www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - [OT] Broken newsgroup threads in Thunderbird 3?

reply Lionello Lunesu <lio lunesu.remove.com> writes:
Is anybody else here experiencing problems with Thunderbird 3 RC? On my
laptop many post that are clearly replies to an existing thread appear
as new top-level posts.

When I first started using Thunderbird 3 beta this happened in my IMAP
folder as well, but I was able to fix that by setting
mail.strict_threading to false in the config editor. Unfortunately, I
can't seem to find a similar setting for controlling threading behavior
for the news reader.

Is this a bug in Thunderbird 3 beta/RC, or are those posts simply
broken, because of a broken web interface or something like that? Or is
there a problem with the news server?

L.
Dec 05 2009
next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound1 digitalmars.com> writes:
Lionello Lunesu wrote:
 Is anybody else here experiencing problems with Thunderbird 3 RC?

I use thunderbird 2.0.0.23 and am not having a problem here.
Dec 05 2009
parent Lionello Lunesu <lio lunesu.remove.com> writes:
On 6-12-2009 11:24, Walter Bright wrote:
 Lionello Lunesu wrote:
 Is anybody else here experiencing problems with Thunderbird 3 RC?

I use thunderbird 2.0.0.23 and am not having a problem here.

It was OK in 2.0 here too, so I thought it might have something to do with 3.0
Dec 06 2009
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer utulsa.edu> writes:
On 12/05/2009 08:21 PM, Lionello Lunesu wrote:
 Is anybody else here experiencing problems with Thunderbird 3 RC? On my
 laptop many post that are clearly replies to an existing thread appear
 as new top-level posts.

 When I first started using Thunderbird 3 beta this happened in my IMAP
 folder as well, but I was able to fix that by setting
 mail.strict_threading to false in the config editor. Unfortunately, I
 can't seem to find a similar setting for controlling threading behavior
 for the news reader.

 Is this a bug in Thunderbird 3 beta/RC, or are those posts simply
 broken, because of a broken web interface or something like that? Or is
 there a problem with the news server?

 L.

I'm on 3 beta and I haven't noticed an unusual amount top level REs. But yeah, there's something wonky about the news server
Dec 05 2009
parent Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer utulsa.edu> writes:
On 12/05/2009 09:28 PM, Ellery Newcomer wrote:
 On 12/05/2009 08:21 PM, Lionello Lunesu wrote:
 Is anybody else here experiencing problems with Thunderbird 3 RC? On my
 laptop many post that are clearly replies to an existing thread appear
 as new top-level posts.

 When I first started using Thunderbird 3 beta this happened in my IMAP
 folder as well, but I was able to fix that by setting
 mail.strict_threading to false in the config editor. Unfortunately, I
 can't seem to find a similar setting for controlling threading behavior
 for the news reader.

 Is this a bug in Thunderbird 3 beta/RC, or are those posts simply
 broken, because of a broken web interface or something like that? Or is
 there a problem with the news server?

 L.

I'm on 3 beta and I haven't noticed an unusual amount top level REs. But yeah, there's something wonky about the news server

cripes, speak of the devil
Dec 06 2009
prev sibling next sibling parent "Phil Deets" <pjdeets2 gmail.com> writes:
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 21:21:57 -0500, Lionello Lunesu  
<lio lunesu.remove.com> wrote:

 On my laptop many post that are clearly replies to an existing thread  
 appear
 as new top-level posts.

I use Opera 10.10 and this happens to me too.
Dec 05 2009
prev sibling next sibling parent BLS <windevguy hotmail.de> writes:
On 06/12/2009 03:21, Lionello Lunesu wrote:
 Is anybody else here experiencing problems with Thunderbird 3 RC? On my
 laptop many post that are clearly replies to an existing thread appear
 as new top-level posts.

Yeah, exactly the same problem. 2.x worked fine. also the tabbed view drives me crazy, will switch back to 2. Björn
Dec 06 2009
prev sibling parent reply Bernard Helyer <b.helyer gmail.com> writes:
On 06/12/09 15:21, Lionello Lunesu wrote:
 Is anybody else here experiencing problems with Thunderbird 3 RC? On my
 laptop many post that are clearly replies to an existing thread appear
 as new top-level posts.

 When I first started using Thunderbird 3 beta this happened in my IMAP
 folder as well, but I was able to fix that by setting
 mail.strict_threading to false in the config editor. Unfortunately, I
 can't seem to find a similar setting for controlling threading behavior
 for the news reader.

 Is this a bug in Thunderbird 3 beta/RC, or are those posts simply
 broken, because of a broken web interface or something like that? Or is
 there a problem with the news server?

 L.

With rc1 I had this problem, but rc2 has (touch wood) seemed to have ironed out the kinks.
Dec 06 2009
parent Lionello Lunesu <lio lunesu.remove.com> writes:
On 6-12-2009 19:45, Bernard Helyer wrote:
 With rc1 I had this problem, but rc2 has (touch wood) seemed to have
 ironed out the kinks.

rc2! yeey!
Dec 06 2009