www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Google opensources linear time, fixed space regex library

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/03/re2-principled-approach-to-regular.html
http://code.google.com/p/re2/

If the license allows, it would be great to translate that to D and make 
it work with arbitrary ranges of arbitrary data...


Andrei
Mar 12 2010
next sibling parent Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer utulsa.edu> writes:
On 03/12/2010 02:27 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/03/re2-principled-approach-to-regular.html

 http://code.google.com/p/re2/

 If the license allows, it would be great to translate that to D and make
 it work with arbitrary ranges of arbitrary data...


 Andrei

Very nice. license: New BSD
Mar 12 2010
prev sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound1 digitalmars.com> writes:
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 If the license allows, it would be great to translate that to D and make 
 it work with arbitrary ranges of arbitrary data...

"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution." http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php This would require anyone distributing a product based on Phobos to include that license in their documentation.
Mar 12 2010
next sibling parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 03/12/2010 03:02 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 If the license allows, it would be great to translate that to D and
 make it work with arbitrary ranges of arbitrary data...

"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution." http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php This would require anyone distributing a product based on Phobos to include that license in their documentation.

But we'd reimplement the library in D, not redistribute it in binary form. Andrei
Mar 12 2010
parent Walter Bright <newshound1 digitalmars.com> writes:
Moritz Warning wrote:
 On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:03:10 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 
 On 03/12/2010 03:02 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 If the license allows, it would be great to translate that to D and
 make it work with arbitrary ranges of arbitrary data...

notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution." http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php This would require anyone distributing a product based on Phobos to include that license in their documentation.

form. Andrei

Doesn't the license apply even to derived works?

Yes. Translating it doesn't void it.
Mar 12 2010
prev sibling next sibling parent Moritz Warning <moritzwarning web.de> writes:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:03:10 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

 On 03/12/2010 03:02 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 If the license allows, it would be great to translate that to D and
 make it work with arbitrary ranges of arbitrary data...

"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution." http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php This would require anyone distributing a product based on Phobos to include that license in their documentation.

But we'd reimplement the library in D, not redistribute it in binary form. Andrei

Doesn't the license apply even to derived works?
Mar 12 2010
prev sibling parent Walter Bright <newshound1 digitalmars.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 "Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright 
 notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the 
 documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution."
 
 http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
 
 This would require anyone distributing a product based on Phobos to 
 include that license in their documentation.

This is why we switched to the Boost license for Phobos. No such issues for users.
Mar 12 2010