digitalmars.D.announce - No more lessequal software

reply bobef <bobef lessequal.com> writes:
I am ceasing the development of akide and everything. I've published my
latest developments of akide because it is developed with DWT and
contains (in my opinion) some fresh ideas, so maybe it could be useful
for someone. Here:
http://www.lessequal.com/software

My sincere apologies to the whole D community for my fail to contribute
to this great language and community in the future.

-bobef
Mar 10 2006
next sibling parent reply Tom <Tom_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dusj1a$23qh$1 digitaldaemon.com>, bobef says...
I am ceasing the development of akide and everything. I've published my
latest developments of akide because it is developed with DWT and
contains (in my opinion) some fresh ideas, so maybe it could be useful
for someone. Here:
http://www.lessequal.com/software

My sincere apologies to the whole D community for my fail to contribute
to this great language and community in the future.
Maybe, just maybe, you could contribute to, say, Poseidon, or another one (no matter which but we should peek one). IMHO we should unite our strengths to make a success in the field. There's more than one project for the same thing and everyone of them lacks features and are in beta (and will be unfinished and abandoned eventually). D community is still small to be so disperse. Tom;
Mar 10 2006
parent reply bobef <bobef lessequal.com> writes:
Tom wrote:
 In article <dusj1a$23qh$1 digitaldaemon.com>, bobef says...
 I am ceasing the development of akide and everything. I've published my
 latest developments of akide because it is developed with DWT and
 contains (in my opinion) some fresh ideas, so maybe it could be useful
 for someone. Here:
 http://www.lessequal.com/software

 My sincere apologies to the whole D community for my fail to contribute
 to this great language and community in the future.
Maybe, just maybe, you could contribute to, say, Poseidon, or another one (no matter which but we should peek one). IMHO we should unite our strengths to make a success in the field. There's more than one project for the same thing and everyone of them lacks features and are in beta (and will be unfinished and abandoned eventually). D community is still small to be so disperse. Tom;
Maybe I didn't say it clear. I won't write software anymore (currently for fun, very soon at all)...
Mar 10 2006
next sibling parent reply Tom <Tom_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dutpd1$1c1m$1 digitaldaemon.com>, bobef says...
Tom wrote:
[...]

Ough! I'm sorry to hear that! I wonder why but I suppose that's personal... Good luck Tom;
Mar 11 2006
 Tom wrote:
[...]

Go to his site to find out why. I feel for bobef. He's thinking about things that people rarely want to think about. My hope is that his search leads him to the right path (I believe there is only one). There are many "answers" in this world that do not satisfy the question. The task is not easy and few are sensitive to it. -JJR
Mar 11 2006
next sibling parent Tom <Tom_member pathlink.com> writes:
 Tom wrote:
[...]

Luckily I believe I'm very sensitive to this and I suffer for the people (beloved people) who doesn't even do the slightest effort to see beyond their noses, hence they doesn't share my philosophy of life. I've learned to live with that but I've certainly not lose my sensitiveness. Sorry about the possible ambiguity in the former paragraph but it's very difficult to me to express deep thoughts in English (since Spanish is my everyday language) :) Tom;
Mar 11 2006
prev sibling parent reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
John Reimer says...
 Tom wrote:
[...]

Well said, JJR. josé
Mar 11 2006
parent bobef <bobef lessequal.com> writes:
jicman wrote:
 John Reimer says...
 Tom wrote:
[...]

