www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Google Summer of Code - Again

reply "Craig Dillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
It seems like its been too long since I posted asking for GSOC 
help.

The start of submissions for the 2015 Google Summer of Code is 
fast approaching,
so once again I would like to approach the community for some 
assistance. My immediate needs are:

1) I need a volunteer for 'backup' administrator.  This is a 
requirement, so I really
need someone to volunteer for this position, which with a little 
luck will require
exactly 0 work, and will bring you great honour and prestige.


2) DigitalMars is listed as the mentoring orgnaization.  Should 
we register rather
as dlang.org?

3) QML.  The QML project is very thin, and unless it can be 
improved it will
need to be dropped.  Recently there was a QML project posted on 
the Announce list:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hapeegrotkazppwdnstk forum.dlang.org

This might be a good starting point for a student project, if the 
developer of
this project is interested in mentoring, but I haven't been able 
to get a hold of
him/her. Does anyone know how to get in touch with 'filcuc'.

4) Extra polishing is welcome on any of the ideas sections.  In 
particular I
wanted to have a "It is Good To Know" section indicating what 
students should
know (or be expected to learn).  Some of these are fairly well 
filled out,
others are non-existant or sparse.  The ideas page is at:

http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas


5) If you are a mentor, I've tried to make a bio's page for 
mentors. It can
be seen here:

http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_mentors

If you are a mentor please consider filling your bio out.  I've 
dug up stuff
off the web/old D Conf bio's, etc on a few of you, but it would 
be nice if folks
could edit their own.

6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.  If 
you are working
on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a 
student could help you (and you could help
them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially if we 
end up
dropping QML.

7) If we are approved we will need to form a committee to 
evaluate the student
proposals that will undoubtedly flood in ...  any volunteers for 
that duty!  It should likely include the mentors, but they might 
be biased, so some folks outside the mentors group would be nice.
Jan 29 2015
next sibling parent reply Rikki Cattermole <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
On 30/01/2015 5:32 p.m., Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
 It seems like its been too long since I posted asking for GSOC help.

 The start of submissions for the 2015 Google Summer of Code is fast
 approaching,
 so once again I would like to approach the community for some
 assistance. My immediate needs are:

 1) I need a volunteer for 'backup' administrator.  This is a
 requirement, so I really
 need someone to volunteer for this position, which with a little luck
 will require
 exactly 0 work, and will bring you great honour and prestige.


 2) DigitalMars is listed as the mentoring orgnaization.  Should we
 register rather
 as dlang.org?
Walter? are you ok with it being DigitalMars?
 3) QML.  The QML project is very thin, and unless it can be improved it
 will
 need to be dropped.  Recently there was a QML project posted on the
 Announce list:

 http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hapeegrotkazppwdnstk forum.dlang.org

 This might be a good starting point for a student project, if the
 developer of
 this project is interested in mentoring, but I haven't been able to get
 a hold of
 him/her. Does anyone know how to get in touch with 'filcuc'.

 4) Extra polishing is welcome on any of the ideas sections.  In
 particular I
 wanted to have a "It is Good To Know" section indicating what students
 should
 know (or be expected to learn).  Some of these are fairly well filled out,
 others are non-existant or sparse.  The ideas page is at:

 http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas


 5) If you are a mentor, I've tried to make a bio's page for mentors. It can
 be seen here:

 http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_mentors

 If you are a mentor please consider filling your bio out.  I've dug up
 stuff
 off the web/old D Conf bio's, etc on a few of you, but it would be nice
 if folks
 could edit their own.

 6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.  If you are
 working
 on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a student
 could help you (and you could help
 them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially if we end up
 dropping QML.
Based upon what I was saying for getting window creation library in phobos. We need a good image library. This is another blocker. Requires color definition so it might be included depending on how Manu goes. Also could be useful is cross platform sound output. Printing?
 7) If we are approved we will need to form a committee to evaluate the
 student
 proposals that will undoubtedly flood in ...  any volunteers for that
 duty!  It should likely include the mentors, but they might be biased,
 so some folks outside the mentors group would be nice.
Count me in.
Jan 29 2015
parent reply "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 04:37:14 UTC, Rikki Cattermole 
wrote:
 On 30/01/2015 5:32 p.m., Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
clip
 6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.  If 
 you are
 working
 on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a 
 student
 could help you (and you could help
 them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially if 
 we end up
 dropping QML.
Based upon what I was saying for getting window creation library in phobos. We need a good image library. This is another blocker. Requires color definition so it might be included depending on how Manu goes. Also could be useful is cross platform sound output. Printing?
Hey, you are already doing web development! Do you not sleep or something? I think for GSOC we need to have projects that are at least up and running, and provide them with something to work off of. This effort (Window Creation/Image Library) stills seems very much in the 'conception' phase, and my personal feeling is that until the exact goals are fleshed out a bit more it would be a shaky platform for a GSOC project. There is the following project however: http://forum.dlang.org/thread/szqsscsvcbpjjeelkpve forum.dlang.org How is that related to what you are proposing? Maybe Vadim could be enticed to sign up as a mentor?

