www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Please contribute your ideas to http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2014_Ideas

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
We are in the process of finalizing our GSoC 2014 application. Here's 
our ideas page:

http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2014_Ideas

I've copied that from our GSoC 2013 ideas page (we weren't accepted).

This is the most important part of our application, and where you can 
significantly improve our chance of being accepted this year. Please add 
your ideas to the list.


Thanks,

Andrei
Feb 11 2014
next sibling parent reply "Rikki Cattermole" <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 12 February 2014 at 05:38:34 UTC, Andrei 
Alexandrescu wrote:
 We are in the process of finalizing our GSoC 2014 application. 
 Here's our ideas page:

 http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2014_Ideas

 I've copied that from our GSoC 2013 ideas page (we weren't 
 accepted).

 This is the most important part of our application, and where 
 you can significantly improve our chance of being accepted this 
 year. Please add your ideas to the list.


 Thanks,

 Andrei

I just want to say, most of the ideas on there currently are a little 'large' for most developers. Even doing this like porting glfw could be considered more then most can do (note I have started on this). We need to think a little smaller I believe. Web development libraries are a great example in this area. Also things like a socket implementation for phobos ext.
Feb 11 2014
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 2/11/14, 11:33 PM, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 I just want to say, most of the ideas on there currently are a little
 'large' for most developers. Even doing this like porting glfw could be
 considered more then most can do (note I have started on this).

That was my sentiment too.
 We need to think a little smaller I believe. Web development libraries
 are a great example in this area.
 Also things like a socket implementation for phobos ext.

Have at it. Andrei
Feb 11 2014
prev sibling parent reply Johannes Pfau <nospam example.com> writes:
Am Tue, 11 Feb 2014 21:38:14 -0800
schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org>:

 We are in the process of finalizing our GSoC 2014 application. Here's 
 our ideas page:
 
 http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2014_Ideas
 
 I've copied that from our GSoC 2013 ideas page (we weren't accepted).
 
 This is the most important part of our application, and where you can 
 significantly improve our chance of being accepted this year. Please
 add your ideas to the list.
 
 
 Thanks,
 
 Andrei

We don't seem to have any phobos ideas on that list. Do you think writing a complete phobos module is too much work? Some modules could even be ported from Boost. * std.json replacement (could be based on std.lexers generic lexer) * std.xml replacement (could be based on std.lexers generic lexer) * std.i18n.locale /std.i18n.translation (excluding language specific conversions, only translation and basic locale handling like detecting current locale)
Feb 12 2014
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 2/12/14, 12:22 AM, Johannes Pfau wrote:
 Am Tue, 11 Feb 2014 21:38:14 -0800
 schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org>:

 We are in the process of finalizing our GSoC 2014 application. Here's
 our ideas page:

 http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2014_Ideas

 I've copied that from our GSoC 2013 ideas page (we weren't accepted).

 This is the most important part of our application, and where you can
 significantly improve our chance of being accepted this year. Please
 add your ideas to the list.


 Thanks,

 Andrei

We don't seem to have any phobos ideas on that list. Do you think writing a complete phobos module is too much work? Some modules could even be ported from Boost. * std.json replacement (could be based on std.lexers generic lexer) * std.xml replacement (could be based on std.lexers generic lexer) * std.i18n.locale /std.i18n.translation (excluding language specific conversions, only translation and basic locale handling like detecting current locale)

These seem appropriate. In fact some are too little work for a GSoC. Andrei
Feb 12 2014