted users" :) But it is free for anybody you know. I don't want to stop anyone from using it... Exept military of course :)

Just out of curiousity why would you wish to keep millitary users from using it? (I cringe for the expected answer). -DavidM
May 17 2005
parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d6d21a$44p$1 digitaldaemon.com>, David Medlock says...
Just out of curiousity why would you wish to keep millitary users from 
using it?  (I cringe for the expected answer).

-DavidM

I don't like people dropping bombs and killing other people for money (i.e. no reason). I don't like people who doesn't use their brains for good. I don't like people who are destroying good and particulary our planet. I don't people making weapons instead of something good. I don't like people controlling other people with force. And some other things too. This all applies to militaries.
May 17 2005
next sibling parent Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
bobef wrote:
 In article <d6d21a$44p$1 digitaldaemon.com>, David Medlock says...
 
Just out of curiousity why would you wish to keep millitary users from 
using it?  (I cringe for the expected answer).

-DavidM

I don't like people dropping bombs and killing other people for money (i.e. no reason). I don't like people who doesn't use their brains for good. I don't like people who are destroying good and particulary our planet. I don't people making weapons instead of something good. I don't like people controlling other people with force. And some other things too. This all applies to militaries.

quite a prescient cringe.
May 17 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
bobef wrote:
 In article <d6d21a$44p$1 digitaldaemon.com>, David Medlock says...
 
Just out of curiousity why would you wish to keep millitary users from 
using it?  (I cringe for the expected answer).

-DavidM

I don't like people dropping bombs and killing other people for money (i.e. no reason). I don't like people who doesn't use their brains for good. I don't like people who are destroying good and particulary our planet. I don't people making weapons instead of something good. I don't like people controlling other people with force. And some other things too. This all applies to militaries.

Then... I suggest you refuse all the good things of this life and lock yourself up. All things you enjoy now are available because some men took it upon themselves to resist those that would take such things away. War is a sickeningly horrible thing... but sticking your head in the sand won't make it go away. Just an opinion. You have a right to yours, but I suggest you be very careful how you voice it. Hitler loves people like you. It made his job easier. -JJR
May 17 2005
next sibling parent reply Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
John Reimer wrote:

 bobef wrote:
 In article <d6d21a$44p$1 digitaldaemon.com>, David Medlock says...
 
Just out of curiousity why would you wish to keep millitary users from
using it?  (I cringe for the expected answer).

-DavidM

I don't like people dropping bombs and killing other people for money (i.e. no reason). I don't like people who doesn't use their brains for good. I don't like people who are destroying good and particulary our planet. I don't people making weapons instead of something good. I don't like people controlling other people with force. And some other things too. This all applies to militaries.


 War is a sickeningly horrible thing... but sticking your head in the
 sand won't make it go away.

Well, he ain't sticking his head in the sand, that's for sure... BTW, did everyone just lose it? I'm feeling really strong about this subject, but I wouldn't dream about making such statements (meaning the entire range of statements) in this group. The linux part is somewhat more connected, but still. Lars Ivar Igesund
May 17 2005
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar igesund.net> wrote in message 
news:d6dj2b$k1a$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 John Reimer wrote:

 bobef wrote:
 In article <d6d21a$44p$1 digitaldaemon.com>, David Medlock says...

Just out of curiousity why would you wish to keep millitary users from
using it?  (I cringe for the expected answer).

-DavidM

I don't like people dropping bombs and killing other people for money (i.e. no reason). I don't like people who doesn't use their brains for good. I don't like people who are destroying good and particulary our planet. I don't people making weapons instead of something good. I don't like people controlling other people with force. And some other things too. This all applies to militaries.


 War is a sickeningly horrible thing... but sticking your head in the
 sand won't make it go away.