 7) If we are approved we will need to form a committee to 
 evaluate the
 student
 proposals that will undoubtedly flood in ...  any volunteers 
 for that
 duty!  It should likely include the mentors, but they might be 
 biased,
 so some folks outside the mentors group would be nice.
Count me in.
Great. If our application is accepted you will be the first on my 'Evaluation Committee' list.
Jan 30 2015
next sibling parent reply "Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 14:24:46 UTC, CraigDillabaugh wrote:
 On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 04:37:14 UTC, Rikki Cattermole 
 wrote:
 Based upon what I was saying for getting window creation 
 library in phobos.
 We need a good image library. This is another blocker. 
 Requires color definition so it might be included depending on 
 how Manu goes.
 Also could be useful is cross platform sound output.
 Printing?
Hey, you are already doing web development! Do you not sleep or something?
lol, he might be just about as crazy as me... I've already written all that. In here: http://github.com/adamdruppe/arsd there's the web stuff, simpledisplay.d is a window lib, color.d (especially plus png.d and bmp.d) is a basic image thing, and simpleaudio.d does cross platform sound. I'm not sure any of my stuff would pass the phobos bar, but it all works well for a lot of things I've done. minigui.d builds off simpledisplay.d to do some gui widgets (still needs a lot of work though), and I'm working on doing some games with it too (simpledisplay.d can make a opengl context easily).
Jan 30 2015
parent Rikki Cattermole <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
On 31/01/2015 3:30 a.m., Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
 On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 14:24:46 UTC, CraigDillabaugh wrote:
 On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 04:37:14 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 Based upon what I was saying for getting window creation library in
 phobos.
 We need a good image library. This is another blocker. Requires color
 definition so it might be included depending on how Manu goes.
 Also could be useful is cross platform sound output.
 Printing?
Hey, you are already doing web development! Do you not sleep or something?
lol, he might be just about as crazy as me... I've already written all that. In here: http://github.com/adamdruppe/arsd there's the web stuff, simpledisplay.d is a window lib, color.d (especially plus png.d and bmp.d) is a basic image thing, and simpleaudio.d does cross platform sound. I'm not sure any of my stuff would pass the phobos bar, but it all works well for a lot of things I've done. minigui.d builds off simpledisplay.d to do some gui widgets (still needs a lot of work though), and I'm working on doing some games with it too (simpledisplay.d can make a opengl context easily).
I don't think my image library would pass it either. But windowing yes definitely. Hence why I'm saying we will most likely need a new image library for phobos. Although in saying this, it might be worth my time at some point to invest in major refactoring and improvements to your sound module. Push it out as Devisualization.sound or something. Then again that would mean file formats like mp3 loading/saving would be needed. Suddenly just the graphical stuff seems hard enough.
Jan 30 2015
prev sibling parent reply Rikki Cattermole <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
On 31/01/2015 3:24 a.m., CraigDillabaugh wrote:
 On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 04:37:14 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 On 30/01/2015 5:32 p.m., Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
clip
 6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.  If you are
 working
 on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a student
 could help you (and you could help
 them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially if we end up
 dropping QML.
Based upon what I was saying for getting window creation library in phobos. We need a good image library. This is another blocker. Requires color definition so it might be included depending on how Manu goes. Also could be useful is cross platform sound output. Printing?
Hey, you are already doing web development! Do you not sleep or something?
I do sleep, a lot actually ;)
 I think for GSOC we need to have projects that are at least up and
 running, and provide them with something to work off of. This effort
 (Window Creation/Image Library) stills seems very much in the
 'conception' phase, and my personal feeling is that until the exact
 goals are fleshed out a bit more it would be a shaky platform for a GSOC
 project.
Window creation isn't conception. Its a very nice reality :) I was just throwing it out there however about an image library. In case somebody wanted to mentor for it.
 There is the following project however:

