www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - New look & feel for std.algorithm

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org, 
which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at 
www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In 
particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of 
std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is 
the current form: 
http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


Thanks,

Andrei
Apr 03 2011
next sibling parent reply "Robert Jacques" <sandford jhu.edu> writes:
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 01:58:56 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu  
<SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,  
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at  
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In  
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of  
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is  
 the current form:  
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

I like the general organizational concept, but there are definitely layout issues with Opera, principally, there is over a screen's worth of white space between Cheat Sheet and the actual start of the cheat sheet and the header appears to be formatted incorrectly: Comments D Search Home are bullit-points and there is "D Programming Language 2.0" and "Last update Mon Apr 4 00:52:41 2011" in black text on dark gray with no-margin space at the top. A quick check with Chrome, indicates it has the same issues with the header.
Apr 03 2011
next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 1:09 AM, Robert Jacques wrote:
 On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 01:58:56 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
 <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This
 is the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

I like the general organizational concept, but there are definitely layout issues with Opera, principally, there is over a screen's worth of white space between Cheat Sheet and the actual start of the cheat sheet and the header appears to be formatted incorrectly: Comments D Search Home are bullit-points and there is "D Programming Language 2.0" and "Last update Mon Apr 4 00:52:41 2011" in black text on dark gray with no-margin space at the top. A quick check with Chrome, indicates it has the same issues with the header.

Got it, must be a simple boo-boo. Thanks. Andrei
Apr 03 2011
prev sibling parent "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 02:09:49 -0400, Robert Jacques <sandford jhu.edu>  
wrote:

 On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 01:58:56 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu  
 <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,  
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at  
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In  
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of  
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This  
 is the current form:  
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

I like the general organizational concept, but there are definitely layout issues with Opera, principally, there is over a screen's worth of white space between Cheat Sheet and the actual start of the cheat sheet

Note, this is the same for std.container for me on opera (which is actually on digitalmars.com). Firefox seems to show this correctly. -Steve
Apr 04 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On 2011-04-03 22:58, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

It looks good overall, but I'd suggest making the section headings stand out more. As it is, I completely missed them while looking over the list and was about to suggest that putting them in alphabetical order would be a good idea - and then I noticed the section headings. Granted, I was more or less skimming the text rather than reading it carefully, but even if I look for the section headers, they just don't stand out. A larger space between sections would help, and perhaps the headings' font should be larger. An actual line around the section header instead of just a slight coloring of blue would be a definite help as well. Maybe there's a better way to make the section headers stand out than that, but as it stands, they don't stand out. So, I'd suggest doing something which makes them stand out more. Overall though, the table looks good. - Jonathan M Davis
Apr 03 2011
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 1:10 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
 On 2011-04-03 22:58, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

It looks good overall, but I'd suggest making the section headings stand out more. As it is, I completely missed them while looking over the list and was about to suggest that putting them in alphabetical order would be a good idea - and then I noticed the section headings. Granted, I was more or less skimming the text rather than reading it carefully, but even if I look for the section headers, they just don't stand out. A larger space between sections would help, and perhaps the headings' font should be larger. An actual line around the section header instead of just a slight coloring of blue would be a definite help as well. Maybe there's a better way to make the section headers stand out than that, but as it stands, they don't stand out. So, I'd suggest doing something which makes them stand out more. Overall though, the table looks good. - Jonathan M Davis

From the three paragraphs I got: Make section headers stand out. Noted :o). Andrei
Apr 03 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply KennyTM~ <kennytm gmail.com> writes:
On Apr 4, 11 13:58, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues.

www.digitalmars.com? For www.d-programming-language.org, it is still not possible to navigate to other parts of the language reference from http://www.d-programming-language.org/lex.html. Compare with http://www.d-programming-language.org/module.html where the table of content is visible.
 In particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

Yay much more organized :) The 'uninitializedFill' function in the 1st table is split into 'unini- tializedFill'. In the 2nd table, some function links are in bold (e.g. canFind) while some are not (e.g. find). The former have the 'd_inlinecode' class and the latter are only styled with <font face>.
 Thanks,

 Andrei

Apr 03 2011
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 1:13 AM, KennyTM~ wrote:
 On Apr 4, 11 13:58, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues.

www.digitalmars.com?

Sorry...
 For www.d-programming-language.org, it is still not possible to navigate
 to other parts of the language reference from
 http://www.d-programming-language.org/lex.html.
 Compare with http://www.d-programming-language.org/module.html where the
 table of content is visible.

