digitalmars.D.announce - GDC 0.19

reply David Friedman <dvdfrdmn users.ess-eff.net> writes:
Binaries are now available!

Download here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154306

Release Notes for 0.19
     * Fixed D Bugzilla bugs 141(gdc), 157, 162, 164, 171, 174, 175,
192, 229
     * Applied Dave Fladebo's suggestion for -O3 in gdmd
     * Updated to DMD 0.162
     * The version symbol for FreeBSD is now "freebsd"
     * Enabled std.loader for FreeBSD
     * Implement offsetof in assembler
     * Support building with Apple's GCC (4.0 only)
     * Fix parallel builds
Jul 12 2006
next sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek nomail.afraid.org> writes:
      * Fixed D Bugzilla bugs 141(gdc), 157, 162, 164, 171, 174, 175,
 192, 229
      * Applied Dave Fladebo's suggestion for -O3 in gdmd
      * Updated to DMD 0.162
      * The version symbol for FreeBSD is now "freebsd"
      * Enabled std.loader for FreeBSD
      * Implement offsetof in assembler
      * Support building with Apple's GCC (4.0 only)
      * Fix parallel builds
I've never used your GDC but that doesn't stop me from saying how much I appreciate your work in this. I know that it is *not a trivial* task by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks, David. -- Derek (skype: derek.j.parnell) Melbourne, Australia "Down with mediocrity!" 12/07/2006 5:51:43 PM
Jul 12 2006
parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:
     * Fixed D Bugzilla bugs 141(gdc), 157, 162, 164, 171, 174, 175,
192, 229
     * Applied Dave Fladebo's suggestion for -O3 in gdmd
     * Updated to DMD 0.162
     * The version symbol for FreeBSD is now "freebsd"
     * Enabled std.loader for FreeBSD
     * Implement offsetof in assembler
     * Support building with Apple's GCC (4.0 only)
     * Fix parallel builds
I've never used your GDC but that doesn't stop me from saying how much I appreciate your work in this. I know that it is *not a trivial* task by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks, David.
Fully agree
Jul 12 2006
parent Jeremy <Jeremy_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e92iqq$6jq$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Hasan Aljudy says...
Derek Parnell wrote:
     * Fixed D Bugzilla bugs 141(gdc), 157, 162, 164, 171, 174, 175,
192, 229
     * Applied Dave Fladebo's suggestion for -O3 in gdmd
     * Updated to DMD 0.162
     * The version symbol for FreeBSD is now "freebsd"
     * Enabled std.loader for FreeBSD
     * Implement offsetof in assembler
     * Support building with Apple's GCC (4.0 only)
     * Fix parallel builds
I've never used your GDC but that doesn't stop me from saying how much I appreciate your work in this. I know that it is *not a trivial* task by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks, David.
Fully agree
Agree and thanks David! I may switch over to GDC just for the GDB and objdump support with MinGW :) - jeremy
Jul 12 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
David Friedman wrote:

 Binaries are now available!

 Download here:
 http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154306
Excellent work! Since there is now full support for Mac OS X 10.4 (GCC 4.0.1) and Windows MinGW (GCC 3.4.5) directly "from the source" so to speak, there is less need for the gdcmac and gdcwin projects... Will do some experiments, see if this can replace my packages ? I can build another version of the Mac and Win binaries, just wondered if there is any need for them to exist any longer... And I needed to document the package build process anyway :-) --anders BTW; This file seems to have gotten the wrong suffix: gdc-0.19-mingw.tar.bz2: gzip compressed data, from Unix
Jul 12 2006
next sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 David Friedman wrote:

 Binaries are now available!

 Download here:
 http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154306
Excellent work! Since there is now full support for Mac OS X 10.4 (GCC 4.0.1) and Windows MinGW (GCC 3.4.5) directly "from the source" so to speak, there is less need for the gdcmac and gdcwin projects... Will do some experiments, see if this can replace my packages ? I can build another version of the Mac and Win binaries, just wondered if there is any need for them to exist any longer... And I needed to document the package build process anyway :-) --anders BTW; This file seems to have gotten the wrong suffix: gdc-0.19-mingw.tar.bz2: gzip compressed data, from Unix
Do you have instructions on how to set up GDC for windows? I would like to try it out sometime. Thanks David and Anders! ~ Clay
Jul 12 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent David Friedman <dvdfrdmn users.ess-eff.net> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 David Friedman wrote:

 Binaries are now available!

 Download here:
 http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154306
Excellent work! Since there is now full support for Mac OS X 10.4 (GCC 4.0.1) and Windows MinGW (GCC 3.4.5) directly "from the source" so to speak, there is less need for the gdcmac and gdcwin projects... Will do some experiments, see if this can replace my packages ? I can build another version of the Mac and Win binaries, just wondered if there is any need for them to exist any longer...
Maybe not the Windows package, but my MacOS package doesn't have an installer and the Xcode integration info isn't there.
 And I needed to document the package build process anyway :-)

 --anders

 BTW; This file seems to have gotten the wrong suffix:
 gdc-0.19-mingw.tar.bz2: gzip compressed data, from Unix
It's fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out. David
Jul 12 2006
prev sibling parent Fredrik Olsson <peylow gmail.com> writes:
Anders F Björklund skrev:
 David Friedman wrote:

 Binaries are now available!