 http://forum.dlang.org/thread/szqsscsvcbpjjeelkpve forum.dlang.org

 How is that related to what you are proposing?  Maybe Vadim could be
 enticed to sign up as a mentor?
We're not ready to start working on GUI's. We need to get the base libraries like image done first. They are far more important!
Jan 30 2015
parent reply "Craig Dillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 22:30:18 UTC, Rikki Cattermole 
wrote:
 On 31/01/2015 3:24 a.m., CraigDillabaugh wrote:
 Window creation isn't conception. Its a very nice reality :)
 I was just throwing it out there however about an image 
 library. In case somebody wanted to mentor for it.
I guess I based my comments on a quick viewing of the Window creation thread. It seems that what such a library would provide, where it should go, and should we even have one, has elicited many different views ... hard to believe that such a thing could happen on the D forums :o) Anyway, my concern is, is there broad support for such an effort (obviously a few or sold on it) and if a student worked on this, would it be accepted by the community? Craig
Jan 31 2015
parent Rikki Cattermole <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
On 1/02/2015 5:59 p.m., Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
 On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 22:30:18 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 On 31/01/2015 3:24 a.m., CraigDillabaugh wrote:
 Window creation isn't conception. Its a very nice reality :)
 I was just throwing it out there however about an image library. In
 case somebody wanted to mentor for it.
I guess I based my comments on a quick viewing of the Window creation thread. It seems that what such a library would provide, where it should go, and should we even have one, has elicited many different views ... hard to believe that such a thing could happen on the D forums :o)
Even more amazing is the scope of such a library being so slim its hard to get the abstraction wrong!
 Anyway, my concern is, is there broad support for such
 an effort (obviously a few or sold on it) and if a student
 worked on this, would it be accepted by the community?
Maybe, but without a mentor there is no chance of it.
Jan 31 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Martin Nowak <code+news.digitalmars dawg.eu> writes:
On 01/30/2015 05:32 AM, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
 It seems like its been too long since I posted asking for GSOC help.
I was just about to ask how things are going :). Thanks a lot, the page looks much better than in recent years. http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas
 1) I need a volunteer for 'backup' administrator.  This is a
 requirement, so I really
 need someone to volunteer for this position, which with a little luck
 will require
 exactly 0 work, and will bring you great honour and prestige.
What administration tasks? I might be able to do this.
 2) DigitalMars is listed as the mentoring orgnaization.  Should we
 register rather
 as dlang.org?
There has been some discussion about a D foundation a few month ago. As far as I remember people where shying away from the legal complications, so that won't change any time soon.
Jan 30 2015
next sibling parent reply "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 13:47:10 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On 01/30/2015 05:32 AM, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
 It seems like its been too long since I posted asking for GSOC 
 help.
I was just about to ask how things are going :). Thanks a lot, the page looks much better than in recent years. http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas
Thanks
 1) I need a volunteer for 'backup' administrator.  This is a
 requirement, so I really
 need someone to volunteer for this position, which with a 
 little luck
 will require
 exactly 0 work, and will bring you great honour and prestige.
What administration tasks? I might be able to do this.
I am still getting up to speed on this. I've been mostly focused on the proposal/ideas page up to this point. Again, the backup is just in case I can't fulfil my duties for whatever reason. Of course if someone wants to take on this role and be more involved I would be very glad to work together. The following site gives a run down on the duties of the administrator. http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/managing-the-mentors/
 2) DigitalMars is listed as the mentoring orgnaization.  
 Should we
 register rather
 as dlang.org?
There has been some discussion about a D foundation a few month ago. As far as I remember people where shying away from the legal complications, so that won't change any time soon.
Makes sense.
Jan 30 2015
parent reply "Martin Nowak" <code dawg.eu> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 14:11:27 UTC, CraigDillabaugh wrote:
 http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/managing-the-mentors/
Sounds good, count me in.
Jan 31 2015
next sibling parent "Craig Dillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 31 January 2015 at 08:57:15 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 14:11:27 UTC, CraigDillabaugh 
 wrote:
 http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/managing-the-mentors/
Sounds good, count me in.
Thank you very much.
Jan 31 2015
prev sibling parent "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 31 January 2015 at 08:57:15 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 14:11:27 UTC, CraigDillabaugh 
 wrote:
 http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/managing-the-mentors/
Sounds good, count me in.
Martin, I will need you to create a profile on the GSoC Melange site: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015 When you do can you please email me with your profile info: craig dot dillabaugh at gmail dot com Actually, it would be appreciated if all the mentors could get in touch with me by email, so I don't have to keep posting messages to this forum and hoping folks read them ... Craig
Feb 11 2015
prev sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 1/30/15 5:46 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:
 There has been some discussion about a D foundation a few month ago.
 As far as I remember people where shying away from the legal
 complications, so that won't change any time soon.
That won't happen at least until later in the year. -- Andrei
Jan 30 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 04:32:14 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh 
wrote:
 It seems like its been too long since I posted asking for GSOC 
 help.

