www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Rust's website is really good

reply Saurabh Das <saurabh.das gmail.com> writes:
I saw it via Reddit. Since the dlang.org website has been under 
discussion on this forum, I thought I would bring it up:

https://www.rust-lang.org/faq.html
https://www.rust-lang.org/

I admire the clean, modern look, simple colours and focus on 
what's important. The content is very good and "full". Arguably, 
this is better than even Python's website. I think they've taken 
the "run code here" idea from dlang.org though :)

The redesigned dlang.org website by "anonymous" is a huge step 
forward, so much praise and honour to her/him for doing that.
Jan 15
parent reply Andrea Fontana <nospam example.com> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 11:35:52 UTC, Saurabh Das wrote:
 I saw it via Reddit. Since the dlang.org website has been under 
 discussion on this forum, I thought I would bring it up:

 https://www.rust-lang.org/faq.html
 https://www.rust-lang.org/

 I admire the clean, modern look, simple colours and focus on 
 what's important. The content is very good and "full". 
 Arguably, this is better than even Python's website. I think 
 they've taken the "run code here" idea from dlang.org though :)

 The redesigned dlang.org website by "anonymous" is a huge step 
 forward, so much praise and honour to her/him for doing that.
I agree. I said: I think the homepage should be clean, with few text and a big button to download. I think on dlang homepage (both proposed and old) there are too much things ("informations") that disorient visitors. And they scare them. You should not to confuse them with a lot of informations.
Jan 15
parent reply karabuta <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 11:56:36 UTC, Andrea Fontana wrote:
 On Friday, 15 January 2016 at 11:35:52 UTC, Saurabh Das wrote:
 I saw it via Reddit. Since the dlang.org website has been 
 under discussion on this forum, I thought I would bring it up:

 https://www.rust-lang.org/faq.html
 https://www.rust-lang.org/

 I admire the clean, modern look, simple colours and focus on 
 what's important. The content is very good and "full". 
 Arguably, this is better than even Python's website. I think 
 they've taken the "run code here" idea from dlang.org though :)
 I think on dlang homepage (both proposed and old) there are too 
 much things ("informations") that disorient visitors. And they 
 scare them. You should not to confuse them  with a lot of 
 informations.
OK. How do I contribute to the design? I will run away if I have to go through a long process b4 i can do that:) Such simple design can be done in a day and even make it responsive.
Jan 16
parent anonymous <anonymous example.com> writes:
On 16.01.2016 16:53, karabuta wrote:
 OK. How do I contribute to the design? I will run away if I have to go
 through a long process b4 i can do that:)
In the end someone will have to make a successful pull request against the dlang.org git repository. That means cloning the repository, applying your changes, and pushing through review. When the changes are non-trivial, it means being/getting familiar with Ddoc and the other stuff that's used in the dlang.org code. There's a wiki page about all that: http://wiki.dlang.org/Contributing_to_dlang.org You can very meaningfully contribute without doing all that yourself, though. An HTML+CSS mockup goes a long way. It can be discussed, approved/rejected, and if you're not willing/able to do the actual dlang.org code, maybe someone else takes it on. That's exactly how the current push for the red-top-bar redesign came about.
Jan 16