www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a GSoC 2011 mentor for Digital

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of 
Code 2011 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in 
topics related to networking.

Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.

We have 18 student applications and only 6 mentors. Probably we won't be 
able to accept all student applications, but we could definitely use 
more mentors. Please apply:

http://d-programming-language.org/gsoc2011.html


Andrei
Apr 07 2011
next sibling parent reply dsimcha <dsimcha yahoo.com> writes:
On 4/7/2011 8:33 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of
 Code 2011 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in
 topics related to networking.

 Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.

 We have 18 student applications and only 6 mentors. Probably we won't be
 able to accept all student applications, but we could definitely use
 more mentors. Please apply:

 http://d-programming-language.org/gsoc2011.html


 Andrei

I've finally decided at the last minute to apply as a mentor. I'm primarily but not exclusively interested in garbage collection. I'd also like working on parallelism and concurrency stuff if any students seemed interested in it.
Apr 07 2011
next sibling parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/7/11 7:47 PM, dsimcha wrote:
 On 4/7/2011 8:33 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of
 Code 2011 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in
 topics related to networking.

 Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.

 We have 18 student applications and only 6 mentors. Probably we won't be
 able to accept all student applications, but we could definitely use
 more mentors. Please apply:

 http://d-programming-language.org/gsoc2011.html


 Andrei

I've finally decided at the last minute to apply as a mentor. I'm primarily but not exclusively interested in garbage collection. I'd also like working on parallelism and concurrency stuff if any students seemed interested in it.

Thanks David for rising to the challenge! You have been accepted. Congratulations! Andrei
Apr 07 2011
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 4/7/2011 5:54 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Thanks David for rising to the challenge! You have been accepted.
Congratulations!

Congrats from me, too!
Apr 07 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Luca Boasso <luke.boasso gmail.com> writes:
Congratulations!

On 4/8/11, Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> wrote:
 On 4/7/2011 5:54 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Thanks David for rising to the challenge! You have been accepted.
 Congratulations!

Congrats from me, too!

Apr 08 2011
prev sibling parent Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeiros+spam com.gmail> writes:
On 08/04/2011 01:47, dsimcha wrote:
 On 4/7/2011 8:33 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of
 Code 2011 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in
 topics related to networking.

 Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.

 We have 18 student applications and only 6 mentors. Probably we won't be
 able to accept all student applications, but we could definitely use
 more mentors. Please apply:

 http://d-programming-language.org/gsoc2011.html


 Andrei

I've finally decided at the last minute to apply as a mentor. I'm primarily but not exclusively interested in garbage collection. I'd also like working on parallelism and concurrency stuff if any students seemed interested in it.

Good to hear that, welcome David and Jonas! -- Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
Apr 08 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Torarin <torarind gmail.com> writes:
Congratulations, Jonas!

Torarin
Apr 07 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 4/7/2011 5:33 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of Code 2011
 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in topics related to
 networking.

 Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.

Congrats, Jonas!
Apr 07 2011
prev sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-04-08 02:33, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of
 Code 2011 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in
 topics related to networking.

 Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.

 We have 18 student applications and only 6 mentors. Probably we won't be
 able to accept all student applications, but we could definitely use
 more mentors. Please apply:

 http://d-programming-language.org/gsoc2011.html


 Andrei

Do we need a 1:1 mapping between students and mentors? I though several students were interested in the same topics and perhaps could share a mentor. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Apr 08 2011
next sibling parent dsimcha <dsimcha yahoo.com> writes:
On 4/8/2011 4:37 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-04-08 02:33, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of
 Code 2011 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in
 topics related to networking.

 Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.

 We have 18 student applications and only 6 mentors. Probably we won't be
 able to accept all student applications, but we could definitely use
 more mentors. Please apply:

 http://d-programming-language.org/gsoc2011.html


 Andrei

Do we need a 1:1 mapping between students and mentors? I though several students were interested in the same topics and perhaps could share a mentor.

Possibly better question: Would we even accept multiple students for the same project?
Apr 08 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Fawzi Mohamed <fawzi gmx.ch> writes:
On 8-apr-11, at 15:01, dsimcha wrote:

 On 4/8/2011 4:37 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-04-08 02:33, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of
 Code 2011 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in
 topics related to networking.

 Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.

 We have 18 student applications and only 6 mentors. Probably we  
 won't be
 able to accept all student applications, but we could definitely use
 more mentors. Please apply:

 http://d-programming-language.org/gsoc2011.html


 Andrei

Do we need a 1:1 mapping between students and mentors? I though several students were interested in the same topics and perhaps could share a mentor.

Possibly better question: Would we even accept multiple students for the same project?

That is a good question, and I guess, excluding cases where effort has been done to reduce the overlap (containers), the answer will probably be no. Personally I will not have time to follow more than one student (I might help out or something, but I can commit to only one student. Fawzi
Apr 08 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/8/11 3:37 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-04-08 02:33, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of
 Code 2011 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in
 topics related to networking.

 Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.

 We have 18 student applications and only 6 mentors. Probably we won't be
 able to accept all student applications, but we could definitely use
 more mentors. Please apply:

 http://d-programming-language.org/gsoc2011.html


 Andrei

Do we need a 1:1 mapping between students and mentors? I though several students were interested in the same topics and perhaps could share a mentor.

I just asked for clarification. Andrei
Apr 08 2011
prev sibling parent reply Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeiros+spam com.gmail> writes:
On 08/04/2011 09:37, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-04-08 02:33, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of
 Code 2011 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in
 topics related to networking.

 Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.

 We have 18 student applications and only 6 mentors. Probably we won't be
 able to accept all student applications, but we could definitely use
 more mentors. Please apply:

 http://d-programming-language.org/gsoc2011.html


 Andrei

Do we need a 1:1 mapping between students and mentors? I though several students were interested in the same topics and perhaps could share a mentor.

Technically it is allowed, but the GSoC info says that it is not recommended, because of the time expenditure involved. They say that even for one student mentors often underestimate the amount of time necessary to provide good support. So I guess it would be up to the mentor, if he really feels up to it. -- Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
Apr 08 2011
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 4/8/11 10:33 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
 On 08/04/2011 09:37, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2011-04-08 02:33, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of
 Code 2011 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in
 topics related to networking.

 Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.

 We have 18 student applications and only 6 mentors. Probably we won't be
 able to accept all student applications, but we could definitely use
 more mentors. Please apply:

 http://d-programming-language.org/gsoc2011.html


 Andrei

Do we need a 1:1 mapping between students and mentors? I though several students were interested in the same topics and perhaps could share a mentor.

Technically it is allowed, but the GSoC info says that it is not recommended, because of the time expenditure involved. They say that even for one student mentors often underestimate the amount of time necessary to provide good support. So I guess it would be up to the mentor, if he really feels up to it.

Yah. That means that the number of approved projects is limited by min(students, mentors). We have 7 mentors for over student 20 applications. Experienced members of the community - please consider applying for mentorship. This is the time to act, and the best answer to the FAQ "What can I do for D?" On the other hand, please don't take this lightly as mentoring is a solid commitment that takes real work. Thanks, Andrei
Apr 08 2011