www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - [OT] Ubuntu 12.10 guest in VirtualBox completely broken

reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
I just wanted you all to know that running Ubuntu 12.10 as a guest in 
VirtualBox is completely broken. I update by guest system from 12.04 to 
12.10 and it's so slow it's not usable. This is a known issue:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11107

That issue contains a pre-release of VirtualBox, I tried that on Mac OS 
X and it broken the Ubuntu guest even more. No title bar on the windows 
or any window frame actually.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
Nov 10 2012
next sibling parent reply Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
On 10/11/2012 10:14, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 I just wanted you all to know that running Ubuntu 12.10 as a guest in
 VirtualBox is completely broken. I update by guest system from 12.04 to
 12.10 and it's so slow it's not usable. This is a known issue:

 https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11107

 That issue contains a pre-release of VirtualBox, I tried that on Mac OS
 X and it broken the Ubuntu guest even more. No title bar on the windows
 or any window frame actually.

What a coincidence, I just installed VirtualBox and was looking for advice on what distro of linux to install... All I want to be able to do with my VM is be able to build GDC for my RasPi (via all the hoops that are necessary to get cross compilation working), not bothered about any GUI stuff or bells/whistles, suggestions for a good distro to go with are welcome! A...
Nov 10 2012
next sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-11-10 12:30, Alix Pexton wrote:

 What a coincidence, I just installed VirtualBox and was looking for
 advice on what distro of linux to install...

 All I want to be able to do with my VM is be able to build GDC for my
 RasPi (via all the hoops that are necessary to get cross compilation
 working), not bothered about any GUI stuff or bells/whistles,
 suggestions for a good distro to go with are welcome!

Ubuntu 12.04 was working perfectly fine for me. Another alternative could be Linux Mint. I haven't used it myself but I heard it's basically Ubuntu with less bells and whistles, i.e they're not using the Unity GUI. http://linuxmint.com/ -- /Jacob Carlborg
Nov 10 2012
parent reply Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer utulsa.edu> writes:
On 11/10/2012 04:11 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2012-11-10 12:30, Alix Pexton wrote:

 What a coincidence, I just installed VirtualBox and was looking for
 advice on what distro of linux to install...

 All I want to be able to do with my VM is be able to build GDC for my
 RasPi (via all the hoops that are necessary to get cross compilation
 working), not bothered about any GUI stuff or bells/whistles,
 suggestions for a good distro to go with are welcome!

Ubuntu 12.04 was working perfectly fine for me. Another alternative could be Linux Mint. I haven't used it myself but I heard it's basically Ubuntu with less bells and whistles, i.e they're not using the Unity GUI. http://linuxmint.com/

Ubuntu 12.10/gnome classic works well enough; just turn off compiz. I tried mint and ran into trouble while compiling llvm. make gobbled memory for a while, and then the desktop restarted itself (I guess?). All my windows: gone.
Nov 10 2012
next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-11-10 17:14, Ellery Newcomer wrote:

 Ubuntu 12.10/gnome classic works well enough; just turn off compiz. I
 tried mint and ran into trouble while compiling llvm. make gobbled
 memory for a while, and then the desktop restarted itself (I guess?).
 All my windows: gone.

I don't know if I can do that when basically the only thing that works are the desktop icons. Neither the top or left bar is displayed. I should perhaps go back to an older version of VritualBox. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Nov 10 2012
prev sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-11-10 17:14, Ellery Newcomer wrote:

 Ubuntu 12.10/gnome classic works well enough; just turn off compiz. I
 tried mint and ran into trouble while compiling llvm. make gobbled
 memory for a while, and then the desktop restarted itself (I guess?).
 All my windows: gone.

I manage to turn of compiz but I don't know if I made some bad choices in the process because now I only have the desktop. No left or top bar. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Nov 11 2012
parent reply Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer utulsa.edu> writes:
On 11/11/2012 02:50 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2012-11-10 17:14, Ellery Newcomer wrote:

 Ubuntu 12.10/gnome classic works well enough; just turn off compiz. I
 tried mint and ran into trouble while compiling llvm. make gobbled
 memory for a while, and then the desktop restarted itself (I guess?).
 All my windows: gone.

