www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - GDMD

reply Russel Winder <russel winder.org.uk> writes:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

It appears that gdmd (and to have that, gdc) is present in the 4.6 GCC
distribution on Debian but not yet in the 4.7. Is this planned or has
there been a problem somewhere?

Thanks.

--=20
Russel.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n=
et
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder
May 09 2012
next sibling parent reply deadalnix <deadalnix gmail.com> writes:
Le 09/05/2012 15:50, Russel Winder a écrit :
 It appears that gdmd (and to have that, gdc) is present in the 4.6 GCC
 distribution on Debian but not yet in the 4.7. Is this planned or has
 there been a problem somewhere?

 Thanks.

This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed, but I'm sure we should do our own repos debian. I would work with debian, ubuntu and mint which is a large user base.
May 09 2012
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 5/9/12 11:42 AM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 Not at all - infact, I've had Matthias informing me every step of the
 way where GCC has got to (a gentle hint that I'm being chased to
 update the build package).

 If you need his details, I'd be happy to pass them onto you and give
 you a rundown of how the 4.6 debian build is structured - the package
 in debian will float down to ubuntu in due course over the next
 release.

Hi Iain, Speaking of gdc/gcc integration, is there hope we'll make it in the 4.8 iteration of gcc next year? I feel quite uninformed in an important matter so any updates would help. Are we on track, anywhere close, off it? Is there anything the community can do? Thanks, Andrei
May 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
On 09/05/12 16:07, deadalnix wrote:
 This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed, but I'm sure
 we should do our own repos debian. I would work with debian, ubuntu and mint
 which is a large user base.

AFAICS both Debian and Ubuntu have the latest gdc-4.6, no? Iain Buclaw mentioned that a 4.7.0 package was in the works for Ubuntu, and I imagine that would work also for Debian without any major hassle. It should also be possible to maintain a GDC PPA on Launchpad for the most up-to-date packages.
May 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> writes:
On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:10:16PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
 On 09/05/12 16:07, deadalnix wrote:
This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed, but
I'm sure we should do our own repos debian. I would work with debian,
ubuntu and mint which is a large user base.

AFAICS both Debian and Ubuntu have the latest gdc-4.6, no?

I'm using Debian's gdc-4.6 (4.6.3-1). Is that the latest? T -- There is no gravity. The earth sucks.
May 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 9 May 2012 16:56, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
 On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:10:16PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
 On 09/05/12 16:07, deadalnix wrote:
This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed, but
I'm sure we should do our own repos debian. I would work with debian,
ubuntu and mint which is a large user base.

AFAICS both Debian and Ubuntu have the latest gdc-4.6, no?

I'm using Debian's gdc-4.6 (4.6.3-1). Is that the latest?

It's the latest in Debian, but as already said - outrageously outdated from the current development branch. -- Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
May 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> writes:
On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 04:58:40PM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 On 9 May 2012 16:56, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
 On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:10:16PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
 On 09/05/12 16:07, deadalnix wrote:
This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed,
but I'm sure we should do our own repos debian. I would work with
debian, ubuntu and mint which is a large user base.

AFAICS both Debian and Ubuntu have the latest gdc-4.6, no?

I'm using Debian's gdc-4.6 (4.6.3-1). Is that the latest?

It's the latest in Debian, but as already said - outrageously outdated from the current development branch.

I see. Is there anything that I can help with? I do have upload privileges to the Debian queue. I don't know if I'd be stepping on the toes of the GCC maintainers though (I assume gdc would be under their umbrella?). T -- "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell. "How come he didn't put 'I think' at the end of it?" -- Anonymous
May 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 9 May 2012 17:35, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
 On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 04:58:40PM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 On 9 May 2012 16:56, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
 On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:10:16PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
 On 09/05/12 16:07, deadalnix wrote:
This package is outrageously outdated. I'm not sure it is planed,
but I'm sure we should do our own repos debian. I would work with
debian, ubuntu and mint which is a large user base.

AFAICS both Debian and Ubuntu have the latest gdc-4.6, no?

I'm using Debian's gdc-4.6 (4.6.3-1). Is that the latest?