Well, he ain't sticking his head in the sand, that's for sure... BTW, did everyone just lose it? I'm feeling really strong about this subject, but I wouldn't dream about making such statements (meaning the entire range of statements) in this group. The linux part is somewhat more connected, but still. Lars Ivar Igesund

I was really impressed with the akIDE web site until I read the content :-P I hope he rewords some the content on there to be less of a flame. That license is ... unusual. It actually gave me a chuckle.
May 17 2005
parent Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
Ben Hinkle wrote:
 
 I was really impressed with the akIDE web site until I read the content :-P
 I hope he rewords some the content on there to be less of a flame. That 
 license is ... unusual. It actually gave me a chuckle. 
 
 

http://www.lessequal.com/akide/terms.html football hooligans beware...
May 17 2005
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:09:46 +0200, Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

 John Reimer wrote:

 Well, he ain't sticking his head in the sand, that's for sure...

Then you didn't get my context... He is in one very important respect.
 BTW, did everyone just lose it? I'm feeling really strong about this
 subject, but I wouldn't dream about making such statements (meaning the
 entire range of statements) in this group. The linux part is somewhat more
 connected, but still.

By answering the above way, Lars, you became just as much a part of this conversation as everyone else. It's funny that one person stating his opinion is normal, while other's responding with their own is "losing it"? Very strange. -JJR
May 17 2005
parent reply Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
John Reimer wrote:

 On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:09:46 +0200, Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
 
 John Reimer wrote:

 Well, he ain't sticking his head in the sand, that's for sure...

Then you didn't get my context... He is in one very important respect.
 BTW, did everyone just lose it? I'm feeling really strong about this
 subject, but I wouldn't dream about making such statements (meaning the
 entire range of statements) in this group. The linux part is somewhat
 more connected, but still.

By answering the above way, Lars, you became just as much a part of this conversation as everyone else. It's funny that one person stating his opinion is normal, while other's responding with their own is "losing it"? Very strange. -JJR

Maybe "losing it" were harsh, but I wasn't excluding bobef from my statements, either. Lars Ivar Igesund
May 18 2005
parent John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
 John Reimer wrote:

 
 Maybe "losing it" were harsh, but I wasn't excluding bobef from my
 statements, either.
 
 Lars Ivar Igesund

Point taken. I think I've had enough. -JJR
May 18 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Lionello Lunesu" <lio lunesu.removethis.com> writes:
 Hitler loves people like you.  It made his job easier.

That's out of line.
May 17 2005
parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
On Wed, 18 May 2005 09:35:57 +0300, Lionello Lunesu wrote:

 Hitler loves people like you.  It made his job easier.

That's out of line.

Why? Too severe? Too true? Maybe I should have made the comment less personal? Is using the word "Hitler" in a sentence too controversial? My comment was made merely to stress that bullies always love those that refuse to resist or can't resist for whatever reason, because that is the nature of bullying. History is full of examples; Hitler was by far not alone: see the legacy of Lenin, Stalin, and Pol Pot. See the horrors inflicted by the Hutu on Tutsi's in Africa. History is full of such abominations. So to make a blanket statement that military power is wrong is to be missing the point completely. Yes, war is evil; yes, military might is ugly. But we must think carefully before denigrating the military as an entity itself because while it is capable of great horror, it is also capable of great protection. With it people get slaughtered; without it, people get slaughtered. No country on this earth is innocent of lies, propaganda, and deceit. But the to the lay the blame on one organization is too think uncritically. The root of the problem goes much deeper. That said, bobef is the kind of person that speaks his mind... wouldn't he understand my reason for being sharply to the point? At any rate, perhaps this /whole/ discussion was out of line. - John
May 18 2005
parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <pan.2005.05.18.07.18.34.397934 yahoo.com>, John Reimer says...
That said, bobef is the kind of person that speaks his mind... wouldn't he
understand my reason for being sharply to the point?

