www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - YouTube programming & D

reply "Chris" <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
I went to a talk on YouTube. It was about how they have been 
adapting to changing demands over the years. One of the major 
issues was the decoding/encoding of videos (including enhancement 
of quality). For this they break the videos up into digestible 
chunks and encode/convert/edit the chunks separately. At the end 
of the process they put all the chunks back together again. A 
video can thus be processed in 5-10 minutes.

The second major point was, of course, streaming and buffering.

I was thinking that D with ranges and component programming might 
be of interest for YouTube. The only thing I was worried about 
was the memory bit. The demands are quite tough (low footprint, 
speed). I know that GC can be deactivated in D but the library 
still depends on it. In my projects GC does not hurt, but for 
life streaming and the like it might be a different story. Does 
anyone have any experience with D in this respect? Any opinions?
Sep 03 2013
next sibling parent "Chris" <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Tuesday, 3 September 2013 at 13:45:47 UTC, Chris wrote:
 I went to a talk on YouTube. It was about how they have been 
 adapting to changing demands over the years. One of the major 
 issues was the decoding/encoding of videos (including 
 enhancement of quality). For this they break the videos up into 
 digestible chunks and encode/convert/edit the chunks 
 separately. At the end of the process they put all the chunks 
 back together again. A video can thus be processed in 5-10 
 minutes.

 The second major point was, of course, streaming and buffering.

 I was thinking that D with ranges and component programming 
 might be of interest for YouTube. The only thing I was worried 
 about was the memory bit. The demands are quite tough (low 
 footprint, speed). I know that GC can be deactivated in D but 
 the library still depends on it. In my projects GC does not 
 hurt, but for life streaming and the like it might be a 
 different story. Does anyone have any experience with D in this 
 respect? Any opinions?

Sorry, forgot to mention that they emphasized the importance of developing test suits (they update their system every week). Unit tests are a great asset in this respect, I think.
Sep 03 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent "Rikki Cattermole" <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 3 September 2013 at 13:45:47 UTC, Chris wrote:
 I went to a talk on YouTube. It was about how they have been 
 adapting to changing demands over the years. One of the major 
 issues was the decoding/encoding of videos (including 
 enhancement of quality). For this they break the videos up into 
 digestible chunks and encode/convert/edit the chunks 
 separately. At the end of the process they put all the chunks 
 back together again. A video can thus be processed in 5-10 
 minutes.

 The second major point was, of course, streaming and buffering.

 I was thinking that D with ranges and component programming 
 might be of interest for YouTube. The only thing I was worried 
 about was the memory bit. The demands are quite tough (low 
 footprint, speed). I know that GC can be deactivated in D but 
 the library still depends on it. In my projects GC does not 
 hurt, but for life streaming and the like it might be a 
 different story. Does anyone have any experience with D in this 
 respect? Any opinions?

Would you be interested in doing a live stream programming on Twitch? I started doing it recently when I can. It would be great to get together a group of us and do it with e.g. Mumble. We can publish videos on to Youtube after the stream (Twitch helps with that).
Sep 03 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent "Chris" <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Wednesday, 4 September 2013 at 02:04:17 UTC, Rikki Cattermole 
wrote:
 Would you be interested in doing a live stream programming on 
 Twitch?
 I started doing it recently when I can.
 It would be great to get together a group of us and do it with 
 e.g. Mumble.

 We can publish videos on to Youtube after the stream (Twitch 
 helps with that).

I have no experience with that and have too many projects going on at the moment. I'm afraid I have to decline.
Sep 04 2013
prev sibling parent "Rikki Cattermole" <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 4 September 2013 at 08:51:11 UTC, Chris wrote:
 On Wednesday, 4 September 2013 at 02:04:17 UTC, Rikki 
 Cattermole wrote:
 Would you be interested in doing a live stream programming on 
 Twitch?
 I started doing it recently when I can.
 It would be great to get together a group of us and do it with 
 e.g. Mumble.

 We can publish videos on to Youtube after the stream (Twitch 
 helps with that).

I have no experience with that and have too many projects going on at the moment. I'm afraid I have to decline.

Thats fine, its open to anyone though. As a method for advertising and teaching.
Sep 04 2013