 The start of submissions for the 2015 Google Summer of Code is 
 fast approaching,
 so once again I would like to approach the community for some 
 assistance. My immediate needs are:

 1) I need a volunteer for 'backup' administrator.  This is a 
 requirement, so I really
 need someone to volunteer for this position, which with a 
 little luck will require
 exactly 0 work, and will bring you great honour and prestige.


 2) DigitalMars is listed as the mentoring orgnaization.  Should 
 we register rather
 as dlang.org?

 3) QML.  The QML project is very thin, and unless it can be 
 improved it will
 need to be dropped.  Recently there was a QML project posted on 
 the Announce list:

 http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hapeegrotkazppwdnstk forum.dlang.org

 This might be a good starting point for a student project, if 
 the developer of
 this project is interested in mentoring, but I haven't been 
 able to get a hold of
 him/her. Does anyone know how to get in touch with 'filcuc'.

 4) Extra polishing is welcome on any of the ideas sections.  In 
 particular I
 wanted to have a "It is Good To Know" section indicating what 
 students should
 know (or be expected to learn).  Some of these are fairly well 
 filled out,
 others are non-existant or sparse.  The ideas page is at:

 http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas


 5) If you are a mentor, I've tried to make a bio's page for 
 mentors. It can
 be seen here:

 http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_mentors

 If you are a mentor please consider filling your bio out.  I've 
 dug up stuff
 off the web/old D Conf bio's, etc on a few of you, but it would 
 be nice if folks
 could edit their own.

 6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.  If 
 you are working
 on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a 
 student could help you (and you could help
 them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially if 
 we end up
 dropping QML.

 7) If we are approved we will need to form a committee to 
 evaluate the student
 proposals that will undoubtedly flood in ...  any volunteers 
 for that duty!  It should likely include the mentors, but they 
 might be biased, so some folks outside the mentors group would 
 be nice.
Just bumping my own thread here. GSOC program proposals can be submitted in less than a week (Feb 9th), and I would like to submit our proposal near the beginning of the time period. Thanks to everyone thus far who has volunteered to help. We could still use an extra topic or two, and pointers Bio's for some mentors are still incomplete. Jacob Ovrum and Russel Winder have no bio, and for others I have scrapped together some stuff from off the internet that may be way out of date! I would encourage anyone who volunteered to mentor to at least read over what I wrote for accuracy - and ask Jacob and Russel to fill something in - or I can always make something up for you :o) Finally, I wanted to ask what the Phobos mentors think of adding std.xml to the list of Phobos libraries that could use an update?
Feb 05 2015
parent reply Rikki Cattermole <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
On 6/02/2015 9:30 a.m., CraigDillabaugh wrote:
 On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 04:32:14 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
 It seems like its been too long since I posted asking for GSOC help.

 The start of submissions for the 2015 Google Summer of Code is fast
 approaching,
 so once again I would like to approach the community for some
 assistance. My immediate needs are:

 1) I need a volunteer for 'backup' administrator.  This is a
 requirement, so I really
 need someone to volunteer for this position, which with a little luck
 will require
 exactly 0 work, and will bring you great honour and prestige.


 2) DigitalMars is listed as the mentoring orgnaization.  Should we
 register rather
 as dlang.org?

 3) QML.  The QML project is very thin, and unless it can be improved
 it will
 need to be dropped.  Recently there was a QML project posted on the
 Announce list:

 http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hapeegrotkazppwdnstk forum.dlang.org

 This might be a good starting point for a student project, if the
 developer of
 this project is interested in mentoring, but I haven't been able to
 get a hold of
 him/her. Does anyone know how to get in touch with 'filcuc'.

 4) Extra polishing is welcome on any of the ideas sections.  In
 particular I
 wanted to have a "It is Good To Know" section indicating what students
 should
 know (or be expected to learn).  Some of these are fairly well filled
 out,
 others are non-existant or sparse.  The ideas page is at:

 http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas


 5) If you are a mentor, I've tried to make a bio's page for mentors.
 It can
 be seen here:

 http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_mentors

 If you are a mentor please consider filling your bio out.  I've dug up
 stuff
 off the web/old D Conf bio's, etc on a few of you, but it would be
 nice if folks
 could edit their own.

 6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.  If you are
 working
 on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a student
 could help you (and you could help
 them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially if we end up
 dropping QML.

