www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - GSoC 2013: CfM (Call for Mentors)

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
Hello,


Google Summer of code 2013 is accepting applications. Just like in the 
past years, we need a few mentors to ensure a successful event.

This year we plan to get significantly better organized and make sure 
the event is successful in measurable ways (finalized projects or 
committed contributions to dmd/druntime/phobos etc). We have made a 
mistake in the past of approving the GC project by Antti-Ville Tuuainen 
who subsequently became unreachable to follow through with merging his 
project in the mainline. We don't want to repeat such mistakes in the 
future, which means a closer, stronger mentor/mentee relationship.

So please reply to this or email Walter and myself if you have the time 
and inclination to mentor a student this summer. For a detailed mentor's 
manual, peruse http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/.


Thanks,

Andrei
Mar 24 2013
next sibling parent reply "deadalnix" <deadalnix gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 24 March 2013 at 15:52:45 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
 Hello,


 Google Summer of code 2013 is accepting applications. Just like 
 in the past years, we need a few mentors to ensure a successful 
 event.

 This year we plan to get significantly better organized and 
 make sure the event is successful in measurable ways (finalized 
 projects or committed contributions to dmd/druntime/phobos 
 etc). We have made a mistake in the past of approving the GC 
 project by Antti-Ville Tuuainen who subsequently became 
 unreachable to follow through with merging his project in the 
 mainline. We don't want to repeat such mistakes in the future, 
 which means a closer, stronger mentor/mentee relationship.

 So please reply to this or email Walter and myself if you have 
 the time and inclination to mentor a student this summer. For a 
 detailed mentor's manual, peruse 
 http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/.


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Count me in. What should I do ?
Mar 24 2013
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 3/24/13 12:00 PM, deadalnix wrote:
 Count me in. What should I do ?

Thanks! We'll synchronize via email. Andrei
Mar 25 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Adam Wilson" <flyboynw gmail.com> writes:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:52:45 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu  
<SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 Hello,


 Google Summer of code 2013 is accepting applications. Just like in the  
 past years, we need a few mentors to ensure a successful event.

 This year we plan to get significantly better organized and make sure  
 the event is successful in measurable ways (finalized projects or  
 committed contributions to dmd/druntime/phobos etc). We have made a  
 mistake in the past of approving the GC project by Antti-Ville Tuuainen  
 who subsequently became unreachable to follow through with merging his  
 project in the mainline. We don't want to repeat such mistakes in the  
 future, which means a closer, stronger mentor/mentee relationship.

 So please reply to this or email Walter and myself if you have the time  
 and inclination to mentor a student this summer. For a detailed mentor's  
 manual, peruse http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/.


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Count me in! I really enjoyed last years edition and I'd definitely be up for doing it again this year. Although I would be willing to work with anybody that has a good idea, I think Mr. Bothe has an interesting idea for this years work. Compiling D to CIL would be a huge boon to Mono-D as it would make real-time CTFE evaluation a reality. Or at least get us on the right path. We'll have to hammer out what can actually be done in three months. -- Adam Wilson IRC: LightBender Project Coordinator The Horizon Project http://www.thehorizonproject.org/
Mar 24 2013
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 3/24/13 4:36 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
 Count me in! I really enjoyed last years edition and I'd definitely be
 up for doing it again this year. Although I would be willing to work
 with anybody that has a good idea, I think Mr. Bothe has an interesting
 idea for this years work. Compiling D to CIL would be a huge boon to
 Mono-D as it would make real-time CTFE evaluation a reality. Or at least
 get us on the right path. We'll have to hammer out what can actually be
 done in three months.

Sounds great. Should I put you under flyboynw at gmail? Andrei
Mar 25 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Alex_R=F8nne_Petersen?= <alex lycus.org> writes:
On 24-03-2013 16:52, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Hello,


 Google Summer of code 2013 is accepting applications. Just like in the
 past years, we need a few mentors to ensure a successful event.

 This year we plan to get significantly better organized and make sure
 the event is successful in measurable ways (finalized projects or
 committed contributions to dmd/druntime/phobos etc). We have made a
 mistake in the past of approving the GC project by Antti-Ville Tuuainen
 who subsequently became unreachable to follow through with merging his
 project in the mainline. We don't want to repeat such mistakes in the
 future, which means a closer, stronger mentor/mentee relationship.

 So please reply to this or email Walter and myself if you have the time
 and inclination to mentor a student this summer. For a detailed mentor's
 manual, peruse http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/.


 Thanks,

 Andrei

I'll be available as mentor. -- Alex Rnne Petersen alex alexrp.com / alex lycus.org http://lycus.org
Mar 24 2013
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 3/25/13 2:37 AM, Alex Rnne Petersen wrote:
 I'll be available as mentor.