Yes, I couldn't say it better.
Mar 12 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"bobef" <bobef lessequal.com> wrote in message
news:dutpd1$1c1m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Maybe I didn't say it clear. I won't write software anymore (currently for
 fun, very soon at all)...
I'm sorry you're going. I read your web site, but don't understand your reason.
Mar 11 2006
next sibling parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 "bobef" <bobef lessequal.com> wrote in message
 news:dutpd1$1c1m$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Maybe I didn't say it clear. I won't write software anymore (currently for
fun, very soon at all)...
I'm sorry you're going. I read your web site, but don't understand your reason.
I didn't get it either. All I understood is that he wants to do other things with his life than coding, and/or he feels he's wasting his time with coding.
Mar 12 2006
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Walter Bright wrote:
 "bobef" <bobef lessequal.com> wrote in message
 news:dutpd1$1c1m$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Maybe I didn't say it clear. I won't write software anymore
 (currently for fun, very soon at all)...
I'm sorry you're going. I read your web site, but don't understand your reason.
I didn't get it either. All I understood is that he wants to do other things with his life than coding, and/or he feels he's wasting his time with coding.
I could say much more simpler way but it wouldn't be so correct (also it is still true). The coding has been addiction for me and addictions are bad.
Mar 12 2006
parent reply =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:
 "bobef" <bobef lessequal.com> wrote in message
 news:dutpd1$1c1m$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Maybe I didn't say it clear. I won't write software anymore
 (currently for fun, very soon at all)...
I'm sorry you're going. I read your web site, but don't understand your reason.
I didn't get it either. All I understood is that he wants to do other things with his life than coding, and/or he feels he's wasting his time with coding.
I could say much more simpler way but it wouldn't be so correct (also it is still true). The coding has been addiction for me and addictions are bad.
This is true, do you know about ibogaine ??? http://www.ibogaine.co.uk/ibogaine6.htm
Mar 12 2006
parent reply John Reimer <John_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <pan.2006.03.12.19.30.26.988373 sneakemail.com>,
=?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= says...
This is true, do you know about ibogaine  ???

http://www.ibogaine.co.uk/ibogaine6.htm
Trading one addiction for another is rarely a good idea. The cold hard fact of the matter is that the only way to trully break an addiction of any kind is through personal effort mixed with blood, sweat, and tears. Without a will to win, there is no winning. That's why addictions are so horrid for us humans: they tend to pick on the weakest part of our natures. There /is/ a way out, though. Besides, I don't think coding addiction can ever be trully cured. Does anybody here know of a successful case? ;) -JJR
Mar 12 2006
next sibling parent Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 In article <pan.2006.03.12.19.30.26.988373 sneakemail.com>,
 =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= says...

This is true, do you know about ibogaine  ?
<Snip>
 The cold hard fact of
 the matter is that the only way to trully break an addiction of any kind is
 through personal effort mixed with blood, sweat, and tears.
You speak wisdom! :) That's also the only true way to achieve the great goals. (sorry for my poor english, I wish I could find better words!)
Mar 12 2006
prev sibling parent reply =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:
 In article <pan.2006.03.12.19.30.26.988373 sneakemail.com>,
 =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= says...
This is true, do you know about ibogaine  ???

http://www.ibogaine.co.uk/ibogaine6.htm
Trading one addiction for another is rarely a good idea.
Here you assume without reason that you get addicted to ibogaine. Do you know that ?

I think that mind programing is like ordinary programing some use brute force others use a smart algorithm. I prefers to use vipassana meditation myself. See http://www.dhamma.org/
Knud Sørensen wrote:
 I think that mind programing is like ordinary programing
 some use brute force others use a smart algorithm.
 I prefers to use vipassana meditation myself.
A so called "smart algorithm" may work once here and there, but in the long run, you have to change your way of thinking; you have to change yourself, and it's not easy. Taking a medication is like letting another guy do your homework for you; it may get you an A for this assignment, but you'll get an F on the final if you continue on with this "lazy" mentality. Think about it. If you take a medication, and you think that's the only thing that you need to do, it's like saying .. I have this guy who's gonna always do my homework for me. It's a mentality of laziness. The only way to truely change yourself is to fight it, to strugle and wrestle yourself into becoming a better, stronger person. That's the only way to take control of yourself and your life. This includes talking to yourself and your "subcounciousness", which may include meditation, etc. But in the end, it's got to be "through personal effort mixed with blood, sweat, and tears." -Hasan
Mar 12 2006
prev sibling parent Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Knud Sørensen wrote:

 In article <pan.2006.03.12.19.30.26.988373 sneakemail.com>,
 =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= says...
This is true, do you know about ibogaine  ???