 7) If we are approved we will need to form a committee to evaluate the
 student
 proposals that will undoubtedly flood in ...  any volunteers for that
 duty!  It should likely include the mentors, but they might be biased,
 so some folks outside the mentors group would be nice.
Just bumping my own thread here. GSOC program proposals can be submitted in less than a week (Feb 9th), and I would like to submit our proposal near the beginning of the time period. Thanks to everyone thus far who has volunteered to help. We could still use an extra topic or two, and pointers Bio's for some mentors are still incomplete. Jacob Ovrum and Russel Winder have no bio, and for others I have scrapped together some stuff from off the internet that may be way out of date! I would encourage anyone who volunteered to mentor to at least read over what I wrote for accuracy - and ask Jacob and Russel to fill something in - or I can always make something up for you :o) Finally, I wanted to ask what the Phobos mentors think of adding std.xml to the list of Phobos libraries that could use an update?
I've taken a look at our review queue. We have an (old) attempt at replacing it[0]. It is abandoned. But it looks like a fairly good starting point if somebody wanted to use it as a base. [0] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~michael-rynn-500/d2-xml/d2-xml-dev/files/head:/std/xmlp/
Feb 05 2015
parent reply "Craig Dillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 6 February 2015 at 00:23:59 UTC, Rikki Cattermole 
wrote:
 On 6/02/2015 9:30 a.m., CraigDillabaugh wrote:
 On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 04:32:14 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh 
 wrote:
 It seems like its been too long since I posted asking for 
 GSOC help.

 The start of submissions for the 2015 Google Summer of Code 
 is fast
 approaching,
 so once again I would like to approach the community for some
 assistance. My immediate needs are:

 1) I need a volunteer for 'backup' administrator.  This is a
 requirement, so I really
 need someone to volunteer for this position, which with a 
 little luck
 will require
 exactly 0 work, and will bring you great honour and prestige.


 2) DigitalMars is listed as the mentoring orgnaization.  
 Should we
 register rather
 as dlang.org?

 3) QML.  The QML project is very thin, and unless it can be 
 improved
 it will
 need to be dropped.  Recently there was a QML project posted 
 on the
 Announce list:

 http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hapeegrotkazppwdnstk forum.dlang.org

 This might be a good starting point for a student project, if 
 the
 developer of
 this project is interested in mentoring, but I haven't been 
 able to
 get a hold of
 him/her. Does anyone know how to get in touch with 'filcuc'.

 4) Extra polishing is welcome on any of the ideas sections.  
 In
 particular I
 wanted to have a "It is Good To Know" section indicating what 
 students
 should
 know (or be expected to learn).  Some of these are fairly 
 well filled
 out,
 others are non-existant or sparse.  The ideas page is at:

 http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas


 5) If you are a mentor, I've tried to make a bio's page for 
 mentors.
 It can
 be seen here:

 http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_mentors

 If you are a mentor please consider filling your bio out.  
 I've dug up
 stuff
 off the web/old D Conf bio's, etc on a few of you, but it 
 would be
 nice if folks
 could edit their own.

 6) We could still use maybe one (or two) more solid ideas.  
 If you are
 working
 on some cool project related to the D ecosystem, and think a 
 student
 could help you (and you could help
 them) we could maybe add your idea to the list.  Especially 
 if we end up
 dropping QML.

 7) If we are approved we will need to form a committee to 
 evaluate the
 student
 proposals that will undoubtedly flood in ...  any volunteers 
 for that
 duty!  It should likely include the mentors, but they might 
 be biased,
 so some folks outside the mentors group would be nice.
Just bumping my own thread here. GSOC program proposals can be submitted in less than a week (Feb 9th), and I would like to submit our proposal near the beginning of the time period. Thanks to everyone thus far who has volunteered to help. We could still use an extra topic or two, and pointers Bio's for some mentors are still incomplete. Jacob Ovrum and Russel Winder have no bio, and for others I have scrapped together some stuff from off the internet that may be way out of date! I would encourage anyone who volunteered to mentor to at least read over what I wrote for accuracy - and ask Jacob and Russel to fill something in - or I can always make something up for you :o) Finally, I wanted to ask what the Phobos mentors think of adding std.xml to the list of Phobos libraries that could use an update?
I've taken a look at our review queue. We have an (old) attempt at replacing it[0]. It is abandoned. But it looks like a fairly good starting point if somebody wanted to use it as a base. [0] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~michael-rynn-500/d2-xml/d2-xml-dev/files/head:/std/xmlp/
I went and added std.xml ... executive decision. Hopefully if that gets a student proposal some mentor will step in. If anyone feels like reveiwing the proposal, it is located at: https://github.com/craig-dillabaugh/dlang-gsoc2015 You can see what they are looking for here: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/help_page#2._What_should_a_mentoring_organization
Feb 05 2015
parent reply "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
A note on QML bindings.  Filippo, the creator of DOtherSide, the 
QML bindings, expressed some interest in participating the 2015 
GSOC. However time may be an issue for him.

Russel Winder, if you are reading, would you be willing to 
co-mentor with Filippo if he feels he needs (and would like) the 
help?

