www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Ping: Daniel Keep

reply BCS <nothing pathlink.com> writes:
What ever happened to that "text in D" paper of yours? I have a citation 
to it in a paper of mine but can't find a URL to refer to it with.
Jan 06 2007
parent reply Daniel Keep <daniel.keep+lists gmail.com> writes:
BCS wrote:
 What ever happened to that "text in D" paper of yours? I have a citation 
 to it in a paper of mine but can't find a URL to refer to it with.

Ooh. Umm... err... actually, I'm not sure :P <excuses>In my defense, I had final year exams between then and now, which kinda threw a lot of things off... and, I'm on holidays at my parent's place at the moment. I have my hard drive... but the machine it was attached to has died in the arse, and I'm not sure any other machine in the house has a SATA connection on it.</excuses> After going through the archives[1], I found the fourth revision which is the newest I could find. As for giving it a URL, I'll see about popping it somewhere on Wiki4D in the next day or two (got a few things that need to be taken care of). I'll get back to you when it's up. I do apologise for the wait :) -- Daniel [1]: You know how the DM archives don't have attachments, and the news software doesn't allow you to download them? If you click "Show Headers" and copy+paste the *entire* file into notepad and save as an ".eml" file, you can open the message in Outlook Express and save the attachment. How's that for a run around? :P
Jan 07 2007
next sibling parent reply Daniel Keep <daniel.keep+lists gmail.com> writes:
Sorry for the somewhat lacking typesetting job... I started putting 
inline D code inside [[font][face=Courier]BLAH] blocks, but it quickly 
got boring and I gave up :P

(Also, I couldn't find a way to set blocks off to the side of the main 
body.  Curses!)

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DanielKeep/TextInD

	-- Daniel
Jan 07 2007
next sibling parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Daniel Keep schrieb am 2007-01-07:
 Sorry for the somewhat lacking typesetting job... I started putting 
 inline D code inside [[font][face=Courier]BLAH] blocks, but it quickly 
 got boring and I gave up :P

 (Also, I couldn't find a way to set blocks off to the side of the main 
 body.  Curses!)

 http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DanielKeep/TextInD

The following sentence is incorrect: # # In fact, it does, but there's a teensy problem that some Unicode # 'enabled' editors have: they forget the Byte Order Mark. # D doesn't require BOM and the presents of BOMs is application/system defined (-> Unicode.org). More often than not the user simply used the "save as text" feature. Especially on MSWindows most editors use some installation dependent codepage instead of UTF if not ask explicitly to store the text as Unicode. The only situation were a BOM is required is documented here: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=430 Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iD8DBQFFoUZjLK5blCcjpWoRAt3PAJ0dtLKauaYKra9WmBDmgibGDAQ7cQCeOEow exEjWMkWO5V2aEDO/LQ+vAY= =C2XW -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Jan 07 2007
parent reply Daniel Keep <daniel.keep+lists gmail.com> writes:
Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1
 
 Daniel Keep schrieb am 2007-01-07:
 
Sorry for the somewhat lacking typesetting job... I started putting 
inline D code inside [[font][face=Courier]BLAH] blocks, but it quickly 
got boring and I gave up :P

(Also, I couldn't find a way to set blocks off to the side of the main 
body.  Curses!)

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DanielKeep/TextInD

The following sentence is incorrect: # # In fact, it does, but there's a teensy problem that some Unicode # 'enabled' editors have: they forget the Byte Order Mark. # D doesn't require BOM and the presents of BOMs is application/system defined (-> Unicode.org). More often than not the user simply used the "save as text" feature. Especially on MSWindows most editors use some installation dependent codepage instead of UTF if not ask explicitly to store the text as Unicode. The only situation were a BOM is required is documented here: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=430 Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iD8DBQFFoUZjLK5blCcjpWoRAt3PAJ0dtLKauaYKra9WmBDmgibGDAQ7cQCeOEow exEjWMkWO5V2aEDO/LQ+vAY= =C2XW -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Thanks for the heads up. Is this accurate? ==== In fact, it does. There are two problems you might run into: 1. The editor you used may *support* Unicode, but didn't end up saving in it. Go back and double-check that the file really is Unicode. How you do this depends on your editor, but there's usually an option lying around somewhere to set a file's character encoding. 2. The other is a bit obscure: if you save your source file in Unicode without a Byte Order Mark and the first character is outside the ASCII character range, D won't be able to read it properly. If you ''do'' have a suspicious looking first character in your source file, you can either stick a blank line in at the top of the file or save the source file again with a Byte Order Mark. [What's a Byte Order Mark?] The Byte Order Mark (or BOM) is a special character sequence at the beginning of any UTF text file that tells the application which UTF encoding is being used, and in some cases what the byte order is (ie: Little Endian/Big Endian.) ==== -- Daniel
Jan 07 2007
parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Daniel Keep schrieb am 2007-01-07:
 Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 Daniel Keep schrieb am 2007-01-07:


http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DanielKeep/TextInD



 The following sentence is incorrect:
 #
 # In fact, it does, but there's a teensy problem that some Unicode
 # 'enabled' editors have: they forget the Byte Order Mark.
 #
 
 D doesn't require BOM and the presents of BOMs is application/system
 defined (-> Unicode.org). More often than not the user simply used the
 "save as text" feature. Especially on MSWindows most editors use some
 installation dependent codepage instead of UTF if not ask explicitly to
 store the text as Unicode.
 
