www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Sun Open Sources Java

reply Zz <zz a.zz> writes:
I'm not a java fan but I found this interesting.

You might find this interesting.
It includes the compiler and HotSpotVM.

http://openjdk.java.net/

For the Compiler and HotSpotVM which is in C++
http://download.java.net/openjdk/jdk7/

Zz
May 09 2007
parent reply Gregor Richards <Richards codu.org> writes:
Zz wrote:
 I'm not a java fan but I found this interesting.
 
 You might find this interesting.
 It includes the compiler and HotSpotVM.
 
 http://openjdk.java.net/
 
 For the Compiler and HotSpotVM which is in C++
 http://download.java.net/openjdk/jdk7/
 
 Zz

Sun is doing as good a job F/OSS-ing Java as they did F/OSS-ing "Open"Solaris. Or, to put it bluntly: Java is not F/OSS. Some chunks of it which are useless in isolation are. It probably never will be wholly F/OSS. The only product Sun has every successfully F/OSS'd is OpenOffice. - Gregor Richards PS: This is very old news ;)
May 09 2007
next sibling parent reply Mike Parker <aldacron71 yahoo.com> writes:
Gregor Richards wrote:
 Zz wrote:
 I'm not a java fan but I found this interesting.

 You might find this interesting.
 It includes the compiler and HotSpotVM.

 http://openjdk.java.net/

 For the Compiler and HotSpotVM which is in C++
 http://download.java.net/openjdk/jdk7/

 Zz

Sun is doing as good a job F/OSS-ing Java as they did F/OSS-ing "Open"Solaris. Or, to put it bluntly: Java is not F/OSS. Some chunks of it which are useless in isolation are. It probably never will be wholly F/OSS. The only product Sun has every successfully F/OSS'd is OpenOffice. - Gregor Richards PS: This is very old news ;)

It's not *that* old. Unless you're referring to the Sun Open Source license (or whatever it was called) that they have been using for the past couple of years. They first announced that Java would be GPLed only a couple of months ago. It was to be in a staged release, to culminate with the official announcement at JavaOne. It's GPL with the Classpath exception. What more should they do?
May 09 2007
parent reply "David B. Held" <dheld codelogicconsulting.com> writes:
Mike Parker wrote:
 [...]
 It's not *that* old. Unless you're referring to the Sun Open Source 
 license (or whatever it was called) that they have been using for the 
 past couple of years. They first announced that Java would be GPLed only 
 a couple of months ago. It was to be in a staged release, to culminate 
 with the official announcement at JavaOne. It's GPL with the Classpath 
 exception. What more should they do?

Give everyone a free car? At least, that's what Oprah would do. But then, nobody asked WWOD? Dave
May 09 2007
parent Walter Bright <newshound1 digitalmars.com> writes:
David B. Held wrote:
 Mike Parker wrote:
 What more should they do?

Give everyone a free car?

Works for me. Where do I sign up?
May 10 2007
prev sibling parent Roberto Mariottini <rmariottini mail.com> writes:
Gregor Richards wrote:
 
 Sun is doing as good a job F/OSS-ing Java as they did F/OSS-ing 
 "Open"Solaris.
 
 Or, to put it bluntly: Java is not F/OSS. Some chunks of it which are 
 useless in isolation are. It probably never will be wholly F/OSS. The 
 only product Sun has every successfully F/OSS'd is OpenOffice.

You are not up-to-date. From the FAQ: -------------------------------------------- Q: What is Sun announcing? A: Fulfilling its promise to the world exactly one year later, Sun is releasing a fully buildable implementation of the JDK in the OpenJDK Community. Specifically: * Sun proudly announces that almost all of the JDK is now available under the GPL 6.5 million lines of code, one of the largest and most important contributions to the Free Software community in history. * In conjunction with the NetBeans 6 preview release, Sun has created pre-built Netbeans projects to make it easy and intuitive to dive into the OpenJDK code base, making NetBeans and Sun Studio the gateways to participation in the OpenJDK project. * Sun announces the formation of the OpenJDK Interim Governance Board with the charter to write and gain ratification for a Constitution for the OpenJDK Community, based on transparency and an open, meritocratic process. The IGB will invite active participation in this process, with the goal that OpenJDK governance will be representative of a broad and inclusive consensus reflecting the will of the whole community. * Sun is creating a clear process for OpenJDK-based implementations of Java SE to test for compatibility starting with implementations of Java SE 6, and once certified, to brand their implementations "Java Compatible" while still meeting all of their obligations under the GPL. This process will advance the "Write Once, Run Anywhere" promise of Java Compatibility into the Free and Open Source software world, and guarantee that the innovations made possible by OpenJDK remain forever available to all. * Sun announces a one year roadmap for the OpenJDK initiative, including clearing the remaining encumbrances, open sourcing an implementation of Java SE 6 and associated deployment code, implementation of the compatibility testing and branding program, and establishment of the governance and contribution model for the community. Following on to Sun's November 13, 2006 announcement six months ago of the creation of the OpenJDK project and community, and the widely acclaimed choice of GPL v2 as the license for Sun's open-source JDK initiative, Sun is delivering in only one year on substantially all of its promises to the industry. Building on this momentum, Sun has solidified its position as the pre-eminent contributor to the F/OSS ecosystem. -------------------------------------------- The JDK is now under the GPL v2, so it IS Free and Open Source. Ciao
May 10 2007