I fully understand your point. But I don't agree. I don't want hitler to use my software nor the people who wants to stop him. Fair enough? And in fact hitler and his "friends" goes to the military category so military is protecting us from military, which is ITSELF. And what I don't want is any military. These that threatens us and these that protects us. Fair enough? And to say better - you can't fight any force. For every reaction their is counter reaction you know. Any force causes counter force. And if we see our army as "good" people on the other side see at as "bad". As long there is good there will be bad also and vice versa. What I want to say is just by fighting anyone you are causing more resistanse. Or you can't stop the war with war, you know? Any war/force/reaction/anything is causing counter war/force/reaction/anything. So I don't believe it is right to think that "our" military is good and we need it, and "theirs" is bad. And this will never stop of course... It is bit like sin... I mean double sin(double x) :).
At any rate, perhaps this /whole/ discussion was out of line.

- John

True, true :)
May 18 2005
parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
bobef wrote:
 In article <pan.2005.05.18.07.18.34.397934 yahoo.com>, John Reimer says...
 
That said, bobef is the kind of person that speaks his mind... wouldn't he
understand my reason for being sharply to the point?

I fully understand your point. But I don't agree. I don't want hitler to use my software nor the people who wants to stop him. Fair enough?

Yes, that is fair enough.
 And in fact hitler and his "friends" goes to the military category so military
 is protecting us from military, which is ITSELF. And what I don't want is any
 military. These that threatens us and these that protects us. Fair enough?

Yes, fair enough.
 And to say better - you can't fight any force. For every reaction their is
 counter reaction you know. Any force causes counter force. And if we see our
 army as "good" people on the other side see at as "bad". As long there is good
 there will be bad also and vice versa. What I want to say is just by fighting
 anyone you are causing more resistanse. Or you can't stop the war with war, you
 know? Any war/force/reaction/anything is causing counter
 war/force/reaction/anything. So I don't believe it is right to think that "our"
 military is good and we need it, and "theirs" is bad. And this will never stop
 of course... It is bit like sin... I mean double sin(double x) :).
 

This indeed is the difficulty of the whole situation. Resistance is never pleasant from whichever side you view it. We disagree on whether it is necessary or not. I think in some situations, resistance eventually is necessary, though I hate to see things ever come to that. It would be wonderful, if not wishful, if we could all just forget there was any such thing as war. -John
May 18 2005
parent bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d6f4p5$1ufm$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
It would be wonderful, if not wishful, if we could all just forget there 
was any such thing as war.

It think it is more like wishful, but I believe it is up to everyone of us to make it be, so this is the reason I wrote my "funny" license so "funny". At least we could try to minimize it :)
May 18 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Geert <gertje gertje.org> writes:
bobef wrote:
 In article <d6d21a$44p$1 digitaldaemon.com>, David Medlock says...
 
Just out of curiousity why would you wish to keep millitary users from 
using it?  (I cringe for the expected answer).

-DavidM

I don't like people dropping bombs and killing other people for money (i.e. no reason). I don't like people who doesn't use their brains for good. I don't like people who are destroying good and particulary our planet. I don't people making weapons instead of something good. I don't like people controlling other people with force. And some other things too. This all applies to militaries.

May 17 2005
prev sibling parent reply David Medlock <noone nowhere.com> writes:
bobef wrote:

 In article <d6d21a$44p$1 digitaldaemon.com>, David Medlock says...
 
Just out of curiousity why would you wish to keep millitary users from 
using it?  (I cringe for the expected answer).

-DavidM

I don't like people dropping bombs and killing other people for money (i.e. no reason). I don't like people who doesn't use their brains for good. I don't like people who are destroying good and particulary our planet. I don't people making weapons instead of something good. I don't like people controlling other people with force. And some other things too. This all applies to militaries.

Well I guess we are all young and ignorant at some point. Perhaps one day bobef will realize that military force is exactly what allows him to post such nonsense and to decide what license to apply to his property. Maybe at some point in the future bobef will lose the freedoms he takes for granted, or perhaps just begin appreciate the presence of people better than himself who chose to defend his liberties. I will leave you on your journey down that river in Egypt... -DavidM
May 17 2005
parent bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d6d7ko$8ru$2 digitaldaemon.com>, David Medlock says...
(sorry for the diversion here)

Well I guess we are all young and ignorant at some point.