I manage to turn of compiz but I don't know if I made some bad choices in the process because now I only have the desktop. No left or top bar.

Ouch. Looks like what I should have said is gnome classic (no effects), and I guess compizconfig didn't actually turn anything off. Also, I'm working from a clean install, so that might account for behavior difference. It still sucks, though. Found myself wishing I had installed server instead.
Nov 11 2012
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-11-12 00:14, Ellery Newcomer wrote:

 Ouch. Looks like what I should have said is gnome classic (no effects),
 and I guess compizconfig didn't actually turn anything off. Also, I'm
 working from a clean install, so that might account for behavior
 difference.

I start to think I have to reinstall.
 It still sucks, though. Found myself wishing I had installed server
 instead.

I was using this virtual machine for testing DWT Linux as well, so I kind of need a GUI. I was hoping I could use the same machine for building Linux binaries as testing DWT. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Nov 11 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "David Nadlinger" <see klickverbot.at> writes:
On Saturday, 10 November 2012 at 11:30:31 UTC, Alix Pexton wrote:
 All I want to be able to do with my VM is be able to build GDC 
 for my RasPi (via all the hoops that are necessary to get cross 
 compilation working), not bothered about any GUI stuff or 
 bells/whistles, suggestions for a good distro to go with are 
 welcome!

I use Arch Linux for this kind of stuff, and just ssh into my VMs instead of running X on them. I especially like Arch for this because it doesn't come with loads of bloat (for this setting) installed by default, yet is comfortable to use – at least if you are somewhat familiar with Linux already. David
Nov 10 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
 You don't necessarily need a cross compiler to do the job. Set-up a
 raspbian chroot instead!

 There's some rough instructions here.

 http://superpiadventures.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/development-environment/


 You are also able to debug programs through qemu, though there's a
 hurdle you have to jump through.

 http://tinkering-is-fun.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/debugging-non-native-programs-with-qemu.html


 Regards,
 Iain.

interesting... but a lot of these instructions assume a lot more linux expertise than I have to hand, even the ones that claim to cover every step miss things. That's one of the reasons that I made my RasPi available to all (as long as they ask for an account) ^^ A...
Nov 11 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
 You don't necessarily need a cross compiler to do the job. Set-up a
 raspbian chroot instead!

 There's some rough instructions here.

 http://superpiadventures.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/development-environment/


 You are also able to debug programs through qemu, though there's a
 hurdle you have to jump through.

 http://tinkering-is-fun.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/debugging-non-native-programs-with-qemu.html


 Regards,
 Iain.

The comments on the first article say that using qemu is as slow as compiling on the RasPi, and recommend using the cross-compiler instead. I followed the instructs anyway, and all seemed to go well, but they just stop without detailing how to actually compile anything, or explaining what has been done >< A...
Nov 11 2012
parent reply Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
 What's been done is a chroot system has been set-up with ARM binaries,
 instead of i386 or x86_64.  qemu-debootstrap installs an executable
 qemu-arm-static inside this chroot, so when you try to run any ARM
 binaries, qemu kicks in and acts as an emulator.

 To compile, simply following the same instructions as per the gdc
 wiki.   apt-get install all build deps, retrieve source, ./configure
 and make.  :-)

o.O you are still assuming I have way more pre-existing linux knowledge/experience than I actually do, I really do need this stuff explaining in tiny baby steps... I followed the instructions, pretty sure I will have messed up somewhere, read some more of the comments on the original qemu instructions and someone points out that if reports to be emulating the wrong arm processor, and no one has posted to say they have had any success, never a good sign >< A...
Nov 11 2012
parent reply Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
 Don't think that would be the case for you.  It works just fine, just
 make sure you are using the correct configure --target flag.

