www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Mango, DSource, and CGIHTML

reply Morgan McDermott <morganmcdermott gmail.com> writes:
I've been experimenting around with D for a couple of days now, and I'm 
really starting to like it. And, although the available code-base is not 
as plentiful as for other languages (C), porting code to D from C is 
feasible.
  Right now I'm trying to get some basic features for a web-application 
designed in D. From the little I've read about the Mango project, it 
appears that people have already put a lot of time into generating 
useful code for D-web-applications, but sadly DSource.org seems to be down.
   I was unable to locate any mirrors, so I looked about for other 
options and found the CGIHTML project for C. At this point I'm not sure 
whether I should port CGIHTML to D, or find a way to get mango.. Any 
suggestions?

Links:
	http://www.dsource.org/
	http://www.eekim.com/software/cgihtml/
Nov 12 2006
next sibling parent reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Morgan McDermott wrote:
 I've been experimenting around with D for a couple of days now, and I'm 
 really starting to like it. And, although the available code-base is not 
 as plentiful as for other languages (C), porting code to D from C is 
 feasible.
  Right now I'm trying to get some basic features for a web-application 
 designed in D. From the little I've read about the Mango project, it 
 appears that people have already put a lot of time into generating 
 useful code for D-web-applications, but sadly DSource.org seems to be down.
   I was unable to locate any mirrors, so I looked about for other 
 options and found the CGIHTML project for C. At this point I'm not sure 
 whether I should port CGIHTML to D, or find a way to get mango.. Any 
 suggestions?
 
 Links:
     http://www.dsource.org/
     http://www.eekim.com/software/cgihtml/

dsource.org is going through a hardware upgrade, it should be back up within the next week or so, but I can not be sure. ~ Clay
Nov 12 2006
parent reply Morgan McDermott <morganmcdermott gmail.com> writes:
clayasaurus wrote:
 Morgan McDermott wrote:
 I've been experimenting around with D for a couple of days now, and 
 I'm really starting to like it. And, although the available code-base 
 is not as plentiful as for other languages (C), porting code to D from 
 C is feasible.
  Right now I'm trying to get some basic features for a web-application 
 designed in D. From the little I've read about the Mango project, it 
 appears that people have already put a lot of time into generating 
 useful code for D-web-applications, but sadly DSource.org seems to be 
 down.
   I was unable to locate any mirrors, so I looked about for other 
 options and found the CGIHTML project for C. At this point I'm not 
 sure whether I should port CGIHTML to D, or find a way to get mango.. 
 Any suggestions?

 Links:
     http://www.dsource.org/
     http://www.eekim.com/software/cgihtml/

dsource.org is going through a hardware upgrade, it should be back up within the next week or so, but I can not be sure. ~ Clay

Would anyone be willing to send me a recent copy of Mango? If so, I can create a temporary FTP account to my site, for ease of transfer.
Nov 12 2006
parent reply "Tiberiu Gal" <galtiberiu gmail.com> writes:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:04:11 +0200, Morgan McDermott  
<morganmcdermott gmail.com> wrote:

 Would anyone be willing to send me a recent copy of Mango? If so, I can  
 create a temporary FTP account to my site, for ease of transfer.

I can send you the last svn trunk, and/or the last stable version(2.0) -- Tiberiu Gal
Nov 12 2006
parent Morgan McDermott <morganmcdermott gmail.com> writes:
Tiberiu Gal wrote:
 On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:04:11 +0200, Morgan McDermott 
 <morganmcdermott gmail.com> wrote:
 
 Would anyone be willing to send me a recent copy of Mango? If so, I 
 can create a temporary FTP account to my site, for ease of transfer.

I can send you the last svn trunk, and/or the last stable version(2.0) --Tiberiu Gal

Thank you for your help, Tiberiu. I have last SVN trunk, and it appears to be everything I hoped that it would =).
Nov 12 2006
prev sibling parent reply pragma <ericanderton yahoo.com> writes:
Morgan McDermott wrote:
 I've been experimenting around with D for a couple of days now, and I'm 
 really starting to like it. And, although the available code-base is not 
 as plentiful as for other languages (C), porting code to D from C is 
 feasible.
  Right now I'm trying to get some basic features for a web-application 
 designed in D. From the little I've read about the Mango project, it 
 appears that people have already put a lot of time into generating 
 useful code for D-web-applications, but sadly DSource.org seems to be down.
   I was unable to locate any mirrors, so I looked about for other 
 options and found the CGIHTML project for C. At this point I'm not sure 
 whether I should port CGIHTML to D, or find a way to get mango.. Any 
 suggestions?
 