 The only situation were a BOM is required is documented here:
 http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=430


 Thanks for the heads up.  Is this accurate?

<snip> Yes, appart from this section:
   The Byte Order Mark (or BOM) is a special character sequence at the 
 beginning of any UTF text file that tells the application which UTF 
 encoding is being used, and in some cases what the byte order is (ie: 
 Little Endian/Big Endian.)

Any UTF text file _may_ start with a BOM. On Windows system the convention is to start with a BOM, on *nix system the convention is to start without a BOM. Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iD8DBQFFoZp/LK5blCcjpWoRAvNYAJ9dxmYue0bO198RwI1PthHDFq70GwCfTrJX XhjpCOeBoFCddefVXhkeL7c= =Lj9W -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Jan 07 2007
parent Daniel Keep <daniel.keep+lists gmail.com> writes:
Thomas Kuehne wrote:
 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
 Hash: SHA1
 
 Daniel Keep schrieb am 2007-01-07:
 
Thomas Kuehne wrote:

Daniel Keep schrieb am 2007-01-07:


http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DanielKeep/TextInD



The following sentence is incorrect:
#
# In fact, it does, but there's a teensy problem that some Unicode
# 'enabled' editors have: they forget the Byte Order Mark.
#

D doesn't require BOM and the presents of BOMs is application/system
defined (-> Unicode.org). More often than not the user simply used the
"save as text" feature. Especially on MSWindows most editors use some
installation dependent codepage instead of UTF if not ask explicitly to
store the text as Unicode.

The only situation were a BOM is required is documented here:
http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=430


Thanks for the heads up.  Is this accurate?

<snip> Yes, appart from this section:
  The Byte Order Mark (or BOM) is a special character sequence at the 
beginning of any UTF text file that tells the application which UTF 
encoding is being used, and in some cases what the byte order is (ie: 
Little Endian/Big Endian.)

Any UTF text file _may_ start with a BOM. On Windows system the convention is to start with a BOM, on *nix system the convention is to start without a BOM. Thomas -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- iD8DBQFFoZp/LK5blCcjpWoRAvNYAJ9dxmYue0bO198RwI1PthHDFq70GwCfTrJX XhjpCOeBoFCddefVXhkeL7c= =Lj9W -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Thanks for the input. The wiki's been updated. -- Daniel
Jan 08 2007
prev sibling parent BCS <ao pathlink.com> writes:
Hello Daniel,

 Sorry for the somewhat lacking typesetting job... I started putting
 inline D code inside [[font][face=Courier]BLAH] blocks, but it quickly
 got boring and I gave up :P
 
 (Also, I couldn't find a way to set blocks off to the side of the main
 body.  Curses!)
 
 http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DanielKeep/TextInD
 
 -- Daniel
 

Thanks.
Jan 08 2007
prev sibling parent BCS <nothing pathlink.com> writes:
Daniel Keep wrote:
 BCS wrote:
 What ever happened to that "text in D" paper of yours? I have a 
 citation to it in a paper of mine but can't find a URL to refer to it 
 with.

Ooh. Umm... err... actually, I'm not sure :P <excuses>In my defense, I had final year exams between then and now, which kinda threw a lot of things off... and, I'm on holidays at my parent's place at the moment. I have my hard drive... but the machine it was attached to has died in the arse, and I'm not sure any other machine in the house has a SATA connection on it.</excuses>

Thats just fine.
 
 After going through the archives[1], I found the fourth revision which 
 is the newest I could find.  As for giving it a URL, I'll see about 
 popping it somewhere on Wiki4D in the next day or two (got a few things 
 that need to be taken care of).

thanks, whenever you get to it, that will be great, my paper isn't ready yet so no great hurry.
 
 I'll get back to you when it's up.  I do apologise for the wait :)
 
     -- Daniel
 
 [1]: You know how the DM archives don't have attachments, and the news 
 software doesn't allow you to download them?  If you click "Show 
 Headers" and copy+paste the *entire* file into notepad and save as an 
 ".eml" file, you can open the message in Outlook Express and save the 
 attachment.  How's that for a run around? :P

WOW!
Jan 07 2007