www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - State of the union on arch linux......

reply Andy Smith <andyrsmith gmail.com> writes:
Hi All,

I recently had to retire my ageing Ubuntu laptop and decided to 
go for Arch as the OS of choice for its successor, since I was 
quite sold on this 'rolling release' concept.

My expectation was to have the latest, shiniest versions of the 
three major D compilers at my fingertips but so far it looks like 
the only compiler that works out of the box (*) is LDC.

(*) works out of the box = can compile and run a simple 
helloworld program.

I checked out the snap package that Joseph spoke about at DCONF 
2017 but again it seems like only LDC has snap packages available.

Is the state of affairs really this bad on Arch? Or is there a 
HOWTO where I can get up and running with all three compilers?

Cheers,

A
Jul 16
next sibling parent reply Elronnd <elronnd em.slashem.me> writes:
Take a look at your /etc/dmd.conf.  It probably looks like this 
right now:



[Environment32]
DFLAGS=-I/usr/include/dlang/dmd -L-L/usr/lib32 -L--export-dynamic 
-fPIC

[Environment64]
DFLAGS=-I/usr/include/dlang/dmd -L-L/usr/lib -L--export-dynamic 
-fPIC



Add "-defaultlib=libphobos2.so" to the end of both of those lines 
so it looks like this:


[Environment32]
DFLAGS=-I/usr/include/dlang/dmd -L-L/usr/lib32 -L--export-dynamic 
-fPIC -defaultlib=libphobos2.so

[Environment64]
DFLAGS=-I/usr/include/dlang/dmd -L-L/usr/lib -L--export-dynamic 
-fPIC -defaultlib=libphobos2.so


As for GDC, when I complained about it, instead of updating it 
they removed 
(https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/gdc/) it.  I 
updated the PKGBUILD, though, and just now adopted the AUR 
package (https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/gdc/).  I'm in the 
process of updating it now, it should be up in few minutes.
Jul 16
parent Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 23:03:45 UTC, Elronnd wrote:
 As for GDC, when I complained about it, instead of updating it 
 they removed 
 (https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/gdc/) it.  
 I updated the PKGBUILD, though, and just now adopted the AUR 
 package (https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/gdc/).  I'm in the 
 process of updating it now, it should be up in few minutes.
Wow - that's pretty sad, but thanks a lot for keeping the gdc PKGBUILD up-to-date. As it takes quite a long time to build everything, I uploaded a build package of the latest gdc: http://files.wilzbach.me/dlang/aur As an extra goodie this also contains the packages of latest (2.075.0-rc1) dmd built with PIE=1.
Jul 16
prev sibling next sibling parent Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 22:53:09 UTC, Andy Smith wrote:
 Hi All,

 I recently had to retire my ageing Ubuntu laptop and decided to 
 go for Arch as the OS of choice for its successor, since I was 
 quite sold on this 'rolling release' concept.

 My expectation was to have the latest, shiniest versions of the 
 three major D compilers at my fingertips but so far it looks 
 like the only compiler that works out of the box (*) is LDC.

 (*) works out of the box = can compile and run a simple 
 helloworld program.

 I checked out the snap package that Joseph spoke about at DCONF 
 2017 but again it seems like only LDC has snap packages 
 available.
https://github.com/dlang-snaps/dmd.snap
 Is the state of affairs really this bad on Arch? Or is there a 
 HOWTO where I can get up and running with all three compilers?

 Cheers,

 A
See also: http://forum.dlang.org/post/vjpawnhzfvxffvsiojuf forum.dlang.org tl;dr: The Arch developers recently switched to enforcing PIE and they didn't care about updating dmd (even though we pinged them).
Jul 16
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 22:53:09 UTC, Andy Smith wrote:
 Or is there a HOWTO where I can get up and running with all 
 three compilers?
Btw the the install script from dlang.org [1] is often quite handy. It even has an option to directly output the path to activation script: source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s dmd -a) source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s ldc -a) source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s gdc -a) [1] http://dlang.org/download.html
Jul 16
parent Andy Smith <andyrsmith gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 23:20:18 UTC, Seb wrote:
 On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 22:53:09 UTC, Andy Smith wrote:
 Or is there a HOWTO where I can get up and running with all 
 three compilers?
Btw the the install script from dlang.org [1] is often quite handy. It even has an option to directly output the path to activation script: source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s dmd -a) source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s ldc -a) source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s gdc -a) [1] http://dlang.org/download.html
Thanks for that I'll try these out .... Cheers, A.
Jul 16
prev sibling parent reply Anton Fediushin <fediushin.anton yandex.ru> writes:
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 22:53:09 UTC, Andy Smith wrote:
 Is the state of affairs really this bad on Arch? Or is there a 
 HOWTO where I can get up and running with all three compilers?
dmd installed with `pacman -S dmd` works for me. But it's 2.074, so I installed 2.074.1 with the script. On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 23:14:53 UTC, Seb wrote:
 https://github.com/dlang-snaps/dmd.snap
It doesn't work on Arch Linux, see https://github.com/dlang-snaps/dmd.snap/issues/11 Reason is, snapd in Arch Linux doesn't support "classic" packages yet. As soon as it's fixed, everything should work fine, but I haven't found any topics on Arch Linux forums, Snap forums or snapd repository issues about this problem. On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 23:14:53 UTC, Seb wrote:
 See also: 
 http://forum.dlang.org/post/vjpawnhzfvxffvsiojuf forum.dlang.org
 tl;dr: The Arch developers recently switched to enforcing PIE 
 and they didn't care about updating dmd (even though we pinged 
 them).
Nobody wants to maintain it, but AUR package cannot be created too. For now it isn't a big deal, but as soon as 2.075 is released, we should ping them again
Jul 17
parent reply bachmeier <no spam.net> writes:
On Monday, 17 July 2017 at 11:37:52 UTC, Anton Fediushin wrote:

 Nobody wants to maintain it, but AUR package cannot be created 
 too. For now it isn't a big deal, but as soon as 2.075 is 
 released, we should ping them again
I think there should be a PKGBUILD in the downloads section on dlang.org. Even better would be a package, if someone knowledgeable is willing to make it. We could be waiting a long time if we rely on pinging them.
Jul 17
parent reply Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Monday, 17 July 2017 at 13:11:24 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
 On Monday, 17 July 2017 at 11:37:52 UTC, Anton Fediushin wrote:

 Nobody wants to maintain it, but AUR package cannot be created 
 too. For now it isn't a big deal, but as soon as 2.075 is 
 released, we should ping them again
I think there should be a PKGBUILD in the downloads section on dlang.org. Even better would be a package, if someone knowledgeable is willing to make it. We could be waiting a long time if we rely on pinging them.
Okay, I created dmd-beta on the AUR. It's a drop-in replacement package for dmd, but updated to 2.075.0 and built with PIC=1. So static linking, which is used by default, (should) work. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dmd-beta Please when let me know when you encounter issues. I still hope that the TU finally get around rebuilding dmd...
Jul 19
next sibling parent Vladimir Panteleev <thecybershadow.lists gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 20 July 2017 at 03:59:17 UTC, Seb wrote:
 I still hope that the TU finally get around rebuilding dmd...
http://forum.dlang.org/post/jfzyymrzepxkpedofqsf forum.dlang.org :)
Jul 19
prev sibling parent Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Thursday, 20 July 2017 at 03:59:17 UTC, Seb wrote:
 I still hope that the TU finally get around rebuilding dmd...
Oh I just saw that the official package got bumped to 2.075.0 - I will try to bump this package with the official betas, s.t. one always has the latest & greatest dmd :)
Jul 19