Craig
Feb 06 2015
parent reply Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Fri, 2015-02-06 at 14:15 +0000, CraigDillabaugh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 A note on QML bindings.  Filippo, the creator of DOtherSide, the QML=20
 bindings, expressed some interest in participating the 2015 GSOC.=20
 However time may be an issue for him.
=20
 Russel Winder, if you are reading, would you be willing to
 co-mentor with Filippo if he feels he needs (and would like) the=20
 help?
I'm entirely happy to be backup mentor for this. --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n= et 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder
Feb 06 2015
parent "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 6 February 2015 at 19:34:53 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 On Fri, 2015-02-06 at 14:15 +0000, CraigDillabaugh via 
 Digitalmars-d wrote:
 A note on QML bindings.  Filippo, the creator of DOtherSide, 
 the QML bindings, expressed some interest in participating the 
 2015 GSOC. However time may be an issue for him.
 
 Russel Winder, if you are reading, would you be willing to
 co-mentor with Filippo if he feels he needs (and would like) 
 the help?
I'm entirely happy to be backup mentor for this.
Thanks.
Feb 06 2015
prev sibling parent reply "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
Google Summer of Code organizational proposals start today.  I 
will submit our proposal in the next day or two.  The evaluation 
process starts on Feb 23rd, so I imagine we should still be able 
to make updates to the Ideas/Mentors pages until that time 
without trouble. But anyone who wants to comment on the proposal 
should do so soon:

https://github.com/craig-dillabaugh/dlang-gsoc2015
Feb 09 2015
next sibling parent reply "Wyatt" <wyatt.epp gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 9 February 2015 at 13:47:21 UTC, CraigDillabaugh wrote:
 Google Summer of Code organizational proposals start today.  I 
 will submit our proposal in the next day or two.  The 
 evaluation process starts on Feb 23rd, so I imagine we should 
 still be able to make updates to the Ideas/Mentors pages until 
 that time without trouble. But anyone who wants to comment on 
 the proposal should do so soon:

 https://github.com/craig-dillabaugh/dlang-gsoc2015
Since there hasn't been any movement, I'll ping you here: are you going to merge that pull request? -Wyatt
Feb 09 2015
parent "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 9 February 2015 at 14:17:32 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
 On Monday, 9 February 2015 at 13:47:21 UTC, CraigDillabaugh 
 wrote:
 Google Summer of Code organizational proposals start today.  I 
 will submit our proposal in the next day or two.  The 
 evaluation process starts on Feb 23rd, so I imagine we should 
 still be able to make updates to the Ideas/Mentors pages until 
 that time without trouble. But anyone who wants to comment on 
 the proposal should do so soon:

 https://github.com/craig-dillabaugh/dlang-gsoc2015
Since there hasn't been any movement, I'll ping you here: are you going to merge that pull request? -Wyatt
I actually check GitHub the other day and didn't see your pull request. I haven't used GitHub this way before and I was sort of expecting to see a big red "You have a Pull Request Waiting" sign. No such luck. Thanks for the ping, I've merged your suggestions. Craig
Feb 09 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Martin Nowak <code+news.digitalmars dawg.eu> writes:
On 02/09/2015 02:47 PM, CraigDillabaugh wrote:
 Google Summer of Code organizational proposals start today.  I will
 submit our proposal in the next day or two.  The evaluation process
 starts on Feb 23rd, so I imagine we should still be able to make updates
 to the Ideas/Mentors pages until that time without trouble. But anyone
 who wants to comment on the proposal should do so soon:

