www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - How to simplyfy "getting started" ? Installation desciption at dlang

reply Martin Tschierschke <mt smartdolphin.de> writes:
As an new D user but old Linux/Ubuntu user, I am used to install 
nearly everything which is possible via sudo apt-get install, so 
I searched for "Installing D with Ubuntu", because
I didn't wanted to use the package link offered on the website 
dlang.org.

I came to: http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

where the additional hints to dub and  gtkd are very usefull.
(Not mentioning what can be done via dub)

And here: http://ljdelight.com/installing-dlang-dmd-dub-on-ubuntu/

the layout is better and libevent-dev libssl-dev for vibe.d
are mentioned, too.

So making an update at dlang.org, with a optimized page where all 
of the most important elements are described and in which order 
it is best to install would still be useful.

I think probably the best would be if "sudo apt-get install 
dmd/dub", out of the box would deliver, without the need to use 
an external repository which, is not included as default in 
Debian/Ubuntu.

Does anybody know how to form a "petition" for getting the always 
latest stable releases of D included in Debian (=>Ubuntu)?

Regards Martin T.
Jan 26
next sibling parent reply "H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 03:07:25PM +0000, Martin Tschierschke via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[...]
 I think probably the best would be if "sudo apt-get install dmd/dub",
 out of the box would deliver, without the need to use an external
 repository which, is not included as default in Debian/Ubuntu.
 
 Does anybody know how to form a "petition" for getting the always
 latest stable releases of D included in Debian (=>Ubuntu)?
[...] Unfortunately dmd will never be part of Debian's main repository, because the backend has an incompatible license. However, gdc, a gcc-based D compiler that uses the same frontend as dmd, is already in Debian, and probably has propagated to Ubuntu by now (apt-get install gdc). I regularly use gdc when I need the best performance (the gcc backend has superior optimizing capabilities compared to dmd). The only disadvantage is that it's a release or two behind dmd, due to the mismatch between the gcc release schedule and the dmd release schedule, so it will be a slightly older version of D. For the most part, that shouldn't be a problem, unless you absolutely need to use the latest and greatest features. As for including dub in Debian, somebody just has to do the packaging, and we could file an ITA and upload the package to Debian. T -- It said to install Windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux instead.
Jan 26
parent Martin Tschierschke <mt smartdolphin.de> writes:
On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 16:34:29 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
 Unfortunately dmd will never be part of Debian's main 
 repository, because the backend has an incompatible license.

 However, gdc, a gcc-based D compiler that uses the same 
 frontend as dmd, is already in Debian, and probably has
[...]
 As for including dub in Debian, somebody just has to do the 
 packaging, and we could file an ITA and upload the package to 
 Debian.
Would be cool. When I started playing around I even installed gdc, but exactly these info from you should be on a download page, I think.
Jan 26
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On 26 January 2016 at 17:34, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d puremagic.com> wrote:

 On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 03:07:25PM +0000, Martin Tschierschke via
 Digitalmars-d wrote:
 [...]
 I think probably the best would be if "sudo apt-get install dmd/dub",
 out of the box would deliver, without the need to use an external
 repository which, is not included as default in Debian/Ubuntu.

 Does anybody know how to form a "petition" for getting the always
 latest stable releases of D included in Debian (=>Ubuntu)?
[...] Unfortunately dmd will never be part of Debian's main repository, because the backend has an incompatible license. However, gdc, a gcc-based D compiler that uses the same frontend as dmd, is already in Debian, and probably has propagated to Ubuntu by now (apt-get install gdc). I regularly use gdc when I need the best performance (the gcc backend has superior optimizing capabilities compared to dmd). The only disadvantage is that it's a release or two behind dmd, due to the mismatch between the gcc release schedule and the dmd release schedule, so it will be a slightly older version of D. For the most part, that shouldn't be a problem, unless you absolutely need to use the latest and greatest features. As for including dub in Debian, somebody just has to do the packaging, and we could file an ITA and upload the package to Debian.
Both myself and the GCC maintainers are keen on this. We have a D compiler, but only a handful of (obsolete) software that uses it. I have source packages for dub, dustmite, digger and dscanner. I probably need a couple of things to do with them first. 1. Confirm licensing with authors (Debian policy requires that all sources and documentation distributed are covered by a license IIRC). 2. Peer review 3. Submit to Debian/Ubuntu.
Jan 26
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On 26 January 2016 at 20:23, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw gdcproject.org> wrote:

 On 26 January 2016 at 17:34, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d <
 digitalmars-d puremagic.com> wrote:

 On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 03:07:25PM +0000, Martin Tschierschke via
 Digitalmars-d wrote:
 [...]
 I think probably the best would be if "sudo apt-get install dmd/dub",
 out of the box would deliver, without the need to use an external
 repository which, is not included as default in Debian/Ubuntu.

 Does anybody know how to form a "petition" for getting the always
 latest stable releases of D included in Debian (=>Ubuntu)?
[...] Unfortunately dmd will never be part of Debian's main repository, because the backend has an incompatible license. However, gdc, a gcc-based D compiler that uses the same frontend as dmd, is already in Debian, and probably has propagated to Ubuntu by now (apt-get install gdc). I regularly use gdc when I need the best performance (the gcc backend has superior optimizing capabilities compared to dmd). The only disadvantage is that it's a release or two behind dmd, due to the mismatch between the gcc release schedule and the dmd release schedule, so it will be a slightly older version of D. For the most part, that shouldn't be a problem, unless you absolutely need to use the latest and greatest features. As for including dub in Debian, somebody just has to do the packaging, and we could file an ITA and upload the package to Debian.
Both myself and the GCC maintainers are keen on this. We have a D compiler, but only a handful of (obsolete) software that uses it. I have source packages for dub, dustmite, digger and dscanner. I probably need a couple of things to do with them first. 1. Confirm licensing with authors (Debian policy requires that all sources and documentation distributed are covered by a license IIRC). 2. Peer review 3. Submit to Debian/Ubuntu.
1b. Make sure it builds and runs without issues. 4. ??? 5. Profit.
Jan 26
prev sibling parent reply "H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 08:23:13PM +0100, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
 Both myself and the GCC maintainers are keen on this.  We have a D
 compiler, but only a handful of (obsolete) software that uses it.
 
 I have source packages for dub, dustmite, digger and dscanner.  I
 probably need a couple of things to do with them first.
 
 1. Confirm licensing with authors (Debian policy requires that all sources
 and documentation distributed are covered by a license IIRC).
Debian policy requires a DFSG-compliant license. As long as we have that, it can go into the main repo.
 2. Peer review
I can help test it, since I'm using Debian.
 3. Submit to Debian/Ubuntu.
I can also help with uploading, if necessary. But probably that's the least of your worries right now. :-P T -- Life is complex. It consists of real and imaginary parts. -- YHL
Jan 27
parent Zardoz <luis.panadero gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 at 18:27:31 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

 2. Peer review
I can help test it, since I'm using Debian.
 3. Submit to Debian/Ubuntu.
I can also help with uploading, if necessary. But probably that's the least of your worries right now. :-P T
If a kUbuntu user can help... I would love having a dub package without adding a third party repository.
Jan 27