 In particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

Yay much more organized :) The 'uninitializedFill' function in the 1st table is split into 'unini- tializedFill'.

Yah, there's hyphenation going on.
 In the 2nd table, some function links are in bold (e.g. canFind) while
 some are not (e.g. find). The former have the 'd_inlinecode' class and
 the latter are only styled with <font face>.

Just fixed. Thanks, Andrei
Apr 03 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent "Nick Sabalausky" <a a.a> writes:
"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote in message 
news:inbmtk$g7q$1 digitalmars.com...
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

The header on d-programming-language.org is messed up. See attached screenshot.
Apr 03 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 12:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

OK, fixed issues raised except for Jonathan's request (for now). Thanks for the feedback, and please give it a second try. www.d-programming-language.org www.d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/ Andrei
Apr 04 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg gmx.com> writes:
On 2011-04-03 23:22, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 4/4/11 1:10 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
 On 2011-04-03 22:58, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

It looks good overall, but I'd suggest making the section headings stand out more. As it is, I completely missed them while looking over the list and was about to suggest that putting them in alphabetical order would be a good idea - and then I noticed the section headings. Granted, I was more or less skimming the text rather than reading it carefully, but even if I look for the section headers, they just don't stand out. A larger space between sections would help, and perhaps the headings' font should be larger. An actual line around the section header instead of just a slight coloring of blue would be a definite help as well. Maybe there's a better way to make the section headers stand out than that, but as it stands, they don't stand out. So, I'd suggest doing something which makes them stand out more. Overall though, the table looks good. - Jonathan M Davis

From the three paragraphs I got: Make section headers stand out. Noted :o).

LOL. Obviously, I'm not exactly the tersest fellow around... - Jonathan M Davis
Apr 04 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 4/3/2011 10:58 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 In particular, we've discussed a while ago the
 new look and feel of std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later
 modules.

Me like.
Apr 04 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Piotr Szturmaj <bncrbme jadamspam.pl> writes:
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Personally, I think that d_inlinecode font is too big: http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/8164/ss20110404113021.png It is hard to read, especially when "switching" between normal code and those big font snippets. This looks better to me: http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/1304/ss20110404113122.png
Apr 04 2011
next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 4:37 AM, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Personally, I think that d_inlinecode font is too big: http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/8164/ss20110404113021.png It is hard to read, especially when "switching" between normal code and those big font snippets. This looks better to me: http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/1304/ss20110404113122.png

Fixed. Andrei
Apr 04 2011
prev sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-04-04 11:37, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Personally, I think that d_inlinecode font is too big: http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/8164/ss20110404113021.png

That is just enormous. How can it be so big?
 It is hard to read, especially when "switching" between normal code and
 those big font snippets.

 This looks better to me:
 http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/1304/ss20110404113122.png

-- /Jacob Carlborg
Apr 04 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-04-04 07:58, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Is both the cheat sheet and the top list of functions necessary? Seems a bit redundant. The left side of the cheat sheet looks cluttered. Maybe just a simplified version of the function declarations, i.e. without the template constraints and similar? The function declarations (in the part after the cheat sheet) should stand out more, lager font and/or bold. I think the documentation looks cluttered because of so much use of bold font in the middle of the text. Overall it's an improvement. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Apr 04 2011
parent reply Piotr Szturmaj <bncrbme jadamspam.pl> writes:
Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 The function declarations (in the part after the cheat sheet) should
 stand out more, lager font and/or bold.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/5825/ss20110404193228.png I was just playing with the CSS. What do you think?
Apr 04 2011
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 12:37 PM, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 The function declarations (in the part after the cheat sheet) should
 stand out more, lager font and/or bold.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/5825/ss20110404193228.png I was just playing with the CSS. What do you think?

Not half bad to me. Code? Andrei
Apr 04 2011
parent Piotr Szturmaj <bncrbme jadamspam.pl> writes:
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 4/4/11 12:37 PM, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 The function declarations (in the part after the cheat sheet) should
 stand out more, lager font and/or bold.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/5825/ss20110404193228.png I was just playing with the CSS. What do you think?

Not half bad to me. Code?