Terrific. You're on! Andrei
Mar 25 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jens Mueller <jens.k.mueller gmx.de> writes:
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 Hello,
 
 
 Google Summer of code 2013 is accepting applications. Just like in
 the past years, we need a few mentors to ensure a successful event.
 
 This year we plan to get significantly better organized and make
 sure the event is successful in measurable ways (finalized projects
 or committed contributions to dmd/druntime/phobos etc). We have made
 a mistake in the past of approving the GC project by Antti-Ville
 Tuuainen who subsequently became unreachable to follow through with
 merging his project in the mainline. We don't want to repeat such
 mistakes in the future, which means a closer, stronger mentor/mentee
 relationship.
 
 So please reply to this or email Walter and myself if you have the
 time and inclination to mentor a student this summer. For a detailed
 mentor's manual, peruse http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/.
 
 
 Thanks,
 
 Andrei

I'd like to mentor a student. Jens
Mar 25 2013
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 3/25/13 5:30 AM, Jens Mueller wrote:
 I'd like to mentor a student.

Added, thanks! Andrei
Mar 25 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent "Don" <turnyourkidsintocash nospam.com> writes:
On Sunday, 24 March 2013 at 20:37:36 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
 On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:52:45 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu 
 <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> wrote:

 Hello,


 Google Summer of code 2013 is accepting applications. Just 
 like in the past years, we need a few mentors to ensure a 
 successful event.

 This year we plan to get significantly better organized and 
 make sure the event is successful in measurable ways 
 (finalized projects or committed contributions to 
 dmd/druntime/phobos etc). We have made a mistake in the past 
 of approving the GC project by Antti-Ville Tuuainen who 
 subsequently became unreachable to follow through with merging 
 his project in the mainline. We don't want to repeat such 
 mistakes in the future, which means a closer, stronger 
 mentor/mentee relationship.

 So please reply to this or email Walter and myself if you have 
 the time and inclination to mentor a student this summer. For 
 a detailed mentor's manual, peruse 
 http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/.


 Thanks,

 Andrei

Count me in! I really enjoyed last years edition and I'd definitely be up for doing it again this year. Although I would be willing to work with anybody that has a good idea, I think Mr. Bothe has an interesting idea for this years work. Compiling D to CIL would be a huge boon to Mono-D as it would make real-time CTFE evaluation a reality. Or at least get us on the right path. We'll have to hammer out what can actually be done in three months.

The reason why CTFE real-time evaluation hasn't happened yet, isn't related to that. It's not particularly hard to do JIT it. You probably imagine that the CTFE engine is given a syntax tree which has been semantically analyzed, and just has to compile it and run it. Just like a backend. Unfortunately, that's not the case. The problem is rather that the interface between compiler and CTFE is very, very messy. So the challenge is knowing what to JIT. Basically, in the compiler, the evil lies in a file called optimize.c which is sort-of part of CTFE, and sort-of not, and has very complicated behaviour. For example: static int k = [1,2,3] [ $ - 2 + { return $-2; }() ]; The delegate literal gets evaluated in CTFE. But, $ exists _outside_ the delegate literal. There were literally more than a hundred of these corner cases. I've been working on them for well over a year, I'm close to getting them all. Until this is done, attempting to compile CTFE code would be an exercise in frustration. You'll get it to work in 95% of cases, and then fail miserably with the rest. Right now, this project is a trap.
Mar 26 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent Martin Nowak <code dawg.eu> writes:
On 03/24/2013 04:52 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 GC project by Antti-Ville Tuuainen

Is the code still floating around somewhere?
Mar 26 2013
prev sibling parent reply Martin Nowak <code dawg.eu> writes:
On 03/24/2013 04:52 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 GC project by Antti-Ville Tuuainen

Is the code still floating around somewhere?
Mar 26 2013
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 3/26/13 12:08 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On 03/24/2013 04:52 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 GC project by Antti-Ville Tuuainen

Is the code still floating around somewhere?

https://github.com/Tuna-Fish/druntime/tree/gc_poolwise_bitmap Andrei
Mar 26 2013
parent Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.olsh gmail.com> writes:
26-Mar-2013 21:10, Andrei Alexandrescu пишет:
 On 3/26/13 12:08 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On 03/24/2013 04:52 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 GC project by Antti-Ville Tuuainen

Is the code still floating around somewhere?

https://github.com/Tuna-Fish/druntime/tree/gc_poolwise_bitmap Andrei

And more recent - the Rainer's fork of it https://github.com/rainers/druntime/tree/gcx_precise -- Dmitry Olshansky
Mar 26 2013