www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - High ranking of D on Google software technologies trends

reply "Paul Jurczak" <pauljurczak yahoo.com> writes:
D is ranked 12th on Google software technologies trends:

http://www.google.com/trends/topcharts#vm=chart&cid=programming_languages&geo=US&date=201307&a

See also redit entry:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1l1uyk/googles_ranking_of_software_technologies_in_the/
Aug 25 2013
next sibling parent "Paul Jurczak" <pauljurczak yahoo.com> writes:
On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 23:23:10 UTC, Paul Jurczak wrote:
 See also redit entry:

redit -> reddit Eddit, er.. edit option would be nice to have in these forums.
Aug 25 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Paul Jurczak" <pauljurczak yahoo.com> writes:
On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 23:23:10 UTC, Paul Jurczak wrote:
 D is ranked 12th on Google software technologies trends:

On closer examination it looks like Vitamin D is the source of the high rank. How about naming the next language release D+ ?
Aug 25 2013
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 8/25/13 4:34 PM, Paul Jurczak wrote:
 On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 23:23:10 UTC, Paul Jurczak wrote:
 D is ranked 12th on Google software technologies trends:

On closer examination it looks like Vitamin D is the source of the high rank. How about naming the next language release D+ ?

The ranking is more sophisticated than that. Evidence: hover over the "?" next to "Explore". Andrei
Aug 25 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
On 26/08/13 01:23, Paul Jurczak wrote:
 D is ranked 12th on Google software technologies trends:

 http://www.google.com/trends/topcharts#vm=chart&cid=programming_languages&geo=US&date=201307&a

 See also redit entry:

 http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1l1uyk/googles_ranking_of_software_technologies_in_the/

It's too few data points to be really sure, but looks like there's a Zipf's law (i.e. inverse power law relationship) in the rank-frequency relationship.
Aug 25 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
On 26/08/13 01:34, Paul Jurczak wrote:
 On closer examination it looks like Vitamin D is the source of the high rank.

Actually: Dungeons and Dragons. :-)
Aug 25 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent "w0rp" <devw0rp gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 23:37:55 UTC, Joseph Rushton 
Wakeling wrote:
 On 26/08/13 01:34, Paul Jurczak wrote:
 On closer examination it looks like Vitamin D is the source of 
 the high rank.

Actually: Dungeons and Dragons. :-)

Let's make a D&D game in D so we can call it D&D&D.
Aug 25 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent "Joseph Rushton Wakeling" <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 23:45:36 UTC, w0rp wrote:
 Let's make a D&D game in D so we can call it D&D&D.

Good call. Dark Sun as a campaign setting ... ? (D&D&D&DS)
Aug 25 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent "Joseph Rushton Wakeling" <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 23:51:36 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
 The ranking is more sophisticated than that. Evidence: hover 
 over the "?" next to "Explore".

I was just thinking that it must be so, because if the ranking was just a naive aggregate, or had any major contribution from searches with alternative meanings, the single-letter-named languages would blow all the others away.
Aug 25 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent "Joseph Rushton Wakeling" <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
On Monday, 26 August 2013 at 00:00:30 UTC, Joseph Rushton 
Wakeling wrote:
 I was just thinking that it must be so, because if the ranking 
 was just a naive aggregate, or had any major contribution from 
 searches with alternative meanings, the single-letter-named 
 languages would blow all the others away.

Further evidence of that -- if you click through "Explore" for C, D or R, the interest over time is pretty much constant, suggesting that aggregate search volume has no semantic meaning in itself -- single letters are probably completely randomly distributed as search terms, across virtually all topics, meaning their overall volume must be huge. Then look at the interest graphs for Java, HTML or SQL. Broad peaks, narrow troughs, almost certainly working weeks and weekends. Those searches are surely dominated by programming-related queries by working developers. Peak interest in LaTeX presumably occurs at the same time as some interesting parties in San Francisco :-)
Aug 25 2013
prev sibling parent "Paul Jurczak" <pauljurczak yahoo.com> writes:
On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 23:51:36 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
 On 8/25/13 4:34 PM, Paul Jurczak wrote:
 On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 23:23:10 UTC, Paul Jurczak wrote:
 D is ranked 12th on Google software technologies trends:

On closer examination it looks like Vitamin D is the source of the high rank. How about naming the next language release D+ ?

The ranking is more sophisticated than that. Evidence: hover over the "?" next to "Explore". Andrei

It probably is, but I can't find any details about it. Realistically speaking, D beating Matlab, HTML5 and Ruby is a little too good to be true. Having wrote that, I'm glad that D is getting more publicity. Maybe is was a plan all along to choose search engine confusing language name ;-)
Aug 25 2013