 https://github.com/craig-dillabaugh/dlang-gsoc2015
Anything out yet? Just made a pull request myself.
Feb 13 2015
parent reply Martin Nowak <code+news.digitalmars dawg.eu> writes:
On 02/13/2015 07:56 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
 Anything out yet? Just made a pull request myself.
Also uploaded a rendered pdf (with the links fixed). https://dlang.dawg.eu/dlang-gsoc2015.pdf
Feb 13 2015
parent reply "Rikki Cattermole" <alphaglosined gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 13 February 2015 at 18:59:16 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On 02/13/2015 07:56 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
 Anything out yet? Just made a pull request myself.
Also uploaded a rendered pdf (with the links fixed). https://dlang.dawg.eu/dlang-gsoc2015.pdf
s/CSmed/Cmsed/
Feb 13 2015
parent reply Martin Nowak <code+news.digitalmars dawg.eu> writes:
On 02/13/2015 08:58 PM, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 s/CSmed/Cmsed/
https://github.com/craig-dillabaugh/dlang-gsoc2015/pull/3
Feb 13 2015
parent reply "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 13 February 2015 at 20:54:01 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On 02/13/2015 08:58 PM, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 s/CSmed/Cmsed/
https://github.com/craig-dillabaugh/dlang-gsoc2015/pull/3
Ricki and Martin. Thanks for the fixes. I will integrate your fixes over the weekend. I haven't yet submitted this to Google - likely will do so mid-week next week. Craig
Feb 13 2015
parent reply "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 13 February 2015 at 22:54:42 UTC, CraigDillabaugh 
wrote:
 On Friday, 13 February 2015 at 20:54:01 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On 02/13/2015 08:58 PM, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
 s/CSmed/Cmsed/
https://github.com/craig-dillabaugh/dlang-gsoc2015/pull/3
Ricki and Martin. Thanks for the fixes. I will integrate your fixes over the weekend. I haven't yet submitted this to Google - likely will do so mid-week next week. Craig
Also, Martin have you created a profile yet on Melange?
Feb 13 2015
parent reply "Martin Nowak" <code dawg.eu> writes:
On Friday, 13 February 2015 at 22:59:32 UTC, CraigDillabaugh 
wrote:
 Also, Martin have you created a profile yet on Melange?
I logged into it, what do I need to do?
Feb 19 2015
parent reply "Martin Nowak" <code dawg.eu> writes:
On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 18:00:22 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 I logged into it, what do I need to do?
OK, I have a profile with MartinNowak as public name. How do I connect with dlang?
Feb 19 2015
parent reply "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 18:21:30 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 18:00:22 UTC, Martin Nowak 
 wrote:
 I logged into it, what do I need to do?
OK, I have a profile with MartinNowak as public name. How do I connect with dlang?
I need your Username not your Public Name. If I try to enter your public name it says 'MartinNowak is not a properly-formed identifier'. I tried all the reasonable permutations on your name that I could come up with but it says those don't exist. Can I get your Username?
Feb 19 2015
parent reply "Martin Nowak" <code dawg.eu> writes:
On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 18:31:53 UTC, CraigDillabaugh 
wrote:
 Can I get your Username?
dawg
Feb 19 2015
parent reply "Martin Nowak" <code dawg.eu> writes:
On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 19:19:51 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 dawg
BTW, please mail me for urgent stuff 'code dawg eu'.
Feb 19 2015
parent "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 19:22:11 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 19:19:51 UTC, Martin Nowak 
 wrote:
 dawg
BTW, please mail me for urgent stuff 'code dawg eu'.
I should have guessed that! Anyway, I've now added you, I guess you need to log in to formally accept the invite to be admin. My display says you are an admin anyway. Cheers, Craig
Feb 19 2015
prev sibling parent reply Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
Craig,

I have signed up on Melange as a potential mentor, user name
russel_winder.

--=20
Russel.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n=
et
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder
Feb 13 2015
parent reply "Craig Dillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 14 February 2015 at 06:56:00 UTC, Russel Winder 
wrote:
 Craig,

 I have signed up on Melange as a potential mentor, user name
 russel_winder.
Thank you.
Feb 14 2015
parent reply "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 15 February 2015 at 04:24:12 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh 
wrote:
 On Saturday, 14 February 2015 at 06:56:00 UTC, Russel Winder 
 wrote:
 Craig,

 I have signed up on Melange as a potential mentor, user name
 russel_winder.
Thank you.
Russel, I haven't yet heard from Martin on his Melange name. Do you mind me putting your name down as assistant administrator if by submission time I still haven't heard from Martin (tomorrow or Wednesday). I assume I will be able to fix that after the fact, but I can't even submit the proposal unless of I have an assistant name, and so far you are the only one signed up on Melange that I know of. Cheers, Craig
Feb 16 2015
parent reply Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Mon, 2015-02-16 at 21:20 +0000, CraigDillabaugh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
=20
[=E2=80=A6]
 I haven't yet heard from Martin on his Melange name.  Do you mind me=20
 putting your name down as assistant administrator if by
 submission time I still haven't heard from Martin (tomorrow or=20
 Wednesday).  I assume I will be able to fix that after the fact, but=20
 I can't even submit the proposal unless of I have an
 assistant name, and so far you are the only one signed up on
 Melange that I know of.
That is fine. Consider me duly signed up for the role, albeit=20 temporarily. --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n= et 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder
Feb 17 2015
next sibling parent "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 17 February 2015 at 11:52:15 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 On Mon, 2015-02-16 at 21:20 +0000, CraigDillabaugh via 
 Digitalmars-d wrote:
 