Of course :) .d_decl { font-weight: bold; background-color: white; border-top: solid black 1px; border-bottom: solid black 1px; padding: 2px 0px 2px 2px; } I've also added some padding.
Apr 04 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ary Manzana <ary esperanto.org.ar> writes:
On 4/4/11 2:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

It looks nice, but I think the font is very hard to read. For example I can hardly read the function listing at the top. Compare this: http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html To this: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Enumerable.html (note that it's *not* because I like ruby, it's just that I find the second one much more readable). Also notice in the documentation in Ruby each function/method has a gray header that clearly shows where a function starts and ends. Apparently in the documentation for D no style is applied to the function/method at all, making it hard to distinguish from its description. So comparing the two sites, in Ruby I can see: * The module description is clearly separated from everything else (a gray rectangle with the text) * *Then* comes the method listing in a nice and readble font * The come the functions, each one having a well distinguished header In the D site I can see a waterfall of text, it's very hard to note the structure at all.
Apr 04 2011
next sibling parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 12:24 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
 On 4/4/11 2:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

It looks nice, but I think the font is very hard to read. For example I can hardly read the function listing at the top. Compare this: http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html To this: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Enumerable.html

Could you please post two screenshots so I can see what you see? Thanks!
 (note that it's *not* because I like ruby, it's just that I find the
 second one much more readable).

 Also notice in the documentation in Ruby each function/method has a gray
 header that clearly shows where a function starts and ends. Apparently
 in the documentation for D no style is applied to the function/method at
 all, making it hard to distinguish from its description.

 So comparing the two sites, in Ruby I can see:
 * The module description is clearly separated from everything else (a
 gray rectangle with the text)
 * *Then* comes the method listing in a nice and readble font
 * The come the functions, each one having a well distinguished header

 In the D site I can see a waterfall of text, it's very hard to note the
 structure at all.

That's a very good point. I'll look into that, and will ask David Gileadi for help too. Andrei
Apr 04 2011
parent reply Ary Manzana <ary esperanto.org.ar> writes:
On 4/4/11 2:35 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 4/4/11 12:24 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
 On 4/4/11 2:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

It looks nice, but I think the font is very hard to read. For example I can hardly read the function listing at the top. Compare this: http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html To this: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Enumerable.html

Could you please post two screenshots so I can see what you see? Thanks!

Sure, but you can open them in a browser... D: http://img59.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110404at242.png/ Ruby: http://img189.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110404at242.png/ (you have to click on the magnifying glass to see them full size)
Apr 04 2011
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 12:46 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
 On 4/4/11 2:35 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 4/4/11 12:24 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
 On 4/4/11 2:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

It looks nice, but I think the font is very hard to read. For example I can hardly read the function listing at the top. Compare this: http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html To this: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Enumerable.html

Could you please post two screenshots so I can see what you see? Thanks!

Sure, but you can open them in a browser... D: http://img59.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110404at242.png/ Ruby: http://img189.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110404at242.png/ (you have to click on the magnifying glass to see them full size)

Thanks. Which text is causing you trouble? The function names in the first table use a fallback font on your machine but I still find that readable. Andrei
Apr 04 2011
parent reply Ary Manzana <ary esperanto.org.ar> writes:
On 4/4/11 3:00 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 4/4/11 12:46 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
 On 4/4/11 2:35 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 4/4/11 12:24 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
 On 4/4/11 2:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

It looks nice, but I think the font is very hard to read. For example I can hardly read the function listing at the top. Compare this: http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html To this: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Enumerable.html

Could you please post two screenshots so I can see what you see? Thanks!

Sure, but you can open them in a browser... D: http://img59.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110404at242.png/ Ruby: http://img189.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110404at242.png/ (you have to click on the magnifying glass to see them full size)

Thanks. Which text is causing you trouble? The function names in the first table use a fallback font on your machine but I still find that readable. Andrei

Maybe it's just the camel case, largestPartialIntersection versus largest_partial_intersection, nevermind... Or the fonts are too big but not too wide, maybe that's what make it harder to read for me.
Apr 04 2011
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 1:13 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
 On 4/4/11 3:00 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 4/4/11 12:46 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
 On 4/4/11 2:35 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 4/4/11 12:24 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
 On 4/4/11 2:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

It looks nice, but I think the font is very hard to read. For example I can hardly read the function listing at the top. Compare this: http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html To this: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Enumerable.html

Could you please post two screenshots so I can see what you see? Thanks!