 Download here:
 http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154306
Excellent work! Since there is now full support for Mac OS X 10.4 (GCC 4.0.1) and Windows MinGW (GCC 3.4.5) directly "from the source" so to speak, there is less need for the gdcmac and gdcwin projects... Will do some experiments, see if this can replace my packages ? I can build another version of the Mac and Win binaries, just wondered if there is any need for them to exist any longer... And I needed to document the package build process anyway :-)
Please do continue with gdcmac, it adds greatly to my experience. I just love to only need to worry about the actual task, not how to be able to start tackling the task. I think there is need for gdcmac, gdcwin, and probably packages for say Ubuntu/Debian, and a few other linux distros as well. The easier, and more "like the rest" it is to install gdc, the more likely that even more people pick it up and use it. // Fredrik Olsson

prev sibling next sibling parent Walter Bright <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
David Friedman wrote:
 Binaries are now available!

 Download here:
 http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154306

 Release Notes for 0.19
     * Fixed D Bugzilla bugs 141(gdc), 157, 162, 164, 171, 174, 175, 192,
 229
     * Applied Dave Fladebo's suggestion for -O3 in gdmd
     * Updated to DMD 0.162
     * The version symbol for FreeBSD is now "freebsd"
     * Enabled std.loader for FreeBSD
     * Implement offsetof in assembler
     * Support building with Apple's GCC (4.0 only)
     * Fix parallel builds
Thank-you, David.
Jul 12 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Andrei Khropov" <andkhropov nospam_mtu-net.ru> writes:
David Friedman wrote:

 Binaries are now available!

 Download here:
 http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154306

 Release Notes for 0.19
    * Fixed D Bugzilla bugs 141(gdc), 157, 162, 164, 171, 174, 175, 192, 229
     * Applied Dave Fladebo's suggestion for -O3 in gdmd
     * Updated to DMD 0.162
     * The version symbol for FreeBSD is now "freebsd"
     * Enabled std.loader for FreeBSD
     * Implement offsetof in assembler
     * Support building with Apple's GCC (4.0 only)
     * Fix parallel builds
Thank you very much --
Jul 12 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
David Friedman wrote:

 Binaries are now available!
No more building from source? Fantastic! I suppose this means different binaries for different versions of GCC? By the way, thanks a ton for your work on GDC. Sean
Jul 12 2006
Sean Kelly wrote:
 David Friedman wrote:

 Binaries are now available!
No more building from source? Fantastic! I suppose this means different binaries for different versions of GCC? By the way, thanks a ton for your work on GDC. Sean
Currently, I'm only building the most recent GCC version for a given target. If I do more than that, I might need another hosting service. David
Jul 12 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "John Reimer" <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:47:33 -0700, David Friedman  =

<dvdfrdmn users.ess-eff.net> wrote:

 Binaries are now available!

 Download here:
 http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3D154306

 Release Notes for 0.19
      * Fixed D Bugzilla bugs 141(gdc), 157, 162, 164, 171, 174, 175,  =
 192, 229
      * Applied Dave Fladebo's suggestion for -O3 in gdmd
      * Updated to DMD 0.162
      * The version symbol for FreeBSD is now "freebsd"
      * Enabled std.loader for FreeBSD
      * Implement offsetof in assembler
      * Support building with Apple's GCC (4.0 only)
      * Fix parallel builds
Excellent work! Thank you, David! Is it possible to build a 64-bit version on any platform yet? I realize= = this may be a feature for the future. Just haven't heard much discussio= n = on that lately. Thanks again. I'm eager to give gdc a try. -JJR
Jul 12 2006
parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
Jul 13 2006
parent jcc7 <jcc7_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <pifho3-487.ln1 birke.kuehne.cn>, Thomas Kuehne says...

 Is it possible to build a 64-bit version on any platform yet?  I realize
 this may be a feature for the future.  Just haven't heard much discussion
 on that lately.

 Thanks again.  I'm eager to give gdc a try.
Building a 64-bit version on Linux isn't impossible, for some details have a look at "building GDC-0.18 on an AMD64" in D.gnu (news:2g83l3-mku.ln1 birke.kuehne.cn)
Web URLs if someone wants them: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/D/gnu/1879.html http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D.gnu/1879 (Google is awesome when I know exactly what I'm looking for! It's awesome even if I don't quite know what I'm looking for!)
However gdc can currently only produce 32-bit object files.

Thomas
jcc7
Jul 13 2006
prev sibling parent B Ross <cyberneticwraith phreaker.net> writes:
David Friedman wrote:

 Binaries are now available!

 Download here:
 http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=154306

 Release Notes for 0.19
     * Fixed D Bugzilla bugs 141(gdc), 157, 162, 164, 171, 174, 175, 192,
 229
     * Applied Dave Fladebo's suggestion for -O3 in gdmd
     * Updated to DMD 0.162
     * The version symbol for FreeBSD is now "freebsd"
     * Enabled std.loader for FreeBSD
     * Implement offsetof in assembler
     * Support building with Apple's GCC (4.0 only)
     * Fix parallel builds
Thanks!!!
Sep 14 2006