[…]
 I haven't yet heard from Martin on his Melange name.  Do you 
 mind me putting your name down as assistant administrator if by
 submission time I still haven't heard from Martin (tomorrow or 
 Wednesday).  I assume I will be able to fix that after the 
 fact, but I can't even submit the proposal unless of I have an
 assistant name, and so far you are the only one signed up on
 Melange that I know of.
That is fine. Consider me duly signed up for the role, albeit temporarily.
Thanks.
Feb 17 2015
prev sibling parent reply "Craig Dillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 17 February 2015 at 11:52:15 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 On Mon, 2015-02-16 at 21:20 +0000, CraigDillabaugh via 
 Digitalmars-d wrote:
 
[…]
 I haven't yet heard from Martin on his Melange name.  Do you 
 mind me putting your name down as assistant administrator if by
 submission time I still haven't heard from Martin (tomorrow or 
 Wednesday).  I assume I will be able to fix that after the 
 fact, but I can't even submit the proposal unless of I have an
 assistant name, and so far you are the only one signed up on
 Melange that I know of.
That is fine. Consider me duly signed up for the role, albeit temporarily.
Russel. Can you accept my invitation to be adminstrator (perhaps you received and email about this), but who knows, that is the most baffling registration process I've ever been a part of ....
Feb 18 2015
next sibling parent reply "Craig Dillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 04:28:35 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh 
wrote:
 On Tuesday, 17 February 2015 at 11:52:15 UTC, Russel Winder 
 wrote:
 On Mon, 2015-02-16 at 21:20 +0000, CraigDillabaugh via 
 Digitalmars-d wrote:
 
[…]
 I haven't yet heard from Martin on his Melange name.  Do you 
 mind me putting your name down as assistant administrator if 
 by
 submission time I still haven't heard from Martin (tomorrow 
 or Wednesday).  I assume I will be able to fix that after the 
 fact, but I can't even submit the proposal unless of I have an
 assistant name, and so far you are the only one signed up on
 Melange that I know of.
That is fine. Consider me duly signed up for the role, albeit temporarily.
Russel. Can you accept my invitation to be adminstrator (perhaps you received and email about this), but who knows, that is the most baffling registration process I've ever been a part of ....
Oh, so its official now - I think - I've submitted our orgnaizational proposal. I had to copy and paste my beautiful Latex document into a crappy web-form, I am so bitter now. There is still time to add an idea or two to the Idea's page though ... since I've seen some recent chatter on the forums about GSoC project ideas.
Feb 18 2015
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 2/18/15 8:33 PM, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
 Oh, so its official now - I think - I've submitted our orgnaizational
 proposal.  I had to copy and paste my beautiful Latex document into a
 crappy web-form, I am so bitter now.  There is still time to add an idea
 or two to the Idea's page though ... since I've seen some recent chatter
 on the forums about GSoC project ideas.
Yah the PDF looked real nice. Congratulations on taking this to finalization, and good luck to us all! -- Andrei
Feb 19 2015
parent "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 15:36:55 UTC, Andrei 
Alexandrescu wrote:
 On 2/18/15 8:33 PM, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
 Oh, so its official now - I think - I've submitted our 
 orgnaizational
 proposal.  I had to copy and paste my beautiful Latex document 
 into a
 crappy web-form, I am so bitter now.  There is still time to 
 add an idea
 or two to the Idea's page though ... since I've seen some 
 recent chatter
 on the forums about GSoC project ideas.
Yah the PDF looked real nice. Congratulations on taking this to finalization, and good luck to us all! -- Andrei
Thanks. Yes, everyone please keep your fingers crossed (or whatever brings good luck in your part of the world :o)
Feb 19 2015
prev sibling parent reply Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Thu, 2015-02-19 at 04:28 +0000, Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[=E2=80=A6]
=20
 Russel.  Can you accept my invitation to be adminstrator (perhaps=20
 you received and email about this), but who knows, that is the=20
 most baffling registration process I've ever been a part of ....
I logged in and now it tells me I am an administrator. So something did something :-) --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n= et 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder
Feb 19 2015
parent "CraigDillabaugh" <craig.dillabaugh gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 12:12:20 UTC, Russel Winder 
wrote:
 On Thu, 2015-02-19 at 04:28 +0000, Craig Dillabaugh via 
 Digitalmars-d
 wrote:
 […]
 
 Russel.  Can you accept my invitation to be adminstrator 
 (perhaps you received and email about this), but who knows, 
 that is the most baffling registration process I've ever been 
 a part of ....
I logged in and now it tells me I am an administrator. So something did something :-)
So, the Google folks told me you had to accept the invitation, but you apparently did nothing other than log in and now the Melange site is telling me our proposal is now complete. Seems about par for the course. Anyway, thanks Russel! You've been a great help. The person from Google said that I should be able to switch administrators, but they did not seem to have any idea on how that would be done, but I will make sure you don't get stuck as admin. Martin, have you signed up for Melange yet? To busy with the release stuff maybe :o) Cheers, Craig
Feb 19 2015