www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - [OT] Good^H^H^H^HAcceptable NG/email client?

reply Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
Couple months ago I came across ClawsMail which, at first,
seemed to actually be good enough to finally pull me away from Outlook
Express. Which was nice because I was getting really tired of OE's
issues: lack of spellcheck, can't send unicode, proprietary storage
format, certin NG postings only show up as blank posts with the content
as an attachment, and some other smaller issues. Because of that, I was
even willing put up with ClawsMail's use of that wretched GTK.

But aside from a few (umm, actually a LOT of) smaller quibbles with
ClawsMail that I'd been willing to overlook, I'm now noticing some
major flaws when typing a message:

1. Word wrap is a joke. Ie, it never
re-flows. Line lengths just keep shrinking as you edit. I
constantly have to rejoin partial lines of text. PITA.

2. Undo is *completely* broken. Period. Sometimes it works right. And
then sometimes it just starts trampling random parts of your text
*instead* of undoing whatever change you *just made*. Redo doesn't
always seem reliable either.

Thunderbird's gone nowhere but downhill last number of
years, just like Firefox. And I'm not a fan of Opera, and Win7's mail
program sucks.

Anyone know of a NG/email client, available on Win (preferably cross
platform
- I do want to switch to Lin eventually) that isn't shit?
Jul 24 2012
next sibling parent Gour <gour atmarama.net> writes:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 00:12:23 -0400
Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> wrote:

 Anyone know of a NG/email client, available on Win (preferably cross
 platform - I do want to switch to Lin eventually) that isn't shit?

I use Claws-mail for many years with (g)vim as external editor and it works great. Using gvim "+set ft=3Dmail" -f %s line to configure external text editor in Preferences. Vim completely annihilates your points 1) & 2). Sincerely, Gour =20 --=20 As a strong wind sweeps away a boat on the water,=20 even one of the roaming senses on which the mind=20 focuses can carry away a man's intelligence. http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810
Jul 24 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:44:03 +0200
Gour <gour atmarama.net> wrote:

 On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 00:12:23 -0400
 Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> wrote:
 
 Anyone know of a NG/email client, available on Win (preferably cross
 platform - I do want to switch to Lin eventually) that isn't shit?

I use Claws-mail for many years with (g)vim as external editor and it works great. Using gvim "+set ft=mail" -f %s line to configure external text editor in Preferences. Vim completely annihilates your points 1) & 2).

Thanks for the tip (I didn't know you could set up an external editor for Claws), although...ummm...how to put this without reigniting the age-old editor wars...Let's just say I'm not really much of a vi kinda guy ;) I guess I could find a different external editor, but it would be nice to have a more "proper" (well, "traditional" or "mainstream" I guess) email editing window, with the to/cc/bcc lines, subject line, attachments, address book, etc.
Jul 25 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Gour <gour atmarama.net> writes:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 03:27:30 -0400
Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> wrote:

 Thanks for the tip (I didn't know you could set up an external editor
 for Claws), although...ummm...how to put this without reigniting the
 age-old editor wars...Let's just say I'm not really much of a vi kinda
 guy ;)

Ok, use Emacs then. ;) The point is that vim (and Emacs) have support for 'mail' filetype which is not the case for e.g. Geany & SublimeText2 which I diched for that reason since they're not capable to replace my current Claws' external editor.
 I guess I could find a different external editor, but it would be
 nice to have a more "proper" (well, "traditional" or "mainstream" I
 guess) email editing window, with the to/cc/bcc lines, subject line,
 attachments, address book, etc.

Well, Vim (or Emacs) are used *just* for composing body text, the rest you do within Claws. Sincerely, Gour --=20 In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution,=20 and a little advancement on this path can protect=20 one from the most dangerous type of fear. http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810
Jul 25 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Paulo Pinto" <pjmlp progtools.org> writes:
On Wednesday, 25 July 2012 at 04:12:36 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 Couple months ago I came across ClawsMail which, at first,
 seemed to actually be good enough to finally pull me away from 
 Outlook
 Express. Which was nice because I was getting really tired of 
 OE's
 issues: lack of spellcheck, can't send unicode, proprietary 
 storage
 format, certin NG postings only show up as blank posts with the 
 content
 as an attachment, and some other smaller issues. Because of 
 that, I was
 even willing put up with ClawsMail's use of that wretched GTK.