 Links:
     http://www.dsource.org/
     http://www.eekim.com/software/cgihtml/

I see that another D'er in this group hooked you up with Mango. So I'll offer my $0.02 instead. :) FWIW, I've done some research on the same front (DSP and DDL). Another fellow was working on a FastCGI implementation, and I vaguely recall someone else asking about composing an Apache module, here on the DNG. There may be other undisclosed solutions out there... who knows. You're dead on about the D codebase though. What is clear to me is that the critical missing piece are some serious man-hours spent testing the various D libraries out there for their usefulness in making web applications. This goes well beyond Phobos and Mango and touches on things like smart string handling, i18n, XML, XSLT, JSON, WDDX, SOAP and so forth. It's like this massive bowl of alphabet soup that's just waiting for someone to dive in. So regardless of how you, or any of us proceed, having a solution now is key so that the community can take a crack at getting a D web toolkit put together. CGIHTML seems as good a solution as any to get us there, so I say it's quite feasible. Go for it.
Nov 12 2006
parent reply Morgan McDermott <morganmcdermott gmail.com> writes:
pragma wrote:
 Morgan McDermott wrote:
 I've been experimenting around with D for a couple of days now, and 
 I'm really starting to like it. And, although the available code-base 
 is not as plentiful as for other languages (C), porting code to D from 
 C is feasible.
  Right now I'm trying to get some basic features for a web-application 
 designed in D. From the little I've read about the Mango project, it 
 appears that people have already put a lot of time into generating 
 useful code for D-web-applications, but sadly DSource.org seems to be 
 down.
   I was unable to locate any mirrors, so I looked about for other 
 options and found the CGIHTML project for C. At this point I'm not 
 sure whether I should port CGIHTML to D, or find a way to get mango.. 
 Any suggestions?

 Links:
     http://www.dsource.org/
     http://www.eekim.com/software/cgihtml/

I see that another D'er in this group hooked you up with Mango. So I'll offer my $0.02 instead. :) FWIW, I've done some research on the same front (DSP and DDL). Another fellow was working on a FastCGI implementation, and I vaguely recall someone else asking about composing an Apache module, here on the DNG. There may be other undisclosed solutions out there... who knows. You're dead on about the D codebase though. What is clear to me is that the critical missing piece are some serious man-hours spent testing the various D libraries out there for their usefulness in making web applications. This goes well beyond Phobos and Mango and touches on things like smart string handling, i18n, XML, XSLT, JSON, WDDX, SOAP and so forth. It's like this massive bowl of alphabet soup that's just waiting for someone to dive in. So regardless of how you, or any of us proceed, having a solution now is key so that the community can take a crack at getting a D web toolkit put together. CGIHTML seems as good a solution as any to get us there, so I say it's quite feasible. Go for it.

Hmm.. The CGIHTML port would be a quick-and-easy solution for me right now, so I may go in that direction, but I've been considering writing an Apache module for a while. I have the one book I can find on the subject (O'Reilly's Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C), and I might turn to that solution simply because I was planning to use Apache for this project anyway, and Apache has neat features to hook into [ storing state information in web-server memory, etc].
Nov 13 2006
parent Pragma <ericanderton yahoo.removeme.com> writes:
Morgan McDermott wrote:
  Hmm.. The CGIHTML port would be a quick-and-easy solution for me right 
 now, so I may go in that direction, but I've been considering writing an 
 Apache module for a while. I have the one book I can find on the subject 
  (O'Reilly's Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C), and I might turn 
 to that solution simply because I was planning to use Apache for this 
 project anyway, and Apache has neat features to hook into [ storing 
 state information in web-server memory, etc].

An apache module for D would be very nice to have. I made a stab at writing one about 1.5 years ago, to support DSP when it was in its infancy. The major problem I ran into was that the Apache bindings, as provided, are encrusted with #define statements that are used to build your module - they pretty much assume you're using GCC, and little else. You're also right about Apache's resource management. It has all kinds of goodies, including memory pools for pseudo-GC-style coding. I have no clue how exploitable all those bells-and-whistles are, as I never made it that far. That said, a lot has changed in that amount of time. Probably crafting a C-to-D bridge would probably do wonders for this. The source for mod_python is another possible place to hack around, aside from mod_perl. Good luck! -- - EricAnderton at yahoo
Nov 14 2006