www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Dr.Dobb's Blog Portal posts "D's the Real Deal -- Finally"

reply David L. Davis <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> writes:
Jon Erickson posts some positive comments the release of D v1.0 on
the Dr. Dobb's Blog Portal. And said that Walter deserves a pat on
the back for his work on D. ( I know we all would agree totally
with this comment. :) )

Here's the link:
http://www.ddj.com/blog/portal/archives/2007/01/ds_the_real_dea.htm
l

David L.
Jan 10 2007
next sibling parent reply Pragma <ericanderton yahoo.removeme.com> writes:
David L. Davis wrote:
 Jon Erickson posts some positive comments the release of D v1.0 on
 the Dr. Dobb's Blog Portal. And said that Walter deserves a pat on
 the back for his work on D. ( I know we all would agree totally
 with this comment. :) )
 
 Here's the link:
 http://www.ddj.com/blog/portal/archives/2007/01/ds_the_real_dea.htm
 l
 
 David L.

Nice article. It's great to see some genuinely positive press out there, even if it is a little light on the details. ;) For those who are getting a 404, make sure you have that 'l' on the end of your link - it was wrapped and broken in my viewer (Thunderbird) as you can see above. -- - EricAnderton at yahoo
Jan 10 2007
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Pragma wrote:
 David L. Davis wrote:
 Jon Erickson posts some positive comments the release of D v1.0 on
 the Dr. Dobb's Blog Portal. And said that Walter deserves a pat on
 the back for his work on D. ( I know we all would agree totally
 with this comment. :) )

 Here's the link:
 http://www.ddj.com/blog/portal/archives/2007/01/ds_the_real_dea.html

Nice article. It's great to see some genuinely positive press out there, even if it is a little light on the details. ;)

Jon Erickson has always been supportive of D, and has always been very nice to me and easy to work with.
Jan 10 2007
parent Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 Pragma wrote:
 David L. Davis wrote:
 Jon Erickson posts some positive comments the release of D v1.0 on
 the Dr. Dobb's Blog Portal. And said that Walter deserves a pat on
 the back for his work on D. ( I know we all would agree totally
 with this comment. :) )

 Here's the link:
 http://www.ddj.com/blog/portal/archives/2007/01/ds_the_real_dea.html

Nice article. It's great to see some genuinely positive press out there, even if it is a little light on the details. ;)

Jon Erickson has always been supportive of D, and has always been very nice to me and easy to work with.

Jon Erickson .. man that name sounds very familiar .. where did I hear it before?
Jan 10 2007
prev sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"David L. Davis" <SpottedTiger yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:eo3ff5$fom$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Jon Erickson posts some positive comments the release of D v1.0 on
 the Dr. Dobb's Blog Portal. And said that Walter deserves a pat on
 the back for his work on D. ( I know we all would agree totally
 with this comment. :) )

 Here's the link:
 http://www.ddj.com/blog/portal/archives/2007/01/ds_the_real_dea.htm
 l

I get a 404 and searching for the article doesn't yield anything. :S
Jan 10 2007
parent reply "Frank Benoit (keinfarbton)" <benoit tionex.removethispart.de> writes:
 http://www.ddj.com/blog/portal/archives/2007/01/ds_the_real_dea.htm
 l

I get a 404 and searching for the article doesn't yield anything. :S

Jan 10 2007
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Frank Benoit (keinfarbton)" <benoit tionex.removethispart.de> wrote in 
message news:eo3s3n$1147$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 http://www.ddj.com/blog/portal/archives/2007/01/ds_the_real_dea.htm
 l

I get a 404 and searching for the article doesn't yield anything. :S


Stupid newsgroups! :)
Jan 10 2007
parent reply Oskar Linde <oskar.lindeREM OVEgmail.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "Frank Benoit (keinfarbton)" <benoit tionex.removethispart.de> wrote in 
 message news:eo3s3n$1147$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 http://www.ddj.com/blog/portal/archives/2007/01/ds_the_real_dea.htm
 l



Stupid newsgroups! :)

No. Stupid web-interface. For example, RFC 3676 states: """If faced with such a word which exceeds 78 characters (but less than 998 characters, the [SMTP] limit on line length), the agent SHOULD send the word as is and exceed the 78-character limit on line length.""" -- /Oskar
Jan 11 2007
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Oskar Linde wrote:
 Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "Frank Benoit (keinfarbton)" <benoit tionex.removethispart.de> wrote 
 in message news:eo3s3n$1147$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 http://www.ddj.com/blog/portal/archives/2007/01/ds_the_real_dea.htm
 l



Stupid newsgroups! :)

No. Stupid web-interface. For example, RFC 3676 states: """If faced with such a word which exceeds 78 characters (but less than 998 characters, the [SMTP] limit on line length), the agent SHOULD send the word as is and exceed the 78-character limit on line length."""

For what it's worth, Thunderbird breaks up the link as well. Drives me crazy. Sean
Jan 11 2007
parent reply Bradley Smith <digitalmars-com baysmith.com> writes:
Thunderbird line wrapping is configurable.
See Tools/Options.../Composition/General/Wrap plain text messages at _
characters.


Sean Kelly wrote:
 Oskar Linde wrote:
 Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "Frank Benoit (keinfarbton)" <benoit tionex.removethispart.de> wrote 
 in message news:eo3s3n$1147$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 http://www.ddj.com/blog/portal/archives/2007/01/ds_the_real_dea.htm
 l



Stupid newsgroups! :)

No. Stupid web-interface. For example, RFC 3676 states: """If faced with such a word which exceeds 78 characters (but less than 998 characters, the [SMTP] limit on line length), the agent SHOULD send the word as is and exceed the 78-character limit on line length."""

For what it's worth, Thunderbird breaks up the link as well. Drives me crazy. Sean

Jan 11 2007
next sibling parent Frits van Bommel <fvbommel REMwOVExCAPSs.nl> writes:
Bradley Smith wrote:
 Thunderbird line wrapping is configurable.
 See Tools/Options.../Composition/General/Wrap plain text messages at _ 
 characters.

For the record, start with Edit/Preferences on Linux. Also, I think this isn't Thunderbird's fault; it looks like it was posted that way. (And for the pedantic: the OP has 'User-Agent: PHP News Reader v2.6.4 (CDSHEEN)' in its headers so I'm pretty sure it wasn't Thunderbird ;) )
Jan 11 2007
prev sibling parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Bradley Smith wrote:
 Thunderbird line wrapping is configurable.
 See Tools/Options.../Composition/General/Wrap plain text messages at _ 
 characters.
 

Why would a program need to be "configured" just to do the right thing? That's just wrong.
Jan 12 2007
parent Oskar Linde <oskar.lindeREM OVEgmail.com> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Bradley Smith wrote:
 Thunderbird line wrapping is configurable.
 See Tools/Options.../Composition/General/Wrap plain text messages at _ 
 characters.

Why would a program need to be "configured" just to do the right thing? That's just wrong.

It doesn't need to be configured. Thunderbird does the right thing by default. No matter what column you set your Thunderbird to wrap at, it will not break URLs or other long words. The OP used the PHP news reader interface and that interface did the wrong thing and broke the link when posting the message. Thunderbird has no way of knowing that that wasn't intended. /Oskar
Jan 12 2007