www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - Valgrind

reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Valgrind (http://www.valgrind.org/) - a suite of tools for
debugging and profiling programs under Linux - now supports
D code compiled with debug symbols.

Inital support was added in revision 5823 and is likely to be
included in valgrind-3.2.0.

download:
http://www.valgrind.org/downloads/repository.html

Thomas


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iD8DBQFEP2yl3w+/yD4P9tIRAjy9AKDB1zH1eaAavvUjAjfp68WELkOdHwCfZBZm
PnMhukeskGqaNaTe0vxRTdA=
=8rwV
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Apr 14 2006
next sibling parent reply Charles <noone nowhere.com> writes:
Very cool!  This works with GDC & DMD ?

Charlie
Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1
 
 Valgrind (http://www.valgrind.org/) - a suite of tools for
 debugging and profiling programs under Linux - now supports
 D code compiled with debug symbols.
 
 Inital support was added in revision 5823 and is likely to be
 included in valgrind-3.2.0.
 
 download:
 http://www.valgrind.org/downloads/repository.html
 
 Thomas
 
 
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
 iD8DBQFEP2yl3w+/yD4P9tIRAjy9AKDB1zH1eaAavvUjAjfp68WELkOdHwCfZBZm
 PnMhukeskGqaNaTe0vxRTdA=
 =8rwV
 -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Apr 14 2006
parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Charles schrieb am 2006-04-14:
 Very cool!  This works with GDC & DMD ?

Yes. Background: They did a major rewrite of the handling of debugging symbols. Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iD8DBQFEQlx13w+/yD4P9tIRAopzAJ9TFghR2N0dDPHfa7nuIIGeETk56wCfb9lf cRnLxfwIbcMJ+4/8vT7MVjc= =wEmy -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Apr 16 2006
parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1
 
 Charles schrieb am 2006-04-14:
 
Very cool!  This works with GDC & DMD ?

Yes. Background: They did a major rewrite of the handling of debugging symbols. Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iD8DBQFEQlx13w+/yD4P9tIRAopzAJ9TFghR2N0dDPHfa7nuIIGeETk56wCfb9lf cRnLxfwIbcMJ+4/8vT7MVjc= =wEmy -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Debugger? nice! does it work in a windows? is there a way to get it working on windows?
Apr 16 2006
parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hasan Aljudy schrieb am 2006-04-16:
 Debugger? nice!
 does it work in a windows? is there a way to get it working on windows?

Valgrind isn't a "stepping" debugger - it is usually used to profile cache usage, profile the heap, detect memory leaks and detect use of uninitialised values. Only available on Posix systems and no, Windows isn't a Posix system. Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iD8DBQFEQ5ZA3w+/yD4P9tIRAmKZAJ9t68xMPXtKlFUKO42Yih/bXf2qHgCeMosL zWb9TMEKSQSfA9G8B7ww7jQ= =ikAB -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Apr 17 2006
parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1
 
 Hasan Aljudy schrieb am 2006-04-16:
 Debugger? nice!
 does it work in a windows? is there a way to get it working on windows?

Valgrind isn't a "stepping" debugger - it is usually used to profile cache usage, profile the heap, detect memory leaks and detect use of uninitialised values. Only available on Posix systems and no, Windows isn't a Posix system.

Well, there's always Windows Services for Unix, but as MS has dropped support for it recently it isn't a terribly attractive option. Sean
Apr 17 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
This is great news :)

Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1
 
 Valgrind (http://www.valgrind.org/) - a suite of tools for
 debugging and profiling programs under Linux - now supports
 D code compiled with debug symbols.
 
 Inital support was added in revision 5823 and is likely to be
 included in valgrind-3.2.0.
 
 download:
 http://www.valgrind.org/downloads/repository.html
 
 Thomas
 
 
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
 iD8DBQFEP2yl3w+/yD4P9tIRAjy9AKDB1zH1eaAavvUjAjfp68WELkOdHwCfZBZm
 PnMhukeskGqaNaTe0vxRTdA=
 =8rwV
 -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Apr 14 2006
prev sibling parent Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Thomas Kuehne schrieb am 2006-04-14:
 Valgrind (http://www.valgrind.org/) - a suite of tools for
 debugging and profiling programs under Linux - now supports
 D code compiled with debug symbols.

 Inital support was added in revision 5823 and is likely to be
 included in valgrind-3.2.0.

 download:
 http://www.valgrind.org/downloads/repository.html

update: Basic demangling of D symbols is now supported. Sample: | Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s) | at 0x8055315: uint gcx.Gcx.fullcollect(void *) (gcx.d:59) | by 0x8054EED: uint gcx.Gcx.fullcollectshell() (gcx.d:1382) | by 0x8053FFC: void * gcx.GC.mallocNoSync(uint) (gcx.d:272) | by 0x8053F1E: void * gcx.GC.malloc(uint) (gcx.d:224) | by 0x80540E0: void * gcx.GC.calloc(uint, uint) (gcx.d:320) | by 0x80539EC: _d_arraysetlength (gc.d:403) | by 0x8049E25: void dstress.run.m.memory_management_04.C.func() (memory_management_04.d:15) | by 0x8049E5A: _Dmain (memory_management_04.d:24) | by 0x804AC5A: main (internal/dmain2.d:92) See: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=125728 Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iD8DBQFEQ5nH3w+/yD4P9tIRAmjSAJ40KAx0H3r95/3xCLqiEaZtZ6vCcACeNwz8 Csg/G/HD9YVQRE9y/ffEX7A= =uBck -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Apr 17 2006