www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Deprecation message of library functions should state the replacement

reply Eduard Staniloiu <edi33416 gmail.com> writes:
Hi guys,

I've just build druntime on Windows and we are displaying the 
following deprecation message:

src\core\sys\windows\odbcinst.d(157): Deprecation: function 
core.sys.windows.odbcinst.SQLInstallTranslatorW is deprecated.

I believe that we should also state with what should the 
deprecated function be replaced.

My 2 cents,
Eduard
Oct 10
parent reply bauss <jj_1337 live.dk> writes:
On Tuesday, 10 October 2017 at 11:48:48 UTC, Eduard Staniloiu 
wrote:
 Hi guys,

 I've just build druntime on Windows and we are displaying the 
 following deprecation message:

 src\core\sys\windows\odbcinst.d(157): Deprecation: function 
 core.sys.windows.odbcinst.SQLInstallTranslatorW is deprecated.

 I believe that we should also state with what should the 
 deprecated function be replaced.

 My 2 cents,
 Eduard
They usually do, I just assume it was forgotten there and if you know which function is to replace it, then simply create a pr?
Oct 10
parent reply Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Tuesday, 10 October 2017 at 12:57:36 UTC, bauss wrote:
 On Tuesday, 10 October 2017 at 11:48:48 UTC, Eduard Staniloiu 
 wrote:
 Hi guys,

 I've just build druntime on Windows and we are displaying the 
 following deprecation message:

 src\core\sys\windows\odbcinst.d(157): Deprecation: function 
 core.sys.windows.odbcinst.SQLInstallTranslatorW is deprecated.

 I believe that we should also state with what should the 
 deprecated function be replaced.

 My 2 cents,
 Eduard
They usually do, I just assume it was forgotten there and if you know which function is to replace it, then simply create a pr?
Or simply remove it as it has been deprecated since more than two years: https://github.com/dlang/druntime/blob/8fbcc2d819a84a5340cc6ac724320cae3561cb3b/src/core/sys/windows/odbcinst.d
Oct 10
parent Eduard Staniloiu <edi33416 gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 10 October 2017 at 13:56:36 UTC, Seb wrote:
 On Tuesday, 10 October 2017 at 12:57:36 UTC, bauss wrote:
 On Tuesday, 10 October 2017 at 11:48:48 UTC, Eduard Staniloiu 
 wrote:
 Hi guys,

 I've just build druntime on Windows and we are displaying the 
 following deprecation message:

 src\core\sys\windows\odbcinst.d(157): Deprecation: function 
 core.sys.windows.odbcinst.SQLInstallTranslatorW is deprecated.

 I believe that we should also state with what should the 
 deprecated function be replaced.

 My 2 cents,
 Eduard
They usually do, I just assume it was forgotten there and if you know which function is to replace it, then simply create a pr?
Or simply remove it as it has been deprecated since more than two years: https://github.com/dlang/druntime/blob/8fbcc2d819a84a5340cc6ac724320cae3561cb3b/src/core/sys/windows/odbcinst.d
I'm not sure we should remove it since the replacement is available starting with ODBC 3.x [0]. I've made a PR [1] that states the replacement function in the deprecation message. [0] - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/odbc/reference/syntax/sqlinstalltranslator-function [1] - https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1936
Oct 10