Sure, but you can open them in a browser... D: http://img59.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110404at242.png/ Ruby: http://img189.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110404at242.png/ (you have to click on the magnifying glass to see them full size)

Thanks. Which text is causing you trouble? The function names in the first table use a fallback font on your machine but I still find that readable. Andrei

Maybe it's just the camel case, largestPartialIntersection versus largest_partial_intersection, nevermind... Or the fonts are too big but not too wide, maybe that's what make it harder to read for me.

I think one difference is the distinct background. I'll experiment with that, and I suggest you all do, too. Andrei
Apr 04 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
On 4/4/11, Ary Manzana <ary esperanto.org.ar> wrote:
 Maybe it's just the camel case, largestPartialIntersection versus
 largest_partial_intersection, nevermind... Or the fonts are too big but
 not too wide, maybe that's what make it harder to read for me.

For the fonts, if you're running Firefox you should get these two plugins: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/font-finder/ https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/font-replacer/ The first one will let you know which font is in use, and the second one can be used to replace one font with another. I don't think it works per-website though. Also there's this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/default-fullzoom-level/ It lets you set zoom levels per-website and globally. Maybe that will help.
Apr 04 2011
prev sibling parent =?UTF-8?B?QWxla3NhbmRhciBSdcW+acSNacSH?= <ruzicic.aleksandar gmail.com> writes:
This is much better than current style of documentation. But still I
find D (phobos) documentation hard to read because there are dozens
functions on one page.

I think that's ok for reference documentation, but I think that for
newcomers (myself included) is much easier to follow documentation in
form of a manual where every function has it's own page with more than
one example. Just like PHP Manual. I think their feature of user
submitted comments/examples per each function is great.

Ideally I would like to see both options, reference per module to
quickly find a function I need (just like what we have now) and
dedicated page for each function.

I know that this cannot be made by it self and that some men/hours
must be spent to make it happen, so I'm willing to offer my help to
build this (I'm professional web developer, with a skill set of
html\css\javascript\php\mysql and some basic photoshop know-how) if
there is any chance this proposal be accepted.

Regards,
Aleksandar
Apr 04 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 12:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Made one more pass, acted on various comments. http://d-programming-language.org/phobos/std_algorithm.html Andrei
Apr 04 2011
next sibling parent "Robert Jacques" <sandford jhu.edu> writes:
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 16:42:38 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu  
<SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 On 4/4/11 12:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Made one more pass, acted on various comments. http://d-programming-language.org/phobos/std_algorithm.html Andrei

Hi Andrei, I've traced down the rendering "bug" in Opera. DDoc is generating invalid html (no surprise given that validator.w3.org shows, 200 Errors and 10 warnings). The problem error comes from <p></p> being added after the </tr>. For example: <table> <tr> <th>Month</th> <th>Savings</th> </tr><p></p> <tr> <td>January</td> <td>$100</td> </tr><p></p> </table> Which isn't valid html and is generating ~62 of those 200 errors. How Opera renders this is by moving the <p></p> pairs out and above the <table></table>, which causes a bunch of blank lines to occur between the caption and the table. How to fix it: So what's happening is that DDoc is generating a <p></p> for every blank line in the source doc section, so a quick solution which works is to remove the extra line breaks from the source file. i.e. Replace this: $(BOOKTABLE $(TEXTWITHCOMMAS Container primitives. Below, $(D C) means a _container type, $(D c) is a value of _container type, $(D n$(SUB x)) represents the effective length of value $(D x), which could be a single element (in which case $(D n$(SUB x)) is $(D 1)), a _container, or a range.), $(TR $(TH Syntax) $(TH $(BIGOH &middot;)) $(TH Description)) $(TR $(TDNW $(D C(x))) $(TDNW $(D n$(SUB x))) $(TD Creates a _container of type $(D C) from either another _container or a range.)) $(TR $(TDNW $(D c.dup)) $(TDNW $(D n$(SUB c))) $(TD Returns a duplicate of the _container.)) $(TR $(TDNW $(D c ~ x)) $(TDNW $(D n$(SUB c) + n$(SUB x))) $(TD Returns the concatenation of $(D c) and $(D r). $(D x) may be a single element or an input range.)) with this: $(BOOKTABLE $(TEXTWITHCOMMAS Container primitives. Below, $(D C) means a _container type, $(D c) is a value of _container type, $(D n$(SUB x)) represents the effective length of value $(D x), which could be a single element (in which case $(D n$(SUB x)) is $(D 1)), a _container, or a range.), $(TR $(TH Syntax) $(TH $(BIGOH &middot;)) $(TH Description)) $(TR $(TDNW $(D C(x))) $(TDNW $(D n$(SUB x))) $(TD Creates a _container of type $(D C) from either another _container or a range.)) $(TR $(TDNW $(D c.dup)) $(TDNW $(D n$(SUB c))) $(TD Returns a duplicate of the _container.)) $(TR $(TDNW $(D c ~ x)) $(TDNW $(D n$(SUB c) + n$(SUB x))) $(TD Returns the concatenation of $(D c) and $(D r). $(D x) may be a single element or an input range.)) Long term, we should probably fix the ddoc file to handle this properly, but to do this we'd need to be able to redefine the P ddoc tag inside the TABLE tag and then reset it afterwards, and I don't if/how that can be done in ddoc. P.S. The ability to view the source of a web page, edit it, preview/save the result and run your modification through a validator in Opera is just awesome.
Apr 04 2011
prev sibling parent Ary Manzana <ary esperanto.org.ar> writes:
On 4/4/11 5:42 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 4/4/11 12:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Made one more pass, acted on various comments. http://d-programming-language.org/phobos/std_algorithm.html Andrei

