www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Distributing implib?

reply "Jeremy DeHaan" <dehaan.jeremiah gmail.com> writes:
Hi all,

I am doing some updates to the C back end of my binding, and I 
wanted to know what it would entail to be able to distribute 
implib along with my CMake things. I was just thinking that it 
would be nice to automatically produce .lib files when it builds 
32bit libs on Windows systems. According to the license it comes 
with, I would need to obtain a redistribution license for this. 
Anyone else had any experience with that?

Thanks much!
      Jeremy
Apr 27 2014
next sibling parent Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
On 4/27/2014 1:53 PM, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
 According to the license [implib] comes with, I would need to obtain a
 redistribution license for this. Anyone else had any experience with that?

Standard procedure is to just email Walter your request. There's a JS "Send email" button here: http://walterbright.com/
Apr 27 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "Trent Forkert" <trentforkert gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 27 April 2014 at 17:53:18 UTC, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
 Hi all,

 I am doing some updates to the C back end of my binding, and I 
 wanted to know what it would entail to be able to distribute 
 implib along with my CMake things. I was just thinking that it 
 would be nice to automatically produce .lib files when it 
 builds 32bit libs on Windows systems. According to the license 
 it comes with, I would need to obtain a redistribution license 
 for this. Anyone else had any experience with that?

 Thanks much!
      Jeremy

Nick already answered your question, but I have another suggestion for you. Set things up to look for implib (or perhaps coffimplib[1]), and complain if CMake can't find it. This tool should be part of the user's tools and environment, not part of your project. This may be my Linux bias talking, but I would tend to not want to ship binaries as part of my source. The good thing about CMake is that it can help you deal with your dependencies in a sane way. - Trent [1]ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/coffimplib.zip
Apr 27 2014
prev sibling next sibling parent "JN" <666total wp.pl> writes:
On Monday, 28 April 2014 at 03:09:32 UTC, Trent Forkert wrote:
 This may be my Linux bias talking, but I would tend to not want 
 to ship binaries as part of my source. The good thing about 
 CMake is that it can help you deal with your dependencies in a 
 sane way.

  - Trent

 [1]ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/coffimplib.zip

Distributing sources is the Linux way. On Windows people prefer a binary library (at least in C/C++ world) and a header file to import (in case of D the header would just be source probably).
Apr 28 2014
prev sibling parent "Jeremy DeHaan" <dehaan.jeremiah gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 28 April 2014 at 03:09:32 UTC, Trent Forkert wrote:
 On Sunday, 27 April 2014 at 17:53:18 UTC, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
 Hi all,

 I am doing some updates to the C back end of my binding, and I 
 wanted to know what it would entail to be able to distribute 
 implib along with my CMake things. I was just thinking that it 
 would be nice to automatically produce .lib files when it 
 builds 32bit libs on Windows systems. According to the license 
 it comes with, I would need to obtain a redistribution license 
 for this. Anyone else had any experience with that?

 Thanks much!
     Jeremy

Nick already answered your question, but I have another suggestion for you. Set things up to look for implib (or perhaps coffimplib[1]), and complain if CMake can't find it. This tool should be part of the user's tools and environment, not part of your project. This may be my Linux bias talking, but I would tend to not want to ship binaries as part of my source. The good thing about CMake is that it can help you deal with your dependencies in a sane way. - Trent [1]ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/coffimplib.zip

That's not a bad idea, but it would suck for people that might not know what the heck implib even is and make them have to search for it. I'd like them to be able to build the library with the right import libraries right out of the box.
Apr 29 2014