www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Libraries?

reply "David B. Held" <dheld codelogicconsulting.com> writes:
DTL looks like it was vaporware for 2+ years, and is now just barely 
taking shape.  DWT went the way of the Dodo, and now we have DForms and 
TioPort.  What's the deal?  Why was DWT abandoned?

Dave
Mar 18 2007
parent reply torhu <fake address.dude> writes:
David B. Held wrote:
 DTL looks like it was vaporware for 2+ years, and is now just barely 
 taking shape.  DWT went the way of the Dodo, and now we have DForms and 
 TioPort.  What's the deal?  Why was DWT abandoned?

AFAIK, dtl is still a dead project. DWT was abandoned by it's original author, and I don't think anyone else has been given write access to the repository. And right now, everyone is probably waiting to see what will become of tioport.
Mar 18 2007
parent reply "David B. Held" <dheld codelogicconsulting.com> writes:
torhu wrote:
 David B. Held wrote:
 DTL looks like it was vaporware for 2+ years, and is now just barely 
 taking shape.  DWT went the way of the Dodo, and now we have DForms 
 and TioPort.  What's the deal?  Why was DWT abandoned?

AFAIK, dtl is still a dead project. DWT was abandoned by it's original author, and I don't think anyone else has been given write access to the repository. And right now, everyone is probably waiting to see what will become of tioport.

Ok, but I think something that provides STL-like functionality is still something that's pretty important to D. At the least, I think it's a good demonstration of the metaprogramming capabilities of D. Is anyone interested in creating one from scratch? It looks to me like Tioport is an attempt to port the entire Java standard library to D. Is that correct? That seems like an enormous project, and given the speed of development in Java, one that is never-ending. It seems to me that using SWT is a fundamentally sound approach, but just needs a kick-start. Can we just steal DWT like it is and branch it into a writable location? Dave
Mar 18 2007
parent Clay Smith <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
David B. Held wrote:
 torhu wrote:
 David B. Held wrote:
 DTL looks like it was vaporware for 2+ years, and is now just barely 
 taking shape.  DWT went the way of the Dodo, and now we have DForms 
 and TioPort.  What's the deal?  Why was DWT abandoned?

AFAIK, dtl is still a dead project. DWT was abandoned by it's original author, and I don't think anyone else has been given write access to the repository. And right now, everyone is probably waiting to see what will become of tioport.

Ok, but I think something that provides STL-like functionality is still something that's pretty important to D. At the least, I think it's a good demonstration of the metaprogramming capabilities of D. Is anyone interested in creating one from scratch? It looks to me like Tioport is an attempt to port the entire Java standard library to D. Is that correct?

TioPort is a Java-to-D converter. ~ Clay
Mar 18 2007