I really like it now :-)
Apr 05 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply user domain.invalid writes:
On 4-4-2011 7:58, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

Great. Love the cheat sheet. BTW canFind find("hello world", "or") returns true. Should that not be: canFind canFind("hello world", "or") returns true. Jos
Apr 05 2011
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 04/05/2011 06:39 PM, user domain.invalid wrote:
 On 4-4-2011 7:58, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

Great. Love the cheat sheet. BTW canFind find("hello world", "or") returns true. Should that not be: canFind canFind("hello world", "or") returns true. Jos

Thanks. Got a fix for that, too, from klickverbot. https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/26 Andrei
Apr 06 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 12:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Updated once more (thanks David Gileadi) - added the logo to the top left. Added hyphenation throughout the site - helps text quality significantly. Merged a couple more fixes from David. Andrei
Apr 05 2011
parent Adam D. Ruppe <destructionator gmail.com> writes:
Andrei wrote:
 Updated once more

Wow, that's starting to look really good! Nice work, everybody.
Apr 05 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/4/11 12:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Opera rendering issues should be fixed now. Andrei
Apr 05 2011
parent "Robert Jacques" <sandford jhu.edu> writes:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 00:52:26 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu  
<SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 On 4/4/11 12:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Opera rendering issues should be fixed now. Andrei

Thanks. I've checked and it looks great now.
Apr 05 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply MIURA Masahiro <echochamber gmail.com> writes:
Looks clean and professional.  I like it.

A typo:  In Cheat Sheet / Iteration / group,
tuple(5, 1) is written twice.
Apr 06 2011
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 04/06/2011 02:06 AM, MIURA Masahiro wrote:
 Looks clean and professional. I like it.

 A typo: In Cheat Sheet / Iteration / group,
 tuple(5, 1) is written twice.

Thanks! We got a fix already: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/26 Andrei
Apr 06 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply David Nadlinger <see klickverbot.at> writes:
On 4/4/11 7:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 There were also a number of bugs on www.d-programming-language.org,
 which David Gileadi kindly took care of. Please take a look at
 www.digitalmars.com and let me know if you find any issues. In
 particular, we've discussed a while ago the new look and feel of
 std.algorithm, which will serve as an example for later modules. This is
 the current form:
 http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html

I just opened pull requests for Phobos and d-p-l.org, fixing the most obvious HTML errors and also a few issues mentioned in this thread. However, there are still a few pieces of invalid HTML left, most of them because DDoc doesn't escape spaces in the »I'm feeling lucky« URLs – any ideas how to fix that? David
Apr 06 2011
parent Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
Also, on some pages there's still a Digg button. Other than the fact
that Digg is practically dead (everybody who knows about Digg seems to
admit this from what I can tell), I don't see a reason why it's there
on some pages while not on the others, e.g.:

http://d-programming-language.org/hijack.html <- digg button
http://d-programming-language.org/migrate-to-shared.html <- no digg button

I say we just kill it.
Apr 08 2011
prev sibling parent Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
There seems to be some weird spacing on the articles page, link
section "Migrating           to shared":
http://i.imgur.com/dqdub.png
Apr 08 2011