Perhaps one day bobef will realize that military force is exactly what 
allows him to post such nonsense and to decide what license to apply to 
his property.

Maybe at some point in the future bobef will lose the freedoms he takes 
for granted, or perhaps just begin appreciate the presence of people 
better than himself who chose to defend his liberties.

I will leave you on your journey down that river in Egypt...
-DavidM

Maaan you sound so like an american to me... so brainwashed and naive...
May 17 2005
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
bobef wrote:
 In article <d6d0vg$34v$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
 
Nice looking project... but your license is totally bizarre... and would 
alienate every potential user on this planet in some form or another, 
including yourself -- see "unwanted users."

Yes I know :( I will rewrite the license these days. I just wrote some things I don't like and I named people doing them "unwanted users" :) But it is free for anybody you know. I don't want to stop anyone from using it... Exept military of course :)

What's so sad is that an appreciation for your skills can be lost so quickly when you introduce philosophical opinions like this into your work. Poof! Suddenly the camaraderie of the developer world is gone. It's best to stay away from displaying your opinions so readily. You might find people more receptive if you kept such opinions for more discerning occasions. I really think you are setting yourself up for disaster. I hope you are thick skinned because your introduction went very badly. -JJR
May 17 2005
parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d6d8kq$a2s$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
bobef wrote:
 In article <d6d0vg$34v$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
 
Nice looking project... but your license is totally bizarre... and would 
alienate every potential user on this planet in some form or another, 
including yourself -- see "unwanted users."

Yes I know :( I will rewrite the license these days. I just wrote some things I don't like and I named people doing them "unwanted users" :) But it is free for anybody you know. I don't want to stop anyone from using it... Exept military of course :)

What's so sad is that an appreciation for your skills can be lost so quickly when you introduce philosophical opinions like this into your work. Poof! Suddenly the camaraderie of the developer world is gone. It's best to stay away from displaying your opinions so readily. You might find people more receptive if you kept such opinions for more discerning occasions. I really think you are setting yourself up for disaster. I hope you are thick skinned because your introduction went very badly. -JJR

Telling my opinion is important for me. I am what I am because I have one. I don't care if someone likes it or not. I do this program because *I* need it. I will be more than happy if it usefull for someone else and will be happy to make it suitable for more people. But if my program tomorow is used to write new NASA (or whatever) software that will guide their atom bombs I prefer to smash my computer and never develop anything again!
May 17 2005
next sibling parent reply "Charlie" <charles jwavro.com> writes:
 But if my program tomorow is used to write new NASA
 (or whatever) software that will guide their atom bombs I prefer to smash

 computer and never develop anything again!

Hmm, NASA generally does not make bombs , nor fire them. If you are going for the 'down with america' theme , at least get your facts straight :). Where are you from by chance ? Charlie "bobef" <bobef_member pathlink.com> wrote in message news:d6dljv$m99$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <d6d8kq$a2s$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
bobef wrote:
 In article <d6d0vg$34v$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...

Nice looking project... but your license is totally bizarre... and




alienate every potential user on this planet in some form or another,
including yourself -- see "unwanted users."

Yes I know :( I will rewrite the license these days. I just wrote some



 don't like and I named people doing them "unwanted users" :) But it is



 anybody you know. I don't want to stop anyone from using it... Exept



 course :)

What's so sad is that an appreciation for your skills can be lost so quickly when you introduce philosophical opinions like this into your work. Poof! Suddenly the camaraderie of the developer world is gone. It's best to stay away from displaying your opinions so readily. You might find people more receptive if you kept such opinions for more discerning occasions. I really think you are setting yourself up for disaster. I hope you are thick skinned because your introduction went very badly. -JJR

Telling my opinion is important for me. I am what I am because I have one.

 don't care if someone likes it or not. I do this program because *I* need

 will be more than happy if it usefull for someone else and will be happy

 it suitable for more people. But if my program tomorow is used to write

 (or whatever) software that will guide their atom bombs I prefer to smash

 computer and never develop anything again!

