www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Useful x86 linker info page

reply Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> writes:
I found this page:
http://my.execpc.com/~geezer/osd/linkers.htm

May be of some use.  I learned some things from it anyway.

--bb
Feb 22 2007
parent reply Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> writes:
Bill Baxter wrote:
 I found this page:
 http://my.execpc.com/~geezer/osd/linkers.htm
 
 May be of some use.  I learned some things from it anyway.

Does anyone know anything about 'alink'? Seems to work with PE-COFF (as well as OMF). The source code license is kind of weird, though it's "free for all to use...provided it remains unmodified". Open source that you're not allowed to tinker with? I really don't get it. And if you have the right to "use ... for any purpose" doesn't that include borrowing snippets to use in your own programs, as long as you don't modify the original source distribution? Hmm... ======= ALINK Source Code, V1.6, Copyright 1998-9 Anthony A.J. Williams. All Rights Reserved. This source code is free for all to use, compile and distribute for any purpose, provided it remains unmodified, and I am credited. You may not charge for this source code, or any executables compiled from it, but you may charge a small distribution fee to cover costs, and you may charge for any warranty or support you may wish to give your customers. As this source is free, it comes with no warranty whatsoever - use it entirely at your own risk. makefile contains the makefile for use with GCC (RSXNT) alink.mak contains the makefile for use with GCC (RSXNT), linking with the ALINK libaries. Set C_INCLUDE_PATH to point to the ALINK library headers. alink2.mak contains the makefile for use with MSVC, linking with the ALINK libraries. Set INCLUDE to point to the ALINK library headers. Any comments or bug reports, please email me at anthony_w geocities.com
Feb 22 2007
parent reply Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> writes:
Just for kicks I tried to link some dmd-generated OMF objects using 
alink.  It complained it didn't understand "record type BC" which 
apparently is a CEXTDEF-COMDAT External Names Definition Record 
according to this:
   http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/Omfg.pdf

--bb

Bill Baxter wrote:
 Bill Baxter wrote:
 I found this page:
 http://my.execpc.com/~geezer/osd/linkers.htm

 May be of some use.  I learned some things from it anyway.

Does anyone know anything about 'alink'?

Feb 22 2007
parent Pragma <ericanderton yahoo.removeme.com> writes:
Bill Baxter wrote:
 Just for kicks I tried to link some dmd-generated OMF objects using 
 alink.  It complained it didn't understand "record type BC" which 
 apparently is a CEXTDEF-COMDAT External Names Definition Record 
 according to this:
   http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/Omfg.pdf

FWIW, if it's failing to understand BC records, then there's probably other support missing as well. IIRC, it's one of several record types that lives in a tier of add-ons to the spec that all came about at the same time. The filename is also kind of appropriate. That is the exact phrase you'll utter time-and-again when working with this filetype. ;) -- - EricAnderton at yahoo
Feb 23 2007