http://www.ibogaine.co.uk/ibogaine6.htm
Trading one addiction for another is rarely a good idea.
Here you assume without reason that you get addicted to ibogaine. Do you know that ?
I don't know whether John knows this or not, but being a paramedic probably helps know more about such subjects than me.
Mar 13 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
"Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:dv0gjd$2ng8$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 "bobef" <bobef lessequal.com> wrote in message
 news:dutpd1$1c1m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Maybe I didn't say it clear. I won't write software anymore (currently
 for fun, very soon at all)...
I'm sorry you're going. I read your web site, but don't understand your reason.
One wise guy told me once that real man have only two real joys in his life: love and creativity. Probably bobef went for first one? But frequently people think that they contradict each other ... which is just wrong, IMO. BTW: this guy spent four months orbiting this ball - he got some time to study idea of eternity and the like. Andrew Fedoniouk. http://terrainformatica.com
Mar 12 2006
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
 "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:dv0gjd$2ng8$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 "bobef" <bobef lessequal.com> wrote in message
 news:dutpd1$1c1m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Maybe I didn't say it clear. I won't write software anymore (currently
 for fun, very soon at all)...
I'm sorry you're going. I read your web site, but don't understand your reason.
One wise guy told me once that real man have only two real joys in his life: love and creativity. Probably bobef went for first one? But frequently people think that they contradict each other ... which is just wrong, IMO. BTW: this guy spent four months orbiting this ball - he got some time to study idea of eternity and the like.
What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. And priorities change. Sean
Mar 12 2006
parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
 What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.  And
 priorities change.
I know. For example I hope Walter will love 'const' one day.
Mar 12 2006
Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.  And
priorities change.
I know. For example I hope Walter will love 'const' one day.
I hope not :P
Mar 12 2006
parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
 What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.  And
 priorities change.
I know. For example I hope Walter will love 'const' one day.
I hope not :P
See! ;-) Sean
Mar 12 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent bobef <bobef lessequal.com> writes:
By request I've translated the notes and todo-s for akide in English
(they are messy of course).
Mar 12 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
I read that you consider programming an addiction. I struggled with this
idea when I was a teenager, so perhaps I can relate somewhat.  I also gave
up programming for long periods of time.  In retrospect, I believe that this
was not the right thing to do.  Programming addiction is not like addiction
to alcohol or drugs.  Substance abuse like that is never productive or
helpful.

There are some behaviors that are necessary and yet tend to be addictive,
because of the pleasure involved.  Like for example eating and sex.  These
behaviors are very pleasurable, but for a good reason.  If these pleasurable
urges  were not in place, we would probably not be here today.  People that
don't eat, die.  Creatures that don't procreate become extinct.

However, overeating and sexual addiction are not productive.  But that does
not mean we should stop eating or stop having sex if we find ourselves
"addicted".

The most ideal and perhaps most difficult path to take is the path of
moderation.  We must find the balance in our lives that achieves the
greatest level of happiness and productivity for ourselves, those in our
sphere of influence, and our posterity.

The capacity to program is a gift, not a disease.  I hope my words do not
fall on deaf ears.  Bobef, we all appreciate your contributions to computer
science.  Please do not give up.

-Craig
Mar 13 2006
parent reply =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:
 I read that you consider programming an addiction. I struggled with this
 idea when I was a teenager, so perhaps I can relate somewhat.  I also gave
 up programming for long periods of time.  In retrospect, I believe that this
 was not the right thing to do.  Programming addiction is not like addiction
 to alcohol or drugs.  Substance abuse like that is never productive or
 helpful.

 There are some behaviors that are necessary and yet tend to be addictive,
 because of the pleasure involved.  Like for example eating and sex.  These
 behaviors are very pleasurable, but for a good reason.  If these pleasurable
 urges  were not in place, we would probably not be here today.  People that
 don't eat, die.  Creatures that don't procreate become extinct.

Maybe you should try to read http://www.healingtaousa.com/bigu.html Mind over Matter.
Mar 13 2006
next sibling parent Bruno Medeiros <daiphoenixNO SPAMlycos.com> writes:
Knud Sørensen wrote:
 I read that you consider programming an addiction. I struggled with this
 idea when I was a teenager, so perhaps I can relate somewhat.  I also gave
 up programming for long periods of time.  In retrospect, I believe that this
 was not the right thing to do.  Programming addiction is not like addiction
 to alcohol or drugs.  Substance abuse like that is never productive or
 helpful.

 There are some behaviors that are necessary and yet tend to be addictive,
 because of the pleasure involved.  Like for example eating and sex.  These
 behaviors are very pleasurable, but for a good reason.  If these pleasurable
 urges  were not in place, we would probably not be here today.  People that
 don't eat, die.  Creatures that don't procreate become extinct.
Maybe you should try to read http://www.healingtaousa.com/bigu.html Mind over Matter.
What exactly are you trying to say? [This could very well be the mother of all offtopics] -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D
Mar 14 2006
prev sibling parent "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
lol!
"Knud Sørensen" <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2006.03.13.20.47.21.820201 sneakemail.com...
[...]

Mar 15 2006