May 17 2005
parent bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d6dn4s$nme$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Charlie says...
 But if my program tomorow is used to write new NASA
 (or whatever) software that will guide their atom bombs I prefer to smash

 computer and never develop anything again!

Hmm, NASA generally does not make bombs , nor fire them. If you are going for the 'down with america' theme , at least get your facts straight :). Where are you from by chance ? Charlie

Yes I know they don't make fire arms or stuff. They make other things that helps military. But NASA or whatever. Other things I don't like about NASA: Their rockets burns so much of my air, ozone and stuff. Also the money they give to make useless pictures of moon or mars and make single serving rockets and stuff they could do something really good for humanity rather than sending useless toys that makes pictures of a useless planets. Go to the desert and take pictures. It will be cheaper and look the same. And the of both pictures will be equally useless... I am from Bulgaria but I don't think that makes any difference. I say things agains america but it is wrong to talk about all people there equally and am sorry about that...
May 17 2005
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:53:19 +0000, bobef wrote:

 
 Telling my opinion is important for me. I am what I am because I have one. I
 don't care if someone likes it or not. I do this program because *I* need it. I
 will be more than happy if it usefull for someone else and will be happy to
make
 it suitable for more people. But if my program tomorow is used to write new
NASA
 (or whatever) software that will guide their atom bombs I prefer to smash my
 computer and never develop anything again!

That's fine. I just hope you willing to accept then that other's feel it to be just as important to respond with theirs. BTW smashing your computer and never developing again isn't such a bad idea. The people who make your computer probably also sell hardware to military, war, nuclear plants... etc. Its a sad world. And you are contributing to it just as much as you paid to keep those animals in the cage at the zoo (see forum). I have my pet peeves with this world too. I choose when and where I talk about them. To your credit, most of this "off-topic" discussion would have stayed on your site if you had not announced your new ide here. -JJR
May 17 2005
parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <pan.2005.05.18.01.01.57.147277 yahoo.com>, John Reimer says...
That's fine.  I just hope you willing to accept then that other's feel it
to be just as important to respond with theirs.

BTW smashing your computer and never developing again isn't such a bad
idea.  The people who make your computer probably also sell hardware to
military, war, nuclear plants... etc.  Its a sad world.  And you are
contributing to it just as much as you paid to keep those animals in the
cage at the zoo (see forum).

it is sad world. Maybe if today I'm contributong to it tomorow I will not but just because today I think the way I think. You have to start from somewhere don't you think? And I can't start when I'm 10 years old (this when I got my first computer)... So atleast I'm at some point and I work on myself to stop contributing to make the world sad at it is today. Most people doesn't seem to care at all so I think it is good that I started...
I have my pet peeves with this world too.  I choose when and where I talk
about them.  To your credit, most of this "off-topic" discussion would
have stayed on your site if you had not announced your new ide here.

funny this is I didn't get a signle response about my software just for my opinions for the world... And actually I announced my IDE not my license.
May 18 2005
next sibling parent John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
On Wed, 18 May 2005 07:08:06 +0000, bobef wrote:

 In article <pan.2005.05.18.01.01.57.147277 yahoo.com>, John Reimer says...
That's fine.  I just hope you willing to accept then that other's feel it
to be just as important to respond with theirs.

BTW smashing your computer and never developing again isn't such a bad
idea.  The people who make your computer probably also sell hardware to
military, war, nuclear plants... etc.  Its a sad world.  And you are
contributing to it just as much as you paid to keep those animals in the
cage at the zoo (see forum).

it is sad world. Maybe if today I'm contributong to it tomorow I will not but just because today I think the way I think. You have to start from somewhere don't you think? And I can't start when I'm 10 years old (this when I got my first computer)... So atleast I'm at some point and I work on myself to stop contributing to make the world sad at it is today. Most people doesn't seem to care at all so I think it is good that I started...