It's the latest in Debian, but as already said - outrageously outdated from the current development branch.

I see. Is there anything that I can help with? I do have upload privileges to the Debian queue. I don't know if I'd be stepping on the toes of the GCC maintainers though (I assume gdc would be under their umbrella?).

Not at all - infact, I've had Matthias informing me every step of the way where GCC has got to (a gentle hint that I'm being chased to update the build package). If you need his details, I'd be happy to pass them onto you and give you a rundown of how the 4.6 debian build is structured - the package in debian will float down to ubuntu in due course over the next release. -- Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
May 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
On 09/05/12 18:42, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 Not at all - infact, I've had Matthias informing me every step of the
 way where GCC has got to (a gentle hint that I'm being chased to
 update the build package).

 If you need his details, I'd be happy to pass them onto you and give
 you a rundown of how the 4.6 debian build is structured - the package
 in debian will float down to ubuntu in due course over the next
 release.

Does that mean that we should not expect to see an updated package in the official Ubuntu repositories until 12.10? If so, any chance of a PPA for 12.04 and earlier?
May 09 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> writes:
On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:42:22PM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 On 9 May 2012 17:35, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
 On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 04:58:40PM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 On 9 May 2012 16:56, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
 I'm using Debian's gdc-4.6 (4.6.3-1). Is that the latest?

It's the latest in Debian, but as already said - outrageously outdated from the current development branch.

I see. Is there anything that I can help with? I do have upload privileges to the Debian queue. I don't know if I'd be stepping on the toes of the GCC maintainers though (I assume gdc would be under their umbrella?).

Not at all - infact, I've had Matthias informing me every step of the way where GCC has got to (a gentle hint that I'm being chased to update the build package).

Sorry I didn't quite understand you, so it's OK for me to upload gdc independently of the GCC team then?
 If you need his details, I'd be happy to pass them onto you and give
 you a rundown of how the 4.6 debian build is structured - the package
 in debian will float down to ubuntu in due course over the next
 release.

I'd like to know how to build the latest gdc from source, even if just for my personal use (I just ran into a nasty 64-bit bug in dmd, but my current outdated version of gdc doesn't support the new std.regex which I need, so I'm stuck). I can also upload the package if that would help move things along on this front. Thanks for all your work on gdc!! T -- "Holy war is an oxymoron." -- Lazarus Long
May 10 2012
prev sibling parent Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw ubuntu.com> writes:
On 10 May 2012 20:18, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
 On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 05:42:22PM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 On 9 May 2012 17:35, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
 On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 04:58:40PM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:
 On 9 May 2012 16:56, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
 I'm using Debian's gdc-4.6 (4.6.3-1). Is that the latest?

It's the latest in Debian, but as already said - outrageously outdated from the current development branch.

I see. Is there anything that I can help with? I do have upload privileges to the Debian queue. I don't know if I'd be stepping on the toes of the GCC maintainers though (I assume gdc would be under their umbrella?).

Not at all - infact, I've had Matthias informing me every step of the way where GCC has got to (a gentle hint that I'm being chased to update the build package).

Sorry I didn't quite understand you, so it's OK for me to upload gdc independently of the GCC team then?

If you have a package ready, bounce it through Matthias and he'll take care of the rest.
 If you need his details, I'd be happy to pass them onto you and give
 you a rundown of how the 4.6 debian build is structured - the package
 in debian will float down to ubuntu in due course over the next
 release.

I'd like to know how to build the latest gdc from source, even if just for my personal use (I just ran into a nasty 64-bit bug in dmd, but my current outdated version of gdc doesn't support the new std.regex which I need, so I'm stuck). I can also upload the package if that would help move things along on this front. Thanks for all your work on gdc!!

First off, ensure you have all dependencies installed - this is important otherwise you may spend hours wondering why something doesn't work. Personally for me it's as easy as ./configure --enable-language=d && make. For Debian and Ubuntu when building from vanilla gcc sources, you need to add two new environmental variables in your ~/.bashrc so that the installed compiler is able to find the multiarch location of libraries. -- Iain Buclaw *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';
May 11 2012