www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - What's the status of the review queue?

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
Right now the review queue is empty, and I wonder whether there's some 
new stuff ready in people's pipeline. At some point I recall there were 
even complaints about the review cycle being too slow!

So, please chime in with components that are ready for the review process.


Thanks,

Andrei
May 25 2011
next sibling parent reply dsimcha <dsimcha yahoo.com> writes:
On 5/26/2011 12:31 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Right now the review queue is empty, and I wonder whether there's some
 new stuff ready in people's pipeline. At some point I recall there were
 even complaints about the review cycle being too slow!

 So, please chime in with components that are ready for the review process.


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Well, I had put TempAlloc up for review but it didn't seem to actually get reviewed. TempAlloc is a thread-local segmented stack memory allocator (defined/detailed in the docs) for efficiently allocating temporary buffers, matrices, etc. It has the following advantages compared to allocation on the call stack: 1. Pointers to memory allocated on the TempAlloc stack are still valid when the function they were allocated from returns. Functions can be written to create and return data structures on the TempAlloc stack. 2. Since it is a segmented stack, large allocations can be performed with no danger of stack overflow errors. It has the following advantages compared to heap allocation: 1. Both allocation and deallocation are extremely fast. Most allocations consist of verifying enough space is available, incrementing a pointer and a performing a few cheap bookkeeping operations. Most deallocations consist decrementing a pointer and performing a few cheap bookkeeping operations. 2. The segmented stack is thread-local, so synchronization is only needed when a segment needs to be allocated or freed. 3. Fragmentation is not an issue when allocating memory on the TempAlloc stack, though it can be an issue when trying to allocate a new segment. It'd be nice to get this in the next release b/c SciD, which is being worked on extensively for GSoC, uses it and Don said he wanted to use it in BigInt. Code: https://github.com/dsimcha/TempAlloc/blob/master/tempalloc.d Docs: http://cis.jhu.edu/~dsimcha/d/phobos/core_tempalloc.html
May 26 2011
next sibling parent reply "Lars T. Kyllingstad" <public kyllingen.NOSPAMnet> writes:
On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:34:23 -0400, dsimcha wrote:

 SciD [...] is being worked on extensively for GSoC

Um... what? :) -Lars
May 26 2011
parent reply dsimcha <dsimcha yahoo.com> writes:
== Quote from Lars T. Kyllingstad (public kyllingen.NOSPAMnet)'s article
 On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:34:23 -0400, dsimcha wrote:
 SciD [...] is being worked on extensively for GSoC

-Lars

This is kind of late breaking. Cristi Cobzarenco's project has evolved from an imaging library into matrix stuff (expression templates first and foremost, GPGPU, more LAPACK wrappers and/or CPU parallelism if time permits).
May 26 2011
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 5/26/11 10:17 AM, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
 On Thu, 26 May 2011 15:11:49 +0000, dsimcha wrote:

 == Quote from Lars T. Kyllingstad (public kyllingen.NOSPAMnet)'s article
 On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:34:23 -0400, dsimcha wrote:
 SciD [...] is being worked on extensively for GSoC

-Lars

This is kind of late breaking. Cristi Cobzarenco's project has evolved from an imaging library into matrix stuff (expression templates first and foremost, GPGPU, more LAPACK wrappers and/or CPU parallelism if time permits).

Cool! :) I just noticed he has forked my SciD repo, but nothing seems to have been pushed there yet. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. -Lars

Let me know if you want me to add you to the mailing list where Cristi's project is being discussed. Andrei
May 26 2011
next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 5/26/11 1:08 PM, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
 On Thu, 26 May 2011 10:27:11 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Let me know if you want me to add you to the mailing list where Cristi's
 project is being discussed.

Yes please. :) Same address as the one I use for the Phobos mailing list. -Lars

Done. Andrei
May 26 2011
prev sibling parent filgood <filgood somewhere.net> writes:
On 26/05/2011 19:08, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
 On Thu, 26 May 2011 10:27:11 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

 On 5/26/11 10:17 AM, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
 On Thu, 26 May 2011 15:11:49 +0000, dsimcha wrote:

 == Quote from Lars T. Kyllingstad (public kyllingen.NOSPAMnet)'s
 article
 On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:34:23 -0400, dsimcha wrote:
 SciD [...] is being worked on extensively for GSoC

-Lars

This is kind of late breaking. Cristi Cobzarenco's project has evolved from an imaging library into matrix stuff (expression templates first and foremost, GPGPU, more LAPACK wrappers and/or CPU parallelism if time permits).

Cool! :) I just noticed he has forked my SciD repo, but nothing seems to have been pushed there yet. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. -Lars

Let me know if you want me to add you to the mailing list where Cristi's project is being discussed.

Yes please. :) Same address as the one I use for the Phobos mailing list. -Lars

Could I be added too? You can also use my phobos mailing list email address. thx, filip
May 26 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent "Lars T. Kyllingstad" <public kyllingen.NOSPAMnet> writes:
On Thu, 26 May 2011 15:11:49 +0000, dsimcha wrote:

 == Quote from Lars T. Kyllingstad (public kyllingen.NOSPAMnet)'s article
 On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:34:23 -0400, dsimcha wrote:
 SciD [...] is being worked on extensively for GSoC

-Lars

This is kind of late breaking. Cristi Cobzarenco's project has evolved from an imaging library into matrix stuff (expression templates first and foremost, GPGPU, more LAPACK wrappers and/or CPU parallelism if time permits).

Cool! :) I just noticed he has forked my SciD repo, but nothing seems to have been pushed there yet. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. -Lars -Lars
May 26 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent "Lars T. Kyllingstad" <public kyllingen.NOSPAMnet> writes:
On Thu, 26 May 2011 10:27:11 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

 On 5/26/11 10:17 AM, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
 On Thu, 26 May 2011 15:11:49 +0000, dsimcha wrote:

 == Quote from Lars T. Kyllingstad (public kyllingen.NOSPAMnet)'s
 article
 On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:34:23 -0400, dsimcha wrote:
 SciD [...] is being worked on extensively for GSoC

-Lars

This is kind of late breaking. Cristi Cobzarenco's project has evolved from an imaging library into matrix stuff (expression templates first and foremost, GPGPU, more LAPACK wrappers and/or CPU parallelism if time permits).

Cool! :) I just noticed he has forked my SciD repo, but nothing seems to have been pushed there yet. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. -Lars

Let me know if you want me to add you to the mailing list where Cristi's project is being discussed.

Yes please. :) Same address as the one I use for the Phobos mailing list. -Lars
May 26 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
What's the state of your update to std.path? Have you had time to get back to 
it yet?

- Jonathan M Davis
May 26 2011
prev sibling parent "Lars T. Kyllingstad" <public kyllingen.NOSPAMnet> writes:
On Thu, 26 May 2011 12:01:00 -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

 What's the state of your update to std.path? Have you had time to get
 back to it yet?

Actually, I'd say it's ready. I'll integrate it with the rest of Phobos and put it up for review as soon as the TempAlloc review is done. -Lars
May 27 2011
prev sibling parent Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On 2011-05-27 12:40, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
 On Thu, 26 May 2011 12:01:00 -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
 What's the state of your update to std.path? Have you had time to get
 back to it yet?

Actually, I'd say it's ready. I'll integrate it with the rest of Phobos and put it up for review as soon as the TempAlloc review is done.

Good to here. That's definitely one that I'd like to see get integrated into Phobos. - Jonathan M Davis
May 27 2011