www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Macro system in D

reply Yigal Chripun <yigal100 gmail.com> writes:
Here's an interesting article (PDF) discussing the Nemerle Macro system:
http://nemerle.org/metaprogramming.pdf

Could D adopt a similar design? What do you think?

--Yigal
May 07 2008
next sibling parent reply Dan <murpsoft hotmail.com> writes:
Yigal Chripun Wrote:

 Here's an interesting article (PDF) discussing the Nemerle Macro system:
 http://nemerle.org/metaprogramming.pdf
 
 Could D adopt a similar design? What do you think?
 
 --Yigal

D is not Nemerle. D does not use macros. D does not have syntax tree reflection, let alone built into the language. D most probably will not adopt a similar design.
May 07 2008
parent Yigal Chripun <yigal100 gmail.com> writes:
Dan wrote:
 Yigal Chripun Wrote:
 
 Here's an interesting article (PDF) discussing the Nemerle Macro system:
 http://nemerle.org/metaprogramming.pdf

 Could D adopt a similar design? What do you think?

 --Yigal

D is not Nemerle. D does not use macros. D does not have syntax tree reflection, let alone built into the language. D most probably will not adopt a similar design.

in the last D conference Walter did mention AST Macros. It probably just got postponed because of the const design. I hope D does get such a feature since it's a very powerful concept.
May 07 2008
prev sibling parent reply Robert Fraser <fraserofthenight gmail.com> writes:
Yigal Chripun wrote:
 Here's an interesting article (PDF) discussing the Nemerle Macro system:
 http://nemerle.org/metaprogramming.pdf
 
 Could D adopt a similar design? What do you think?
 
 --Yigal

D was getting macros (though not exactly the same as Nemerle's). In fact, there's even a macro.c in the DMD source. But I'm not sure if they've been dropped by the wayside; Walter hasn't mentioned them since the conference last year.
May 07 2008
parent reply Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> writes:
Robert Fraser wrote:
 Yigal Chripun wrote:
 Here's an interesting article (PDF) discussing the Nemerle Macro system:
 http://nemerle.org/metaprogramming.pdf

 Could D adopt a similar design? What do you think?

 --Yigal

D was getting macros (though not exactly the same as Nemerle's). In fact, there's even a macro.c in the DMD source. But I'm not sure if they've been dropped by the wayside; Walter hasn't mentioned them since the conference last year.

macro.c in the DMD sources is about DDOC macros. --bb
May 07 2008
parent Robert Fraser <fraserofthenight gmail.com> writes:
Bill Baxter wrote:
 Robert Fraser wrote:
 Yigal Chripun wrote:
 Here's an interesting article (PDF) discussing the Nemerle Macro system:
 http://nemerle.org/metaprogramming.pdf

 Could D adopt a similar design? What do you think?

 --Yigal

D was getting macros (though not exactly the same as Nemerle's). In fact, there's even a macro.c in the DMD source. But I'm not sure if they've been dropped by the wayside; Walter hasn't mentioned them since the conference last year.

macro.c in the DMD sources is about DDOC macros. --bb

Oops, my bad
May 07 2008