On my third time running through the instructions I felt like I was on the right track until I got to the part about running ./setup-gcc.sh $HOME/gcc-4.7-4.7.1/src to "add gdc to gcc sources" but this script is not in the branch that I got from git! There is a ./update-gcc.sh which I have tried to run, but I only got the help message or an error depending on if I add "--setup" or not >< should setup-gcc be present? if not, what is the correct way to call update-gcc? A...
Nov 12 2012
parent reply Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
On 12/11/2012 20:27, Alix Pexton wrote:
 ./update-gcc.sh

 which I have tried to run, but I only got the help message or an error
 depending on if I add "--setup" or not ><

 should setup-gcc be present? if not, what is the correct way to call
 update-gcc?

OK, ibuclaw helped me over that hurdle over irc, it is now building (I think) ^^ My next stupid question, is once its compiled on the qemu chroot, how do I get it onto the RasPi? A...
Nov 13 2012
parent reply Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
On 13/11/2012 15:31, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 On 13 November 2012 13:09, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.dot.com> wrote:
 On 12/11/2012 20:27, Alix Pexton wrote:
 ./update-gcc.sh

 which I have tried to run, but I only got the help message or an error
 depending on if I add "--setup" or not ><

 should setup-gcc be present? if not, what is the correct way to call
 update-gcc?

OK, ibuclaw helped me over that hurdle over irc, it is now building (I think) ^^ My next stupid question, is once its compiled on the qemu chroot, how do I get it onto the RasPi? A...

Someone in IRC mentioned IPoAC. I think this is the way to go. ;-)

Pigeons?
Nov 13 2012
parent reply Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
On 13/11/2012 21:15, Iain Buclaw wrote:

 But really, you got network on Raspi?  Tarball up the binaries and scp
 across the wire.

You know the RasPi is networked, I gave you login details for it >< Its still building atm, do I do the tarballing after the make-install stage? I'll read the scp man page while I wait ^^ A...
Nov 14 2012
parent Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
On 14/11/2012 10:49, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 You know how to cp, you know how to ssh?  You should know how to scp. ;)

Assume I know nothing, its much safer, and probalbly quicker in the long run ^^ A...
Nov 14 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 11 November 2012 10:43, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.dot.com> wrote:
 You don't necessarily need a cross compiler to do the job. Set-up a
 raspbian chroot instead!

 There's some rough instructions here.

 http://superpiadventures.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/development-environment/


 You are also able to debug programs through qemu, though there's a
 hurdle you have to jump through.


 http://tinkering-is-fun.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/debugging-non-native-programs-with-qemu.html


 Regards,
 Iain.

The comments on the first article say that using qemu is as slow as compiling on the RasPi, and recommend using the cross-compiler instead.

Your milage may vary depending on what hardware you have. Personally I find it 3-4 times quicker to build (considering it takes about 24+ hours to built gdc on a RasPi device).
 I followed the instructs anyway, and all seemed to go well, but they just
 stop without detailing how to actually compile anything, or explaining what
 has been done ><

 A...

What's been done is a chroot system has been set-up with ARM binaries, instead of i386 or x86_64. qemu-debootstrap installs an executable qemu-arm-static inside this chroot, so when you try to run any ARM binaries, qemu kicks in and acts as an emulator. To compile, simply following the same instructions as per the gdc wiki. apt-get install all build deps, retrieve source, ./configure and make. :-) -- Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
Nov 11 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "David Nadlinger" <see klickverbot.at> writes:
On Sunday, 11 November 2012 at 11:22:52 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 Your milage may vary depending on what hardware you have.   
 Personally
 I find it 3-4 times quicker to build (considering it takes 
 about 24+
 hours to built gdc on a RasPi device).

6–8 hours to build?! I sure love building LDC on my ODROID-X. ;) David
Nov 11 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 11 November 2012 13:18, David Nadlinger <see klickverbot.at> wrote:
 On Sunday, 11 November 2012 at 11:22:52 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 Your milage may vary depending on what hardware you have.   Personally
 I find it 3-4 times quicker to build (considering it takes about 24+
 hours to built gdc on a RasPi device).