 But aside from a few (umm, actually a LOT of) smaller quibbles 
 with
 ClawsMail that I'd been willing to overlook, I'm now noticing 
 some
 major flaws when typing a message:

 1. Word wrap is a joke. Ie, it never
 re-flows. Line lengths just keep shrinking as you edit. I
 constantly have to rejoin partial lines of text. PITA.

 2. Undo is *completely* broken. Period. Sometimes it works 
 right. And
 then sometimes it just starts trampling random parts of your 
 text
 *instead* of undoing whatever change you *just made*. Redo 
 doesn't
 always seem reliable either.

 Thunderbird's gone nowhere but downhill last number of
 years, just like Firefox. And I'm not a fan of Opera, and 
 Win7's mail
 program sucks.

 Anyone know of a NG/email client, available on Win (preferably 
 cross
 platform
 - I do want to switch to Lin eventually) that isn't shit?

Not sure what your problem with Thunderbird is, I am still an happy user of it. At work, due to software restrictions I am forced to live with Live Email, former Outlook Express for NG access.
Jul 25 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
On 25/07/2012 05:12, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[snip]
 Anyone know of a NG/email client, available on Win (preferably cross
 platform
 - I do want to switch to Lin eventually) that isn't shit?

Once upon a time, I used Emacs over telnet to check mail/news on my uni account from my parents place where there was only rural backwater dail-up (that was still billed per minute!) Overall I would not recommend the experience, but I did grow fond of the Emacs mail mode and used it exclusively for the rest of my time at uni. Chances are it has improved since then, but perhaps you can find a version of Emacs from 1998 on the wayback machine? A...
Jul 25 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
On 25/07/2012 05:12, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[snip]
 Anyone know of a NG/email client, available on Win (preferably cross
 platform
 - I do want to switch to Lin eventually) that isn't shit?

Once upon a time, I used Emacs over telnet to check mail/news on my uni account from my parents place where there was only rural backwater dail-up (that was still billed per minute!) Overall I would not recommend the experience, but I did grow fond of the Emacs mail mode and used it exclusively for the rest of my time at uni. Chances are it has improved since then, but perhaps you can find a version of Emacs from [REDACTED] on the wayback machine? A...
Jul 25 2012
parent Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton gmail.DOT.com> writes:
On 25/07/2012 09:30, Alix Pexton wrote:
 On 25/07/2012 05:12, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 [snip]
 Anyone know of a NG/email client, available on Win (preferably cross
 platform
 - I do want to switch to Lin eventually) that isn't shit?

Once upon a time, I used Emacs over telnet to check mail/news on my uni account from my parents place where there was only rural backwater dail-up (that was still billed per minute!) Overall I would not recommend the experience, but I did grow fond of the Emacs mail mode and used it exclusively for the rest of my time at uni. Chances are it has improved since then, but perhaps you can find a version of Emacs from [REDACTED] on the wayback machine? A...

PS I've just gone right off Thunderbird (which I only use for news) as its just reported posting failures that were not failures, hence my double posts, and no longer allows me to delete my own messages from the NG! /em goes to download Emacs!
Jul 25 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 7/24/2012 9:12 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
  Thunderbird's gone nowhere but downhill last number of
 years, just like Firefox.

I've been sorely tried by TB's calendar feature. 2 times now I've tediously entered in my events info, only to have next time I "upgrade" TB it blows away the calendar and all my data. (No, TB never warned me that by upgrading this would happen.) Pffft, never again will I bother with it. P.S. I think the calendar devs and the TB devs must hate each other with a purple passion.
Jul 25 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Kapps" <opantm2+spam gmail.com> writes:
Out of curiosity, what do you find wrong with the web interface?
Jul 26 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 03:18:01 +0200
"Kapps" <opantm2+spam gmail.com> wrote:

 Out of curiosity, what do you find wrong with the web interface?
 
 

It's a web interface.
Jul 26 2012
prev sibling parent "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> writes:
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:27:48PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 03:18:01 +0200
 "Kapps" <opantm2+spam gmail.com> wrote:
 
 Out of curiosity, what do you find wrong with the web interface?
 
 

It's a web interface.

Use mutt. ;-) T -- Valentine's Day: an occasion for florists to reach into the wallets of nominal lovers in dire need of being reminded to profess their hypothetical love for their long-forgotten.
Jul 27 2012