Fair enough.
I have my pet peeves with this world too.  I choose when and where I talk
about them.  To your credit, most of this "off-topic" discussion would
have stayed on your site if you had not announced your new ide here.

funny this is I didn't get a signle response about my software just for my opinions for the world... And actually I announced my IDE not my license.

He he... didn't take long to get a reaction, I guess. At least you got a thorough review of your opinions. ;-) All the best, John
May 18 2005
prev sibling parent xs0 <xs0 xs0.com> writes:
 Well I thought this was the place to announce D-related things, isn't it? The
 funny this is I didn't get a signle response about my software just for my
 opinions for the world... And actually I announced my IDE not my license.

I've been trying to download it, but it managed 3k in 12 hours :/ BTW, while I sympathize with your view of the world, you really should change the licence - by working anywhere, you're paying taxes, so are indirectly working for the government, eh? :) xs0
May 18 2005
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
bobef wrote:
 I've been doin this for some time. Now I feel like I'm ready to release
 something. I've set a few pages about it at http://www.lessequal.com/akide. I
 will be glad to get some feedback.
 
 

How about some useful comments for a change? ;-) Looking at akIDE... you've done a fine job (don't let it go to your head, though:-) ). You obviously put a lot of effort in putting it together. Very nice work. I'll test it more by and by. One problem I did discover quite quickly, though, had to do with the mouse wheel. I opened up a d file in a new window and tried to scroll down with the mouse wheel. It worked well until the scrollbar hit the end of the file. At that point the file jumps back to the top again. It's quite annoying. Maybe it has to do with an event that the scintilla control is receiving or not receiving. -JJR
May 18 2005
parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d6fah9$233q$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
One problem I did discover quite quickly, though, had to do with the 
mouse wheel.  I opened up a d file in a new window and tried to scroll 
down with the mouse wheel.  It worked well until the scrollbar hit the 
end of the file.  At that point the file jumps back to the top again. 
It's quite annoying.  Maybe it has to do with an event that the 
scintilla control is receiving or not receiving.

I know that. Thank you anyway. This problem is mentioned in the ussues section. It is very annoying really. I haven't found out why this happens yet but I will fix it. And it wasn't allways like that.
May 18 2005
parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
bobef wrote:
 In article <d6fah9$233q$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
 
One problem I did discover quite quickly, though, had to do with the 
mouse wheel.  I opened up a d file in a new window and tried to scroll 
down with the mouse wheel.  It worked well until the scrollbar hit the 
end of the file.  At that point the file jumps back to the top again. 
It's quite annoying.  Maybe it has to do with an event that the 
scintilla control is receiving or not receiving.

I know that. Thank you anyway. This problem is mentioned in the ussues section. It is very annoying really. I haven't found out why this happens yet but I will fix it. And it wasn't allways like that.

Oops.. so it is. I'll remember to check there first next time.
May 18 2005
parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
Anyway it is fixed now along with few other things. I will upload it after 10-20
minutes.

In article <d6fi24$2dcv$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
bobef wrote:
 In article <d6fah9$233q$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
 
One problem I did discover quite quickly, though, had to do with the 
mouse wheel.  I opened up a d file in a new window and tried to scroll 
down with the mouse wheel.  It worked well until the scrollbar hit the 
end of the file.  At that point the file jumps back to the top again. 
It's quite annoying.  Maybe it has to do with an event that the 
scintilla control is receiving or not receiving.

I know that. Thank you anyway. This problem is mentioned in the ussues section. It is very annoying really. I haven't found out why this happens yet but I will fix it. And it wasn't allways like that.

Oops.. so it is. I'll remember to check there first next time.

May 18 2005
parent reply James Bruce <James_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d6fisi$2fbb$1 digitaldaemon.com>, bobef says...
Anyway it is fixed now along with few other things. I will upload it after 10-20
minutes.