6=968 hours to build?! I sure love building LDC on my ODROID-X. ;) David

Ya, but how many lines of code is LDC vs GDC+GCC. :-) --=20 Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) =3D (c & 0x0f) + '0';
Nov 11 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 11 November 2012 15:13, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.dot.com> wrote:
 What's been done is a chroot system has been set-up with ARM binaries,
 instead of i386 or x86_64.  qemu-debootstrap installs an executable
 qemu-arm-static inside this chroot, so when you try to run any ARM
 binaries, qemu kicks in and acts as an emulator.

 To compile, simply following the same instructions as per the gdc
 wiki.   apt-get install all build deps, retrieve source, ./configure
 and make.  :-)

o.O you are still assuming I have way more pre-existing linux knowledge/experience than I actually do, I really do need this stuff explaining in tiny baby steps... I followed the instructions, pretty sure I will have messed up somewhere, read some more of the comments on the original qemu instructions and someone points out that if reports to be emulating the wrong arm processor, and no one has posted to say they have had any success, never a good sign >< A...

Don't think that would be the case for you. It works just fine, just make sure you are using the correct configure --target flag. -- Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
Nov 11 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 13 November 2012 13:09, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.dot.com> wrote:
 On 12/11/2012 20:27, Alix Pexton wrote:
 ./update-gcc.sh

 which I have tried to run, but I only got the help message or an error
 depending on if I add "--setup" or not ><

 should setup-gcc be present? if not, what is the correct way to call
 update-gcc?

OK, ibuclaw helped me over that hurdle over irc, it is now building (I think) ^^ My next stupid question, is once its compiled on the qemu chroot, how do I get it onto the RasPi? A...

Someone in IRC mentioned IPoAC. I think this is the way to go. ;-) -- Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
Nov 13 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 13 November 2012 19:09, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.dot.com> wrote:
 On 13/11/2012 15:31, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 On 13 November 2012 13:09, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.dot.com>
 wrote:
 On 12/11/2012 20:27, Alix Pexton wrote:
 ./update-gcc.sh

 which I have tried to run, but I only got the help message or an error
 depending on if I add "--setup" or not ><

 should setup-gcc be present? if not, what is the correct way to call
 update-gcc?

OK, ibuclaw helped me over that hurdle over irc, it is now building (I think) ^^ My next stupid question, is once its compiled on the qemu chroot, how do I get it onto the RasPi? A...

Someone in IRC mentioned IPoAC. I think this is the way to go. ;-)

Pigeons?

Yah, that is the way forward into the 22nd Century. :o) But really, you got network on Raspi? Tarball up the binaries and scp across the wire. -- Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
Nov 13 2012
prev sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 14 November 2012 09:46, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.dot.com> wrote:
 On 13/11/2012 21:15, Iain Buclaw wrote:

 But really, you got network on Raspi?  Tarball up the binaries and scp
 across the wire.

You know the RasPi is networked, I gave you login details for it >< Its still building atm, do I do the tarballing after the make-install stage? I'll read the scp man page while I wait ^^ A...

You know how to cp, you know how to ssh? You should know how to scp. ;) -- Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
Nov 14 2012
prev sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 10 November 2012 11:30, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.dot.com> wrote:
 On 10/11/2012 10:14, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 I just wanted you all to know that running Ubuntu 12.10 as a guest in
 VirtualBox is completely broken. I update by guest system from 12.04 to
 12.10 and it's so slow it's not usable. This is a known issue:

 https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11107

 That issue contains a pre-release of VirtualBox, I tried that on Mac OS
 X and it broken the Ubuntu guest even more. No title bar on the windows
 or any window frame actually.

What a coincidence, I just installed VirtualBox and was looking for advice on what distro of linux to install... All I want to be able to do with my VM is be able to build GDC for my RasPi (via all the hoops that are necessary to get cross compilation working), not bothered about any GUI stuff or bells/whistles, suggestions for a good distro to go with are welcome! A...

You don't necessarily need a cross compiler to do the job. Set-up a raspbian chroot instead! There's some rough instructions here. http://superpiadventures.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/development-environment/ You are also able to debug programs through qemu, though there's a hurdle you have to jump through. http://tinkering-is-fun.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/debugging-non-native-programs-with-qemu.html Regards, Iain. -- Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
Nov 10 2012