In article <d6fi24$2dcv$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
bobef wrote:
 In article <d6fah9$233q$1 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
 
One problem I did discover quite quickly, though, had to do with the 
mouse wheel.  I opened up a d file in a new window and tried to scroll 
down with the mouse wheel.  It worked well until the scrollbar hit the 
end of the file.  At that point the file jumps back to the top again. 
It's quite annoying.  Maybe it has to do with an event that the 
scintilla control is receiving or not receiving.

I know that. Thank you anyway. This problem is mentioned in the ussues section. It is very annoying really. I haven't found out why this happens yet but I will fix it. And it wasn't allways like that.

Oops.. so it is. I'll remember to check there first next time.


Downloads great! It just doesn't run on Windows 98! I was hoping to use this to teach an after school class on programming D. Our inner city students use recycled computers with various versions of windows.
May 18 2005
parent reply J C Calvarese <technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
In article <d6g7vn$7aa$1 digitaldaemon.com>, James Bruce says...
Downloads great! It just doesn't run on Windows 98!

I was hoping to use this to teach an after school class on programming D. Our
inner city students use recycled computers with various versions of windows.

I glanced at the source, but I didn't look at it long enough to see anything that would prevent it from running on Windows 98. Did the program about without any kind of error message? Do you have some kind of idea what went wrong? It might be something easy to fix or work-around. For example, I know there's certain function related to long filenames that isn't available on Win98. On the other hand since you're looking for an editor to use, you might be able to find a suitable one here: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport Not many of them support D by default, but usually they can be customized with a D keyword list (and other options can be provided, too). There are a lot of options, but some work better than other. I'm sure at least one of them works on every version of Windows that you'd run into (well, at least Win95+). For example, I've never had a problem using Jens File Editor on Win98, WinME, Win2000, or WinXP. I haven't ever set it up to automatically build D projects (it can be customized in this area), but then I still like batch files. I prefer it because it's light-weight and easy to install. jcc7
May 18 2005
next sibling parent James Bruce <James_member pathlink.com> writes:
I glanced at the source, but I didn't look at it long enough to see anything
that would prevent it from running on Windows 98. 

Did the program about without any kind of error message? Do you have some kind
of idea what went wrong? It might be something easy to fix or work-around. For
example, I know there's certain function related to long filenames that isn't
available on Win98.

Just a message box saying it won't run on this version of Windows and to please upgrade. I doubt most of my student's machines have enougth memory, let alone enough cpu speed to run XP. I know the free Borland 5.5 C/C++ compiler has issues with older versions of Windows and you have to set a version switch to get your compiled programs to run.
On the other hand since you're looking for an editor to use, you might be able
to find a suitable one here:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport

Thanks!
May 18 2005
prev sibling parent bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
SUBSYSTEM WINDOWS,5.0

can this be the problem?


In article <d6g9is$8m2$1 digitaldaemon.com>, J C Calvarese says...
In article <d6g7vn$7aa$1 digitaldaemon.com>, James Bruce says...
Downloads great! It just doesn't run on Windows 98!

I was hoping to use this to teach an after school class on programming D. Our
inner city students use recycled computers with various versions of windows.

I glanced at the source, but I didn't look at it long enough to see anything that would prevent it from running on Windows 98. Did the program about without any kind of error message? Do you have some kind of idea what went wrong? It might be something easy to fix or work-around. For example, I know there's certain function related to long filenames that isn't available on Win98. On the other hand since you're looking for an editor to use, you might be able to find a suitable one here: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport Not many of them support D by default, but usually they can be customized with a D keyword list (and other options can be provided, too). There are a lot of options, but some work better than other. I'm sure at least one of them works on every version of Windows that you'd run into (well, at least Win95+). For example, I've never had a problem using Jens File Editor on Win98, WinME, Win2000, or WinXP. I haven't ever set it up to automatically build D projects (it can be customized in this area), but then I still like batch files. I prefer it because it's light-weight and easy to install. jcc7

May 19 2005